Your Thoughts and Feelings as the Reunion Draws Near

Just now, Philipm787 said:

But the end of that period were different times. They had just come off a monster tour, duffs pancreas burst and slash was an alcoholic who couldn't deal with axl acting the big rockstar persona that he had originally detested. They all just had enough, that wonderful period had run its course. Then comes the CD era which was an unproductive mess by all accounts, whereas Slash and duff have been writing and recording like fuckers once they got over the gnr 'extravaganza'. They all lead 3 very different lives compared to the 87-93 era by all accounts, but Slash and Duff are still extremely productive musicians who stand a much better chance of influencing Axl to write and record new material than a group of 'hacks'.

Slash and Duff have always been very productive. Axl's procratination was the reason they both released solo records while still in GN'R (!). Again, this has nothing to do with them but entirely with Axl, and unless he has changed, AND actually wants to work with Slash, no new music will come out of this, I am afraid.

11 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Slash and Duff have always been very productive. Axl's procratination was the reason they both released solo records while still in GN'R (!). Again, this has nothing to do with them but entirely with Axl, and unless he has changed, AND actually wants to work with Slash, no new music will come out of this, I am afraid.

Do you not think Axl would be more motivated to work with Slash than a guy that's trying to be Slash? Personally I think he would

12 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Do you not think Axl would be more motivated to work with Slash than a guy that's trying to be Slash? Personally I think he would

He wasn't very motivated to work with Slash back in the 90s so why would he be now?

Besides, I don't think Bucket, Robin or Bumble was trying to be Slash. Bucket and Robin definitely inspired Axl, yet it didn't result in much. I am afraid this has little to do with band mates and all with Axl's quirks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

He wasn't very motivated to work with Slash back in the 90s so why would he be now?

Besides, I don't think Bucket, Robin or Bumble was trying to be Slash. Bucket and Robin definitely inspired Axl, yet it didn't result in much. I am afraid this has little to do with band mates and all with Axl's quirks.

Because Slash is no longer an arrogant alcoholic. And didn't Axl say there was a couple of CD songs he wanted Slash?

Oh and I meant DJ, who talked of his famous 12 songs he had demoed up for guns, which, based on sixx am, must have been utter garbage. So he just stuck to trying to be Slash in his live performances seeing as though he clearly couldn't replicate him in the studio.

4 minutes ago, starlight said:

My only concern is Axl's form at this point

A concern of MANY... Just hoping for the best.. If there is any validity to the AC/DC thing it implies that he is feeling pretty confident and the AC/DC boys think he sounds good enough for the job. That would be encouraging.

32 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Because Slash is no longer an arrogant alcoholic. And didn't Axl say there was a couple of CD songs he wanted Slash?

Regardless of whether Slash has changed I still think this has more to do with Axl, and I have seen no signs of him changing.

I'm super excited... 

This is what I've wanted more or less (barring nitpicking about the final lineup) since I joined this forum in 2004 (jesus). I wish they were coming to Vancouver.... but I'll make it to Seattle. 

Hell, I'm curious now to see if Slash and Duff can put some swagger in the CD songs that get played. May as well find the silver lining :). It'll be cool if Slash and Duff get a chance to speak on the mic for the first show, too. 

My continued interest and support is based on Axl's voice and eventually whether they release new music. If GNR had reunited in 2012, with Axl's voice of 2012, I'd prolly have checked out by now. 

Edited by Ant

5 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

My thoughts? I'm just very happy. No other way to word it, really.

on April 8th im gonna skip classes and chill in my room all day and have a guns n roses marathon and watch all the music vids and interviews and documentaries and shit

I wish I can do the same! I work on April 8th and April 9th... but I'm going to try so hard to do that too! 
Excited is the word :headbang:

• Like 1

Im 23. Been on the forum for about 8 years and been following GnR forever. I loved Chinese democracy. Genuinely conside it a 10/10 album. But nothing touches the swagger and energy of the old hand. Never thought I would see this day. And here I am going to Vegas to be a part of it. Going to have the time of my life.

2 hours ago, supercool said:

haven't been so happy to be a gnr fan since 1993!

i feel sorry for the "fans" who aren't enjoying this moment.

Lol "fans"

Never thought I'd see the day where the "fans" zinger got turned and used in the wake Axl & Slash getting back together. It was always sad to see fans of the new lineup say fans of the old lineup weren't real "fans" because they didn't love the new guys. It's just as sad to see it go the other way. Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't make them a "fan".

• Like 1

I find it hard to compute. I was so used to the Axl - Chinese Democracy - Guns N' Roses that I never contemplated this being a possibility.

In earnest my initial reaction was "Oh great another lame old band getting back together for the cash" but now it's happening I'm 100% going in New York.

I remember '05 on this forum when we were scrambling around for sightings of Axl cause we didn't even know if he was alive anymore. Now we have Axl and Slash about to take the stage again and I couldn't be happier.

We all deserve this.

• Like 1

Hey guys ;)

Am I the only one who doesn’t know how to react with the reunion?   I had the feeling it was coming for a few years now.  I was lucky enough to meet Axl a few times and share drinks with him.   I have heard stories that he used to talk shit about Slash during the after show parties.  But the 4 times I was there, I was surprised how he was telling funny stories from the Illusions era and saying nice things about Slash.  It really felt like the anger was gone.    The last show in Montreal, had a different vibe. I had a drink with a few GN’R members after the show and you could feel that something was going on. 

I have the feeling that DJ was ask to leave and that it wasn’t his decision.  When he announced that he departed, I knew that Slash was back.  

