All Eyez on Me 20th Anniversary

J Dog

Classic in every way. Fresh off five gunshots. Fresh outta prison. He hit the studio like a man possessed.  Many classic songs. Rap's first double album. One of the greatest ever.

Nice write up http://hiphopdx.com/editorials/id.3209/title.all-eyez-on-him-celebrating-2pacs-magnum-opus

Edited by J Dog

2 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

Killer opener.  Killer first disc. A classic in its own right. 

Second disc is shit as balls though. 

Picture Me Rollin, All Eyez On Me, When We Ride, Rather be Your hooray for tolerance!, Aint Hard to Find, U Cant C Me, how are these shit songs you Tamil Tiger rebel?!? :lol:

One of the key albums of my youth, aint even listened to it in years and i still know every word end to end.

On a side note his uncle Mutulu Shakur might be getting released, having served half of a 60 yr sentence.

96 was an embarassment of riches in terms of hip hop albums released, the productivity of that year was mindblowing.

Edited by Len B'stard

23 hours ago, RussTCB said:

And it kicks off in such a bad ass way:

Let's...get ready...to ruuuuummmmble. Great opening track. That's what an opening track should do.

Big shout out to Daz Dillinger who produced that. Everything Daz produced on it is a gem. He really is an underrated producer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Picture Me Rollin, All Eyez On Me, When We Ride, Rather be Your hooray for tolerance!, Aint Hard to Find, U Cant C Me, how are these shit songs you Tamil Tiger rebel?!? :lol:

One of the key albums of my youth, aint even listened to it in years and i still know every word end to end.

On a side note his uncle Mutulu Shakur might be getting released, having served half of a 60 yr sentence.

96 was an embarassment of riches in terms of hip hop albums released, the productivity of that year was mindblowing.

Competition man. Everyone was killin it. You couldn't come with some weak shit or you got left behind.

I never got the hate on Disk 2. On top of those you mentioned, Wonda Why They Call U Bytch, Thug Passion, Shorty Wanna Be a Thug, everyone I know loves those. And Holla at Me, damn, if Against All Odds was the realest shit he ever wrote, then Holla at Me is the second realest. One of his best songs ever.

Agree 100% with the songs you mentioned off of disk 2, only song on that thats really like...not up to par is Thug Passion.  Even Check Out Time, which certain people cite, is pretty good i think.  Wonda Why They Call U Bitch is classic, same with Holla at Me, cool to see your respect for that one, sounds like he's really talking about something that happened, he sounds PISSED in that song.

7 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Agree 100% with the songs you mentioned off of disk 2, only song on that thats really like...not up to par is Thug Passion.  Even Check Out Time, which certain people cite, is pretty good i think.  Wonda Why They Call U Bitch is classic, same with Holla at Me, cool to see your respect for that one, sounds like he's really talking about something that happened, he sounds PISSED in that song.

Yeah I can see how we don't love Thug Passion, but I can't lie, I know many, many females that be like, uhhh-ohhhh that's my shit, when Thug Passion comes on. Plus I love how Pac didn't go back and fix his fucked up intro....I ain't trying to turn you hooray for tolerance!z into alcohols, alcoholics lol. And yes, he is very pissed in Holla At Me. Venom.

Speaking of venom, Hit Em Up. Now as big of an asshole Suge is, let me tell you why that motherfucker is a hell of a business man. Cali Love comes out, becomes an instant classic. But on the album we get the remix (which some people knock, but honestly, the remix is so west coast it's not even funny), so people were like wtf where's the original Cali Love. This smart motherfucker Suge, after the album is out, releases How Do U Want It as a single. On that single are the original California Love and the unreleased Hit Em Up. So what do the millions of people do that just bought the album? They go out and buy that single, because it has the og Cali Love and some diss song that people are saying Pac goes after Biggie.  So that single goes like triple platinum. Money on top of money.

For me, the best diss track of all time. Vicious. My man went to war.

That is killer. I love how he says, "bitch hooray for tolerance! get bloooown awaaaay" just how he says that is hard. "Heard they call you big poppa how you figga, cause to me you'll always be a phony fat hooray for tolerance!" Pac did not give a fuck :lol:

One of the best decisions for All Eyez On Me was letting Dj Quik oversee everything. Before that album, Dre oversaw everybodys albums. But I think Quik got Pac better than Dre. He sounds absolutely perfect over the production.

5 minutes ago, J Dog said:

That is killer. I love how he says, "bitch hooray for tolerance! get bloooown awaaaay" just how he says that is hard. "Heard they call you big poppa how you figga, cause to me you'll always be a phony fat hooray for tolerance!" Pac did not give a fuck :lol:

One of the best decisions for All Eyez On Me was letting Dj Quik oversee everything. Before that album, Dre oversaw everybodys albums. But I think Quik got Pac better than Dre. He sounds absolutely perfect over the production.

You cross eyed down syndrome crackbaby :lol:  Dre didn't do shit really, two tracks...after that it's Quik and Jose Johnny J, the cuban militant.  Who died jumping off a prison balcony btw, suicide.

