Sound Like Guns N' Roses - Without Busting The Bank [VID]

Hi folks!

The blokes at Anderton's TV uploaded this yesterday, thought some of you may find it interesting.

Not really sure why they say 'without busting the bank' as they always manage to spend a small fortune in these videos!! Sounds good tho. ;)

If you play the epiphone and then a Gibson les paul after that you will hear a major difference.

I guess you can sound kinda like it but nothing hammers out these tunes like Gibson

Save up for a Gibson IMO

Edited by gunsguy

Well yes talent always helps, but the vid is about emulating the tone (and effects) from Appetite era, rather than the playing per se. 

They've done quite a few other 'sound likes' so good to see a GN'R one.  Dicking around in a music shop= good work if ya can get it!   

50 minutes ago, Yowza! said:

Well yes talent always helps, but the vid is about emulating the tone (and effects) from Appetite era, rather than the playing per se. 

They've done quite a few other 'sound likes' so good to see a GN'R one.  Dicking around in a music shop= good work if ya can get it!   

But it's kinda silly cause they didn't emulate the tone and how can they even cover the technical side of it without the right gear? cause it's pointless when you try to achieve that sound with not Slash's fingers and not Izzy's digits, and not Guns N' Roses amps and guitars.

The clip could have been 30 seconds long letting the kids know what Slash and Izzy used and that they'll never sound like that and if they don't want to sound like them anyway, that's a good sign. Even if you just want to nail the tone the clip is useless imo.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Tone chasing is a waste of time. Even Slash can't properly get his appetite tone and that is after Marshall designed an amp for that purpose. If Slash and Marshall can't do it, there is not much chance that anyone else can. 

True that right there proves you are chasing a red herring.  It will not happen.

Play for you, as you!

2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Tone chasing is a waste of time. Even Slash can't properly get his appetite tone and that is after Marshall designed an amp for that purpose. If Slash and Marshall can't do it, there is not much chance that anyone else can. 

I think they nailed some of the tones really well, under the circumstances.

Tone chasing isn't a waste of time. Much like ppl learning AFD note for note, isn't so much a waste of time, if gets them where they want to go when playing their own way. I learnt lots as a kid dicking around with gear trying to get sounds like various artists, that when it came to evolving tones I like i can dial them in easier and am heavily influenced by those early periods.

You do always end up sounding like yourself tho. I'd imagine Slash would sound a lot more Slash if it was him playing on the rig from the video. Ignoring that aspect, they've done a pretty good job imo and the geek in me would be keen to see them trial and error all the stuff as they try get to where they got.

• Like 2

Chasing your own tone is not a waste of time at all and I think it is hardwired into every guitarist in the same way that GAS is.

Personally, I can see how dialing in "recommended" settings can help people in some way when figuring out their own sound, but the whole "sound like xxxxxx" thing seems futile to me when what makes a guitarist sound the way they do is largely their fingers.

Better to put all the controls to 12 o'clock and tweak until it sounds cool IMO.

Every amp, even from the same exact brand and model is different. Every guitar. Fingers especially.

Why do you think Slash's Les Paul replica is priceless to Slash? or the guitar he doesn't have anymore, the goldtop which he played The Godfather theme with in Tokyo 92 with the epic sustain?

Or the amp which he recorded Appetite with and some fool gave it back.

But even with Slash's gear, no one can do what Slash does, and even without his gear and with a fuckin' strat he'll still manage to sound more like himself than anyone else.

Chasing tone leads to evolution of sound, more varied approach, and it changes the way you compose when you have a cool sound to play with.

Playing covers, when you play the guitar solo for yourself or a riff, that develops your vocabulary as a guitar player. Chasing tones of other people is not something I'm personally interested in, but I guess I can understand why others will attempt it.

Edited by Rovim

19 hours ago, Rovim said:

But it's kinda silly cause they didn't emulate the tone and how can they even cover the technical side of it without the right gear? cause it's pointless when you try to achieve that sound with not Slash's fingers and not Izzy's digits, and not Guns N' Roses amps and guitars.

The clip could have been 30 seconds long letting the kids know what Slash and Izzy used and that they'll never sound like that and if they don't want to sound like them anyway, that's a good sign. Even if you just want to nail the tone the clip is useless imo.

Haha okay, I see what you're getting at.

Tbh, I'm not defending them- I simply saw the vid and went 'I'll post it on MyGNR -file under vaguely interesting. etc'. Didn't think it would serve to annoy people quite so much.  

