Vinyl (New HBO series by Martin Scorses, Mick Jagger and Terrence Winter)

Georgy Zhukov

Tonight was the series premiere, I don't want to give too away but I feel this series shouldn't be judged on the first episode, most of it was backstory, introducing the main characters and the plot, the rest of the reason should be the real story. If you are familiar with Winter's work on Boardwalk Empire (he was also the best writer for The Sopranos) then you should know this show is partially historical, mostly fictional. We meet some familiar faces from the 70's, some very famous characters but most of the main characters as far as I know are fictional.

Any music fans of the era should not miss this one. 

The story was a bit chaotic but as GZ said you should never judge a new series by the first few episodes as they are usually setting up background.

I am older then many on this forum so I lived 1973.

I was born in Yonkers which is pretty much an extention of the Bronx and moved an hour north of NYC when I was 7 yrs old.

In the summer I used to take the train to NYC to buy vinyl records at a store called Discomat as it was about half the price of stores where I lived. After my record buying binge  I would walk around the city and sit in front of the NYC Public Library and people watch.

Last night show brought back  a lot of memories not only how they portrayed NYC in those days, which was grungy, but the music of the time. It was interesting to see how they portrayed the bands back then and loved the scene with Peter Grant harassing everyone at MSG for selling bootleg t-shirts as this was a real event. Also loved their portrayal of the NY Dolls as they were the hot band in NYC back in 1973.

Looking forward to see how this show develops moving forward.

Anyone notice that Mick Jaggers son James is the lead singer for the band the Nasty Bits? Looks a lot like his Dad..........

Here is an excellent overview of the real bands and music in the show

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/vinyl/252756/the-real-history-and-songs-of-hbos-vinyl-a-complete-song-list-and-reference-guide

Really enjoyed the premier episode. My only nitpick was when the venue collapsed at the end, no one noticed shit was destroying around them and then the whole building collapses on top of Richie and he gets up and walks out?! :lol:

Really enjoyed it though. Was cool to see Dice too, despite his characters outcome.

Looking forward to continuing to watch.

I thought the singer looked familiar! He could play his dad in a biopic. 

All the guys who have made the series have lived in the time. Scorsese, Winter and of course Jagger. The sets, wardrobe, the cars, the telephones installed in cars that a lot of people didn't know they even had. They went all out. 

The guy who played Peter Grant was great. He wasn't as big and imposing but he didn't have to be. Did not like the guy who played Robert Plant. 

On 16/2/2016 at 0:32 AM, Black Sabbath said:

Really enjoyed the premier episode. My only nitpick was when the venue collapsed at the end, no one noticed shit was destroying around them and then the whole building collapses on top of Richie and he gets up and walks out?! :lol:

Really enjoyed it though. Was cool to see Dice too, despite his characters outcome.

Looking forward to continuing to watch.

This, i hope it was not real and it was an acid trip or some shit like that. That scene was totally random and unnecessary.

It's been renewed for a second season already, despite dismal ratings and a distinct lack of critical buzz. I'm completely not curious at this point, the anti-hero lead has been done to death. I will give it a shot when the season is finished. 

12 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Anyone still watching? I'm liking the show a lot more now.

I am, I love it. The last episode was definitely the best one so far. Though, I do think they could of done better with 'The Nasty Bitz' they are very much your cliché television rock band.

Just finished episode 4. IMO the best of the bunch so far. I'll post more when I get the chance. The long and short of it is I don't love the show and think with the talent attached its rather disappointing. But by episode 4, if you get on board with everything they've set up, and I've let my expectations go away and just kind of enjoy it for what it is, the show has gotten more enjoyable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/04/2016 at 5:25 PM, PsychoKiss344 said:

I haven't started this show yet...to the people that are watching it, is it worth my time?

Yeah I'd give it ago, my interest is starting to wade though and I haven't yet watched the previous two episodes. The cast is brilliant, it's really well acted apart from Jagger's son who plays the lead singer in The Nasty Bitz.