Neil Young

DieselDaisy

I'm rather addicted to Neil Young bootlegs currently (hence my absence from the album thread), Danny by the River (Ohio, '70); all of these Zuma era boots (Chicago, loads from Japan)? Neil often plays new songs, some songs which have never been released to this day, which makes his bootlegs highly valued. Some of his very greatest songs are only obtainable through this route, case in point, Give Me Strength (absolute masterpiece), Stringman (granted it turned up on Unplugged in the '90s but in inferior form to the version he played in the '70s), the original version of Country Home, Piece of Mind (a grungy version with the horse), Too Far Gone and White Line.

There is some terrific stuff. Spellbinding music.

The Ohio boot has a 20 minute version of Down by the River with Danny Whitten in superb soundboard quality!!

Many of them are on youtube.

PS

On the acoustic set Neil is shy, humourous and self-deprecating. Superb acoustic version of Broken Arrow. The electric set is plagued by sound problems but has a twenty minute version of Down By The River. The sound quality is excellent soundboard, This was the original incarnation with the Horse on their first tour, so you hear what a talent Whitten was - is (he will live forever so long as his music does). The officially released Fillmore from this tour had The Loner and the entire acoustic set chopped, so this is far more representative of what these shows were like,

This is a compilation (Osaka/Chicago) from the Zuma tour. The Chicago is a very famous soundboard,

Edited by DieselDaisy
Added some youtube clips
  • Like 3

There's shows from '74 where he played "Tonight's The Night", and later on in the set, would go "here's one you've heard before" and do "Tonight's The Night" again. Someone told me he played the album twice and the audience got up to leave, but I don't think that's true. 

Monday night: 

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/an-evening-with-neil-young-live

• Like 1

The Santa Monica Flyers Tour of 1973? Yes, this was a tour of North America and England. Tonight's the Night had not been released yet, and they came out upon this weird stage set consisting of a palm tree, playing this really dark album. It was a sort of joke as the crowd were shouting 'Heart of Gold' or 'Cinnamon Girl' and out came another rendition of Tonight's the Night! There are a few boots of that. I think the Cleveland one is fairly infamous - maybe that is what you are referring to. A lot of tequila and heckling.

This was his 'Ditch' period, after the death of Bruce Berry and Danny Whitten. He had already played the Time Fades Away Tour earlier that year which was another tour consisting of drunken renditions of unheard material.

PS

Good website (I've linked it to that year),

http://www.sugarmtn.org/year.php?year=1973

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

If you love On the Beach, this is the bootleg for you,

Neil, who hadn't played in six months, arrived with a bunch of new songs, only one of which had been released at that time ('Helpless'), and proceeded to play this brilliant acoustic set at New York's famous Bottom Line club; most of the material would eventually be released on Neil's next few albums, four appearing on On the Beach, however one of the songs went unreleased ('Pushed it Over the End'). This would be one of only two solo dates of 1974, the rest of the year being preoccupied cash grabbing with Crosby, Stills and Nash (a tour Shakey regretted). This bootleg consequentially is like the Holy Grail of bootlegs.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2016 at 11:08 PM, DieselDaisy said:

The Santa Monica Flyers Tour of 1973? Yes, this was a tour of North America and England. Tonight's the Night had not been released yet, and they came out upon this weird stage set consisting of a palm tree, playing this really dark album. It was a sort of joke as the crowd were shouting 'Heart of Gold' or 'Cinnamon Girl' and out came another rendition of Tonight's the Night! There are a few boots of that. I think the Cleveland one is fairly infamous - maybe that is what you are referring to. A lot of tequila and heckling.

This was his 'Ditch' period, after the death of Bruce Berry and Danny Whitten. He had already played the Time Fades Away Tour earlier that year which was another tour consisting of drunken renditions of unheard material.

