Alt nation article: Slash and Duff working on unreleased CD tracks

"I am under the impression that many of the songs from the group of songs we think of as the ‘second half’ of Chinese are still intended for release. Slash & Duff did some studio work on a couple of them, which will hopefully be released on a ‘best of’ collection later this year."

That's a reasonable impression to be under whether you have inside info or not and goes back to Fortus saying what he did about working on a track that dates back to when Slash was still in the band long before the rumours of him returning blew up. Would also explain the reports of Slash working on material but Axl not being in the studio. He did his parts 15 years ago!

Releasing compilations with two new songs is pretty much what bands like Rolling Stones and The Who have been doing over and over for years now.

I think it would be great, but here is my thing; I want a 2 disc set, with preferably 3-4 new songs. I know 2 is the typical thing, but for us that's just a dick tease. At least try and make it worth our while.

I also have trouble with how many and what CD songs should included. 4 seems like maybe the magic number, but what 4? Hopefully not Chinese Democracy or street of dreams. I would say, given the concert set lists, Better and This I love are shoe ins. But what other 2? I personally would vote for TWAT and Sorry, I think that would be a solid 4 songs to represent that album.  But I have a bad feeling Maddy would get picked over TWAT, which is a crime IMO. Maddy is a solid song, but TWAT is probably the best song on that album. 

As far as the classic albums go, id say it's fairly obvious.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

i will be happy when i read that slash is adding solos and that duff and izzy are "working" on these songs

i am sure that had izzy, slash and duff "worked" on axl songs like madagascar, there was a time, etc etc etc then these songs would be 18 milllion tims better than they are and i m sure they would sound just as good as  november rain and estranged

Do we really need a new best of package? If not a full new album, I'd love 4 songs released as an EP or something like that.

That said, I hope it's true.

Shame they will erase Bucket's and Robin's parts, but as long as they release some new music in any form I won't complain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emybdc said:

Sorry, but who/what is MSL?

Im not sure if Im supposed to talk about him, but well he runs the forum GNRTruth and the people over there don't like us. He somehow got access to email accounts of Beta or some one from the management and leaked info out, he even leaked CD songs and got in to legal trouble. 

I really can't say if he is reliable, but some of the things he has said, they have become true, maybe he guessed or maybe he knows something. 

• Like 2

Hopefully this is true. It's credible enough - a new "best of" has been rumoured anyways. New songs only sweetens the deal. It's a way of cashing in on the tour while still getting a couple new tracks out there without the pressure of doing a full album. Like others have mentioned, bands like The Stones have been doing this for years. Ideally, a new album would follow but for now if we get this at least it's something.

Edited by James Bond
I blame the iPhone.

I hope it's true, but I question the source. It's not too tough of a stretch to make up or believe.

I said awhile ago I could very well seems duff re-record tommys parts then have slash record a new solo over a former Buckethead or even better a former robin finck solo. They probably even would only need to do that on a couple of songs, might make the album more credible and allow it to be released. So they could still get a follow up to Chinese, slash and duff would have new parts, axl could save his voice, and not all the material would be buried.

Honestly, it's actually not that much of A stretch if you think about it, and it might even very well be for the best. But again, seeing how I could make something like that up then I think anyone with an open mind could as well.

Edited by Billsfan

It would be damn funny if the songs Slash and Duff are working is Oh My God, Silkworms, and the Shaq song. God I hope not.

Now if Slash lays down killer solos for these mythical/infamous titles like Atlas Shrugged and The General, I am interested. 

• Like 1

my thoughts on this are "missed opportunity".

more frankenstein rock.

they need to sit in a room, make the magic work and pump out some balsy rockers. not songs like atlas shrugged which are more than ten years in the making, and if the CD album is anything to go by, lack any blood and sweat that a real rock n roll song should have.

they should make Axl sing some of those songs izzy and duff were working on in stead.

atlas shrugged should be released "as is" like the rest of the CD2 album already in the can, and move on from there

Edited by action
  • Like 1

Just now, action said:

more frankenstein rock.

they need to sit in a room, make the magic work and pump out some balsy rockers. not songs like atlas shrugged which are more than ten years in the making, and if the CD is anything to go by, lack any blood and sweat that a real rock n roll song should have.

they should make Axl sing some of those sings izzy and duff were working on in stead.

atlas shrugged should be released "as is" like the rest of the CD2 album already in the can, and move on from there

You said it! I could give a shit about unreleased CD tracks.. The ones that were released sucked bad enough. Frankenstein rock is a perfect word for it. Using the word rock loosely.. Just because Slash copies and pastes a solo over some digital BS isn't going to make it sound good.. Go woth a formula that works.. Have Axl re work the songs that Slash, Izzy and Duff wrote as you said.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, action said:

more frankenstein rock.

they need to sit in a room, make the magic work and pump out some balsy rockers. not songs like atlas shrugged which are more than ten years in the making, and if the CD album is anything to go by, lack any blood and sweat that a real rock n roll song should have.

they should make Axl sing some of those songs izzy and duff were working on in stead.

This is the path they should take. "Tinkering" with a mixed song always ends with a mess, I have tried to impart new production skills on old mixes and it is a bit like trying pull the bottom section out of a Jenga stack without it falling over - yes now the guitars sound crisper, but the low mids you cut have revealed some unpleasant bass noise, so you fix that and then your kick drum loses its power and on it goes - a mix that has had any amount of time invested in it that you are happy with at some point in time should be left as exactly that, music from a point in time. Axl should shovel his leftovers out under his own name. He finally has at least some of the people who helped create their finest music back in fold. He shouldn't squander that on the songs that weren't good enough for CD.