Can someone in the know please explain to me why this band is still doing FUCK ALL in terms of promotion?

Bobbo

9 minutes ago, maynard said:

Bobbo is right. This silence is stupid to say the least. Let's hope things pick up soon. This can't be another wasted chance. 

Why is it stupid?  What constitutes 'silence'?  Last I checked, GNR has announced a reunion and the beginnings of a tour.  Real dates.  Real shows.  Their website has been updated.  Members of the band are sharing the news on social media.  

I don't call that silence.  

And if you're talking about the lack of interviews or whatever, why is that stupid?  All the shows are sold out!  There's no need to do any promotion.  The mystique alone is brilliant marketing.  

Nothing this band does will EVER make everyone happy.  Many GNR fans are certifiable.  The band is getting back together and going on tour and people still manage to complain about them.  So called fans.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm not a fan of the whole no communication way of doing that's that TB seems to love, but they also apparently don't need any promotion as they're selling out shows with no problem whatsoever.

Maybe they don't need to promote their shows, but what about doing some interviews, public appearances together, public statements, etc, that would indicate that this is a new exciting phase of GN'R? Something that suggests that the band is thrilled about what is happening. It doesn't all have to be motivated by money, it could be motivated be genuine excitement.

• Like 3

I see "Team Brazil" being mentioned a lot in this thread - who says they have anything to do with it?

Ultimately we don't know if the decision not to promote is Axl's, TB's, Slash/Duff's or a combination of all. With the (cancelled?) last-minute Kimmel appearance and the lack of anything since, it seems clear that they've made a contentious decision to keep people in the dark.

Reasons? Maybe it's to minimise the chance of a public implosion before the big event? Maybe there's an idea that silence will fuel speculation and keep some mystery around things? Maybe Axl doesn't want to front awkward questions about the reasons he finally decided to reunite with the old guys - people are ultimately going to point to the dollar signs and it's going to be difficult to frame this as an "organic" reunion of old friends destined to play together after two decades of shit-slinging. 

Maybe they just want to let the shows speak for themselves? We won't really know - but I expect if we've heard nothing by now, we won't know anything for sure until the moment they actually take the stage. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

GNR fans are so used to being bummed up the arse they no longer notice! I hate to break it to you people but bands do interviews. Bands who are selling out tours comfortably do interviews. Reunited bands do interviews. It is simply what bands do. Slash and Duff did interviews freely before they signed up to Axl's charade.

Unless they are a band who choose to avoid doing interviews. Of which there are plenty. 

10 minutes ago, highvoltage said:

I see "Team Brazil" being mentioned a lot in this thread - who says they have anything to do with it?

Ultimately we don't know if the decision not to promote is Axl's, TB's, Slash/Duff's or a combination of all. With the (cancelled?) last-minute Kimmel appearance and the lack of anything since, it seems clear that they've made a contentious decision to keep people in the dark.

Reasons? Maybe it's to minimise the chance of a public implosion before the big event? Maybe there's an idea that silence will fuel speculation and keep some mystery around things? Maybe Axl doesn't want to front awkward questions about the reasons he finally decided to reunite with the old guys - people are ultimately going to point to the dollar signs and it's going to be difficult to frame this as an "organic" reunion of old friends destined to play together after two decades of shit-slinging. 

Maybe they just want to let the shows speak for themselves? We won't really know - but I expect if we've heard nothing by now, we won't know anything for sure until the moment they actually take the stage. 

You´re right. Probably they just followed orders and shut up about it. And that brings yet again the issue of TB as good managers of the band. Is that the proper attitude a manager of such big band should have? Maybe Axl, Slash and Duff want TB just to be like robots. Is that how things should be handle?

SoulMonster is right. There is or it seems to be lack of excitement from the band´s part about the reunion and shows.

It's because they have a  fucking terribly incompetent management team and a lead singer who really doesn't give a flying fuck. It's disappointing to see Slash and Duff go along with this bullshit but it truly is the worst promotion for a "reunion" I've ever seen and totally disrespectful to the fans to not be upfront with who's in the band. It really is a fucking joke.  the reason they aren't being upfront with who's in the and is clear though. They want to pass this off as a full on reunion, they want the public and fans to think it is and the longer they keep that illusion going the better it is for their bank accounts. The moment they come clean that it's just some hybrid "reunion" the luster comes off. They're assholes plain and simple. 

