The official Civil War-only "how many shades of shit is this GNR reunion actually going to be?" thread

Towelie

actually?

zero

Beccause fans whom doesn't over analyze everything  will be having a helluva good time

My only concern is Axl's voice, though. They sound awesome again, even with Frank and 4tus so i don't give a damn about Izzy or Steven anymore

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was a great thread if only because of the debate between Towlie and Len considering the merits of the song Coma. Greatest song EVER? Or POS? Lol I lean more towards POS. It's like G n R tried to write a prog rock song, lolol.

anyway, this is the way to have an online debate. With humor and respect and without getting all butt hurt and hostile. Good job guys. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2016 at 2:11 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Change the title because this is just and slightly improved version of NuGnR.. Nothing more... Not a reunion like they sold it.

So, how was it not NUGNR in 1991-1993 when Izzy and Steven were gone and Dizzy was there, but it's NuGNR now with the same ratio of AFD-era members as in 1991-1993?

On 6 April 2016 at 7:11 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Change the title because this is just and slightly improved version of NuGnR.. Nothing more... Not a reunion like they sold it.

They never sold it as a reunion.  Can you show me one single bit of advertising where they did? 

• Like 1

On 06/04/2016 at 5:05 PM, Strange Broue said:

actually?

zero

Beccause fans whom doesn't over analyze everything  will be having a helluva good time

My only concern is Axl's voice, though. They sound awesome again, even with Frank and 4tus so i don't give a damn about Izzy or Steven anymore

'fans who don't over analyse everything will be having a helluva good time!'

'my only concern is Axls voice!'

:lol:

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

They never sold it as a reunion.  Can you show me one single bit of advertising where they did? 

The sly old dogs!

'excuse me sir, i bought this apple from your stall a minute ago and it's bruised up one side'

'i don't sell apples'

'yes you do, look, there's a ton of them on the stall right next to you, i just bought one 2 minutes ago!'

'if you care to look closely at the sign there's only one P in what you thought said 'apples'. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

So, how was it not NUGNR in 1991-1993 when Izzy and Steven were gone and Dizzy was there, but it's NuGNR now with the same ratio of AFD-era members as in 1991-1993?

To start, it isn't the same ratio of AFD members. They play songs like Rocket Queen and KOHD the same was as NuGnR and it is awful.. They have a second useless Synth player like NuGnR.. Annoying Pyro.. Still play 3 CD songs a set.. They even play the same covers as NuGnR... Axl is still in charge.. It is what it is..  Slash and Duff joined NuGnR which is still a major upgrade.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

To start, it isn't the same ratio of AFD members. They play songs like Rocket Queen and KOHD the same was as NuGnR and it is awful.. They have a second useless Synth player like NuGnR.. Annoying Pyro.. Still play 3 CD songs a set.. They even play the same covers as NuGnR... Axl is still in charge.. It is what it is..  Slash and Duff joined NuGnR which is still a major upgrade.

No dif then when when Teddy Zizag, the sax an horn players, the dancers and the Tracey and Roberta were all part of the band...that amounted to 12 people on stage in 92, 93...Much bigger band than today.

3 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

No dif then when when Teddy Zizag, the sax an horn players, the dancers and the Tracey and Roberta were all part of the band...that amounted to 12 people on stage in 92, 93...Much bigger band than today.

First your reply didn't have anything to do with my post but......

It is different.. Those weren't official band members and were only on stage for select songs. Not every song. They were touring musicians for the bloated 1992 tour then they went back to the basics for the Skin N Bones tour. Down to 6 guys onstage and sounding better than they had in a long time. 

I don't know what the big deal is, I think most would agree that right now this band is more NuGnR in spirit than classic Gn'R.. Even with Duff and Slash back.. I am pretty sure even Slash and Duff would agree. They joined Axl's band. Them joining was an upgrade but it it still very NuGnR in essence. Not much has changed besides Slash is back playing his guitar solos the right way.. Which is great.  Seeing Slash play the solos he hasn't played in so long was the absolute highlight of the show I went to. 

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It sounds like you need a time machine.

I would suggest heading to YouTube and watching the Ritz show for your GNR fix going forward. Even if the "Original 5" reunited and played with the vibe of the Ritz show, it's still a bunch of 50-something-year-old dudes struggling to find the energy at the end compared to a bunch of 20-something-year-old dudes at the apex of their cocaine-induced adrenaline rush. It won't be the same. Maybe you're just looking for the same "sound," but even that will be tweaked. And it certainly won't "look" the same as it did back then. GNR from 1987-1991 was lightning in a bottle. Even if they got back together, just the AFD five, I doubt they'd be able to have the lightning strike the same way.

