Guns N' Roses PLAY TROUBADOUR LOS ANGELES, FRIDAY APRIL 1, 2016: Axl, Slash & Duff Reunited

4 hours ago, maxpax said:

There still must be someone who switched his phone on Audio recording mode before putting it in his Pouch or Pants...

The guy next to me in line said he was going to do that, but I haven't seen anything go up yet.  We both said it would probably sound really crappy.  He was standing right in front of Axl, so at least he was close.

A couple extra tidbits from Friday...

On Friday the doors were already open and people filing inside the Troubadour. The police pulled a car over just out in front.  They made the driver get out, then asked the passenger to step outside the vehicle as well. The passenger was Frank Ferrar. The driver and Frank were pleading that Frank was the drummer of GnR, the police were not buying it. I said hello to Frank and confirmed to police that he was indeed the drummer. Deciding not to make a scene, police allowed Franks car to go. Frank said thanks. 

There was also a dispute at some point over a promoter and his guests getting in after the fire marshal had closed down any further entry. Fernando came out to resolve it and was introduced as "gnrs manager". Take it for whatever thats worth. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

This is the only person who can play Paradise City with the right amount of feeling. 

I love Adlers Power and energy...he is living the gnr Sound...with him you also notice the drums much more while franks drumming is just a simple addition to the other guys... Matt and Adler would have been top notch....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xphoenix said:

On Friday the doors were already open and people filing inside the Troubadour. The police pulled a car over just out in front.  They made the driver get out, then asked the passenger to step outside the vehicle as well. The passenger was Frank Ferrar. The driver and Frank were pleading that Frank was the drummer of GnR, the police were not buying it. I said hello to Frank and confirmed to police that he was indeed the drummer. Deciding not to make a scene, police allowed Franks car to go. Frank said thanks. 

You are a douchebag...if Frank would have been arrested they would have called matt...he was preparing in the viper room...;)

• Like 4

Looking at some of these stadiums that GNR will play in this summer...It has me wondering if they can really sell those beasts out to max capacity? these are mega stadiums... I know they can pull this off because they have done it before...but would'nt it make more since to release a small EP of new songs similar to Lies? I love that they're motivated to sell out mega stadiums again...maybe they will release something before July...still some months to go before the big tour starts.

12 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

Just watched this and came to three conclusions:
1. I'm so glad that the fucking DOUCHE Dj Ashba is gone. Poser.
2. A stripper? Really? I hope that they won't pull shit like that now. Pathetic.
3. Frank seems to have played the off beat-hihat in Jungle since atleast 2014. Too bad.

1 agreed

2 doubt it since they had strippers dancing at tower records

3 that video is from 2012

15 minutes ago, xphoenix said:

There was also a dispute at some point over a promoter and his guests getting in after the fire marshal had closed down any further entry. Fernando came out to resolve it and was introduced as "gnrs manager". Take it for whatever thats worth. 

Next time he should wear a long curly blonde wig.

5 minutes ago, maxpax said:

I love Adlers Power and energy...he is living the gnr Sound...with him you also notice the drums much more while franks drumming is just a simple addition to the other guys... Matt and Adler would have been top notch....

Adler's drumming is really describing His character. cheerfull, goofballs, carefree....

6 minutes ago, spliff said:

1 agreed

2 doubt it since they had strippers dancing at tower records

3 that video is from 2012

1. Cool
2. That's really lame. Is it an american thing to think that it's "cool and rock n roll" with strippers? I don't understand it.
3. My bad.

You know if Adler really play with the big 3 at Troubadour...... Wonder if Izzy actually will join too.... I know tht He didnt like playing on stadium but last friday They played on club that They used to play in early days....

Edited by SerenityScorp

24 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

Just watched this and came to three conclusions:
1. I'm so glad that the fucking DOUCHE Dj Ashba is gone. Poser.
2. A stripper? Really? I hope that they won't pull shit like that now. Pathetic.
3. Frank seems to have played the off beat-hihat in Jungle since atleast 2014. Too bad.

4. Ron's tone is awful

5. Pitman's back vocals are terrible

6. No need for 3 guitars

7. the giants screens are cheezy and distracting

8. nugnr were always a big joke

15 minutes ago, thirdeyeuss400 said:

Looking at some of these stadiums that GNR will play in this summer...It has me wondering if they can really sell those beasts out to max capacity? these are mega stadiums... I know they can pull this off because they have done it before...but would'nt it make more since to release a small EP of new songs similar to Lies? I love that they're motivated to sell out mega stadiums again...maybe they will release something before July...still some months to go before the big tour starts.

That's what I keep saying! The venues are fucking massive haha. I can't imagine what kind of stage design they're gonna have.... it's new territory for the band for sure. Stadium shows now are a lot different than 25 years ago.  

