Billsfan

Izzy stradlin

72 posts in this topic

Cutting to chase Marc.. Izzy has an official Twitter now. And it's confirmed, it's him. He says he's not involved with the GNR reunion.

So, what do you think? Do you think he will still be involved? Can they still negotiate something? Is he involved and just doesn't want to say? 

Thank you again sir.. Your answers are always appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to like Izzy but he irritates me now and has been for a while

on one hand he is too cool to grant an interview for 10 years

on the other he shoves amateur twitter videos of some cover songs so we can praise how cool he is

if he doesn't want to be seen or heard - why twitter?

if he does - start talkin'!

 

and whatever ever happens, Izzy makes sure to be one step away in the shadow,

making us remember him so he can keep collecting the royalty paychecks,

yet he is always way too cool to make that one more step and make himself useful

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't think Izzy wants to be invisible.  I think that he got tired of the business side of music, but he still likes to connect with fans.  Hell, how many albums has he released on iTunes?  This is the best way he can interact with fans without having to deal with the press or record labels. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That shocks me Marc. Mainly cause I just don't get why they wouldn't WANT Izzy. I understand that I guess its more money for them, but they all seem like guys with a good deal of integrity. At the VERY least, Duff seems like a very fair guy. I just can't even fathom how they'd get together and the topic of Izzy never comes up or they just say "we can do it without him." Even sadder cause 9 years ago would have bee the BEST time to have an Appetite reunion. That would really sadden me if they put this all together and Izzy reads about it through the internet or hears it through word of mouth. The man is a key component of the band, just as much as Axl, Slash and Duff. He deserves to at least be told first, if not automatically offered the chance to join.

I understand it from Guns point of view if they offer and Izzy says "maybe, I'll let you know. Maybe I'll be in and out." I can understand that being a bit too much for them. But to bypass him completely? All of a sudden Axl and Slash can share a stage but everyone leaves Izzy in the dust?! That seems incredulous. Also, if it had anything to do with Izzy's lack of wanting press, that shouldn't be a problem. Literally NONE of them are doing press right now or promoting it in any way. It seems like they are all doing this the Izzy Stradlin way! And if I were Izzy now, I'd be a little peeved if it took him coming out for them to involve him. There would no reason he hasn't talked to them yet if he hasn't.

Thanks for the answer though and thoughts. I know none of them are what you've heard from anyone, but it still makes me sad just to even think you might think this is the case. Thats not how it should be. Have you ever tried getting in contact with Izzy? Not to get information for us or anyone else, but just to reach out? Just to have a form of communication with the guy? Is there a reason you haven't talked to him in 9 years?  

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

integrity and GNR? in the wake of the least likely reunion in the show business, you say integrity and GNR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 12, 2016 at 10:08 PM, recklessroad said:

All I know is that 9 years ago (which is the last time I talked to him) Izzy was very much into getting the AFD lineup back together. It sounds to me that the partnership that owns the old GNR which is Axl, Slash, and Duff and now that they are booking gigs again, It may be that they did this without talking to Izzy because Izzy is not part of that partnership since he left thet back in 1991. I would think that the guys would love to have Izzy involved in whats going on right now but maybe they have not talked about it yet and it sounds to me like Izzy is a bit upset that they have put this together without him. Maybe the guys think that Izzy will come up and do some songs with the band but it seams to me that Izzy wants back in the partnership now that the other 3 are working together again. Sure the shows are going to sellout with or without Izzy just like they did in 1992 but I think the difference is now that Izzy wants to be very much involved now. I think they will workout something with Izzy and probably Steven too in addition to what ever other musicians are also in the band. These are just my thoughts no one has told me anything. 

I have the same feeling they haven't talked to Izzy about it. After listening the message he left to the RS magazine reporter, the way he sounded and the things he didn't say makes me think it's possible that Izzy didn't get a call.

If that is the case I believe it is wrong from band not to ask him if he wants to be part of reunion. We all know he left the band in the middle of a huge tour. But we also know why he did it. I think he had good reasons to quit at the time.

