GNR 1st Demo Tape on Ebay: Original or Fake?

markuk

I was wondering what other GnR collectors opinions were about this tape for auction on ebay now.. Obviusly this would be a very rare an sought after item if it was indeed an original, but upon contacting the seller he offers no provonence..seems this would be something that could easily be counterfeited..any thoughts?  thanks

I think it's a fake. First of all, it's coming from an area of the world that is well known for ripoffs, fakes, and forgeries. No offense to anyone that's Israeli, it's just a fact. I would say the same thing about China for example. The tape itself hardly shows any evidence of age. Here is mine:

http://www.troccolitm.com/TapeDemoAlt.html

If you zoom in you can see foxing on the insert, evidence of age. My other concern is the label on the tape. I think the bottom edges should be rounded. Look at the 2 pictured here:

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Demo-1986/release/6086460

Those two pictures that are on discogs.com - the first one is the one I have. The other one is another one I bought that I returned since I was suspicious - it was also from Israel. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, troccoli said:

I think it's a fake. First of all, it's coming from an area of the world that is well known for ripoffs, fakes, and forgeries. No offense to anyone that's Israeli, it's just a fact. I would say the same thing about China for example. The tape itself hardly shows any evidence of age. Here is mine:

If you zoom in you can see foxing on the insert, evidence of age. My other concern is the label on the tape. I think the bottom edges should be rounded. Look at the 2 pictured here:

Those two pictures that are on discogs.com - the first one is the one I have. The other one is another one I bought that I returned since I was suspicious - it was also from Israel. 

these demos, are the well known demos?, I mean...the same demos as you can find on bootlegs?

its probably fake

i swear ive never had a good experience when i bought stuff over $20 on ebay 

all the stuff i have got around $20 has been good (and legitimate) but everything ive got for about $40+ has been trash 

Edited by -W.A.R-

23 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

its probably fake

i swear ive never had a good experience when i bought stuff over $20 on ebay 

all the stuff i have got around $20 has been good (and legitimate) but everything ive got for about $40+ has been trash 

have you tried buying some silver boots from the 90s

that shit is pure gold

9 hours ago, troccoli said:

these demos from your tape are the same that are circulating for years? 

15 hours ago, troccoli said:

Possibly, they are quite fragile and I've never had them transferred to disc.

Hey thanks a lot for the answer

Not sure if i understood what you meant

I understood that you have never actually listened to the tape so you can not tell for sure if the versions of the 5 songs on the tape are the same versions (or different versions) of the demos that have been circulating for years.

Did I understand you right?

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

Hey thanks a lot for the answer

Not sure if i understood what you meant

I understood that you have never actually listened to the tape so you can not tell for sure if the versions of the 5 songs on the tape are the same versions (or different versions) of the demos that have been circulating for years.

Did I understand you right?

You are correct.

Moved this to Memorabilia Trading in an attempt to keep Discussion & News as tidy as can be, while hopefully taking a few more people to a less frequented area of the forum. 

If it was a calmer time, I might have left it, alas right now moderating this forum is like herding cats. Cats on acid.

Canter Banter or try to get a hold of Vicky through her site and ask her. I'm sure Marc has a copy and seen others. They probably know how many copies exist. 

It's probably too much money because it's not "holy grail" and the songs are out there. 

Archivists know how to make the tape playable, but it's probably going to be one shot. 

I'd already had a run-in before with this seller an knew he was a counterfeiter his previous account got shut down..basically this guy checks out places such as popsike for the most valuable demotapes then attempts to duplicate them..i think hes a graphic designer and can do decent repros of tape labels/covers from pics that are already online and the music is just downloaded anywhere..hes conned alot of people before and made ALOT  of money.. he will now attempt to sell to any of  the next highest bidders..so please report him to ebay...not that they care, but it might prevent him doing this again..and again..its fraud.. 

The original tape should have five screws(standard with most 80s cassettes his had none) he made the cover red as this would hide the lack of discolouring that you would get with 30 year old paper/cover

regarding the 1st GN'R demo from autumn 1985:

1) Welcome To The Jungle
2) Anything Goes
3) Don't Cry
4) Back Off Bitch
5) Think About You

- we officially have "Don't Cry" from that, released as B-side on the Don't Cry single. Check it out to see what quality from their 1st demo is in their vaults.
- "Welcome To The Jungle", "Anything Goes",  "Don't Cry" and "Back Off Bitch" are circulating on a couple of bootlegs. they are similar to the official "Don't Cry" demo, meaning they are recorded professionally in a studio with stereo and multilayer tracks with background vocals etc. This can help to seperate them from "on-the-fly" live recording sessions like "The Sound City Demos" from 1986 and more. However all circulating 1st demo copies are very low quality sourced from high generated cassette copies.
- "Think About You" is NOT widely circulating. It appears it raely made it on demos given away back in 1985/86, even Marc Canter's tape doesnt have it included. So most of the circulating versions dont have that song. I do have a copy though.

10 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

Canter Banter or try to get a hold of Vicky through her site and ask her. I'm sure Marc has a copy and seen others. They probably know how many copies exist. 

It's probably too much money because it's not "holy grail" and the songs are out there. 

Archivists know how to make the tape playable, but it's probably going to be one shot. 

I should clarify that my tape will play, but playing it will destroy it.  Basically low quality tapes of that age start to shed the magnetic residue.  I had an archivist look at it and he wasn't able to help unfortunately.