I can't afford to get presale tickets for the Seattle show but I don't feel like it'll be hard to get 'em a little later... I mean, 40,000... 50,000 tickets?? Especially if it's just the UYI tour over again.

Edited by Ant

10 hours ago, ChineseIRS said:

Posted this in the review thread as well:

Okay just got home from work...idk how well written this will be, still cant really find the words to grasp how amazing this night was...to start the vibe was just really positive all around. The security was letting us drink outside the venue waiting for the doors to open. All they said was if the sheriffs come by just get rid of it so we dont get in trouble ha. Inside the venue the place just buzzing, it was electric. I ended up getting front row on Slashs side right in front of the monitor. Doors opened a little after 10pm and the lights when down a little before midnight. No intro (which i totally thought it was gonna be McBob) Slash walked out first and everybody followed, crowd erupted and Duff launched into Its So Easy. And from there the band didnt stop firing. Slash jumped up on the monitor during Easy for the first time and everyone around me lost it. Slash couldnt help but smirk at our reaction. The band was killing it and they knew it. They were all smiles and i just remember Duff looking up one point at Lenny Kravitz with a face like "yeah, we're back motherfucker!"

Axl sounded the best he has since 2010. He had the fire in his belly and that look in his eye. Rasp was everywhere to be seen. The song i paid most attention to vocally was YCBM cuz i know thats one he hasnt done good on for the last 5 years and he nailed it. He slayed the "breakin down my back" section! He was in a great mood and was definitely slimmer than he has been and he was not out of breath. Slash was very focused but he was rocking out for sure. To see him rocking out HARD to the chorus of Better was so surreal! It was just mindblowing to see him playing these songs and standing on stage next to Axl, i really couldnt believe it at some points. He was in top form and nailed every solo. At first they didnt interact too much but by the middle of the set Axl was throwing his arm on Slashs shoulder, he leaned up against his back rocking out during some solos and they exchanged a couple laughs between some songs.

As the setlist is out there, here is some highlights that stood out.

-Axl lost his footing during Brownstone and ended up ripping his jeans in the crotch. During the solo he walked over to the side of the stage and pointed up at Lenny Kravitz and back down at his crotch and said "Penisgate" or somethin to that effect and they both started laughing.

-Frank started a long countoff on the hihat and Slash launched into the Chinese Demoracry riff. I was like no way are they fucking playing this right now. It was very raw and punk rock sounding. It was pretty awesome and Slashs spin on the solo was great.

-Double Talkin' Jive!! Holy fuck was it awesome to hear that live. The band killed it and Axl sounded mean!!! He did the "i got...lies" part just like he sounded on the record.

-before the slide solo in Rocket Queen Slash did an extended talkbox solo, when he finished it Axl had a huge smile on his face and looked at us and said "you missed that, didnt you?"

-Godfather Theme was awesome! Before he started it Axl said "Heres a man that needs no introduction, but gets one anyways. Ladies and Gentlemen, Slash."

-Seeing Slash play the Sweet Child solo right up front and him and Axl doing that outro right next to each other was just insane. I remember looking back and Jim Carrey had the biggest smile on his face and i remember thinking "all is right in the world." Haha.

-Better had a whole new intro. It was this really heavy riff that just kept building and we're in the crowd goin holy shit theyre playing a new song. The riff kept building until it somehow came to a crash with Duff starting "no one ever told me when..." It was epic and strange seeing Slash completely rocking out in the chorus. Again he did a killer solo and did a cool slide part in the last verse. Again Axl slayed the "i never wanted you to be so full of anger" section.

-before Michelle Axl and Duff were talking and into the mic Axl goes "im goin by your guys' list tonight. Im follwing your lead" Duff starts laughing and Axl goes "thats very rare for me. I mean you guys know im an agreeable kinda guy. Im like Trump, i consult with myself." Funny moment.

-Heavens Door was probably the most special moment of the show. Axl starts the first sing along section and then right when he looked like he was gonna start the 2nd he kinda stopped himself and looked around the stage and said "this is the first time in 23 years us 3 have been on stage together, 1993, July i believe it was" the crowd just erupted. He did another sing along section and after that one he said "we worked very hard with the city to make this show happen, and we worked hard with the sheriffs and that in itself took 24 years" and laughed. It was amazing to see him almost taken back and acknowledging the magnitude of the night. 

-another cool moment was Nightrain when they kicked into the first verse. It was "Look out" and both Axl and Slash started the foot stomp, gliding across the stage, stoping for a brief second in front of each other, and spinning off. It was bad ass!

-During Paradise City the crowd was getting crazy and after the first chorus Axl started yellin to the crowd "you guys gotta step back people in the front are getting crushed.... (crowd didnt really move).....i said you people need to step the fuck back now!" They finally did and Axl signaled the band to keep going and he jumped into the next verse. Reminded me of somethin that would happen back in the day haha.