Edited by recklessroad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, recklessroad said:

Hey the fact that the partnership is working together again is huge, give it some time and more good things will come

Have you talked to any of the three since any of this started happening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I simply don't believe that duff or slash didn't talk to Izzy first

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

That shocks me Marc. Mainly cause I just don't get why they wouldn't WANT Izzy. I understand that I guess its more money for them, but they all seem like guys with a good deal of integrity. At the VERY least, Duff seems like a very fair guy. I just can't even fathom how they'd get together and the topic of Izzy never comes up or they just say "we can do it without him." Even sadder cause 9 years ago would have bee the BEST time to have an Appetite reunion. That would really sadden me if they put this all together and Izzy reads about it through the internet or hears it through word of mouth. The man is a key component of the band, just as much as Axl, Slash and Duff. He deserves to at least be told first, if not automatically offered the chance to join.

I understand it from Guns point of view if they offer and Izzy says "maybe, I'll let you know. Maybe I'll be in and out." I can understand that being a bit too much for them. But to bypass him completely? All of a sudden Axl and Slash can share a stage but everyone leaves Izzy in the dust?! That seems incredulous. Also, if it had anything to do with Izzy's lack of wanting press, that shouldn't be a problem. Literally NONE of them are doing press right now or promoting it in any way. It seems like they are all doing this the Izzy Stradlin way! And if I were Izzy now, I'd be a little peeved if it took him coming out for them to involve him. There would no reason he hasn't talked to them yet if he hasn't.

 

I like this view on things. Makes you wonder since once again, no one behind the scenes is really willing to say anything. Right now we're kind of stuck having to try to read between some vague lines, and by looking at Izzy posting songs on his Twitter such as "stuck in the middle with you" and "sunshine", I think Marc is probably right since that seems to say "Hey I want to be involved in the decision making not just being told where to show up and perform". 

Idk, maybe I'm biast, maybe I'm wrong. I've really got to believe that the band had intended to involve Izzy in the partnership and they must have had serious reason to not include him that goes deeper than "well, it'd be less of a cut for the 3 of us", at least not now. I mean he's been on the road with axl and slash, hell he recently worked with duff. I have to believe that they've talked to him enough to at least assume he wouldn't want to be a part of this full time, and was just wrong to assume that. I'm with you on that point that duff is an honest, balanced guy that doesn't screw people over for kicks. So there's got to be a reason they didn't include him full time. I think Izzy will be there either way.

Edited by Billsfan

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Italian girl said:

I simply don't believe that duff or slash didn't talk to Izzy first

The idea of them not even reaching out to Izzy shocks me too. There must be some kind of disagreement between them or something.

6 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Have you talked to any of the three since any of this started happening?

I was wondering about that too.

Also, I'm sure a lot of people have said this before, but it's great having you here, @recklessroad.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a theory that the three, the partnership, tried to hire Izzy on a salary and Izzy said, ''fuck that''.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have a theory that the three, the partnership, tried to hire Izzy on a salary and Izzy said, ''fuck that''.

Sure, I guess thats a possibility. But just everything thats happened with them over the years makes me so confused by that. Izzy was always willing to show up with Axl's Nu band and NOW they offer him a salary? Again, if they offered him full time and he couldn't commit I understand them backing off a bit. But if this is the real thing, why not reach out to him? Cause then that seems like a major turn on Axl's part. Axl wants Slash back in the band, but not a full reunion cause that "ruins" what he's been doing the last few years. The only guy that played with Izzy on a regular basis is now saying Izzy would be too much? That seems odd. And as @Italian girl has said, its almost unbelievable to me Slash and Duff haven't reached out to him. At the very least Duff. They don't seem like guys that would agree to Izzy on a salary. They seem like guys that would say "let's do this right", and Izzy was typical (how we all imagine) Izzy acting and they distancing theirselves from that. But I guess I'm just going around in circles with this. We don't know.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Sure, I guess thats a possibility. But just everything thats happened with them over the years makes me so confused by that. Izzy was always willing to show up with Axl's Nu band and NOW they offer him a salary? Again, if they offered him full time and he couldn't commit I understand them backing off a bit. But if this is the real thing, why not reach out to him? Cause then that seems like a major turn on Axl's part. Axl wants Slash back in the band, but not a full reunion cause that "ruins" what he's been doing the last few years. The only guy that played with Izzy on a regular basis is now saying Izzy would be too much? That seems odd. And as @Italian girl has said, its almost unbelievable to me Slash and Duff haven't reached out to him. At the very least Duff. They don't seem like guys that would agree to Izzy on a salary. They seem like guys that would say "let's do this right", and Izzy was typical (how we all imagine) Izzy acting and they distancing theirselves from that. But I guess I'm just going around in circles with this. We don't know.

