Alt nation article: Slash and Duff working on unreleased CD tracks

13 hours ago, wasted said:

Ask him to play but doesn't need permission to use his riff idea? Same could apply to Freese who wrote riff to Chi dem then left or Tobias. Axl can't force them to come back and play but they can't stop him using their ideas. 

I think I have led the conversation astray. What I thought we were talking about was that Axl asked Slash to lay down tracks on CD after the '96 walk out? & I assume sometime before it's release in '08? That's what I thought was said in the original post but I have gotten confused. The tracks must have been layed down pre '96 yes?? These I assume are the tracks that Richard has recently mentioned.

I think they will go on the world tour then take a break for a bit and come back with a new album and tour.

For example Kiss did it when they got back together in 1996...went on tour....1998 new album and tour...

But yes I would love to see a news Guns album with Slash back.

4 hours ago, NOVEMBER COMA said:

I think I have led the conversation astray. What I thought we were talking about was that Axl asked Slash to lay down tracks on CD after the '96 walk out? & I assume sometime before it's release in '08? That's what I thought was said in the original post but I have gotten confused. The tracks must have been layed down pre '96 yes?? These I assume are the tracks that Richard has recently mentioned.

Yes I think so. Fortus must have been working on a Slash riff ...I was going to say 96 but what if his quote is about recently working with Slash? I think he mentioned it was from way back when though. 

If you want to date the possibility of a reunion, you could say when Slash went up to Axl's house. That's when Slash was over it. 

I think Slash signing off on Appetite for Democracy and Axl signing off on Made in Stoke is business truce? 

I think maybe Slash wanted to go solo and wanted Axl go solo too. Not keep the name. Then later do a reunion when Axl was ready to rock. Axl made an album about his betrayal under the GNR name. So Slash like don't do it, Axl is like you made me? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wasted said:

Yes I think so. Fortus must have been working on a Slash riff ...I was going to say 96 but what if his quote is about recently working with Slash? I think he mentioned it was from way back when though. 

If you want to date the possibility of a reunion, you could say when Slash went up to Axl's house. That's when Slash was over it. 

I think Slash signing off on Appetite for Democracy and Axl signing off on Made in Stoke is business truce? 

I think maybe Slash wanted to go solo and wanted Axl go solo too. Not keep the name. Then later do a reunion when Axl was ready to rock. Axl made an album about his betrayal under the GNR name. So Slash like don't do it, Axl is like you made me? 

Makes sense that Axl will use whatever is good and Slash is a riff making machine. Fortus is a session guitarist. Taking a good idea and adding his thing to it must come natural to him. Especially if it's Hard Rock.

I think he just mentioned it happened, not recently, but only a guess.

The signing off on the blu rays was a good sign and it all escalated slowly with Duff and Del's happy Bday wish to Slash.

Bottom line it took 20 years for Axl to do what Slash probably thought he'll do in 2 to 3 years. What's funny is now Axl's solo album is done, Slash's solo band effort is almost finished and they're old and together in Guns again.

Axl's vault material with Fortus, Duff, and Slash are enough imo without Izzy.

But if they didn't make Izzy a part of this it's a shame. No one can provide Izzy's ideas, among other things. The smart thing to do imo will be to splurge on Izzy: give him what he wants. Money, whores, dirt bikes, gangster suits, just make him as much a part of the reunion as he wants to be. Let him write with Duff and Slash and show up live on some shows.

They're making the same mistake again if they think it will be as good without Izzy. Like there is a lot of material already recorded, but a few Izzy tunes can make a world of difference.

Edited by Rovim

31 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It  makes sense Axl will use whatever is good and Slash is a riff making machine. Fortus is a session guitarist. Taking a good ideas and adding his thing to it must come natural to him, especially if it's hard rock.

I think he just mentioned it happened, not recently, but only a guess.

The signing off on the blu rays was a good sign and it all escalated slowly with Duff and Del's happy bday wish to Slash.

Bottom line it took 20 years for Axl to do what Slash probably thought he'll do in 2 to 3 years. What's funny is now Axl's solo album is done, Slash's solo band effort is almost finished and they're old and together in Guns again.