The reason I love GN’R is the music. Maybe it’s because I saw them live so many times that I’m not that hype about another nostalgia tour, even if now Slash and Duff are back.  Will I go see them, I probably will just to witness Slash and Axl back together again.

I think it’s time for GN’R to release new music, and I really hope that during this tour they will find that spark that will make them wants to record new music.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people will probably just say "Nah they should just fuckin play" but I kinda hope Axl does a rant/story like he used to just explaining how it happened. You can't have a 23 year feud with someone, call them cancer, say the reunion will never happen then suddenly all is right with the world just because they signed over the royalties and allowed each other to put the other's songs on their respective DVDs. I mean yeah we can all speculate "it's Duff that did it". But why now? Duff became friends with Axl again 6 years ago. What took so long then? Why did Axl always shut the door in Slash's face when he made amends before? I just would like to hear the story, even a summarised 3-5 minute version.

I'll try to keep this short and not sappy.

Appetite was the first music I ever purchased with my own money, buying the cassette at the "Record Rack" in my hometown when I was 8.   Now, some 30 years or so later, one of the songs on that album, when sung by Daddy, has been the number one lullaby for my kids, and still in my mind remains the greatest rock ballad of all time, if not the greatest rock SONG of all time.    My two older kids are 3 and 6 and they know every word.    I don't need to tell you folks which song... you already know.

This is biggest musical event of my generation, and one of the biggest in history.  It's the largest bucket list item of my life.  Bring it the fuck on.  

Edited by Braxon Raine

My thoughts and feelings?

A bit muted.

I'm 39.  For a few decades of my life, this news would have melted my brain and sent me over the moon.  Even up to about 2009.

But then when axl didn't do any press or videos or support for ChiDem, I kind of finally let my GnR balloon deflate.  If he didnt care enough to support his work, why should I?

I'm seeing their first show in vegas, because I feel like I owe it to my 17 year old self who never got to see them together live.  But I wish I still had the same enthusiasm for GnR as I did even 8 years ago.  I hope axl can still sing.  I hope he's lost some weight.  But I no longer hope that they're going to be an influential band again.  I think that ship has sailed.  The best they can hope for is being the world's biggest nostalgia act, and maybe cranking out a few new tunes that won't break into the mainstream because guitar rock is pretty dead today.

I'm glad they're getting along today.  BUT WHY THE FUCK COULDN'T THEY HAVE DONE THIS IN 1999?

So much wasted time.

• Like 1

About a year ago, when the rumors were starting to heat up a bit, I walked into a store and Brownstone was playing on the intercom and I thought to myself "I really do still hope these guys reunite someday."

a few hours ago, I returned to the same store and the band's version of KOHD was playing this time and I realized "oh shit! Now they ARE reuniting! Next week!!"

still fuckin unreal, man...

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I am excited, and happy. I've been a Guns fan since I was a kid, and as with others, the music helped me get through some seriously tough times.

I never saw the original line-up - I was too young - but saw the UYI line-up in 1993, and it was amazing. I can still recall how I felt during that show.

I didn't mind the newer line-up, and when I saw them in 2006, I had a great time (despite the wait). When I had tickets in 2012 and I was ill on the day of the concert I was gutted.

Axl, Slash and Duff getting back together is something I'd hoped for, but it seemed nearly impossible. I would love to see them play live once more. It would be even better if Izzy and Steven were there, too.

I feel very happy for those who are going to see them in Vegas and at Coachella and at the other concerts that have been announced. So far, then, it's all positive.

The selfish part of me feels worried, though. Tickets for good seats have thus far been very expensive. If they're around that price when they come over here, I might not be able to afford it. And they may not even come anywhere near me. So, it's possible that I won't get to experience any of it in person.

Right now, I am keeping my fingers crossed for a live stream. That way I (and others in my position) will get to enjoy some of the magic, at least.

I can't believe how pathetically this reunion has been rolled out.

Except, it's GNR... so it's 100% believable. 

I mean... It's Axl, Slash and Duff reuniting!!! Aside from maybe Led Zeppelin, this is probably the biggest rock n' roll tour ever (and how many bands that came around after GNR would get this kind of attention/demand?) But the rollout has been just a giant shit show. Confirmation of the lineup through instagram? No REAL announcement that there IS a reunion? So lame, yet so expected. 

And to just rub salt in the wound, all of the wind of the reunion has been taken out of the sails by the stories/reality(?) of Axl fronting the entity calling itself AC/DC now. 

The biggest reunion of the decade, and Axl is going to front two bands at once? He couldn't even front one properly for the past 20 years. 

Utterly disappointing, yet completely familiar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnnybebad said:

I can't believe how pathetically this reunion has been rolled out.

Except, it's GNR... so it's 100% believable. 

I mean... It's Axl, Slash and Duff reuniting!!! Aside from maybe Led Zeppelin, this is probably the biggest rock n' roll tour ever (and how many bands that came around after GNR would get this kind of attention/demand?) But the rollout has been just a giant shit show. Confirmation of the lineup through instagram? No REAL announcement that there IS a reunion? So lame, yet so expected. 

And to just rub salt in the wound, all of the wind of the reunion has been taken out of the sails by the stories/reality(?) of Axl fronting the entity calling itself AC/DC now. 

The biggest reunion of the decade, and Axl is going to front two bands at once? He couldn't even front one properly for the past 20 years. 

Utterly disappointing, yet completely familiar.

giphy.gif

I guess you've missed the multi-million dollar promotion they've just rolled out in 21 major North American cities?

• Like 1