Gilby Clarke interview regarding reunion

19 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, I suppose I must give credit to a guy who didn't move a finger to create those amazing albums, yet he got to enjoy all of the perks that came with that tour. Impressive! Some people are very lucky and others are just not touched by the magic of easy money.

What amazing albums did Fortus work on?

Hypocrisy. If Gilby plays rhythm guitar on GN'R's biggest ever world tour, playing to millions worldwide, he is ''lucky'' and enjoying ''the perks''. If Fortus plays Appetite to a bunch of Vegas tourists and Brazilians he is this 'supremely talented guitarist'' you guys seem to think he is.

• Like 3

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Hypocrisy. If Gilby plays rhythm guitar on GN'R's biggest ever world tour, playing to millions worldwide, he is ''lucky'' and enjoying ''the perks''. If Fortus plays Appetite to a bunch of Vegas tourists and Brazilians he is this 'supremely talented guitarist'' you guys seem to think he is.

I think most people who say that Richard is a better guitar player than Gilby isn't going by number of solo records released, no of shows played, attendance no of the bands they happened to be in, etc, but bases it on actual playing skills :D Gilby may very well be a more popular artist than Richard, may very well have happened to be part of a larger lineup than Richard, but again, we are, well, at least I am, talking about proficiency at their instruments.

I find it endlessly perplexing how often you confuse things like subjective/objective, skilled/popular, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I think most people who say that Richard is a better guitar player than Gilby isn't going by number of solo records released, no of shows played, attendance no of the bands they happened to be in, etc, but bases it on actual playing skills :D Gilby may very well be a more popular artist than Richard, may very well have happened to be part of a larger lineup than Richard, but again, we are, well, at least I am, talking about proficiency at their instruments.

I find it endlessly perplexing how often you confuse things like subjective/objective, skilled/popular, etc.

I've never heard this great guitar playing from Fortus though, that is significantly superior to Clarke's - understand it is the rhythm position that is being filled, not lead.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I've never heard this great guitar playing from Fortus though, that is significantly superior to Clarke's - understand it is the rhythm position that is being filled, not lead.

We know this, you have said it before. I can't help you recognize talent. Sorry. If you don't realize what is evident to everyone with more than the most rudimentary guitar skills, that Richard is vastly superior to Gilby both when it come to rhyth and to lead, then I can't help you. That is why Gilby keeps on playing within his rather limited box while Richard is a sought after session player able to play almost any styles. Again, you might prefer what Gilby does --all good -- but as far as technical ability, speed, range, picking technique, rhythm, Richard is the better player. And, as I said before, as humble and down-to-earth Gilby is, I am sure he would be the first to acknowledge this.

What I fear you are doing is liking Gilby so much (or maybe despising Richard or anything related to "nuGuns") that it overrides your ability to consider things objectivelly. You do that a lot.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Where is the hypocrisy? The problem you have is that you are twisting and mixing different topics and assuming things about others, just to make a point you're failing to make because you're following a flawed logic.

Let's try it again and this is the last time I talk about this:

DISCLAIMER - This is my OPINION. I'm perfectly fine with other people not agreeing with me and never understanding why I feel this way.

FACTS:

1) Gilby Clarke toured with Guns N' Roses during the UYI tour, participated of music videos, played guitar in the covers album "The Spaghetti Incident", did a solo album that featured Axl Rose as the backing vocals of a Rolling Stones cover song.

2) Richard Fortus joined Guns N' Roses in 2001, played guitar in some tracks of the album "Chinese Democracy". Since then, he's been involved with Guns N' Roses, mostly joining the different tours to promote Chinese Democracy, before and after its release. The band that promoted CD around the world have played in Europe, Asia, Southamerica and Northamerica in several occassions.

3) Do we all understand that none of these guys WROTE a single significant note, lyric for ANY GN'R album? OK, we do.

4) Gilby Clarke and Richard Fortus are both replacements for rythm guitar position, although Fortus have also played lead guitar parts.

5) Gilby Clarke and Richard Fortus have clearly enjoyed the perks of being hired by a multimillionaire rock n' roll band. Clarke was lucky to join GN'R when they were at the peak of their fame and success. A success that was mainly achieved by the sales of albums "Appetite For Destruction", "Lies" and "Use Your Illusion I & II". Fortus has also enjoyed the success of those albums, playing songs that are now considered classics and he's been on a payroll since 2002, which is the dream of any musician who actually wants to make a living off music. Very few people really make it that big. Props to both Richard and Gilby.