Axl's vault material with Fortus, Duff, and Slash are enough imo without Izzy.

But if they didn't make Izzy a part of this it's a shame. No one can provide Izzy's ideas, among other things. The smart thing to do imo will be to put it all on Izzy: give him what he wants. Money, whores, dirt bikes, gangster suits, just make him as much a part of the reunion as he wants be. Let him write with Duff and Slash and show up live on some shows.

They're making the same mistake again if they think it will be as good without Izzy. Like there is a lot of material already recorded, but a few Izzy tunes can make a world of difference.

Maybe there will be one on the record. And to Izzy it's just not worth the effort to just get one song on the record. Like Finck basically had Better on the record. Then it's 15 years of touring. But Izzy is in the background he doesn't have the dynamics for Stadium rock. He has a cool aesethetic which works more in his solo band. His style is almost the antithesis of GNR's metal anthems where everything is ramped up. maybe there is no real way to slot into CD II material for Izzy and it's just not for him anymore. Maybe he doesn't just want to be the song feeder to Slash and Axl he has his own thing he wants to do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wasted said:
1 hour ago, wasted said:

Maybe there will be one on the record. And to Izzy it's just not worth the effort to just get one song on the record. Like Finck basically had Better on the record. Then it's 15 years of touring. But Izzy is in the background he doesn't have the dynamics for Stadium rock. He has a cool aesethetic which works more in his solo band. His style is almost the antithesis of GNR's metal anthems where everything is ramped up. maybe there is no real way to slot into CD II material for Izzy and it's just not for him anymore. Maybe he doesn't just want to be the song feeder to Slash and Axl he has his own thing he wants to do. 

The Niven thing is still peculiar. And what Marc said about Izzy and how he thinks Izzy wants to do it. I'd sure like to know if it's actually his lack of interest or Axl just not counting on him, doesn't consider him to be a partner or whatever the fuck.

If another album is ever released, I hope at least Down By The Ocean will be in there somewhere. They can still work something out with him in the near future. He only said he's not writing with them and not part of the first shows. Seems the door is always open if you don't want to fuck around, get something done and be fair about it. He started the band so if they're gonna reunite, surely it doesn't have to be all or nothing. They need him, he can take it or leave it.

This is the last round. If they don't have Izzy, it's still exciting, but could be better. He's the back to basics guy, his ideas can anchor the album and live it will just be cool to see Dust N' Bones and his vocals as well.

Edited by Rovim

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

The Niven thing is still peculiar. And what Marc said about Izzy and how he thinks Izzy wants to do it. I'd sure like to know if it's actually his lack of interest or Axl just not counting on him, doesn't consider him to be a partner or whatever the fuck.

If another album is ever released, I hope at least Down By The Ocean will be in there somewhere. They can still work something out with him in the near future. He only said he's not writing with them and not part of the first shows. Seems the door is always open if you don't want to fuck around, get something done and be fair about it. He started the band so if they're gonna reunite, surely it doesn't have to be all or nothing. They need him, he can take it or leave it.

This is the last round. If they don't have Izzy, it's still exciting, but could be better. He's the back to basics guy, his ideas can anchor the album and live it will just be cool to see Dust N' Bones and his vocals as well.

I agree. Say what you want, but Axl deserves credit. He built and rebuilt GNR as a band, a brand, and a legacy. I think GNR as a musical entity owes 75% to Axl as protagonist.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

I agree. Say what you want, but Axl deserves credit. He built and rebuilt GNR as a band, a brand, and a legacy. I think GNR as a musical entity owes 75% to Axl as protagonist.

lol... All he did was screw up Gn'R's legacy once he took over.. The Majority consider NuGuns a joke.. He was never able to successfully rebuild Gn'R... How many different members have been in the band since 96? Too many to count and keep track of. Axl is largely responsible for the breakup of the original band and the reason their Legacy won't be as great as it could have or should have been.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

Axl has dedicated his whole life to his only baby: Gn'R. He's due much more than that to me, whether I agree with his choices for the "band" or not. 