When Stradlin was a guest of nugnr it was just as that, a guest of nugnr (even though we all knew that he had more right to GN'R than almost anyone on that stage). This is (probably) a resumption of the working relationship of the 1992 (or 1993) partnership. There is a discrepancy here between Izzy's importance to Guns (arguably more than Duff's and certainly equal to Axl's and Slash's) and the business relationship of the partnership in which Stradlin has no power whatsoever and the other three have absolute power. If they are using the partnership, there is no way this could conceivably include Stradlin as anything like an equal. He would be a salary-man. It is that simple. 

It is as much about power politics as money. Stradlin founded this band. Slash and Duff are not originals. Stradlin wrote a tremendous amount - much more than McKagan. And everybody has an ego, Izzy included. It is quite a climb down to be reduced to a salary in the band you founded!! And it would be a 'reunion' at this stage if Stradlin was included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

When Stradlin was a guest of nugnr it was just as that, a guest of nugnr (even though we all knew that he had more right to GN'R than almost anyone on that stage). This is (probably) a resumption of the working relationship of the 1992 (or 1993) partnership. There is a discrepancy here between Izzy's importance to Guns (arguably more than Duff's and certainly equal to Axl's and Slash's) and the business relationship of the partnership in which Stradlin has no power whatsoever and the other three have absolute power. If they are using the partnership, there is no way this could conceivably include Stradlin as anything like an equal. He would be a salary-man. It is that simple. 

It is as much about power politics as money. Stradlin founded this band. Slash and Duff are not originals. Stradlin wrote a tremendous amount - much more than McKagan. And everybody has an ego, Izzy included. It is quite a climb down to be reduced to a salary in the band you founded!! And it would be a 'reunion' at this stage if Stradlin was included.

No, I absolutely DO get that. But with the kind of integrity I thought someone like Duff would have that they could find money there if they wanted to. Or at least be like "we want it to be as real as possible. There's techincally this partnership, but you really have a voice and it'll be like when we started the band. Hell YOU founded it." Maybe there's just absolutely no way that works. If its a "non-signable contract" like the Bill Ward thing, then Izzy is right. But I just find it hard to believe Duff would go on with that, let alone the other two. I know his importance and his actual stake are two different things, but again hell froze over now that Axl and Slash can be in the same band. THIS is the problem we have now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all a business now I'm afraid, money and lawyers, The days of being a bunch of chums are long gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It's all a business now I'm afraid, money and lawyers, The days of being a bunch of chums are long gone.

I know, and its so true. I just read what you were saying in the "rock make a commercial comeback" thread and its all so true. I think you were the one saying "at some point doesn't Mick think he has enough money?!" I've said so many times people like McCartney, the Stones, Neil Young all charge $200-$400 for their concerts when they could charge $25 and still be absolutely FINE. I know why they don't, but at this point you'd think they have enough money to charge low.

I'm not expecting Guns to be this band of brothers anymore. They are all adults and money is money. I know thats a reality. What throws me is who's involved. Axl and Slash. Axl could have done this whenever and turned down money, and probably more success, than if he had done it years ago. Clearly now is different, we don't know why. Yes, Slash likes money, but he seemed to have integrity. He seemed to always say he'd do Guns again if it was done right. Hell, the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame was perfect because they did it respectfully with Sorum, Adler, and Gilby. But I get that Slash has also played the Super Bowl, whored himself out to many things, and Axl has always had a lavish lifestyle and changes opinions like the wind.

What gets me is Duff. Duff seems like SUCH a down to earth guy. He's friends with everyone, he really DOESN'T sell himself out, and he lives a more than comfortable lifestyle. It shocks me Axl and Slash would do Guns without Izzy, but it TRULY throws me Duff would. Cause Duff doesn't seem like a guy that needs the money. I'm sure its amazing, but he DOES seem like the guy that would throw it all away cause its not being done right. We obviously don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it really confuses me that he'd go along with it, without really fighting for Izzy, in the wake of Izzy seeming to say he wasn't even asked. Slash and Axl have business minds, there's no doubt about it. Duff really seemed different.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all about the money. Probably izzy wants same amount,yes he co wrote MOST of the catalog, but he abandoned the ship,didn't want anything to do with the partnership. His call. 

