Old Timers That Saw GN'R In '91 Before The Illusions Was Out

Old timers.  Who's old????  Wow, that hurts, LOL!

The songs were trickling out on the radio.  We already knew of Knockin' on Heaven's Door (live at the Ritz), Civil War, and You Could Be Mine.  Other tracks were also being played on Los Angeles Radio stations like Pirate Radio (oh yeah).

I saw Guns N Roses at the Great Western Forum in July 1991.  They played a heavy dose of the Illusions.  I liked what I heard that night.  It was cool to see Izzy take the mic on Dust n Bones!

I was also there at midnight when they were released on 9/17/91.  Line wrapped around the building.  The CD's came individually, in those big rectangular boxes, wrapped in a GNR bandana.  Good times indeed.

Edited by BadApples87

12 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

I saw them in  88 or 89, cant remember.  It was before I heard any UYI songs.  I remember them playing" get in the ring" though.  It was a great show

Are you sure? As far as I know they never played that song live. At least that's what all the verified sources report.

1 hour ago, ericy210 said:

Is that where "get in the ring" crowd noise was recorded, or was that Saratoga?  My cousin was there.

i saw the Skin n Bones tour in 1993 and feel lucky to see them stripped back down.  I told my parents I was staying at a friends house when in reality we drove 10 hours to see them in Iowa.  We were on the floor, all folding chairs.  During Brian May everyone passed/threw them to the back of the floor into a huge pile, which Axl thought was hilarious.

Get in the Ring chant was Saratoga. I was in attendance. 

Also that night, Axl let us all know that Poison broke up that day. The crowd went nuts!

Such a different era then with no internet. You might have seen an article in Circus or Hit Parader that mentioned a song title, but not much. Then you hear November Rain live, Perfect Crime live, YCBM, etc. And you realized that although Appetite was the best album you ever heard, this band had plenty more up their sleeve!!!

I saw the Appetite lineup 8/88 in Weedsport NY w Aerosmith. Hands down the best show I've ever seen. (Been to 100+ big shows, mostly hard rock/ metal). Just a moment in my life that I am grateful to have had. I was 18, there with my girlfriend, my best friend & his girl, about to head off to college, seeing my favorite band that we'd been partying to all year...

Also saw them w Metallica &FNM in Buffalo '92...

Anyway, sorry to ramble. "Old timers" are prone to do that I guess...

• Like 2

There were boots out if you knew where to find them...and people were excited. Some of the song titles were floating around on their own for quite some time, like "Don't Cry" and "You Could Be Mine," and everyone was curious about what they sounded like. There were articles that gave those song titles in 1989, even.

I didn't get to see them until the Illusions tour was further along, but I had friends who got into the 1991 Ritz and Nassau Coliseum shows. Reports about the Ritz and the new music were really positive. For the Nassau Coliseum show, IIRC, my friends spent the most time telling me about all the antics that were happening while they were waiting (and waiting...) for the band to arrive and go on.

^^^^

didnt want to quote the whole post, but lol at the antics between bands or before shows.  The Oklahoma full show on YouTube that is out there will give you an idea of what we mean.

it was like that every show too...it took some time but once one did it, it was on!

17 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

Are you sure? As far as I know they never played that song live. At least that's what all the verified sources report.

Positive.  It was in the Richfield coliseum, Cleveland.  I remember the lights flashing say "guns m roses".  they played it

On 3/1/2016 at 2:35 PM, fabrph5 said:

I saw them in  88 or 89, cant remember.  It was before I heard any UYI songs.  I remember them playing" get in the ring" though.  It was a great show

Found a setlist... : http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/1988/richfield-coliseum-richfield-oh-2bd6c4ce.html#!

Wonder if where it says "Slash guitar solo" it was actually the one he then recorded as an intro for Get In The Ring

8 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Found a setlist... : http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/1988/richfield-coliseum-richfield-oh-2bd6c4ce.html#!

Wonder if where it says "Slash guitar solo" it was actually the one he then recorded as an intro for Get In The Ring

That is a show in Cleveland in 1988.  The liner notes of the album state the crowd noise and chant were recorded in Saratoga Springs, NY on June 10, 1991.

The song itself was recorded in the studio and has never been played live.

Edited by tsinindy

I didn't see them til 92 with Metallica but I'm loving these stories. I'd take one of your experiences over my 20 new GNR shows. That's not to say I didn't have a great time but to have seen them in their prime,pre-Internet and getting to hear songs that we now call classics (before they were even released ) must have been amazing. Score one for the OLD TIMERS!

Edited by Subtle Signs

12 hours ago, stella said:

There were boots out if you knew where to find them...and people were excited. Some of the song titles were floating around on their own for quite some time, like "Don't Cry" and "You Could Be Mine," and everyone was curious about what they sounded like. There were articles that gave those song titles in 1989, even.

I didn't get to see them until the Illusions tour was further along, but I had friends who got into the 1991 Ritz and Nassau Coliseum shows. Reports about the Ritz and the new music were really positive. For the Nassau Coliseum show, IIRC, my friends spent the most time telling me about all the antics that were happening while they were waiting (and waiting...) for the band to arrive and go on.

They did "Don't Cry" at a few shows on the Appetite tour. I saw them play it in May of '88.

Wembley 91. Had this combined ticket: concert, bus, ferry. So I went with the bus from The Netherlands to Ostend in Belgium. Ferry to Dover - there was another bus waiting which brought us to London. Then Wembley. Then hotel. Next morning back the same way. I loved the show - I was blown away!! My first GnR concert and so many new songs.

Of course Izzy was still in, but I can't remember seeing him...smilie_girl_075-3.gif I was only focused on Axl, Slash and Duff...

