New Alan Niven interview

Digging your web design/layout! Refreshing change from the standard rock/metal pages where everything is black and with awful fonts like it's 1995.

To be fair to the management/promoters they've been careful to avoid the word "reunion", I think they used the word "reformed" which is a decent compromise.

And judging by Adler's silence in contast to Izzy he's still involved in some way.

Thanks man. Yeah I hope Adler comes out for a song or two. Would be wonderful to see all five on an encore or something at least for a couple of tracks.

Please 'Like' my page if any of you guys are on FB. I'm trying to drive up my numbers. I'm a working newspaper journo in Scotland branching out into my first love of rock n' roll so playing it all day by day at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Thanks for posting and Alan is right.

Im not complaining and I always wanted to see Slash and Axl together, but man you need all 5 of them to create that magic, those 5 together are the only Guns N' Roses. I would have been a crybaby if even 1 was missing whether it was Duff or Slash. 

Steven and Izzy have been healthy, they can really play. Don't give me that bullshit of Steven can't play a full show, I have seen him live and HE CAN. Check out his videos to believe. Izzy posted videos and well he is better than ever. 

I really don't know what happened behind the scenes but really it would be a big shame if Izzy and Steven were not even informed about the whole thing. I assume they will make special appearance, but "Special Appearance " in the band which they created? I see this as a business deal between the 3 of them. 

Niven is just butthurt because he is also left out from this cash cow (I'm not saying that his opinion is not legit)

• Like 3

I agree 100% with Alan. This chap represents my thoughts entirely.

I can only assume that its only for the money. How else to explain the lack of statements about creativity, or even who the band is? “How else to explain a ticket price of $1250 for row H.”

• Like 1

Well I can understand not including Adler on a full time basis knowing he's a loose canon, he's absolutely the 1 guy in this who probably should be part time until he can prove he can do it, then they could move him to full time.

Izzy on the other hand.. I agree with Niven. It's obvious he really wanted to be involved more and I'm surprised they booked gigs without him. 

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

I still believe Steven will be in Vegas

Hopefully they can work something out with Izzy in time

The only reason I see the possibility of steven in Vegas is the fact that he has not spoken to social media whereas Izzy has. I think Canter summed it up well when he said Izzy may have not been offered as he is an intermittent tourer. I could only see Steven ever doing a guest spot as most of us agree on this forum.  

It is pretty retarded to call the band "Velvet Roses" because Slash and Duff played in GNR waaay before Velvet Revolver was formed. That analogy makes no sense. Unless Mr. Niven believes VR happened before GNR?

Edited by Kenan

Lizzy Hale for AC/DC? nope! I'm sorry but outside of a guest spot position... for any singer! there is no replacing Brian. 36 years of commitment!? He's not to be thrown under the bus now! Much more respect if they scaled things back a bit more and worked things out properly with Brian. 

I'd imagine things are being worked on behind closed doors, but that remains to be seen.

As for GNR...

I don't agree with Nivens position. He's calling it a reunion. It's not a reunion, and it has never been advertised that way; outside of 2nd hand press. 

Yep, it would have been great to have Izzy, Steven and Matt involved from the get go... but maybe working with a smaller number was just more manageable! considering the people involved in what we consider the current line up. The smaller the number of people involved, the better! 

Steven can still play, no question... but is he reliable? big question. Izzy? guessing he doesn't want to go full time with any project, including an all original member reunion (which isn't on the table), also guessing he was at one point in talks with the "regrouping" and was offered something he couldn't agree to... only a guesstimate though. Matt? would be on board if asked... why wasn't he asked? probably put his foot in his mouth at some point with one, or more of the members (Slash apparently said all those things all those years ago)... maybe none of them! BUT! maybe! Frank is just the a better fit for GnR 30 years in, same with Richard. 

Is the reunion about money? absolutely!!! any major touring is about making money! if they were just showing up doing sporadic club shows every once in a while with little to no advertisement MAYBE they'd just be doing it for the fun of playing together, but to e going out charging the prices they are charging and playing the venues they are playing it has to be about the money. Now, it remains to be seen if there's the possibility of a new album in which case it makes any touring that bit more legitimate and null in voids most complaints about money grabs etc.

My only complaint about the "regrouping" is the complete mishandling of the launch. I'm a huge GnR fan, and I'm struggling to give a damn about the reunion!... I should be ecstatic that 3 out of 5 have got back together but... I'm just not that excited! curious? yes! but that's it; of course that could all change if a date is announced in Ireland tomorrow :D Not saying that they need to ram the regrouping down everyone's throats, but a stand alone interview (with an interviewer of their choice, with pre-screened questions) with the current members confirming involvement, camaraderie, and a general guide of what's to come would have gone a long way.

It's not a classic line up reunion but! it does sound like a pretty cool line up! 

edit - Niven is not reliable! proven by Izzy himself. According to Niven, "Izzy has recorded material recently, and it was for GnR" according to Izzy "I have no involvement with GnR and I have not recorded anything new with them"... hmmm!"

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2

They probably didn't want to give Izzy and Adler an equal share of whatever the payout was.

Understandable since they both left the band partnership on bad terms years ago.

But come on, even The Eagles got back together and brought Don Felder back for a tour. Something could have been worked out.

I don't know, I think Niven is stretching it here.... Is money a factor, if course that obvious. But THE ONLY, or even main factor??? I don't honestly believe that. We are talking about Axl here, the guy that flat out refused a reunion for the last 20 years, when just as much money was available. He is also the guy that basically refused to promote his own album because he didn't agree with a lot of the business dealings. He could have easily made more money had he promoted CD, but yet he still chose not to. That doesn't sound like the guy that Will just do it for the money. Hell even Azoff tried his ASS OFF to get a reunion, and Axl denied it. It just doesn't add up. Fences had to be mended, peace made, friendships at least made acceptable in order for it to happen. Is money reason number 2? Perhaps. But making nice with Slash and Duff was reason number 1. So just off of that, Niven is full of it imo.

• Like 3

I dont agree with Niv saying its Velvet Roses. 

But he's spot on with everything else. The most obvious thing with Iz is that they probably low balled him, and so he bailed. Or they asked him to make concessions he wasnt cool with. With Steven, I dont have a clue, maybe they're throwing him a bone and thats why he's silent. 

Yeah, It wasnt billed as a Reunion from the band, but Im sure the vast majority of us GNR fans wanted and hoped that somehow, someway we'd get the OG 5 or as close to it as possible. Instead, we get 3. cool, its not bad, but it definitely took the wind out of the sails for me personally. I'll be watching vids on Youtube of the gigs. To those going to Vegas enjoy it, I hope the shows are good and your money was money well spent. 

If the shows are good, somewhere down the line, when they have some a gig or two in LA at the Forum or Staples, I may spend  the cash and go see em if the prices arent Vegas prices. For 3/5ths out of 5, I couldnt justify it to dropping that kind of bread. OG 5 It wouldnt have been an Issue

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I agree 100% with Alan. This chap represents my thoughts entirely.

Yes, same here. Not that I worry overly much about this not being a reunion, or that they are doing it for money, it is still something new and bound to be entertaining in some way or another.