PS

Queens College sounds like the show, I guess whoever went had tickets for both sets *L* 

The last time I saw Neil was http://www.sugarmtn.org/show.php?show=200711020

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

Queens College sounds like the show, I guess whoever went had tickets for both sets *L* 

The last time I saw Neil was http://www.sugarmtn.org/show.php?show=200711020

What a great setlist: there are four unreleased songs, two of which remain completely unreleased ('Sad Movies', 'No One Seems To Know') and two which have only surfaced on live/archival releases ('Bad Fog of Loneliness', 'Love Art Blues' - only recently on a CSNY archival live album)!! Chuck in a Time Fades Away ('Love in Mind') deep cut, two Decade songs ('Winterlong' and 'Love is a Rose') not to mention 'Ambulance Blues'. Four new songs (Chrome Dreams II) also.

I saw this last,

http://www.sugarmtn.org/show.php?show=201306100

Two new/unreleased (thus far) songs played. He began playing Surfer Joe from RE*AC*TOR for the first time in years It isn't that often he plays Mr Soul with the Horse either. I have tickets for his upcoming European tour with Promise of the Real.

Neil's ""Special Deluxe" audiobook was narrated by Neil, "Waging Heavy Peace" was narrated by David Carradine.

Human Highway in the theaters is a good sign Archives II is coming soon. He talked about Archives 1 for over a decade so I'm not holding my breath. It was a pretty "slow" Neil Young year...one album, one archive. 

This was Haskell Wexler's last "performance", shooting the rehearsals. Haskell was a great cinematographer (Cuckoos Nest, Thomas Crown Affair, Virginia Woolf)  and knew David Crosby since Croz was a  kid. I'm sure he advised Neil on his documentaries and likely how Neil wound up with Daryl Hannah - he was her uncle. 

It was certainly an eccentric read, Waging Heavy Peace. Some people didn't like it convoluted nature and idiosyncrasies but it grew on me in the end. He sort of comes across as an (extremely rich) retired person who proceeds to take up multiple hobbies - but Neil, having the money tends to invest in his hobbies heavily. He is also slightly cranky and suffering from grumpy old man syndrome - especially if you get him on about digital music. I bet he has cleared one or two many rooms when he begins discussing MP3s and suchlike. 

So you - let me get this correct - have the pono thing; the cars thing; the technology facilitating Ben; the model trains; his activism against GM crops and other stuff? This is before you even get to his music!! In the past he had the film thing also.

PS

I wonder if we get the lost album Human Highway in the archives? Probably the holy grail.

Edited by DieselDaisy

If you want the acoustic side, check out a bootleg called the Joel Bernstein Tapes. It is a bunch of soundboard recordings of the acoustic portion of the Zuma tour made by Neil's archivist. It is brilliant. It will also give you rarities like No One Seems to Know, Give Me Strengh, et al.

• Like 1

This website is full of bootlegs, FLAC files, excellent quality: tons of Dylan, Van the Man and The Dead; a fair amount of Neil Young; some Floyd (and solo projects), Springsteen; Lou Reed - even Adele. There is one Who gig from the early '70s, soundboard. They also have The Doors at the Isle of Wight.

http://themidnightcafe.org/

Also good for boots, of everybody you care to mention (including GN'R), but make sure you grab them early as they seem to turn into dead links after awhile,

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f91/

Bunch of boots here. You can get the Joel Bernstein Tapes and Danny By the River (Cincinnati 1970) here, two essentials of Neil,

http://www.ousterhout.net/music-menu.html#downloads

Boots here - lot of Zuma shows. Few missing files though,

http://vivalesbootlegs.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/NEIL%20YOUNG

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Apr 22

http://neilyoung.warnerbrosrecords.com/exclusive-dvd-bundle-movie-poster.html?intcmp=160226%2Fnyoung%2Fwbr%2Fspl%2Fs_pr%2Fbut%2Fbdy%2Fww%2Fhumanhighwayrustneversleepspreordersplash_poster-bundle

Ousterhout.net was actually the first site that I went to for bootlegs because I wanted to see who had Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour. Bigozine has been my "go to" for boots for a while. 

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=2046

I watched Human Highway about two weeks ago for the first time in a long time - not the remastered version, just a torrent of a VHS. It has a lot that is charming about it, the look of the film, i.e. the faux film set, and Neil's acting as Lionel Switch. It definitely has its flaws also. It is very self-indulgent. It took years to make. The musical sequence with Devo was filmed before Rust Never Sleeps, back in the '70s and he did not complete the thing until '82.