I actually stumbled on their channel as I'm looking into getting a new bass, watched a few vids and to a certain extent think they're 'Gear-snobs' (but working in a music shop, they need to know their shit so it's fair enough)

A lot of their content is the narcissism of minimal differences, yet at the same time in the day and age of buying online it's useful to see products being put through their paces.

As I mentioned in the OP too, their idea of a low budget for a starting guitarist seems to be ~£2000-3000 which may even put youngsters/beginners off.  (A ploy to upsell, methinks)

I mean, you can get a guitar and amp for <£100 each these days and as people have said, it's not the tools, it's how you use them! 

But anyway, back to the vid, I just thought Sweet Child and jungle sounded pretty cool (if not a bit digital sounding) and was good seeing a Talk box in action.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yowza! said:

Haha okay, I see what you're getting at.

Tbh, I'm not defending them- I simply saw the vid and went 'I'll post it on MyGNR -file under vaguely interesting. etc'. Didn't think it would serve to annoy people quite so much.  

I actually stumbled on their channel as I'm looking into getting a new bass, watched a few vids and to a certain extent think they're 'Gear-snobs' (but working in a music shop, they need to know their shit so it's fair enough)

A lot of their content is the narcissism of minimal differences, yet at the same time in the day and age of buying online it's useful to see products being put through their paces.

As I mentioned in the OP too, their idea of a low budget for a starting guitarist seems to be ~£2000-3000 which may even put youngsters/beginners off.  (A ploy to upsell, methinks)

I mean, you can get a guitar and amp for <£100 each these days and as people have said, it's not the tools, it's how you use them! 

But anyway, back to the vid, I just thought Sweet Child and jungle sounded pretty cool (if not a bit digital sounding) and was good seeing a Talk box in action.:thumbsup:

I'm not annoyed. I like their videos. Just not this specific segment. I prefer the other 2 dudes. One of them can actually play the instrument, which is always a plus. I saw that video before you posted it actually, but as expected, it was pointless.

On 3/10/2016 at 7:17 AM, gunsguy said:

If you play the epiphone and then a Gibson les paul after that you will hear a major difference.

I guess you can sound kinda like it but nothing hammers out these tunes like Gibson

Save up for a Gibson IMO

I had an older 80s metal guy try to tell me they weren't worth it. 

Oh yes they are.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, moreblack said:

I had an older 80s metal guy try to tell me they weren't worth it. 

Oh yes they are.

They are...  I do not own one yet...  My boy is learning guitar by himself by his ear we went to a guitar store and tried various things and watch alot of videos.  The Gibson's are worth it in every way.  Mind my son isnt trying to sound like anyone so that helps, the difference between the epiphone and the Gibson was night and day everytime. 

Needless to say if he continues to have interest in the guitar we will buy him a Gibson.  Right now he is using my 30 year old Fender Strat I redid strings, straplocks, adjusted it and it works great but he has his heart set on a Gibson

Just watched it again. That Matt bloke is clearly a really big GN'R fan, calling them (arguably) the best band in the world etc. 

Welcome to the Jungle sounds badass, let's hope there's sound quality like that from these next few gigs.

#AWOOGA   

A musical instrument is a very unique thing, you don't just get the same tone just plugging the fucker into the right equipment, it depends on how it's been kept, knocks and dings it's taken, the place it was recorded it, the way in which that specific person fretted those chords at that time, it's even a lot to do with how the person was feeling at that time and how the effected the way they were playing.  Musical instruments are a weird thing, you could a Stradivarius violin and be in a concert hall and know a piece off by heart and still not sound like someone playing the same violin in the same concert hall 30 years earlier.

I think they did really well and got pretty close to getting the Appetite sound. That album is THE reason i wanted to play the guitar and whenever i listen to it i want to pick up the axe to this day. I remember being completely fascinated as a kid by both Izzy and Slashs playing on the album. I think what was so interesting, because obviously a twin guitar attack had been done before, was that they played the same song in such a different way but yet sounded so in sync with each other.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2016 at 11:15 AM, Rovim said:

I'm not annoyed. I like their videos. Just not this specific segment. I prefer the other 2 dudes. One of them can actually play the instrument, which is always a plus. I saw that video before you posted it actually, but as expected, it was pointless.

They can all play the instrument. The Captain is becoming a good player.