I think the twitter appearance is to put pressure on GNR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

I know, and its so true. I just read what you were saying in the "rock make a commercial comeback" thread and its all so true. I think you were the one saying "at some point doesn't Mick think he has enough money?!" I've said so many times people like McCartney, the Stones, Neil Young all charge $200-$400 for their concerts when they could charge $25 and still be absolutely FINE. I know why they don't, but at this point you'd think they have enough money to charge low.

I'm not expecting Guns to be this band of brothers anymore. They are all adults and money is money. I know thats a reality. What throws me is who's involved. Axl and Slash. Axl could have done this whenever and turned down money, and probably more success, than if he had done it years ago. Clearly now is different, we don't know why. Yes, Slash likes money, but he seemed to have integrity. He seemed to always say he'd do Guns again if it was done right. Hell, the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame was perfect because they did it respectfully with Sorum, Adler, and Gilby. But I get that Slash has also played the Super Bowl, whored himself out to many things, and Axl has always had a lavish lifestyle and changes opinions like the wind.

What gets me is Duff. Duff seems like SUCH a down to earth guy. He's friends with everyone, he really DOESN'T sell himself out, and he lives a more than comfortable lifestyle. It shocks me Axl and Slash would do Guns without Izzy, but it TRULY throws me Duff would. Cause Duff doesn't seem like a guy that needs the money. I'm sure its amazing, but he DOES seem like the guy that would throw it all away cause its not being done right. We obviously don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it really confuses me that he'd go along with it, without really fighting for Izzy, in the wake of Izzy seeming to say he wasn't even asked. Slash and Axl have business minds, there's no doubt about it. Duff really seemed different.

I believe most of these acts like the Stones & McCartney probably do it for the money, but they would be crazy to sell them for less as the demand would be way too high and it actually allows the die hard fans the chance to buy the tickets as you are not going to pay over $200 if you only like a handful of songs.  

Duff is a very odd thing, as you'd think he would get in touch with Izzy but again we actually no idea what is going on behind the scenes. No offence to Duff but to the casual fan, its Axl and Slash who are the biggest draws for these reunions, I love loaded but those two were like the last Mick and Keith type in a band. Also Duff is an accountant so i'd say he would have a business mind but I doubt he would get the same opportunities as Slash got over the years like Super Bowl, Guitar Hero Cartoons etc as you just see the top hat Curly hair and you think Slash, Guns N' Roses (Which could be a reason he always kept the hat) 

Slash is going through a divorce which i think played a part, but i don't think its only down to the money as my Theory is its somehow down to him being back with Meegan which i think i read slash cheated on back in the day  so if she can forgive him maybe Axl thought that he has actually changed... I could and probably be 100% wrong but its an theory. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Sure, I guess thats a possibility. But just everything thats happened with them over the years makes me so confused by that. Izzy was always willing to show up with Axl's Nu band and NOW they offer him a salary? Again, if they offered him full time and he couldn't commit I understand them backing off a bit. But if this is the real thing, why not reach out to him? Cause then that seems like a major turn on Axl's part. Axl wants Slash back in the band, but not a full reunion cause that "ruins" what he's been doing the last few years. The only guy that played with Izzy on a regular basis is now saying Izzy would be too much? That seems odd. And as @Italian girl has said, its almost unbelievable to me Slash and Duff haven't reached out to him. At the very least Duff. They don't seem like guys that would agree to Izzy on a salary. They seem like guys that would say "let's do this right", and Izzy was typical (how we all imagine) Izzy acting and they distancing theirselves from that. But I guess I'm just going around in circles with this. We don't know.

Why are you so suprised that Slash and Duff didn't call Izzy? Remeber that in the very early days of VR they didn't call Izzy either. It was Izzy who called them. Sure they let Izzy to join them but the fact that they didn't ask Izzy if he was interested it shows they were not desperate about having him. Then Izzy left because they didn't agree about the future VR singer. Izzy didn't want a singer. So maybe this time they figure would not be willing to deal with Axl. I know you could say this time is different because it's GN'R. Maybe Slash and Duff don't see it that way. Or they just fear Izzy will quit again at some point because of Axl or some other reason.

