04/16/2016 Coachella **ANGUS YOUNG JOINS GNR ON STAGE**

Gibbo

4 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

I wish he'd show up 2 hours late next week, piss on a cup and throw it in the crowd, go on a rant about cocksucking hipsters, play one in a million and storm off. That'd be "vintage" and "dangerous"

That's my dream GNR setlist. I'd pay front rows prices for that.

22 hours ago, ludurigan said:

don henley played Patience ONCE with these guys in 1989 and didnt miss a beat

what this frank drummer guy does here on the outro part is something completely unbelievable

really i cant believe this

i agree,.. franks a great drummer.. but he's not the right fit for this band.. perhaps for new material, but his versions of the older stuff doesn't always work... especially for patience.. wtf is he doing?

15 minutes ago, slaxl stradler said:

i agree,.. franks a great drummer.. but he's not the right fit for this band.. perhaps for new material, but his versions of the older stuff doesn't always work... especially for patience.. wtf is he doing?

I really hope so Steven will be drummer on new album and when tour starts in summer.

15 hours ago, qwerty123 said:

I noticed the glare of a broken string hanging towards the end of the song too!
I'm no guitarist so this might be a stupid question, but is it something about Coma specifically that causes extra wear on the strings?

In a way. Like Slash said he admires some other guitars players (Rory Gallagher for example) that have a gentle touch, but Slash's attack on the strings is harsh. He said he pushes down on 'em as hard as he can.

Coma is a song that can just make him want to push it too hard and sometimes strings just break especially with such a wild guitar player it will happen more often I suspect and especially his bends are a main reason imo. It's not directly cause of the type of the song Coma is, but the way Slash plays it live puts a lot of pressure on the strings and if he gets excited like in the outro shit's gonna happen. It's always nice when it happens cause you're really into it.

Edited by Rovim

25 minutes ago, Schwarzgold said:

I'll take up the " I'm no guitarist so this might be a stupid question " :D

So, if a string breaks, can guitarists compensate it for the rest of the song? In other woords, do they have variants for each note to play (at least more or less) with five stings?

In theory yes, because most of the notes exist several times on the fretboard. The problem is that the strings geht constantly higher from the deepest “low“ E to the “high“ E, which are the first and last strings on a guitar and an octave apart - the other strings are “in between“. Meaning that if you break the highest string on a high note at the end of the fretboard, you can easily run out of a direct equivalent on another string. You would have to find another accesible note that fits melodically.

Also, the way the notes are spread out over the fretboard usually supplements a vertical movement of the fingers instead of a horizontal one for most of the simple melodies. If you look ar your hand, it is way easier to bend your fingers from a fist to pointing (comparable to moving vertically over various strings) thand spreading them apart over an increasing distance (playing the some notes on only one string, because the one above/below breaks).

All in all, if you are a professional guitarist, you can definatly work around a broken string without the people really noticing, it just takes some mental and physical hoops to jump through.

Edited by Teufelsgeiger
correction
  • Like 1

I'm listening to some of these clips now and Slash's tone is really thin, as if it has been directly plugged into a soundboard with no amplification, or that he is playing through one of those little tiny practice amps that you strap to your belt; I have never heard Slash sound like this before. I would have normally blamed the positioning of the phone, being as it were close to Slash's PA, however multiple phones seen to be delivering up similar result.

Generally the performances are alright. It does seem that it was the weaker of the shows thus far, which to be honest is entirely predictable, festival setting, open air, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Schwarzgold said:

I'll take up the " I'm no guitarist so this might be a stupid question " :D

So, if a string breaks, can guitarists compensate it for the rest of the song? In other words, do they have variants for each note to play (at least more or less) with five stings?

I am...

And i can tell you that if you're playing chords, maybe no one would even notice... but if you're playing solos... well... things got really worse. He was great, without any doubt.
I didn't see the entire video, but it seems to me that he broke the string at 8:40 during a bending, in the act of pushing high a note on the same fret...
If you see the video and look at the hat, you can see the flickering of the string.
Wasn't in a solo, he probably would have change guitar...

Welcome to the Jungle was the first real hit and was accompanied by scantily clad dancing girls in black leather outfits, CGI images of skeletons having sex and rather unimpressive fireworks. Slash remained fairly stationary. 

First world problems. 

55 minutes ago, GNR3312 said:

I wish they would play Mama Kin on this tour, maybe with Steven Tyler as guest singer. 

That was due to happen a few years ago with NU GNR when Axl did Mama Kin but no Steven...He was due to do it! Wonder if that was around the time of one of those "meetings" Axl and Steven had 

about the reunion?