Vinyl (New HBO series by Martin Scorses, Mick Jagger and Terrence Winter)

Georgy Zhukov

Lol said I'd do a little review like a fucking month ago and then just forgot! Just saw episode 9 and thought "did I ever do that thing?" Anyway I'll do it now.

The show is... interesting. IMO the long and short of it is its not a good show, especially not with the calibre involved. Its FINE, but even that might be pushing it. In the grand scheme of shows, it basically failed. Thats not terrible, but just more disappointing. With Jagger, Scorsese and Winter on board there was WAY too much pressure. Add in that its one of my favorite time periods, something I feel could be said of many of us here, and it seemed like a can't miss. Unfortunately in my eyes, it did. Obviously I've stuck with it and I've grown to telling people if you look past all the insanity, its fine for what it is. In no way would I tell someone outright that its a good show, but if you commit to it and are already watching I usually say to just enjoy it for what it is.

So many issues its hard to know where to start. The pilot kind of started in the worst foot. I love Scorsese but that was some of the most self indulgent, boring 2 hours of a premiere they could have done. It would have been better if it at least set up stuff for the rest of the series, which it does but could have been done in an hour. The building collapse was ridiculous. I know its real, but its portrayal is just completely unbelievable, since its real but didn't happen that way. Top that off with the main character fucking killing someone in the first episode and the believability line is too far gone. The rest of the show was better than the pilot, but again only after I was like "OK, its not gonna be good, but I'll stick it out cause of who's involved and the time period." At least half of the characters suck and are completely underdeveloped. Once again worst in the pilot was the Zeppelin meet up. The portrayals were laughably bad, and then they top it off with a Zeppelin performance even though they can't get licensing for a Zeppelin song! The whole thing was hysterically bad. It got better through the series, but was a bad first impressions.

There are positives in my mind. I think some of the characters are great. Jagger (the kid, not the legend) I think is excellent. Lester the blues guy is great. The woman they bring in to "save the company" is very good. I like Romano, Julie, Jamie isn't bad. There's enough characters to keep me interesting, but again for every good story there's another one that I think sucks. Going back to the unbelievability, what ends up happening with the secretary is ridiculous but I won't spoil. I've liked the later stories more. I thought the Vegas/Elvis thing was very well done. The use of music is sometimes cringeworthy but mostly on point and cool. I go back and forth on Richie. I really do love Bobby, even if I don't like his character. He definitely anchors the show and is just such a good actor. I just hate his character most of the time. The thing he did to Romano was probably the last straw for me. He has potential, but the way Richie just goes on and off drug binges, is completely unreliable, makes him just get boring. Its the same every episode with no growth. Maybe thats "authentic" but it got boring midway through this season. Same for his wife. Its sad they completely relegated Olivia Wilde into doing absolutely nothing. She too had potential and chose to do nothing with it. Every now and then they revisit her or the divorce but barely.

Thats everything I can think of at the moment. I just think most of the execution in this series was handled poorly. Either it was underwritten or it was way too over the top. Not that it has to be a happy medium, but it just goes too far into soap opera territory far too much. For the talent involved, its disappointing, and if the show didn't have this star power it would have been canceled quick cause its ratings and buzz suck. Can't tell whether Winter being canned is good or bad. Maybe it changes the direction and actually grounds the show a little more? I like him but he also seems pretty full of himself and kind of writing from the view that he gets it when he really doesn't. Either way, a surprising move given his relationship with HBO. I'll be interested in the season finale (probably won't get around to till next weekend) and I'll probably stick with the show through next season, as I assume its the last. I'd love it to get better, but I don't have much hope.

I think it's one of the best TV series right now

Honestly i want the second season more than, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul and Vikings combined :lol:

Not to mention the unoriginal series that people tend to suck up and stuck with it....

Edited by Strange Broue

I've lost interest after Episode 2. I tried to get into it but all I kept thinking was "Winter gave up Boarwalk Empire for this?" Winter is known for his slow burning but he seems to forget to keep people interested the episode has to end on a cliff hanger or a point where you would want to tune in next week to find out what happens next. The characters also have to be likable. I think Ritchie is a douchebag. 

I love this era and all, the music, the film, the social aspects, the politics, but I don't really care to see scene after seen of sex, drugs and the occasional violence. It needs some substance too.