Edited by Bono
  • Like 2

Maybe they just don't want to do any at the moment.. Axl clearly does't like press and is probably trying to get in the best shape as possible so someone doesn't start a new topic about his weight. Slash always seems shy and duff... well no offence to duff but  I'd wouldn't  be over excited to only see him on the television. We are in February, the gigs are not until April .. what do you want them to do? go on fallon and do a sketch! They are probably working personnel matters out and I'd don't want to see a awkward interview like Motley Crue when they are hugging it out on tele but you can see they still hate each other. 

12 minutes ago, SSHGUNS said:

what do you want them to do? go on fallon and do a sketch!

Axl to tweet that he is so excited about the new GN'R lineup and having Slash and Duff back in the band? Some appearances together, the three of them, where they demonstrate to the world that the feud is over and that we can truly look forward to the upcoming shows? An interview where they together talk about what's to come and how great it is going to be? Something, anything, that signifies that this is a new era of GN'R and not just the closure to an old era? Anything that would imply that the band is excited and so should we?

I am not saying we haven't had anything at all. There's been some video promos. But is this different than what we have had these last few years? Is there anything form Axl or Slash or Duff that suggests GN'R touring in 2016 is any different than GN'R touring in 2014, besides a lineup change? Even with Dj joining the band back in 2009 (or was it 2008?) Axl made a customary public statement about how great that was. Does he now not even bother to try to fool us into believing this is not a big personal failure for him or to believe this isn't just about the money for all involved?

Edited by SoulMonster
typo
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You lot are conjuring up excuses for a band who do not officially possess a drummer or a rhythm guitarist!! That is how much we are misinformed. We do not really know who is drumming or playing rhythm. We suspect who it is (Richard and Frank) but we cannot be 100%. They expect us to fork out £2000 for VIP seats with humus, prawn cocktails and a guided tour of Slash's toilet yet they have not even got the common decency to tell us who is playing drums at this occasion!

Fuck this reunion. It is shite. It is just Slash and Duff spreading the arse cheeks for Axl, for the big pay off. It is Guns reduced to whores. Unless Stradlin arrives with some new songs I'm not interested. I'm the biggest critic of Chinese Democracy, an immensely flawed album, but at least it was new stuff and looking in a forward direction. This is merely cash obsessed whoring. It is thoroughly depressing. I mean there are people on this very forum looking forward to ''Axl, Slash and Duff making lots of money'' - and writing posts like this! Where is the art?

Fuck man, they haven't even played a show yet.

Axl, Slash and Duff onstage together as Guns N Roses is the best thing to happen Guns N Roses wise since...well, yeah.

I'll be as bummed as the next if it's baldy and honker instead of Adler/Sorum and Izzy but come on now, Slash and Duff.

You're an "old timer" like me, being pissed at how Axl runs things is something you should have gotten out of your system a decade ago.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Axl to tweet that he is so excited about the new GN'R lineup and having Slash and Duff back in the band? Some appearances together, the three of them, where they demonstrate to the world that the feud is over and that we can truly look forward to the upcoming shows? An interview where they together talk about what's to come and how great it is going to be? Something, anything, that signifies that this is a new era of GN'R and not just the closure to an old era? Anything that would imply that the band is excited and so should we?

I am not saying we haven't had anything at all. There's been some video promos. But is this different than what we have had these last few years? Is there anything form Axl or Slash or Duff that suggests GN'R touring in 2016 is any different than GN'R touring in 2014, besides a lineup change? Even with Dj joining the band back in 2009 (or was it 2008?) Axl made a customary public statement about how great that was. Does he now not even bother to try to fool us into believing this is not a big personal failure for him or to believe this isn't just about the money for all involved?

I get where you are coming from but Axl, Slash and Duff probably don't even know what its going to be like! They are not 20 something anymore! They could return and get slaughtered by the press and  the fans for putting on a bad performance. To me Axl is one of the best frontmen I have ever seen and i understand why folk hate him but what I'v heard he is late cause he is very anxious about  his performance so the pressure is already on him for probably the biggest gigs of his career.

I think Axl was probably asked to make a customary public statement because of the amount of hate DJ would probably get for just being the new guitarist. I liked  Sixx A.M 1st album but to me the rest of them are nothing special and actually preferred the finck but both are gone and to be honest I only cared about them due to the association with the band. 

