Can someone in the know please explain to me why this band is still doing FUCK ALL in terms of promotion?

Bobbo

They're selling out shows easy... They don't need to do promotion.

Interviews would be nice though... Live TV performances would be nice... The fact that axl did more promotion for the 2002 tour/planned CD release than a huge reunion tour is interesting. Axl did a ton of interviews, the VMAs, there were commercials... Right now we have NOTHING, even from Slash and duff which is unusual. My guess is Axl is keeping everyone silent for some reason.

5 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

If the shows sell out, why waste any (more) money on promotion? A few interviews with the Big Three would be nice, though. I'm hoping they'll do some interviews in April.

but that's not how promotion works, do you see coca cola stop their advertisement just because "they sell well"...

Promotion is not for the shows, each promoter need to cover that, but we're not even asking for promotion, we're asking for information...... 

either way, they're the ones in the business, they'll know what's best for them, but imho, this is loosing momentum... HELL i think i used to come here more often when they were separate

• Like 1

As people have pointed out, why do they even need to? They instantly sold out their shows and you have to be living under a rock if you're into music and don't know GNR are back together. Honestly, the people who are interested, already know. 

Can't believe they're finally back together and people are still complaining. This place lol 

Edited by OJones90
  • Like 1

GNR fans are so used to being bummed up the arse they no longer notice! I hate to break it to you people but bands do interviews. Bands who are selling out tours comfortably do interviews. Reunited bands do interviews. It is simply what bands do. Slash and Duff did interviews freely before they signed up to Axl's charade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It drums up hype for an incoming tour, and potentially sells copies of their back catalogue - people who do not own it but have been attracted to the hype of the impending reunion?

there isnt much money in album sales anymore though... ppl that might go buy the back catalog will more than likely be those that attend the gigs

9 hours ago, Bobbo said:

There's no way they don't know who's in and out of the band by now with all these shows fastly approaching. So what's the deal with the Area 51 noise still? I've tried to be optimistic, trying to come up with some rhyme and/or reason why they're still so fucking gay with this shit, and have come up with nothing logical. Why aren't at least Axl, Slash, and Duff talking to people? So far this band's being promoted (even by the band itself) as, essentially, a trio. What's the fat fucking hold up?

It's completely and utterly inexcusable at this point.

Let me show you what you would probably post if the band was doing heavy promotion of the upcoming tour:

"With the tour quickly approaching, I can't believe how much GNR is selling out with all the TV commercials and print advertising in magazines.  Are they taking a page out of the KISS playbook? I've tried to be optimistic, trying to come up with some rhyme and/or reason why they're so fucking gay with all these late night interviews and MTV spots, and have come up with nothing logical other than they're selling out. Why aren't at least Axl, Slash, and Duff being a little cryptic?  So far this band's being promoted like the latest diet fad on TV. What's the fat fucking commercialized hell?

It's completely and utterly inexcusable at this point.  Sell outs."  

That's what we'd be hearing if they were heavily promoting things.   Shit if you do, shit if you don't.  You can't please everybody.

And seriously dude... there are a lot of things in life that are WAY more important than GNR.  You should be thrilled the old guys are getting back together again and the future is seemingly looking bright.  

CHILL.

• Like 3

Another point too is GNR has never been famous for promotion! We all know their own lawyers have taken care of upcoming show details... Maybe their thinking is let's see how these 6 shows go first in 3 diff venue atmospheres and go from there? We all know Slash and Axl can be a train wreck! But they wouldn't start this if lawyers didn't agree on terms... No frickin way Axl and Slash sat down with pen and paper. Lawyers did the taking beyond reconciliation stage. Life isn't about handshakes anymore!

1 hour ago, Matt13 said:

Let me show you what you would probably post if the band was doing heavy promotion of the upcoming tour:

"With the tour quickly approaching, I can't believe how much GNR is selling out with all the TV commercials and print advertising in magazines.  Are they taking a page out of the KISS playbook? I've tried to be optimistic, trying to come up with some rhyme and/or reason why they're so fucking gay with all these late night interviews and MTV spots, and have come up with nothing logical other than they're selling out. Why aren't at least Axl, Slash, and Duff being a little cryptic?  So far this band's being promoted like the latest diet fad on TV. What's the fat fucking commercialized hell?