Im probably missing a bunch of stuff and its really hard to convey my emotions throughout the night. But this show will go down as the best show i have ever seen in my life. Just to see the first time Axl and Slash back together and have it be in such an important club to the bands history and to be right up front is just magical. I truly feel so lucky to have witnessed it. Im so looking forward to Vegas next weekend! See you guys there! You will not be dissapointed!!!

And for celebrities i saw: Lenny Kravitz, Kate Hudson, Nic Cage, Jim Carrey, Andrew Dice Clay, Dave Kushner, John 5, Colin Hanks, Norman Reedus, Sean Kinney, Bubbles, Bradley Cooper, the sports guy in Anchorman. Im sure there was way more, hard to make out everyone in the VIP section.

Man, I've read your review twice and both times I've gotten chills down my spine at least 8 times. Just awesome

• Like 2

18 hours ago, danijel00 said:

Pushing 3000K views.  That vid made me happy as shit... and seeing the smiles on Axl has to make us all realize that the bullshit is long gone and this thing is just getting started!!!

I've been a fan since I saw the band open for The Cult in 1987 and I have never been more happy then I am now ... July 16 in TO for me cannot come soon enough :) And management, please book Europe and/or S.A asap so I may get to multiple shows!

I'd love Adler and Izzy back too .. but you know, I was impressed with Ferrer the two times I saw him live and Fortus to me is really, really fucking good!

Shocked to see a broad in the band though.  Thankfully she is yum yum and I was impressed with a an interview of her I saw posted here yesterday ... but whatever.

Thanks to @ChineseIRS  for the fantastic review!

Exciting times!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Homefuck said:

2. That's really lame. Is it an american thing to think that it's "cool and rock n roll" with strippers? I don't understand it.

Whether you like it or not, exotic dancers (strippers) are very much a part of the band's history and the 1980's West Hollywood "sleaze metal" scene, from where the band originated.  They even recorded a "stripper/groupie's" moans in the band's most popular album ever, AFD, in the closing portion of "Rocket Queen". 

Of course, it's a thing of the past for the most part but it's still a part of the band's artistic history and that's why we will most likely continue to see them in the pop-up museum and maybe even on stage.  I personally view it as 100% artistic at this point and not in a sexual fashion or as condescending to women.  It's art.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, ChineseIRS said:

-Better had a whole new intro. It was this really heavy riff that just kept building and we're in the crowd goin holy shit theyre playing a new song. The riff kept building until it somehow came to a crash with Duff starting "no one ever told me when..." It was epic and strange seeing Slash completely rocking out in the chorus. Again he did a killer solo and did a cool slide part in the last verse. Again Axl slayed the "i never wanted you to be so full of anger" section.

What do you mean about "cool slide part in the last verse"? Did he use the bottleneck? Was the solo more like Robin, Ashba or did he played something different?

1 minute ago, GreenBud said:

Pushing 3000K views.  That vid made me happy as shit... and seeing the smiles on Axl has to make us all realize that the bullshit is long gone and this thing is just getting started!!!

I've been a fan since I saw the band open for The Cult in 1987 and I have never been more happy then I am now ... July 16 in TO for me cannot come soon enough :) And management, please book Europe and/or S.A asap so I may get to multiple shows!

I'd love Adler and Izzy back too .. but you know, I was impressed with Ferrer the two times I saw him live and Fortus to me is really, really fucking good!

Shocked to see a broad in the band though.  Thankfully she is yum yum and I was impressed with a an interview of her I saw posted here yesterday ... but whatever.

Thanks to @ChineseIRS  for the fantastic review!

Exciting times!!!

Her link interview?

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

Whether you like it or not, exotic dancers (strippers) are very much a part of the band's history and the 1980's "sleaze metal" scene of from where the band originated.  They even recorded a "stripper/groupie's" moans in the band's most popular record ever, AFD, in the closing portion of "Rocket Queen". 

Of course, it's a thing of the past for the most part but it's still a part of the band's artistic history and that's why we will most likely continue to see them in the pop-up museum and maybe even on stage.  I personally view it as 100% artistic at this point and not in a sexual fashion or as condescending to women.  It's art.

Well said

12 minutes ago, Ant said:

That's what I keep saying! The venues are fucking massive haha. I can't imagine what kind of stage design they're gonna have.... it's new territory for the band for sure. Stadium shows now are a lot different than 25 years ago.  

I can't afford to get presale tickets for the Seattle show but I don't feel like it'll be hard to get 'em a little later... I mean, 40,000... 50,000 tickets?? Especially if it's just the UYI tour over again.

I hope it is just the uyi tour over again, because then they'd be promoting a new album?

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

why is that guy a douchebag for posting what he witnessed?  

I think he was making a joke by suggesting that if he hadn't stepped in, then Frank wouldn't have been admitted to the venue - and they could have gotten Matt to play drums.