Its a reunion tour, they are all partly money grabs at the end of the day but I'd rather them just  be who they are than some band telling everyone that will listen " Oh this isn't about money" as at the end of the day they are in the Music Business, The Entertainment Business. 

1 hour ago, DR DOOM said:

Axl, Slash and Duff onstage together as Guns N Roses is the best thing to happen Guns N Roses wise since...well, yeah.

I'll be as bummed as the next if it's baldy and honker instead of Adler/Sorum and Izzy but come on now, Slash and Duff.

You're an "old timer" like me, being pissed at how Axl runs things is something you should have gotten out of your system a decade ago.

I think it's more a disappointment knowing that Slash and Duff have simply fallen in line with the shit show that is Axl and TB. Like DieselDaisy said they don't even have the fucking decency to tell fans who is in the band. It's so disrespectful to fans who have waited for so long and it's very clear they are doing this because they are trying to create the illusion and dupe fans into thinking it's a full on reunion. If they had any class whatsoever they'd just be upfront with what the lineup will be but they have no class and it's sad to see Slash and Duff just go along with it. I expected more from them. From Axl and TB it's par for the course. They are a classless bunch with nothing but contempt for the fanbase. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SoulMonster said:
1 hour ago, DR DOOM said:

I can only evaluate it from the (paltry) information we have but thus far we have,

- Slash and Duffy copying Axl/TB's Area 51 politics. Normally Slash can be interviewed for less then a packet of cigarettes! Slash is ubiquitous!

- Reportedly new band material

- Some weird hybrid Frank and Richard line-up so it is not even a proper reunion

- bits n' bobs dates: no world tour announcement but scraps of dates leaking out slowly so nobody can conceivably organise an itineraries and you have people selling tickets after new dates are leaked.

- Alright, accepting the pricing for Vegas as a symptom of it being the first shows for which I say 'fair enough', the VIP packages are truly appalling and the worst sort of example of Kiss style 'corporate rock'.

And you know in your heart it is going to be full on 'greatest hits' mode. These setlist threads we have here - 'Locomotive', 'Perfect Crime'? - are pointless really. With the exception of about four songs (Duff's, the two CD songs) we all know exactly what the setlist will be, and probably have a good idea of the running order: Jungle, Easy, Brownstone etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

I think it's as simple as they don't wan't to jinx it.

In GN'R land, promotion is the kiss of death, because once it's promoted, it stands way less of a chance of happening.

Nobody wants to look stupid and nobody wants to jinx something this big.

the only person who will look stupid is Axl. Slash and Duff do things on their own properly. Axl is a schmuck. Do any of us think the Kimmel appearnace would have been cancelled had it been Slash who was to appear? Not a chance. It's only Axl who fucks those things up. 

20 minutes ago, supercool said:

so much negativity, i don't get it. they already announced the line-up: it's axl, slash and duff.

21 minutes ago, supercool said:

and it looks like izzy and steven might be involved too.

A contradiction in terms!

Unless of course they do a rockabilly three-piece, Axl, Slash and Duff sitting on stools with acoustic guitars!

37 minutes ago, supercool said:

so much negativity, i don't get it. they already announced the line-up: it's axl, slash and duff.

and it looks like izzy and steven might be involved too.

haha wow that looks like a massive confirmation of who's in the band alright.  "It looks like" , "might be". Fuck, if they'd already confirmed it this conversation would not be happening. 

What if this silence isn't a decision or a marketing strategy, but means this is not as solid as we think?

That's what I fear the most.

It's not about promotion for me, but just talking to the fans about what we've been waiting for for over 20 years.

Edited by emybdc

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

- bits n' bobs dates: no world tour announcement but scraps of dates leaking out slowly so nobody can conceivably organise an itineraries and you have people selling tickets after new dates are leaked.

This is what irritates me most of all. I mean, I have a life and I work, and I guess we all do. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do some planning?

• Like 1

On one hand it gets very exciting because if they don't show up until the first gig, that's going to be huge (for the lucky ones that are attending) but I understand the frustation. Axl didn't even tweet thank you all for the birthday wishes or happy valentines day like he used to do every year LOL. It might be strategy. Anyway let see what happens in the next weeks.

• Like 1