Do you REALLY believe this reunion was planned on a whim?

Do you REALLY believe this "reunion" happened on a whim?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I realize that the mods/admins here were told by the higher ups that this "reunion" with Slash was put into motion after Axl was dumpster babied by Ron, Stinson, and, finally Ashba in the July of 2015 (the very end of July too, mind you). And while I believe that's what they were told, there's no way on God's green Earth that I believe that's how shit actually went down. We're talking about an operation that took months  and months of delays to release a god damn beach towel as a prize, but they somehow accomplished something as miraculous and epic as a reunion with Slash in less than six months? Unexpectedly, straight on a whim?

Jesus Christ, give me a break :lol:

• Like 1

Everything this band does even with "proper" planning always, always, always, finds a way to go awry. That doesn't mean shit to me :lol:

theres just no way I believe they not only negotiated terms with Slash in less than six months, but then actually went ahead and announced it to the public in less than six months as well. This operation has never run that smoothly, and I just can't bring myself to collect the logic to believe they magically became competent enough to handle something as grandiose as that in such a short time frame. No fuckin way. This was in the works way before Ashba said "fuck this noise". How, when, where, and why? No idea. But I know there's more to it than they'll ever admit.

Edited by Bobbo

Can anyone tell me when Fernando came here telling us about news in 2 to 4 months? Wasn't that before Ashba left? Or was it right after?

I wouldn't have thought it would take such a short time to get it all arranged, thinking back to the dvd and the genius manager remark. It seems weird they brokrer a reunion in a few months, while the dvd took years. Then again, maybe it's best to do it all quickly, the more time passes, the more things can go wrong.

DVD took years because Slash wasn't in the band. Asking Slash to come back in the band, especially after an expensive divorce which saw his ex-wife keep his house, would likely have been quicker.

No way was it planned on a whim. Maybe a GNR-historian(TM) can dig up where the guy from the Hard Rock (I think)said they were in negotiations  (or something to that effect )to reunite the original lineup. I think this was in 2014 after the last residency.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Subtle Signs said:

No way was it planned on a whim. Maybe a GNR-historian(TM) can dig up where the guy from the Hard Rock (I think)said they were in negotiations  (or something to that effect )to reunite the original lineup. I think this was in 2014 after the last residency.

Thing is we've heard those kind of rumours for years. Even in early 2006 there were a lot of rumours that Axl wanted at least a one-off reunion show.

3 minutes ago, Amir said:

Thing is we've heard those kind of rumours for years. Even in early 2006 there were a lot of rumours that Axl wanted at least a one-off reunion show.

Yes but this was a rumor from somebody with a name not Joe Basement,a kid from Brazil on the Interwebz.

I read the poll question wrong. I meant to vote *no* not *yes*

Edited by Subtle Signs

Just now, Subtle Signs said:

Yes but this was a rumor from somebody with a name not Joe Basement,a kid from Brazil on the Interwebz.

Promoters have been saying that kind of shit for years to drum up interest. I can't see why Ashba would hang around for so long after the residency before handing in his resignation, or why Axl would reportedly be surprised and upset at his departure.

The only scenario I can think of which accommodates both is that Axl was perhaps planning on having Slash replace Bumblefoot, but Ashba realised there was no point in him hanging around if Slash was in the band as well. I dunno, it's all very confusing.

I think there's also the possibility of TB or other people in Axl's camp putting things in motion behind Axl's back.

Well, someone here said that Dell told them during the last residency that there will be a reunion. It seems quite plausible.

I am sure the reconciliation must have been much earlier, those two had a lot of explaining to do before they could even start taking the reunion seriously and then still many things had to be taken care of.

No there were too many signs pointing to a reunion before 2015 for it to be coincidence. For example Fortus mentioning that they're working on unreleased Slash era GNR songs in 2014.

Besides I doubt that the conflict between Axl and Slash could have been solved in a short period of time.

Edited by Lies They Tell

I think there's a distinction between reconciliation between Axl and Slash and plans for the two to tour together again.

The reconciliation had to have happened in 2014 for them to sign off on each other's DVD releases, but I still don't think plans for Slash to rejoin GNR came into effect until some point in 2015, at least in Axl's mind. Whether people in his camp were negotiating it behind his back before then is another matter.

8 minutes ago, Amir said:

Promoters have been saying that kind of shit for years to drum up interest. I can't see why Ashba would hang around for so long after the residency before handing in his resignation, or why Axl would reportedly be surprised and upset at his departure.