And then people would complain because GNR, even the "Original 5," would come off as a cheap knock-off cover band impersonating their former selves. See how it's a merry-go-round of reasons to gripe?

Edited by 3rd Wheel

They can't be the original 5 because they changed. Original 5 were out of their mind on drugs. Well 4 of them anyway. If they started to do this again, they would dissolved right there on stage. Adler couldn't hold a beat. I also doubt he can do a full 2h30 show and keep at it without missing a beat.

Edited by SidneyWish

49 minutes ago, 3rd Wheel said:

Maybe you're just looking for the same "sound," but even that will be tweaked. And it certainly won't "look" the same as it did back then. GNR from 1987-1991 was lightning in a bottle. Even if they got back together, just the AFD five, I doubt they'd be able to have the lightning strike the same way.

That is all.. I juust want it to sound good buddy..

Hopefully it changes, but right now it sounds mostly like NuGnR with Slash greatly improving the lead guitar. I don't care if it is the original 5 or not as long as they don't sound like shit. Slash's fucking solo band and VR sound more like Gn'R than this band does right now playing Guns songs. I don't need a fucking time machine and I realize they aren't in their 20's. There are plenty of bands that age and still stay true to their sound while putting on amazing shows. Fact is that this still more NuGnR than anything and NuGnR imo sucked. That can mostly be attributed Fortus and Frank who haven't tried at all to help capture the classic sounds that made this band great. Aside from Frank finally playing Brownstone right they haven't changed a f'n thing for the better.  Having Slash and Duff back should be enough to make this thing sound great.. It just doesn't.

This Rocket Queen is an absolute abomination. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a665wk23Vwg

Edited by Tom-Ass

Wtf, Rocket Queen is one of the highlights of the set. They played it differently in 09 to 14 and I prefer the Fortus and Slash jam to the too long Conspirators versions (those are ok too though sometimes)

Edited by ZoSoRose

10 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That is all.. I juust want it to sound good buddy..

Hopefully it changes, but right now it sounds mostly like NuGnR with Slash greatly improving the lead guitar. I don't care if it is the original 5 or not as long as they don't sound like shit. Slash's fucking solo band and VR sound more like Gn'R than this band does right now playing Guns songs. I don't need a fucking time machine and I realize they aren't in their 20's. There are plenty of bands that age and still stay true to their sound while putting on amazing shows. Fact is that this still more NuGnR than anything and NuGnR imo sucked. That can mostly be attributed Fortus and Frank who haven't tried at all to help capture the classic sounds that made this band great. Aside from Frank finally playing Brownstone right they haven't changed a f'n thing for the better.  Having Slash and Duff back should be enough to make this thing sound great.. It just doesn't.

This Rocket Queen is an absolute abomination. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a665wk23Vwg

I understand ripping on Frank -- even if I don't entirely agree with it -- but ripping on Fortus doesn't make much sense. He DOES, to me, fit the GNR vibe. He seems like he seamlessly fits with Slash, Duff and Axl. Watching him, I feel he IS part of Guns N' Roses, rather than imitating a piece of it. Fortus has done well capturing the GNR sound while also putting his own mark on it, rather that mimicking someone.

1 hour ago, 3rd Wheel said:

I understand ripping on Frank -- even if I don't entirely agree with it -- but ripping on Fortus doesn't make much sense. He DOES, to me, fit the GNR vibe. He seems like he seamlessly fits with Slash, Duff and Axl. Watching him, I feel he IS part of Guns N' Roses, rather than imitating a piece of it. Fortus has done well capturing the GNR sound while also putting his own mark on it, rather that mimicking someone.

ok, my issues with Fortus..

He is louder than Slash half the time. I think that is partly due to his ego as a lead player.

He isn't content with playing the songs the way they were written. Listen to Rocket Queen for example, he changes the rhythm parts so much that between him and Frank the song is ruined. The totally lose the magic and feel of that song. Those Appetite songs are near and dear to peoples hearts and I feel should be played close to the originals.  I know Axl gave them the freedom to play the songs how they wanted but they should try and revert back now. That could also be partly due to his ego as a lead player.

I don't like his tone. Don't know if it is reverb or effects but it sounds too punchy. It doesn't fit the classic hard blues rock sound that Guns were all about.  The verses on It's So Easy are an example. You can hear it right away on It's So Easy from the Troubador. It is pretty clear since his guitars are drowning Slash's out.

Those are my issues with Fortus.  Not as prominent as Frank but combined it adds up for me. 

We see and hear it different. I respect your opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

He is louder than Slash half the time. I think that is partly due to his ego as a lead player.

Just watched LALD from Coachella. Axl fucking nailed it. Fortus almost completely drowned out Slash except for the solo.. What a fucking shame.

Edited by Tom-Ass