And Hopper, the mad bastard, who was coked up, sliced one of the actresses with his knives. She ended up suing Hopper and Neil - this lawsuit would drag on well into the '80s.

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 2 months later...

I'm listening to some bootlegs of Neil with Promise of the Real. Jesus! Brilliant! I think Neil has finally managed to find a musicality and apply it to the Horse's synergy and free wandering spirit. You might say they are The Horse with technique (or conversely, the Stray Gators with spirit). There is a version of 'Words' which instantly became my favourite rendition of that particular song ever.

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:27 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I'm rather addicted to them currently (hence my absence from the album thread), Danny by the River (Ohio, '70); all of these Zuma era boots (Chicago, loads from Japan)? Neil often plays new songs, some songs which have never been released to this day, which makes his bootlegs highly valued. Some of his very greatest songs are only obtainable through this route, case in point, Give Me Strength (absolute masterpiece), Stringman (granted it turned up on Unplugged in the '90s but in inferior form to the version he played in the '70s), the original version of Country Home, Piece of Mind (a grungy version with the horse), Too Far Gone and White Line.

There is some terrific stuff. Spellbinding music.

The Ohio boot has a 20 minute version of Down by the River with Danny Whitten in superb soundboard quality!!

Many of them are on youtube.

PS

On the acoustic set Neil is shy, humourous and self-deprecating. Superb acoustic version of Broken Arrow. The electric set is plagued by sound problems but has a twenty minute version of Down By The River. The sound quality is excellent soundboard, This was the original incarnation with the Horse on their first tour, so you hear what a talent Whitten was - is (he will live forever so long as his music does). The officially released Fillmore from this tour had The Loner and the entire acoustic set chopped, so this is far more representative of what these shows were like,

This is a compilation (Osaka/Chicago) from the Zuma tour. The Chicago is a very famous soundboard,

Yeah I especially appreciate the Danny era stuff. Crazyhorse was really a different band back then. They're still there at the core, but Danny seemed a star in his own right until you got too strung out to keep it together anyway. The guitar dynamic is a bit different with Pancho. Early Crazyhorse had two distinct guitars whereas with Pancho it sounds more like one big guitar. I love both, but with Whitten they had almost a dueling guitar type thing. The first Crazyhorse (w/o Neil) record is an unknown legend.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:08 PM, DieselDaisy said:

PS

Man, I would kill to see some of that stuff on video. I read that sometimes Neil would open shows on that tour with like a 20-30 min version of Tonights the Night and then proceed to baffle, confuse, and anger the audience with shows filled primarily (if not only) of songs they've never heard. Then he'd come back on for the encore and tease the crowd that he was going to play one they'd heard before and then commence to close the show with another 20-30 min version of Tonights the Night. I think one time they basically cleared the club before the final note.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 1:26 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Hopper missed the premier because he was in an insane asylum!

The VHS has one of my favourite poster taglines: ''It's so bad, it's going to be huge''.

I love the Human Highway and I always recite that tagline when I'm trying to turn someone onto that film.

On 07/06/2016 at 5:04 PM, Mr. Dude said:

Man, I would kill to see some of that stuff on video. I read that sometimes Neil would open shows on that tour with like a 20-30 min version of Tonights the Night and then proceed to baffle, confuse, and anger the audience with shows filled primarily (if not only) of songs they've never heard. Then he'd come back on for the encore and tease the crowd that he was going to play one they'd heard before and then commence to close the show with another 20-30 min version of Tonights the Night. I think one time they basically cleared the club before the final note.

Going to see Neil tomorrow.

He played Vampire Blues again in N. Ireland.

He played 'If I Could Have Her Tonight'! Cowgirl and Down by the River in the same gig so you know you're in for a jam-fest - curiously just one number from Monsanto Years, 'Wolf Moon'. Old Black had tuning problems so he played the first half of the electric set with a Gretsch. Absolutely brilliant show, full of jamming, Promise of the Real prowling around Neil like vultures, interplay galore.

If you can see this tour go and see it. Here are the rest of the dates,