Don't get me wrong I think it sucks and it's disrespectfull that they didn't bother to call Izzy. Only Slash and Duff know why they don't care that much about him. But I'm not that surprised about the situation. I'd like to know the reason behind their lack of interest in Izzy. I hope they change their minds in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Padme said:

Why are you so suprised that Slash and Duff didn't call Izzy? Remeber that in the very early days of VR they didn't call Izzy either. It was Izzy who called them. Sure they let Izzy to join them but the fact that they didn't ask Izzy if he was interested it shows they were not desperate about having him. Then Izzy left because they didn't agree about the future VR singer. Izzy didn't want a singer. So maybe this time they figure would not be willing to deal with Axl. I know you could say this time is different because it's GN'R. Maybe Slash and Duff don't see it that way. Or they just fear Izzy will quit again at some point because of Axl or some other reason.

Don't get me wrong I think it sucks and it's disrespectfull that they didn't bother to call Izzy. Only Slash and Duff know why they don't care that much about him. But I'm not that surprised about the situation. I'd like to know the reason behind their lack of interest in Izzy. I hope they change their minds in the near future.

Its a good point. I think because Duff has always seemed to show a respect for Izzy makes me surprised if he's left out in the cold. People said it was Duff that Izzy had tell fans that he wouldn't be at the Hall Of Fame. They all know his importance, and Duff just seems like the most down to earth guy to know you at least try to get Izzy. But again, I'm not in the band so maybe thats just from my fan's mindset.

You're right that Slash has always seemed a little bit more Izzy distant, unless I'm making that up. Seems he brings him up least in terms of talking about Guns stuff. So I guess his behavior doesn't shock me, but yes as you say the fact that its going back to Guns, where Appetite is THE album for Slash seeing as thats what he mostly plays songs from, makes it odder to me. I guess just that his name wouldn't come up in conversation. Why wouldn't Slash want to get REAL Guns back instead of joining Axl's band? Cause then you just have Axl, who I don't know why they'd be afraid Izzy wouldn't want to deal with him. If Izzy didn't want to deal with Axl Izzy wouldn't have dealt with Axl all those times he did guest appearances. So just between all 3 of them, yes it seems very surprising to me that he would be left out. I'm not in the room, but I have to imagine his name was either vetoed as not being essential or Izzy said no, cause I don't know how between the 3 of them the idea of the Appetite lineup doesn't come up.

In order, I'm surprised most Duff didn't call him, second most that Slash didn't, and third Axl, even though the fact that Axl and Izzy seemed to be "bros" could put him and Slash tied at the same level of surprise. If indeed, of course, that no one called him. We don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it could also be that this time they don't want anyone (old band or new band) as guest at some shows. Your are either in or out for the whole thing no matter what. And they aren't sure about Izzy's commintment. But then I also wonder about Adler. If Adler isn't the involved in some capacity then why is he so silent? I personally want Izzy full time and the only rythm guitar guy in the band. But it's not up to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Padme said:

Maybe it could also be that this time they don't want anyone (old band or new band) as guest at some shows. Your are either in or out for the whole thing no matter what. And they aren't sure about Izzy's commintment. But then I also wonder about Adler. If Adler isn't the involved in some capacity then why is he so silent? I personally want Izzy full time and the only rythm guitar guy in the band. But it's not up to me.

Maybe Steven doesn't have to be quiet and he's just doing it to show them he CAN :lol:. So that they trust him in the future. But then that wouldn't explain Sorum...

I agree with what you're saying but I do think there's more. And if its an all or nothing thing, I would at least hope they asked Izzy before just assuming he wouldn't commit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said it before and I will say it again.

Izzy didn't want to be in the band anymore 1991, for reasons that were never secret.

obviously, now Izzy wants to be back - period.

Meaning, if Izzy is back, it won't be like many here suggest - a couple of songs a show.

it is either him or Fortus and Ferrer.

out of all Gunners Izzy/Gilby/Matt and Steve, Fortus and Ferrer are the least I want to see on stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.