It's completely and utterly inexcusable at this point.  Sell outs."  

That's what we'd be hearing if they were heavily promoting things.   Shit if you do, shit if you don't.  You can't please everybody.

And seriously dude... there are a lot of things in life that are WAY more important than GNR.  You should be thrilled the old guys are getting back together again and the future is seemingly looking bright.  

CHILL.

Uh, no. That's just absolutely absurd. Did I really miss something? Did this fanbase really go full retard?

How much would it really financially cost the band to give even a print interview or two and let us in on what's going on so far, and what's the game plan. Axl and Slash are back together. Axl and Slash are actually back together. Do you even remember how far fetched that concept was a month or two ago? You'd get laughed the fuck out of here even joking about it. Why is the premise behind it such a secret when the secret's already out? Why can't they let their fan base in on fuckin' anything? No logic in any of this.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tsinindy said:

They are selling out shows with high priced tickets....they don't need to do anything more.   This has also been discussed ad nauseum to this point.  

How about communication with your FANS???

this is one of the 2-3 biggest reunions in rock history. And we still don't know anything except the dates for a couple shows. 

Who is in the band?

Touring plans?

New album? New songs to be played on tour?

Who cares about promotion. How about respecting the people who have supported the band for 30 years? How about throwing a bone to the people you want to fork over a couple hundred dollars to buy your concert tickets. 

GnR is One of the least FAN friendly bands out there. 

For people on this board to act like GnR is doing the right thing.....it really is mind blowing. 

• Like 2

You lot are conjuring up excuses for a band who do not officially possess a drummer or a rhythm guitarist!! That is how much we are misinformed. We do not really know who is drumming or playing rhythm. We suspect who it is (Richard and Frank) but we cannot be 100%. They expect us to fork out £2000 for VIP seats with humus, prawn cocktails and a guided tour of Slash's toilet yet they have not even got the common decency to tell us who is playing drums at this occasion!

Fuck this reunion. It is shite. It is just Slash and Duff spreading the arse cheeks for Axl, for the big pay off. It is Guns reduced to whores. Unless Stradlin arrives with some new songs I'm not interested. I'm the biggest critic of Chinese Democracy, an immensely flawed album, but at least it was new stuff and looking in a forward direction. This is merely cash obsessed whoring. It is thoroughly depressing. I mean there are people on this very forum looking forward to ''Axl, Slash and Duff making lots of money'' - and writing posts like this! Where is the art?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Archtop said:

I'm in agreement with Bobbo I feel your frustration on this one, as mentioned in other posts I really don't get the lack of information. 

I'm not even talking promotion, as several people have plainly put it, why bother when there's no need. 

but IMO a little insight would go a long way, who's in, who's out, a rehearsal tweet, whatever. Just a little to keep me going until April. 

Am I bitching, am i crybaby nope, I just have no more patience for something I've waited for over 20 years.

little tip-bits would keep me happy. I mean this in the light heartiest of ways, I haven't lost any sleep over it ...yet. 

Thank you for your post. Nice to see there are still some common sense posters on board and not just those who praise everything Axl and TB does. 

11 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

At this point the only people being gay are the ones still complaing about how this band goes about their business. You should finally know after 30 years. And as is seen by ticket sales, promo is not needed at this point. And crybabies, who can't wait 2 months to get their answers are not needed either.

Not to be PC Principal but let's chill with the inflammatory language.

• Like 1

promotion and being fan friendly are two different things... whenever someone agrees with what the band is doing theyre a reunionist axl worshiper lol i just think its a smart business move and it looks like its working so far... some ppl are gonna go thinking axl might be in shape. others never knew that he wasnt... ever stop n think it wasnt his choice to pull out of kimmel?

dont get me wrong id love some promos and interviews and i think we'll get some... part of it might be to build up mystique... maybe theyll open up after vegas.. im sure at least slash and duff will... i doubt theyd sign a gag order... my hope is that theyre busy recording though

but when it comes down to it the title of the thread asked why theyre not promoting. not why they dont let the fans know what theyre paying for before they pay for it