What lines (if any) from Chinese Democracy songs do you believe are about Axl's former bandmates?

23 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

:lol:

Considering a large part of the album is about romantic love, unless Axl & Slash were romantically linked at some point you would be incorrect.... but I'm guessing you're joking....lol.

I'm not joking.

I think people see what they want to see, and the same thing happens when they hear Axl's lyrics. They give them a meaning that fits their narrative even if there's no real evidence behind their theories. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lio said:

I always thought it was Duff and Slash. But in the chats, Axl says at least Slash was saying something similar to shut up and sing.

Fascinating info from that quote you posted.  Do you have any more context on the quote?  Like Slash had songs with lyrics done and all he wanted was Axl to sing what was written?

This I Love is about Slash

3 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Well I hope you are not saying Axl wrote This I love about Slash. 

dammit i was beat...one time i was thinking about how everybody thinks every song on CD is about Slash then This I Love came on...i just busted out laughing and planned to wait till this thread was made again to post this....and it was spoiled

Edited by -W.A.R-

1 hour ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Fascinating info from that quote you posted.  Do you have any more context on the quote?  Like Slash had songs with lyrics done and all he wanted was Axl to sing what was written?

I think it was around the time the initial feuds began.  Slash laid down riffs to some songs (one of them possibly the initial stages of 'Fall to Pieces')...Axl wanted to put his input into the songs and was basically told to "just worry about singing it" or something along those lines.....totally from the rumor mill, btw.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

Even though Axl says otherwise, I don't think you can deny that "sorry" is about slash. Some say it was about about Stephanie, but I don't think she ever told Axl to just shut up and sing.

So you are saying that Axl lied?

As somebody who has always hated the media and felt like they go out of their way to tear him down, isn't more logical to think the line could be directed at them? Or at the people (critics, media, non fans or even fans) who bash Axl for his ranting on stage and just want to see him sing the songs? 

4 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Well I hope you are not saying Axl wrote This I love about Slash. 

Unless Axl takes a video selfie of himself, holding a newspaper, and delivers a short message saying TIL isn't about Slash" then we clearly should assume that it is - in fact - about Slash. 

3 hours ago, AlterL said:

I think people see what they want to see, and the same thing happens when they hear Axl's lyrics. They give them a meaning that fits their narrative even if there's no real evidence behind their theories. 

And we have the topic winner. 

Great post. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Slash's_Snakepit_It's_Five_O'Clock_Somew

Slash's first solo album, which he wanted to be the follow-up to the UYI's.

The album was not meant to be the follow-up. Some of the riffs contained were written for the next GNR album. Those riffs were rejected by Axl so he brought them to Eric and co, and they became the songs on 5oC. After which Axl changed his mind and said he wanted to work with the riffs after all, and he also threatened to sue Slash, but it was too late.

52 minutes ago, jellyzero said:

Sorry = Matt Sorum

The shut up and sing part stems from the UYI tour when Axl ran off stage pissed off and Matt had finally had enough of it and went back stage basically telling him that he should "shut up and sing". 

I remember hearing a variation of that rumor as well....I guess only Axl & co know the truth. 

2 hours ago, NOVEMBER COMA said:

There may be a few in the CD album but a definite one from Slash's point was 'Crucify the Dead' : "We had the same dream, lived life to the extreme, a loaded gun jammed by a Rose"  

"We were like brothers with the world in our hands, you always had too much to say. Someday you'll look back and you'll wonder why you let it all slip away." 

Great song, lyrics were written by Ozzy though. 

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

"We were like brothers with the world in our hands, you always had too much to say. Someday you'll look back and you'll wonder why you let it all slip away." 

Agree written by Ozzy who I think said in an article that this song is about 'all former bandmates'. Hard to believe with those lyrics that it is not directed at Axl. Great song.

26 minutes ago, Babooshka said:

The album was not meant to be the follow-up. Some of the riffs contained were written for the next GNR album. Those riffs were rejected by Axl so he brought them to Eric and co, and they became the songs on 5oC. After which Axl changed his mind and said he wanted to work with the riffs after all, and he also threatened to sue Slash, but it was too late.

'intended to be the follow up' was about as brief of an explanation as I could give but anyway, I thought most/all of it was at some point intended for GNR and Axl/Duff only wanted to work on a handful of the songs? And when Slash saw that they weren't gonna be used he put together It's Five O'clock Somewhere. But most songs were intended for Guns initially.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

'intended to be the follow up' was about as brief of an explanation as I could give but anyway, I thought most/all of it was at some point intended for GNR and Axl/Duff only wanted to work on a handful of the songs? And when Slash saw that they weren't gonna be used he put together It's Five O'clock Somewhere. But most songs were intended for Guns initially.

The only song I know for sure (but I'm sure many others were as well) is 'Fall to Pieces' (or a variation of the song) I believe Axl stated that he heard the initial riffs of the song one of the last times he had been in contact with Slash (or Slash's camp), before the eventual breakup, in one of his interviews.

Edited by Kasanova King

4 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that Ozzy was credited as the songwriter so that Axl wouldn't sue Slash but that the song was in fact written by Slash (probably with Ozzy as input though).

Edit: Nevermind the song was written by Ozzy but it's based on what he would tell Axl if he we're in Slash's shoes! http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ozzy-says-crucify-the-dead-lyrics-are-what-he-would-say-to-axl-rose-if-he-were-slash/

Edited by youngswedishvinyl