Can anyone explain what the Internet of Things is?

wasted

I did some work for this IOT solutions company awhile ago and the whole time I was just thinking I still don't get it, where is it? On the inter? Are they real things? Or more like software? Is it library of existing things...? I could really asking them to explain. I've googled it and it's vague. But I saw a suit on CNN saying it's the future. Wtf is the Internet of Things?

See it's very vague. Are they real things like a tv or phone being connected online or is it a whole different "internet"? 

From the documents I was working on it had lists of what looked like software packages, but I'm not sure what role they play. I assume they are not the IOT system but some stuff you access through it. 

That's what I don't get. They interoperate with each other. But who controls that? Seems almost like an organic living world of technology. Maybe just a way to find out more about people. They can already monitor you internet and banking activity and process it. But if they can access your phone and building you live in...

Well you control you're phone but what if you can access a building and the security system of the building interacts with your phone? I don't really what to go conspiracy.

But if all these huge databases, systems start interacting to make more efficient. It almost becomes like an organic techological system. New kinds of data will emerge. It's like analyzing chaos on a deep level. We think of things in terms of our phone, skype, visual physical interactions. But actual invisible new forms of data will be more useful in terms of solutions. new cross sections of statitical data that can be acted on more immeadiately. Like likelihood of a parking space in certain building at a certain time. I can't really imagine in terms of economics or science. 

That's what I'm talking about a fridge that cools beer to certain temperature as the GNR reunion gets closer. But really why stop there. Automated delivery of food to said fridge based on what you are taking pictures of and posting about. Or even what you say. So you are talking with co worker about Burger King at break. So when you get in your car the GPS system is already set up to drive to burger king. Or would you like delivery? Burger king already know what you eat and how often you deviate from the whopper. 

We love to own technology but the technology ends up owning you. 

22 minutes ago, wasted said:

That's what I'm talking about a fridge that cools beer to certain temperature as the GNR reunion gets closer. But really why stop there. Automated delivery of food to said fridge based on what you are taking pictures of and posting about. Or even what you say. So you are talking with co worker about Burger King at break. So when you get in your car the GPS system is already set up to drive to burger king. Or would you like delivery? Burger king already know what you eat and how often you deviate from the whopper. 

We love to own technology but the technology ends up owning you. 

Well is it that much different from the google search engine that recognises your entries and adjusts your interests and ads accordingly? I think what you are alluding to by having these machines with software actually make decisions for you, is a step too far. They still need permission from you to do those things. It's still your command to give to the GPS and who is to say you wont take a different menu at Burger King? They can however through statistics get an idea of what your preference and routine is, but like I said that is what commercial/ad companies are already doing via your customer cards, bank and medical records and online shopping habits etc. But the choice you make is always going to be yours.

Edited by Bumblefeet

7 minutes ago, Bumblefeet said:

Well is it that much different from the google search engine that recognises your entries and adjusts your interests and ads accordingly? I think what you are alluding to by having these machines with software actually make decisions for you, is a step too far. They still need permission from you to do those things. It's still your command to give to the GPS and who is to say you wont take a different menu at Burger King? They can however through statistics get an idea of what your preference and routine is, but like I said that is what commercial/ad companies are already doing via your customer cards, bank and medical records and online shopping habits etc. But the choice you make is always going to be yours.

That's why advertising and marketing companes pay millions to make us buy certain things. 

That's the level I'm thinking on but I think it goes deeper than just making me buy burgers. 

In my mind it's like a hurricane of swirling data that will throw up new insights. 

Im not sure I understand it. Maybe it's just like physical things like cars are online. They could be fixed remotely. Or just be tracked. Nothing is offline. 

Like today I went to an office with security but couldn't through security because I don't have a card. But if whoever I was meeting sent some code to my phone I could of got through. In the future I may assume that would happen. Everything from systems and services could be more streamlined. Your tv could fix itself or someone could have access to it remotely and when it broke they would fix it without out you even knowing. Which is happening already I guess with updates. 

But yeah IOT solutions. What is the problem? Safety for one. If you think insurance is expensive try having a disaster. 

Imagine if there were cameras on a soccer ball or Slash's guitar was online as he played it. You could watch everything, analyze everything. I'm sure this will be applied to more pressing things but it's also a whole new sector for the illuminati to exploit. 

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

Imagine if there were cameras on a soccer ball or Slash's guitar was online as he played it. You could watch everything, analyze everything. I'm sure this will be applied to more pressing things but it's also a whole new sector for the illuminati to exploit. 

I get your concern but that is where in such a case you should check the square that says "do not share information" or even better buy the guitar or the soccer ball that isn't connected. There is always going to be a demand for privacy.

OK, I lied about being a fridge. ;)

I'm actually on an imac and it has a web camera. I don't like it having a camera, I don't use it and I don't want it to be hacked. So I taped it off as I never use it anyway. Same thing with every cell phone or PC that wants to connect to a cloud to make a backup of my data. I refuse to let it do that for similar reasons. There still have to be boundaries.

• Like 1

That's a utopia. But I think with so much information exchanged it will be unavoidable. We won't even know what they know. At the moment we are being trained to interact with digital media. We welcome it. That's a first! We are looking at it as modernist Stars wars fans. But a new generation arent the rebel alliance they basically are the circuitry of the Death Star. They enjoy being part of the fabric of technology. It won't be a conspiracy as we know it. But control we be attained in a cladestine way. Shadow of control. Maybe like how we say advertising doesn't work yet we drink coke like it's good for us. 

Humans are strange. They see success as short term exploitation of each other. Life is a 50 year scam. 

It has been admitted that The Internet of Things is a pretty inaccurate name for what it is. 

It's already been explained to you, but it will have many uses. For example, a few weeks ago I was searching for my vase. In the Internet of Things, I would be able to search for it using my phone, which would then locate it for me.

11 hours ago, wasted said:

I did some work for this IOT solutions company awhile ago and the whole time I was just thinking I still don't get it, where is it? On the inter? Are they real things? Or more like software? Is it library of existing things...? I could really asking them to explain. I've googled it and it's vague. But I saw a suit on CNN saying it's the future. Wtf is the Internet of Things?

It's basically how SkyNet was born.

• Like 3