OPINION:

1) IN MY OPINION, Richard Fortus is a way better guitarist than Gilby Clarke. A better replacement if you want to be mean. Even Axl Rose (whose opinion shouldn't matter because who the fuck is he, anyway?) has a similar opinion regarding Fortus' playing:

He's an amazing lead player and very technically skilled. He really likes the pocket that Brain sets and the two of them click with Tommy so we finally have the real deal rhythm section, as Richard is a proven professional. Basically, Richard's the guy that we always were looking for.

2) Since Richard Fortus has not been fired and has been steadily working with Axl's latest incarnation of Guns N' Roses, and the owner of Guns N' Roses seems to be pretty comfortable with his work, why should a mediocre replacement guitarist (opinion) like Clarke, who was laid off in the 90s, be re-hired to be part of the 2016 regrouping of Guns N' Roses?

This would be like replacing my iPhone 6 with a Motorola one. Makes no fuckin' sense to me :shrugs:

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

what is evident to everyone with more than the most rudimentary guitar skills,

Are you questioning my guitar abilities? I'm considered quite the blues player!

Richard is a sought after session player able to play almost any styles.

Indeed, Britney Spears and NYSYNC. Gilby played with Nancy Sinatra and Heart. I would choose Gilby's session work before Richard's.

technical ability, speed, range, picking technique

All of this is irrelevant. If it was relevant, you should partner Slash up with Bumblefoot or Buckethead. Guns are a Stonesy rock n' roll band, and what is required is the ''Izzy role'', somebody who can play within the pocket, laying down punky-Stonesy rhythm and allowing Slash to do what Slash does, i.e. solo. Technique, speed and picking barely factor for this role.

They would if Guns were a technical band, like a metal or prog act, but they are not. You would not even have Slash in the band if Guns were a technical band. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, killuridols said:

This would be like replacing my iPhone 6 with a Motorola one. Makes no fuckin' sense to me :shrugs:

Then why not just replace all of Guns with technically better players. Axl's voice is shot - replace him. Slash is a feeling player - replace him with a speed merchant. I'm sure there are technically better players than Duff. How about Neil Peart for drums.

Bands are not just theoretical exercises, with which you chop and change members based on taste.

Unless they are supergroups of course.

Partnering Fortus with Slash is illogical. It holds no legitimacy and does not reunite, recreate, a prior line-up which is identifiable. It is untested, and for those who despise nugnr (me and others) a bit jarring. Same applies to having Frank there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Where is the hypocrisy? The problem you have is that you are twisting and mixing different topics and assuming things about others, just to make a point you're failing to make because you're following a flawed logic.

Let's try it again and this is the last time I talk about this:

DISCLAIMER - This is my OPINION. I'm perfectly fine with other people not agreeing with me and never understanding why I feel this way.

FACTS:

1) Gilby Clarke toured with Guns N' Roses during the UYI tour, participated of music videos, played guitar in the covers album "The Spaghetti Incident", did a solo album that featured Axl Rose as the backing vocals of a Rolling Stones cover song.

2) Richard Fortus joined Guns N' Roses in 2001, played guitar in some tracks of the album "Chinese Democracy". Since then, he's been involved with Guns N' Roses, mostly joining the different tours to promote Chinese Democracy, before and after its release. The band that promoted CD around the world have played in Europe, Asia, Southamerica and Northamerica in several occassions.

3) Do we all understand that none of these guys WROTE a single significant note, lyric for ANY GN'R album? OK, we do.

4) Gilby Clarke and Richard Fortus are both replacements for rythm guitar position, although Fortus have also played lead guitar parts.

5) Gilby Clarke and Richard Fortus have clearly enjoyed the perks of being hired by a multimillionaire rock n' roll band. Clarke was lucky to join GN'R when they were at the peak of their fame and success. A success that was mainly achieved by the sales of albums "Appetite For Destruction", "Lies" and "Use Your Illusion I & II". Fortus has also enjoyed the success of those albums, playing songs that are now considered classics and he's been on a payroll since 2001, which is the dream of any musician who actually wants to make a living off music. Very few people really make it that big. Props to both Richard and Gilby.