On March 15, 2016 at 9:47 AM, dalsh327 said:

In 1995, there was a flat out refusal to work on each others music because they couldn't deal with each other, and it turned into a stalemate. 

A new greatest hits.... I don't see why not, but it'll be what the band wants out there. Maybe we get a new Welcome to the Videos on Blu Ray and in 5.1 with the documentaries, because that was just a lazy VHS transfer. They could probably do commentary on it and goof on themselves. It's So Easy gets added and maybe even new videos just for the DVD. It could be a mix of screen films and live footage. 

The back catalog is probably going to be remastered for 24 bit. People can say it doesn't need it, but we're not Universal who wants the back catalog to keep bringing money in, and Axl might not like the quality of the downloads that are out there on Amazon and iTunes. 

Alternate versions,demos, live shows in the archives, rare footage - that's what people want to know as much as whether or not there's a new studio album. Welcome to the Videos and the official live UYI on DVD weren't band approved. 

They have a lot of loose ends to tie up, so hopefully the next decade will see most of it coming our way. 

That's all true. 

But you left out the most important part. Axl Rose and GnR had released one studio album or original material in the last 25 years. 

This band simply has to release new music before they start giving us updated versions of 30 year old songs. 

A new song is a MILLION times more important than a higher quality version of Mr Brownstone on ITunes. 

It is a shame that Axl became the type of musician that he use to hate and bash. 

43 minutes ago, trqster said:

Axl has dedicated his whole life to his only baby: Gn'R. He's due much more than that to me, whether I agree with his choices for the "band" or not. 

Lol. How hard it is to put a band together, release one album in 20 years, and tour songs that a different band made famous 25-30 years ago?

Axl kept the GnR name as it would always afford him money and publicity.  When Cobain died, Groghl didn't just get a new singer and continue playing Teen Spirit with a new singer. He formed a new band an it became huge. 

Van Halen lost their singer. Got a new one. Went the opposite route of Axl and released several albums and were financially and more chart successful than before. David Lee Roth hired a new band and put out a couple kick ass albums. Ac/dc lost their singer. And put out numerous albums that kicked ass. 

What did Axl do? Kept the name. Released one album in 20 years. Still making money off of an album released in 1987. 

Axl is my favorite rock singer of all time. But to praise him for the past 20 years is pure fanboyism at its best. How about this scenario. In 1999 Axl forms a band called WAR. He hires bucket/Fink/brain/stintson and they release five albums over the past 16 years. Experimental songs like Shacklers, cool rock songs like Better, old school GnR songs like the blues, twat and Madagascar. How's that stack up against one album in 25 years and cash-grab tours every couple of years. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Apollo said:

That's all true. 

But you left out the most important part. Axl Rose and GnR had released one studio album or original material in the last 25 years. 

This band simply has to release new music before they start giving us updated versions of 30 year old songs. 

A new song is a MILLION times more important than a higher quality version of Mr Brownstone on ITunes. 

It is a shame that Axl became the type of musician that he use to hate and bash. 

Edited by dalsh327
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Apollo said:

Lol. How hard it is to put a band together, release one album in 20 years, and tour songs that a different band made famous 25-30 years ago?

Axl kept the GnR name as it would always afford him money and publicity.  When Cobain died, Groghl didn't just get a new singer and continue playing Teen Spirit with a new singer. He formed a new band an it became huge. 

Van Halen lost their singer. Got a new one. Went the opposite route of Axl and released several albums and were financially and more chart successful than before. David Lee Roth hired a new band and put out a couple kick ass albums. Ac/dc lost their singer. And put out numerous albums that kicked ass. 

What did Axl do? Kept the name. Released one album in 20 years. Still making money off of an album released in 1987. 

Axl is my favorite rock singer of all time. But to praise him for the past 20 years is pure fanboyism at its best. How about this scenario. In 1999 Axl forms a band called WAR. He hires bucket/Fink/brain/stintson and they release five albums over the past 16 years. Experimental songs like Shacklers, cool rock songs like Better, old school GnR songs like the blues, twat and Madagascar. How's that stack up against one album in 25 years and cash-grab tours every couple of years. 