On 2016. 04. 16. at 4:29 PM, Georgy Zhukov said:

I've lost interest after Episode 2. I tried to get into it but all I kept thinking was "Winter gave up Boarwalk Empire for this?" Winter is known for his slow burning but he seems to forget to keep people interested the episode has to end on a cliff hanger or a point where you would want to tune in next week to find out what happens next. The characters also have to be likable. I think Ritchie is a douchebag. 

I love this era and all, the music, the film, the social aspects, the politics, but I don't really care to see scene after seen of sex, drugs and the occasional violence. It needs some substance too.

Then you either don't get this era or you're overly critical. Yeah, i get that some minor characters are shitty actors but the main characters are stellar

I sugget you to give it another try, the season finale was great

Can't wait for season 2

• 1 month later...

HBO is going through a change in leadership. I was surprised when they renewed it a few months ago but they finally came to their senses. HBO has been in decline over the last few years. Boardwalk Empire is over and rather abruptly, True Dectective Season 2 was a dud, Game of Thrones is being wrapped up. The Leftovers is finishing up though I never watched it. The show's creative output is drying up. What is left? Silicon Valley? 

1 hour ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

HBO is going through a change in leadership. I was surprised when they renewed it a few months ago but they finally came to their senses. HBO has been in decline over the last few years. Boardwalk Empire is over and rather abruptly, True Dectective Season 2 was a dud, Game of Thrones is being wrapped up. The Leftovers is finishing up though I never watched it. The show's creative output is drying up. What is left? Silicon Valley? 

I liked the concept of Vinyl but it had too much personal drama and not enough about the business IMHO...I was dissapointed in the execution

VEEP is funny as hell IMHO...........as is John Oliver.........but I agree not much promising epic shows on the horizon for HBO............

John Oliver is the best thing on HBO now. I think their uncensored talk shows are the direction they should be going in. Now that basic cable has overtaken the quality of subscriber networks, it is time for HBO to start competing with the major news networks. 

Deserved to be cancelled. A lot of people wanted it to be the holy grail it seemed like it was going to be with the stars attached, myself included, and it just wasn't. Gotta treat it like anything else, which would have also been cancelled and maybe never made it to air.

As for HBO, to me they have 3 good shows right now: Veep, Silicon Valley, and John Oliver which are all funny as all hell. And its the season finale of those first two this week. So really there's nothing I'll be watching on there. Guess I'll also give them Game Of Thrones even though its not my cup of tea.

But yeah, they definitely seem to be dry at the moment. They need a new Sopranos, Oz, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire. I guess the closest thing they have to that now is Thrones and thats totally different. Gonna be interesting to see where they go from here. I'm far from worried about HBO, but they've been ruling for awhile now and it seems they've lost their edge to either the other premium cables like Showtime or streaming services like Netflix.

• Like 1

AMC has dethroned HBO with quality shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad. The Walking Dead is a good rival to Game of Thrones in following. Netflix is on the way if they weren't too busy wasting money on Adam Sandler films. I haven't watched Orange is the New Black but that has gathered quite a following. I don't get the appeal of House of Cards, it is the most boring show I've seen. Narcos is a lot of fun though.

Just now, Georgy Zhukov said:

AMC has dethroned HBO with quality shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad. The Walking Dead is a good rival to Game of Thrones in following. Netflix is on the way if they weren't too busy wasting money on Adam Sandler films. I haven't watched Orange is the New Black but that has gathered quite a following. I don't get the appeal of House of Cards, it is the most boring show I've seen. Narcos is a lot of fun though.

Netflix also has the good Marvel TV shows, aka Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Luke Cage is coming out soon.

Making a Murderer, although a stand-alone season afaik, was huge.

For HBO, even CW shows have higher-critical ratings than Vinyl did. It was a poor investment, funded because of the names involved and not for quality.

Mick Jagger, Martin Scorsese and Terrence Winter who some know as one of the better writers on the Sopranos and HBO's last great show, Boardwalk Empire. 

Netflix is getting there. What does Showtime have though? Homeland hasn't been that great since the first season. Dexter is over.

52 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Netflix is getting there. What does Showtime have though? Homeland hasn't been that great since the first season. Dexter is over.

Nothing that's setting TV on fire. They have Shameless... which is atrocious nowadays. Masters of Sex is the only one I sometimes hear rumblings about, apart from Homeland like you said.

Twin Peaks revival is coming next year for them.