OPINION:

1) IN MY OPINION, Richard Fortus is a way better guitarist than Gilby Clarke. A better replacement if you want to be mean. Even Axl Rose (whose opinion shouldn't matter because who the fuck is he, anyway?) has a similar opinion regarding Fortus' playing:

2) Since Richard Fortus has not been fired and has been steadily working with Axl's latest incarnation of Guns N' Roses, and the owner of Guns N' Roses seems to be pretty comfortable with his work, why should a mediocre replacement guitarist (opinion) like Clarke, who was laid off in the 90s, be re-hired to be part of the 2016 regrouping of Guns N' Roses?

Richard Fortus joined Guns N' Roses in 2002 not 2001

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Then why not just replace all of Guns with technically better players. Axl's voice is shot - replace him. Slash is a feeling player - replace him with a speed merchant. I'm sure there are technically better players than Duff. How about Neil Peart for drums.

Bands are not just theoretical exercises, with which you chop and change members based on taste.

Unless they are supergroups of course.

Partnering Fortus with Slash is illogical. It holds no legitimacy and does not reunite, recreate, a prior line-up which is identifiable. It is untested, and for those who despise nugnr (me and others) a bit jarring. Same applies to having Frank there.

Slash wanted Fortus for his solo band so I guess Slash knows his shit better than you or me, doesn't he?

Do you think Slash would have accepted all of this if he didn't know, or at least sense, that he can play with a guitarist like Fortus? I think you are understimating the autonomy and intelligence of Slash and Duff.

When Slash didn't like a guitarist, say Paul Huge, he was pretty vocal about it and he even quit the millionaire gig because he wasn't ok with it. Decades later, Slash doesn't need any of this shit, so if he wouldn't feel ok with this deal then he wouldn't have accepted it. What is he, a 4 year-old? That's how you treat him. As if the guy didn't know shit about his own playing... Besides, Duff was there for several shows in 2014. He tested waters, he played full shows with Fortus and Ferrer, Duff KNOWS what is like to play with them and I have no doubts Duff has talked about it with Slash, told him how the guys are and all the gossip.

Slash and Duff are professional, long time musicians. They are rehearsing with the lineup that will play Vegas. If they weren't down to it they wouldn't do it. They are not amateur musicians.

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

No, those things didn't affect his performance in studio or on tour but turns out the guy got fired, so how do you explain a guy gets fired if he's such a perfect musician? Looks like you've got all the clues in the world.

I'm not your son, btw.

It's very well documented why he got fired and it didn't happen because of his skills.  Actually, there's an interview in 1990-1991 where Axl praised Sorum's skills and his performance on the UYI albums.  It is also a common opinion within Gn'R fans that his playing on TSI? is stellar.

Weird that you don't remember this when you claim that you started following this band when Sorum was in.  Very weird, son.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Indeed, Britney Spears and NYSYNC. Gilby played with Nancy Sinatra and Heart. I would choose Gilby's session work before Richard's.

All of this is irrelevant. If it was relevant, you should partner Slash up with Bumblefoot or Buckethead. Guns are a Stonesy rock n' roll band, and what is required is the ''Izzy role'', somebodywho can play within the pocket, laying down punky-Stonesy rhythm and allowing Slash to do what Slash does, i.e. solo. Technique, speed and picking barely factor for this role.

Exactly, that's why I always liken Fortus (and Izzy) to Ronnie Wood. Guns is like Stones on a grey-legal area industrial edged supplement.

5 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

It's very well documented why he got fired and it didn't happen because of his skills.  Actually, there's an interview in 1990-1991 where Axl praised Sorum's skills and his performance on the UYI albums.  It is also a common opinion within Gn'R fans that his playing on TSI? is stellar.

Weird that you don't remember this when you claim that you started following this band when Sorum was in.  Very weird, son.

I DO know why Sorum was fired. My question was sarcastic. I'm sorry you didn't get it, papa.

35 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Slash wanted Fortus for his solo band so I guess Slash knows his shit better than you or me, doesn't he?

Do you think Slash would have accepted all of this if he didn't know, or at least sense, that he can play with a guitarist like Fortus? I think you are understimating the autonomy and intelligence of Slash and Duff.

