Opener for Summer N.A. Tour?

Axl has to show up on time for these or this will turn ugly quick.  These stadium shows will consist of mostly casual fans not diehards.  He has to be able to appeal to them or the tour will not get completed.   50-60 thousand fans will not wait til midnight to see Axl.  

1 hour ago, yourcrazy said:

Axl has to show up on time for these or this will turn ugly quick.  These stadium shows will consist of mostly casual fans not diehards.  He has to be able to appeal to them or the tour will not get completed.   50-60 thousand fans will not wait til midnight to see Axl.  

They did back in the 90s...on a nightly basis.  Interestingly back then you had no idea that was going to be the case either unless you had already seen them.

But, things have changed.  The band just isn't going to be going on late unless there is a circumstance out of their control going on.

This whole being late stuff is no longer an issue.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Someone suggested that some cities will have openers and others won't. Maybe that's the deal?

Could be, but more likely it is due to noise curfew issues.  For example, Dodger Stadium has a hard curfew of midnight.  They will unplug you at midnight and there is a criminal ordinance in place that subjects you to arrest and jail.

Dodger Stadium tix say 6:30 on them :)

1 hour ago, ironicninja said:

For what it's worth, Taylor Hawkins' other band Chevy Metal only has two gigs scheduled...one in May and one in September.  I am very skeptical about it being the Foo Fighters, but I very much want it to be true.  

I also hope it's Foo Fighters!

2 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

There's no way in hell Foo Fighters are opening for GnR.  Let's get a bit real here people.

They are fans of the band and are laid-back guys. Sure, they can sell out these stadiums on their own, but I don't think they'd be against being an opener for GnR.

It can be anyone, but it doesn't seem like there are any good leads yet.

1 minute ago, Zoey said:

They are fans of the band and are laid-back guys. Sure, they can sell out these stadiums on their own, but I don't think they'd be against being an opener for GnR.

It can be anyone, but it doesn't seem like there are any good leads yet.

Those aren't good reasons for them to do it.  Seriously Foo Fighters aren't opening for GnR.   There's not one reason why they would that is valid.

Dave may lend or give Axl his chair because he's a solid dude, but they aren't opening for them.  It makes no sense financially for either band and makes no sense in any other way.

Dream all you want, but it isn't gonna happen.  A show or two...that would be it.  Not the whole tour, no way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Those aren't good reasons for them to do it.  Seriously Foo Fighters aren't opening for GnR.   There's not one reason why they would that is valid.

Dave may lend or give Axl his chair because he's a solid dude, but they aren't opening for them.  It makes no sense financially for either band and makes no sense in any other way.

Dream all you want, but it isn't gonna happen.  A show or two...that would be it.  Not the whole tour, no way.

Then I'll be dreaming it happens in Chicago ;)

Edited by Zoey
misspelling

They can get away with having some club band open if they want to. The crowd is there to see Guns, not many people are gonna care who's opening. Proof is in the fact that the shows are selling really well (some sold out with 2nd dates added) without an opener even being announced.

2 hours ago, tsinindy said:

On the Stones' Bigger Bang Tour in '06, their openers included Metallica, Pearl Jam, Yeezus, and the Dave Matthews Band. In what way did those make more sense or have more reasons than the Foos opening for Guns now? Mutual admiration, a need to sell out stadiums... It makes plenty of sense for everyone. Not saying I'm sure it'll happen, but I don't see where your certainty is coming from at all.

5 minutes ago, axlslash said:

On the Stones' Bigger Bang Tour in '06, their openers included Metallica, Pearl Jam, Yeezus, and the Dave Matthews Band. In what way did those make more sense or have more reasons than the Foos opening for Guns now? Mutual admiration, a need to sell out stadiums... It makes plenty of sense for everyone. Not saying I'm sure it'll happen, but I don't see where your certainty is coming from at all.

Did you read where I said maybe for a show or two?

And if you read through the thread I've said previously said they may very well follow the Stones lead and have multiple big names open for them at various shows.

In the context of the discussion at the time the issue was Foo Fighters opening for the whole tour (US stadium tour).  That isn't going to happen.

Edited by tsinindy

2 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Did you read where I said maybe for a show or two?

And if you read through the thread I've said previously said they may very well follow the Stones lead and have multiple big names open for them at various shows.

In the context of the discussion at the time the issue was Foo Fighters opening for the whole tour (US stadium tour).  That isn't going to happen.

I admit that I haven't read through the whole thread, sorry I missed that. I just don't see how you can be so sure (this coming from me, who was telling people to fuck off with their reunion rumors right up until Coachella was announced). I think you're likely right, I just think your absolute confidence might be a bit overstates (unless you're Dave or Taylor, in which case I take it all back and I'd love to buy you a round before MetLife 2 ;) )

1 minute ago, axlslash said:

I admit that I haven't read through the whole thread, sorry I missed that. I just don't see how you can be so sure (this coming from me, who was telling people to fuck off with their reunion rumors right up until Coachella was announced). I think you're likely right, I just think your absolute confidence might be a bit overstates (unless you're Dave or Taylor, in which case I take it all back and I'd love to buy you a round before MetLife 2 ;) )

Haha, totally understand.  No, lol, I'm not Dave or Taylor or anyone that knows anything (except I had some late info on LA shows).  At any rate, my confidence comes from the lack of any sense whatsoever there is in one big name opening the whole tour...

But sure we could see Green Day, Pumpkins, Foo Fighters or whoever really open a date or two or three here or there within a doubt.

7 hours ago, yourcrazy said:

As @RussTCB said, Gn'R will probably be going on around 9 - 9:30.  I am sure this was discussed when working out this tour as it was a pain point for these guys in the past. There will be curfews as well. . There will be a lot of casual fans at these shows and you are right, they don't want to wait all night for the show to start, especially on a weeknight. They better come out swinging too as I know Stadiums like Foxboro shut down the beer sales as soon as the headliners hit the opening note.  People will be tailgating and getting primed up beforehand but I can certainly see people getting restless if they continue busting out 3-4 CD songs a night while coming down off their beer buzz.

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Someone suggested that some cities will have openers and others won't. Maybe that's the deal?

I sure hope so. Thats far too early to see Guns. The energy would be off id assume. 9, maybe, 7 sounds awful.

Also, thatd be depressing if alcohol sales end early at Qualcomm. Ive never heard of a place turning money down for no good reason.

With Nashville saying 8pm, I could easily see someone opening from 8-845 in Nashville. Brad Paisley did 8pm and played 45-50 minutes before the Stones. The Stones started right at 930 and ended at 1145. I don't see anyone as big as Foo Fighters or Green Day doing just 45 minutes. BUT I have been dead wrong before and if it happened Id be happy, but I'm not banking on it. 

Edited by ajdintn