Edited by Len B'stard

33 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

You cross eyed down syndrome crackbaby :lol:  Dre didn't do shit really, two tracks...after that it's Quik and Jose Johnny J, the cuban militant.  Who died jumping off a prison balcony btw, suicide.

Damn that's cold. I love Biggie and everything, but Pac murdered him.

Now, Johnny J, that is a guy who got Pac. His whole career, that guy complimented him perfectly.

Good story about Quik. He said his first session for the album he got to the studio in the middle of the night. Pac was in the booth just spittin and freestyling. Snoop and Nate Dogg were sitting on a couple of speakers smoking a blunt, listening. Quik was like, yep, this is home.

Quik has got to be one of the most underrated faces on the west coast scene, him and Warren G.  And y'know, for all the talk about Suge being a dick, i don't think he really is like that, i mean the power went to his head at a point just like it did with everybody, including Pac, but he did a lot of good for artists not getting paid.

People try and seperate Pac from Suge and all that madness after the fact but the truth is Pac was on his side, he screamed Death Row cuz he meant it and he was just as involved in the beatdowns in the record label and general objectionable shit.  They basically ganged up on Sam Sneed, for no good reason, just sayin' he weren't reppin' hard enough and piled in and beat the fuck out of him and Tupac was one of the biggest involved in the stomping.

Now i don't mind people beating the fuck out of some tough character for good reason, I mean it ain't nice but there's a point to it...but what the fuck you wanna air Sam Sneed out for 'not reppin' hard?', what kinda shit is that?  I mean i love Pac as much as the next man but you have to be truthful about shit, thats kinda...bully shit.  So it's not like Suge was alone in this shit.

Edited by Len B'stard

6 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Quik has got to be one of the most underrated faces on the west coast scene, him and Warren G.

This is why I fuck with you. I love Dre, but Quik and Warren G and Daz, those guys embodied the west coast.

Yeah, them boys were wild. Suge, Pac, all of them. I mean at that time Death Row Studios was a gang hangout. Shit I can't blame Pac for liking Suge. My man was sitting in prison watching his career, and a piece of his life, just waste away. And that's right after damn near being killed. And hear comes this big bad motherfucker writing a million dollar check for your bail, putting you on a private jet to freedom. Yeah, Suge is a bad guy, but he did a lot for hip hop.

One more thing about that. People say Suge changed Pac and made him more thug. Nah. Being set up and shot 5 times, thinking your friends stabbed you in the back, and spending a year in a maximum security prison probably had a little something to do with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

This is why I fuck with you. I love Dre, but Quik and Warren G and Daz, those guys embodied the west coast.

Yeah, them boys were wild. Suge, Pac, all of them. I mean at that time Death Row Studios was a gang hangout. Shit I can't blame Pac for liking Suge. My man was sitting in prison watching his career, and a piece of his life, just waste away. And that's right after damn near being killed. And hear comes this big bad motherfucker writing a million dollar check for your bail, putting you on a private jet to freedom. Yeah, Suge is a bad guy, but he did a lot for hip hop.

One more thing about that. People say Suge changed Pac and made him more thug. Nah. Being set up and shot 5 times, thinking your friends stabbed you in the back, and spending a year in a maximum security prison probably had a little something to do with it.

Daz and Kurupt were lethal, Kurupt is from a distance but even Daz, he could seriously flow...and was mean with it, its not mistake Pac had them on Got My Mind Made Up, the song designed to prove West Coast MCs could stand alongside their East Coast counterparts, he had Deck, Meth and Red there, hottest MCs of the day, to prove a point i think.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm with the re-mix. It's almost the perfect west coast beat.

Daz was mean with it wasn't he. I love his style. Maybe not the most lyrical mc, but great delivery. Raw. He's a self taught producer too. He said he watched Dre and Warren G make The Chronic and just soaked all that shit in. And Kurupt, when he goes in man, I'm not scared to say he can stand with anybody.

Don't you just love Red and Meth on that track? Not just because they both drop great verses, but like, they were like fuck all the beef, we can go to Cali and hang with them Death Row boys. Just shows a lot about respect on both sides.

Edited by J Dog

Tupac is an interesting artists in that he is inextricably and indelibly linked with gangster rap and all that comes with it, yet if you ever see him talk when he was younger, he was nothing but "please", "thank you", "yes sir" and talking about how he had his heart broken when he tried to treat women nice with dates, flowers, chocolates and poetry and all they wanted was a rough ghetto dude. :lol:

On 2/19/2016 at 8:46 PM, PappyTron said:

Tupac is an interesting artists in that he is inextricably and indelibly linked with gangster rap and all that comes with it, yet if you ever see him talk when he was younger, he was nothing but "please", "thank you", "yes sir" and talking about how he had his heart broken when he tried to treat women nice with dates, flowers, chocolates and poetry and all they wanted was a rough ghetto dude. :lol:

Pac - Oh, well can I come over there?
Girl - If you want to.
Pac - Do I want to? Do a bear shit in the woods and wipe his ass with a rabbit.

:lol: (What's Ya Phone #)