When Slash didn't like a guitarist, say Paul Huge, he was pretty vocal about it and he even quit the millionaire gig because he wasn't ok with it. Decades later, Slash doesn't need any of this shit, so if he wouldn't feel ok with this deal then he wouldn't have accepted it. What is he, a 4 year-old? That's how you treat him. As if the guy didn't know shit about his own playing... Besides, Duff was there for several shows in 2014. He tested waters, he played full shows with Fortus and Ferrer, Duff KNOWS what is like to play with them and I have no doubts Duff has talked about it with Slash, told him how the guys are and all the gossip.

Slash and Duff are professional, long time musicians. They are rehearsing with the lineup that will play Vegas. If they weren't down to it they wouldn't do it. They are not amateur musicians.

But this is merely your assessment of Slash and Duff's (apparent) acceptance of Fortus. I'm perfectly in my rights to prefer Gilby, desiring something more genuine from a 'reunion' than a weird hybrid mish-mash fusion of old band greats and ad hoc Axlite hirelings.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But this is merely your assessment of Slash and Duff's (apparent) acceptance of Fortus. I'm perfectly in my rights to prefer Gilby, desiring something more genuine from a 'reunion' than a weird hybrid mish-mash fusion of old band greats and ad hoc Axlite hirelings.

Neil Young has toured and recorded with dozens of different configurations.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I really don't know if this is my assessment of things. Maybe music groups do not operate like regular companies and they do not sign contracts, even if there are millions of dollars in the middle. Who knows? Maybe that world is like that, free of contracts, accountants, lawyers, you know... Never been the member of a millionaire rock band. What the hell I know? :shrugs:

All of this is irrelevant. If it was relevant, you should partner Slash up with Bumblefoot or Buckethead. Guns are a Stonesy rock n' roll band, and what is required is the ''Izzy role'', somebody who can play within the pocket, laying down punky-Stonesy rhythm and allowing Slash to do what Slash does, i.e. solo. Technique, speed and picking barely factor for this role.

They would if Guns were a technical band, like a metal or prog act, but they are not. You would not even have Slash in the band if Guns were a technical band. 

You are moving the goal posts, something you are apt to do. We are not talking about who fits the most with GN'R, which is an entirely subjective thing dependent upon what type of GN'R music you prefer from the sleaze of early days to technically complex of later days, but who is the best guitar player. The argument being that Richard is preferable to Gilby because he not only can play the same old school rock guitar that Gilby plays, but also play addtional things and hence contribute to the entire catalogue of GN'R.

Which is an argument for why Richard shouldn't be replaced by Gilby now.

But even if we take your argument seriously, Gilby too was a replacement. The question then is who is the better replacement. You like Gilby, now with the possible explanation, in additional to your conservative almost backwards nature, that, like you, he is a decent blues guitar player, while others like Richard because he is all that and so very much more.

3 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Boy this thread really went nowhere. Those that really liked Gilby still like Gilby and those that really hated him still hate him. Shocker.

Who hates Gilby? If anyone in this thread has expressed disdain for anyone and anything it is people who are against nuGuns and Richard.

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Lol. The way people think on this forum never ceases to amaze. Don't worry tho DD. As soon as Fortus gets fired or quotes, those same people will claim they never liked the guy. 

Luckily you not only have Soulmonster here to tell you how/why to form an opinion, he is also here to educated you on what is right or wrong. He believes that Fortus is a better player. Hence - everybody else must feel the same way. Anybody who disagrees is just  not being logical. 

DD - stop having your own opinions. Just follow and agree with everything SM says.  Smh. 

Edited by Apollo

Just now, Apollo said:

Lol. The way people think on this forum never ceases to amaze. Don't worry tho DD. As soon as Fortus gets fired or quotes, those same people will claim they never liked the guy. 

Lol. The way people DON'T think on this forum never ceases to amaze me. The whole notion that fans tend to fliflop on opinions in relation to band members and ex-members, is a fallacy born from a desire to simplify everything down to a state where it loses all detail and realism and where the fan bases is reduced to "us" and "them". Take the Pitman episode. Many fans have said they liked him before his Facebook outburst, OTHER fans came out and expressed they didn't like him aftar that episode. Very few actually flipflipped, and of those that did it, this was probably due to them actually learning more about him which affected their views negativelly. Of course, this is way too complicated for some here...

• Like 1