The only scenario I can think of which accommodates both is that Axl was perhaps planning on having Slash replace Bumblefoot, but Ashba realised there was no point in him hanging around if Slash was in the band as well. I dunno, it's all very confusing.

I think there's also the possibility of TB or other people in Axl's camp putting things in motion behind Axl's back.

I doubt TB put things in motion behind his back. Just like Axl didn't know about the 2002 Tour Dates? Come on! Axl runs the show in reality,not TB.

Also maybe Bumble,Ashba and Stinson were hanging on til their contracts were up and/or bought out. 

There is/was too much money on the table to put this thing together in July 2015 and have the Coachella announcement in January. 

Edited by Subtle Signs

1 minute ago, Amir said:

I think there's a distinction between reconciliation between Axl and Slash and plans for the two to tour together again.

The reconciliation had to have happened in 2014 for them to sign off on each other's DVD releases, but I still don't think plans for Slash to rejoin GNR came into effect until some point in 2015, at least in Axl's mind. Whether people in his camp were negotiating it behind his back before then is another matter.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but why would you think they were going behind his back?

39 minutes ago, Bobbo said:

I realize that the mods/admins here were told by the higher ups that this "reunion" with Slash was put into motion after Axl was dumpster babied by Ron, Stinson, and, finally Ashba in the July of 2015 (the very end of July too, mind you). And while I believe that's what they were told, there's no way on God's green Earth that I believe that's how shit actually went down. We're talking about an operation that took months  and months of delays to release a god damn beach towel as a prize, but they somehow accomplished something as miraculous and epic as a reunion with Slash in less than six months? Unexpectedly, straight on a whim?

Jesus Christ, give me a break :lol:

Considering how it unfolds, it doesn't seem to hav been in planning for a long time :D

Don't know, but I do care. I guess we will find out.

Just now, Subtle Signs said:

I doubt TB put things in motion behind his back. Just like Axl didn't know about the 2002 Tour Dates? Come on! All runs the show in reality,not TB.

Also maybe Bumble,Ashba and Stinson were hanging on til their contracts were up and/or bought out. 

There is/was too much money on the table to put this thing together in July 2015 and have the Coachella announcement in January. 

I think the amount of money on the table would grant expediency to promoters and festivals such as Coachella to make or even change plans in GNR's favour. I think it's also why the dates have been trickling out since, as some festivals are unwilling to change plans not only because of the late nature of it all but also because of Axl/GNR's reputation.

1 minute ago, Babooshka said:

Not saying I agree or disagree, but why would you think they were going behind his back?

There have been rumoured incidences of it before, such as Beta allegedly incurring Axl's wrath when she was pictured with Doug Goldstein around '08/'09, or Duff's appearance at the 2010 London show. Axl is on record as being unhappy with finding out after the fact the exact nature of the deal Izzy made with management for his guest appearances on the 2006 tour.

I think looking at the whole picture there is probably a separation of the resolving of long standing legal issues (AFD Bluray) and deciding to do a reunion. If a lot of the legal issues hadn't been sorted already the reunion either wouldn't have happened or would have taken much longer to be announced. Also I expect reuniting with Slash, despite comments made publicly, is something that Axl has given a fair bit of thought to at various points even if he never intended to do anything with it until last year.

• Like 1

The one reason I believe that they didn't just do this on a whim is the fact that there were probably some very long, involved contracts that needed to be negotiated. All three of these guys have been good about protecting their money, more or less, and I can't think that any of them would just walk into something this big without hammering out the details. That would have taken time and attorney meetings.

NuGNR seemed to know it was over after Vegas. They all quietly went off and did their own things. And Axl sent them those signed gold records, which seem like farewell gifts, more than a year before this all was announced.

I am guessing that Ashba's public resignation letter may have coincided with when he was informed that the reunion was a done deal -- which was summer 2015 -- but I am also guessing that it was a long time in the making.

38 minutes ago, Amir said:

I think that is a really good point. Reconciling their personal relationship has never been synonymous with "let's put the band back together!" I mean, Duff and Axl started talking again in 2010; it took up until now for him to play with Axl again on a full-time basis.

Edited by stella
  • Like 2

There's also the rumor that has gone around for a while that they were waiting for Slash's divorce to be final before announcing anything so it wouldn't hurt Slash financially. Slash gave that interview where he said that things were cool with him and Axl in the summer of 2015. That's also when his divorce appears to have been finalized, because it's when his house went on the market (which was discussed here). It also is also when Ashba formally resigned. That all lines up with the allegation that they deliberately waited until a specific point to say *anything* that would give anyone hope of a reunion.