I wonder if Axl is saving Izzy and Steven for the 30th anniversary of AFD

That anniversary is right around the corner.  This gives Axl, Slash, and Duff a few years to prove they can play together and make new songs (maybe finish some existing songs that just have never been quite ready for release) without self destructing.  If Izzy sees this, he might feel reassured about performing and recording with the guys again.  Dangling this carrot in front of Steven can be good motivation to help him stay sober for a few more years.  It also saves something for the 30th anniversary of AFD.

We could get that new rumored greatest hits album featuring 3-4 new tracks this year or next year, followed by maybe a final GN'R album for the AFD 30th anniversary that features Izzy's involvement and Steven's drumming.

It could be total wishful thinking as well.  Mods, if this should go in an existing Izzy/Steven thread, I understand if it's moved or deleted.

• Like 1

I think it's possible. I view it more like the kiss '96 reunion. Remember when Kiss did that acoustic show before the reunion tour? They brought out ace and Peter for part of the acoustic set and the reaction was incredible. People went ballistic. So keeping Adler and Izzy to only guest spots might work out.

Imagine being at a show on the upcoming tour, then fortus and Frank step aside for Izzy and Adler. As long as the fans go crazy, which they probably will, then that would confirm to axl slash and duff that a 30th anniversary tour is needed in 2017. Like it was with kiss, it was no disrespect to singer or Thayer but the crowd wanted ace and Peter more. I think it's incredibly possible they could do it that way. 

• Like 1

I would guess that Axl and the rest of the guys would welcome Izzy and Steven to join them on select dates for a 30th anniversary tour of AFD, but I just can't see all 5 ever making another record again. I think those 5 guys managed to make one great album, and thats good enough; leave well enough alone.

Would be happy to see Izzy contribute to a new record in some capacity. IMO you can't do a new GNR record with Slash and Duff included and not include Izzy... not saying I wouldn't listen to it, but that means almost nothing as I'd listen to just about anything that GnR released at this stage! 

• Like 1

They contributed, then they left (one of them fired) there's no reason for them to be there if they're not invited by the rest of the band or to be forced to go if they don't feel like going. If anything Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven have the right to do as they please with their lives. No reason to say "x guy should be there" when they all made their decisions that got them in and out of the project under their own will. 

Not sure if 'saving' is the proper term.  It could have started as them (Axl, Slash, Duff) seeing how a few shows worked out, maybe having some guest appearances and then going from there...including a full blown reunion next year for AFD 30th anniversary. 

• Like 1

I don't think Izzy has much time for the likes of November Rain and Estranged and Steven doesn't belong on them. So, yeah, this year we get the career-spanning setlist with the hybrid line-up and next year we get AFD album shows with the classic five. Because if they put eight or more AFD tracks in the sets this year (which they will) it makes playing AFD on its own next year a lesser experience - unless those are the only shows with Izzy and Steven...

That would be awesome. Not sure about Izzy though. He seems to just do what he wants when he wants.

Steven I'm sure would do any shows if given the chance.

It would be nice if there were a few shows with the 5 originals members and then it should be recorded.

guess once the first few shows get going, we'll hear more news. At least I hope so.

1 hour ago, Chris 55 said:

"Nooooo!!! You guys can't play yet! Play next year! It'll mean more then! Right now it's just us 3! You guys go away!"

-Axl

OR "You know Axl, I love you guys but you know how less can be more when we're all together.  I know you're going to do want to do things next year for the big 30th anniversary of AFD.  You care if I just show a up a bit then rather than doing this year on top of next year as well?  I just don't think I want to be at all of these things and the anniversary year might be a better fit for me"

Sounds more than reasonable to me.

3 hours ago, AlterL said:

They contributed, then they left (one of them fired) there's no reason for them to be there if they're not invited by the rest of the band or to be forced to go if they don't feel like going. If anything Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven have the right to do as they please with their lives. No reason to say "x guy should be there" when they all made their decisions that got them in and out of the project under their own will. 

Slash and Duff also left the band if you recall...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

OR "You know Axl, I love you guys but you know how less can be more when we're all together.  I know you're going to do want to do things next year for the big 30th anniversary of AFD.  You care if I just show a up a bit then rather than doing this year on top of next year as well?  I just don't think I want to be at all of these things and the anniversary year might be a better fit for me"

Sounds more than reasonable to me.

Nah.

I posted this yesterday in the Izzy Out thread Were thinking along the same lines.

AFD 30 is an interesting scenario, perhaps it makes more sense to Izzy. Who cares if they all come together for a nostalga trip, that's what an anniversary is all about.

Steven we hope would have another years sobriety and good behaviour under his belt. Axl, Slash and Duff already going out on the road and selling out shows would hush potential backers wondering if a) GNR is still relevant, b) Slaxl can deliver the goods. if the big three are successful wouldnt a full reunion be able to pick and choose what venue, festival they want or at least have more leverage.

I wonder If this is the intention all along, if so would all the people forking out now for Vegas do it again next year for a full line up?

Would it be dicking the fans, many have said this is a money grab, so would potentially a full line up in the future be money grab 2. ?

Izzy watches this out for now let s some of the heat die down over  Axl and Slash sharing a stage. He and Steven step up next year.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I posted this yesterday in the Izzy Out thread Were thinking along the same lines.

AFD 30 is an interesting scenario, perhaps it makes more sense to Izzy. Who cares if they all come together for a nostalga trip, that's what an anniversary is all about.

Steven we hope would have another years sobriety and good behaviour under his belt. Axl, Slash and Duff already going out on the road and selling out shows would hush potential backers wondering if a) GNR is still relevant, b) Slaxl can deliver the goods. if the big three are successful wouldnt a full reunion be able to pick and choose what venue, festival they want or at least have more leverage.

I wonder If this is the intention all along, if so would all the people forking out now for Vegas do it again next year for a full line up?

Would it be dicking the fans, many have said this is a money grab, so would potentially a full line up in the future be money grab 2. ?

Izzy watches this out for now let s some of the heat die down over  Axl and Slash sharing a stage. He and Steven step up next year.

Yeah, exactly

• Like 1

I think Judment Day is now over, and we will have everything we wanted. Welcome to paradise. Legendary statut and tremendous rebrand, reunion concerts, cd songs, new songs and everything in between. GNR want to sell a shitload of tshirts and cds for th rest of time.

I thought that as well, at least a 30th Appetite For Destruction reunion, if this "reunion" is going to go well I can definitely see them having an Arena tour the following year of playing Appetite from Start to Finish which would be awesome

4 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

I don't think Izzy has much time for the likes of November Rain and Estranged and Steven doesn't belong on them. So, yeah, this year we get the career-spanning setlist with the hybrid line-up and next year we get AFD album shows with the classic five. Because if they put eight or more AFD tracks in the sets this year (which they will) it makes playing AFD on its own next year a lesser experience - unless those are the only shows with Izzy and Steven...

Steven needs to fucking practice and go for drum lessons and beast it with a double kick set like he was a couple years back and Izzy needs to not be so fuckin punk rock all the time.  Not to mention his work on November Rain is massively underrated - definitely some of his best softer playing.