Then I saw them 3 times in 92 ,and 4 times in 93 using the same options: combined bus/concert ticket. God, I so loved all those shows. Wish I could do it all over again... sigh. And yes, I was always front row at the railing.

19 hours ago, ericy210 said:

Is that where "get in the ring" crowd noise was recorded, or was that Saratoga?  My cousin was there.

i saw the Skin n Bones tour in 1993 and feel lucky to see them stripped back down.  I told my parents I was staying at a friends house when in reality we drove 10 hours to see them in Iowa.  We were on the floor, all folding chairs.  During Brian May everyone passed/threw them to the back of the floor into a huge pile, which Axl thought was hilarious.

I heard Saratoga... 

The "bootleg rant" was kind of amusing because he assumed everyone knew November Rain by buying the bootlegs... but half of Long Island probably had copies of my copy. 

I seen Gnr  before UYI came out -  2 weeks after the St Louis Riot - best show I've  ever seen - Perfect Crime as the opener was a beast - never heard anything but Civil War - November Rain and Bad apples off illusions before the gig - but you could tell estranged was epic - I knew all the song titles because of a  article in rip magazine where Axl and Slash detailed every song along with Duff - I  seen the boys 3 times back in the day -all 3 were magical - cant wait to See AXL-SLASH AND DUFF Again - You newcomers are gonna get to see the REAL GUNS ROSES! 

• Like 1

I saw them open the big tour at Alpine Valley w/ Axl's foot booted up post accident at one of the smaller surprise warm up gigs.  Of the then unheard UYI tunes, Estranged made by far biggest impression due to Axl's long spoken intro to the song.  said it was "his baby" and was the UYI song he was closest to.  The show was epic and still best of the 6 GNR shows I have seen.

• Like 1

I too take exception to the term old timers. 

I saw them in 1988 in Danville, IL.  Small arena, about 5,000 people. I was barely 14 and gnr hadn't quite blown up yet.  They did play an illusions song, KOHD.  They dedicated it to Todd Crew. 

3 hours ago, aranrod said:

Wembley 91. Had this combined ticket: concert, bus, ferry. So I went with the bus from The Netherlands to Ostend in Belgium. Ferry to Dover - there was another bus waiting which brought us to London. Then Wembley. Then hotel. Next morning back the same way. I loved the show - I was blown away!! My first GnR concert and so many new songs.

Of course Izzy was still in, but I can't remember seeing him...smilie_girl_075-3.gif I was only focused on Axl, Slash and Duff...

Then I saw them 3 times in 92 ,and 4 times in 93 using the same options: combined bus/concert ticket. God, I so loved all those shows. Wish I could do it all over again... sigh. And yes, I was always front row at the railing.

What was your impression of NIN? All they had was Pretty Hate Machine out, they might as well have booked Pet Shop Boys as the opening act. 

3 hours ago, vail2004 said:

I saw them open the big tour at Alpine Valley w/ Axl's foot booted up post accident at one of the smaller surprise warm up gigs.  Of the then unheard UYI tunes, Estranged made by far biggest impression due to Axl's long spoken intro to the song.  said it was "his baby" and was the UYI song he was closest to.  The show was epic and still best of the 6 GNR shows I have seen.

When I see "Alpine Valley", Stevie Ray Vaughan comes to mind. 

5 hours ago, tsinindy said:

That is a show in Cleveland in 1988.  The liner notes of the album state the crowd noise and chant were recorded in Saratoga Springs, NY on June 10, 1991.

The song itself was recorded in the studio and has never been played live.

I know the chants were recorded in Saratoga and as far as I know the song has never been played live, but the user I was quoting said he was at that 1988 concert and claims they played the song. That sounds unlikely to me, but what if Slash was actually playing live here and there the guitar solo that he later recorded in studio (i mean the solo at the beginning Get In The Ring)? Pure speculation, but that would explain why user fabrph5 remembers the song being played at that show.

7 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

I know the chants were recorded in Saratoga and as far as I know the song has never been played live, but the user I was quoting said he was at that 1988 concert and claims they played the song. That sounds unlikely to me, but what if Slash was actually playing live here and there the guitar solo that he later recorded in studio (i mean the solo at the beginning Get In The Ring)? Pure speculation, but that would explain why user fabrph5 remembers the song being played at that show.

Ah!  Yah I see what you're saying.  That does indeed make sense.

On 01.03.2016. at 7:47 AM, paranoyd androyd said:

i was extremely lucky to see them in San Francisco at the tiny Warfield theatre in early '91 i believe - definitely before UYI was released

this was a surprise show that was announced on the local rock station the night before and i think MTV picked up the news. tickets were only sold at the box office and the line wasn't allowed to start until 6am or something

anyway, remember the show being about half AFD material and the Illusion stuff was kinda mixed with the crowd. pretty sure they played Civil War and i know they played Live and Let Die and Heavens Door, crowd went nuts for those

Dead Horse

16 hours ago, aranrod said:

Izzy was barely there - his last show.

• Like 1

All of this talk about different shows makes me remember how much I would absolutely love to see the rest of the pro-shot footage from the Illusions tour. One of these days hopefully more of that will be shared.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stella said:

All of this talk about different shows makes me remember how much I would absolutely love to see the rest of the pro-shot footage from the Illusions tour. One of these days hopefully more of that will be shared.

Yep- we all want the UYI vault opened.  Along with the documentary release.

• Like 1

On 2-3-2016 at 0:38 AM, dalsh327 said:

What was your impression of NIN? All they had was Pretty Hate Machine out, they might as well have booked Pet Shop Boys as the opening act. 

Quite honestly my memory of NIN is rather blurred - I can't remember all that much about it... I do remember Skid Row though... Funny, because I really became a NIN-fan later in time. I should've paid more attention, I guess...