Comedy Icon Gary Shandling Dead At 66

axlslash

Comedian Garry Shandling died at an L.A. area hospital on Thursday ... TMZ has learned.

The 66-year-old star was not suffering from any illness ... as far as we know ... so, it appears this was sudden. A source connected to Shandling says he was healthy and speaking to people on Thursday morning.

Our source says there was a 911 call from "The Larry Sanders Show" star's home, and he was transported to the hospital. We're told Shandling was alive when he arrived at the hospital.

1 hour ago, Len B'stard said:

I've never heard of him.  I thought i loved television comedy.

The guy made two of the most influential comedies of all time. In particular The Larry Sanders Show remains the greatest single camera comedy ever made. It had the same level of influence and is as responsible for altering the modern television landscape as Twin Peaks is. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Angelica said:

The guy made two of the most influential comedies of all time. In particular The Larry Sanders Show remains the greatest single camera comedy ever made. It had the same level of influence and is as responsible for altering the modern television landscape as Twin Peaks is. 

I don't care much for the whole influence thing, but that show was absolutely incredible. Easily one of the top 10 sitcoms I've seen, and also possibly the best show of the 1990s. For the 90s at least, it and Seinfeld are in a league of their own (possibly along with The Simpsons?).

What's your opinion - The Larry Sanders Show or Seinfeld?