I think this is just about the most perfect analogy I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

Gun's is a working machine. The fact that Guns still exists is a miracle & we do have Axl to thank for that, he has done everything in his power (right or wrong) to ensure that Guns never bit the dust. Yes we have had some questionable members over the years but the fact that we still have a band in existence is nothing short of amazing.

More reasons exist for Axl to end Guns than to continue & I trust that money aside, there is still a passion to rock & roll & a belief that he still kicks ass.

nuff said.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

lol... All he did was screw up Gn'R's legacy once he took over.. The Majority consider NuGuns a joke.. He was never able to successfully rebuild Gn'R... How many different members have been in the band since 96? Too many to count and keep track of. Axl is largely responsible for the breakup of the original band and the reason their Legacy won't be as great as it could have or should have been.

Maybe it is that Izzy would get paid like Fortus/Frank. The partnership is Axl/Slash/Duff. 

Maybe Fortus/Frank are on the new record and so it makes sense in that way. And say it's a 3 way split on the final 25%. Then Izzy wanting the same as Slash or Duff just isn't going to happen business wise. 

It's about work rate really. Not the creative side which Izzy wins hands down. I mean Izzy has songs like River. Is that cover because it sounds like a classic?

anyway it's not a reunion...yet. 

Maybe if Axl gets this next record out then we'll see them do a new record. 

Maybe it will be the og five in Vegas. The drum says otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Maybe it is that Izzy would get paid like Fortus/Frank. The partnership is Axl/Slash/Duff. 

Maybe Fortus/Frank are on the new record and so it makes sense in that way. And say it's a 3 way split on the final 25%. Then Izzy wanting the same as Slash or Duff just isn't going to happen business wise. 

It's about work rate really. Not the creative side which Izzy wins hands down. I mean Izzy has songs like River. Is that cover because it sounds like a classic?

anyway it's not a reunion...yet. 

Maybe if Axl gets this next record out then we'll see them do a new record. 

Maybe it will be the og five in Vegas. The drum says otherwise. 

I think the drum does summarise this now. Nothing is concrete but it's making sense. 2016 line-up as per drum with potential guests spots in future for others. Maybe Coachella was always going to be that line-up & they added vegas for guest spot availability of izzy/steven. Funny Matt & Steven haven't weighed in on any of this yet like izzy.

1 hour ago, NOVEMBER COMA said:

I think the drum does summarise this now. Nothing is concrete but it's making sense. 2016 line-up as per drum with potential guests spots in future for others. Maybe Coachella was always going to be that line-up & they added vegas for guest spot availability of izzy/steven. Funny Matt & Steven haven't weighed in on any of this yet like izzy.

Maybe Steven has some guest spot so he's happy. Matt isn't that bothered. Izzy chose to be out in 91. He didn't want a pay cut back then...guest spot. 

But who knows if they all go to Vegas how won't they get pushed on stage? It's Izzy's birthday for the love of Charlie. 

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:06 AM, wasted said:

I think Spag Inc is there most relevant album right now. Bands like Green Day and My Chemical Romance owe their careers to Spag Incident. 

Rock or Bust meets Spaghetti Incident.

Spaghetti or Bust. 

Man, that's laser on. I never thought of it that way before. Green Day has been aping that kind of thing since the start.

21 hours ago, Apollo said:

But most bands do that. Not all but some do. Play the hits. So that's not really a reason to be critical of Axl. 

Axl has admitted he kept the name partly because of money. It's kind what he thought he deserved. Out of the carnage of GNR he got to keep the name. Plenty of other bands have various line ups etc. Things pan out differently for different bands. Some hate Van Hagar. I'd take CD over the whole FF discography. We can't really decide for others what they do. If you are going to criticise then it has to be in context. With Axl we aren't sure if he's on the up and up. 

Again the 1 album in 20 years is a bit much. They didn't really get going until 98? They had a record in 99. Again we need context to judge. It's not always clear but we can sort of say the name weighed heavy. The knives were out for Axl. He stole the name? He ruined GNR? But did he? 

The last point is fair enough. More albums is better if they are all awesome. But Axl,to simplfy, decided what he had wasn't ready. I agree that its possible records in 99, 2000, 2004 were possibly good enough. But we don't know that there was more than 30 awesome songs like Shacklers/Better/Madagascar. But in the final analysis I respect the artist process. There's a tendency for rock and metal bands to be on a conveyor belt. Because of that they never get a chance to develop much past 4x4 rock or whatever. Axl took some extra time on UYI, maybe it went too far with CD but I think it's well intended. 

Edited by wasted
Typos
  • Like 2

On 17.3.2016 at 0:51 PM, wasted said:

But most bands do that. Not all but some do. Play the hits. So that's not really a reason to be critical of Axl. 

Axl has admitted he kept the name partly because of money. It's kind what he thought he deserved. Out of the carnage of GNR he got to keep the name. Plenty of other bands have various line ups etc. Things pan out differently for different bands. Some hate Van Hagar. I'd take CD over the whole FF discography. We can't really decide for others what they do. If you are going to criticise then it has to be in context. With Axl we aren't sure if he's on the up and up. 

Again the 1 album in 20 years is a bit much. They didn't really get going until 98? They had a record in 99. Again we need context to judge. It's not always clear but we can sort of say the name weighed heavy. The knives were out for Axl. He stole the name? He ruined GNR? But did he? 

The last point is fair enough. More albums is better if they are all awesome. But Axl,to simplfy, decided what he had wasn't ready. I agree that its possible records in 99, 2000, 2004 were possibly good enough. But we don't know that there was more than 30 awesome songs like Shacklers/Better/Madagascar. But in the final analysis I respect the artist process. There's a tendency for rock and metal bands to be on a conveyor belt. Because of that they never get a chance to develop much past 4x4 rock or whatever. Axl took some extra time on UYI, maybe it went too far with CD but I think it's well intended. 

Axl said that people want to hear Appetite so why not give it to them and of course he must play it if he wants to make the most money.

I respect his artistic standards. Brian May described him after working with him in the studio as being "utterly meticulous". Chinese could have had a much bigger commercial impact, but the process of it's creation influenced the way it sounds.

The fuck ups and Axl's delays made it possible for people like Bucket to be associated with it and I feel that it added to the whole vibe of it and improved the album. It's just one example of how Axl's way of doing things while totally inefficient and costly if it's money or wasted talent, in the end he delivered an album that he said was 100% what he wanted it to be.

Everything Axl did or didn't do could be accepted if you do not judge him like you would other artists just cause he's crazy and the circumstances are unique with how everything went to shit.

But the Chinese approach throws out the window things like time restraints, organic and consistent takes like he copy/pasted most of the guitar solos according to Bumble. Someone did in the studio at least.

It led to a great album imo, and to killer shows but even the scenario we are in now, a reformation of a uyi type line up with only "half" an album from the Chinese era shows the limitations of taking your sweet time if you're a musician. People leave, styles change, and you just fuckin' get old. I guess it was a lot of legal bullshit as well, but many other bands, huge bands, somehow managed to release albums.

The cool thing is that when I listen to Chinese I always think it's a good thing it exists at all and got released cause there needs to be at least one album like that. It would have felt much better if Axl got a chance to release the rest of it and tour it before Slash and Duff came back in a way, but it's better than nothing and maybe Axl will release a reworked CD ll with Slash and Duff featured on it or at least use some of the vault material.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, wasted said:

Maybe Steven has some guest spot so he's happy. Matt isn't that bothered. Izzy chose to be out in 91. He didn't want a pay cut back then...guest spot. 

But who knows if they all go to Vegas how won't they get pushed on stage? It's Izzy's birthday for the love of Charlie. 

Wow!!, Yes, 8th April. Big coincidence! Didn't know that was his bday. They could open with "He's a jolly good fellow" lol. This is a good chance he will guest. Just don't know why he would say no on social media.