Guns N' Roses PLAY TROUBADOUR LOS ANGELES, FRIDAY APRIL 1, 2016: Axl, Slash & Duff Reunited

1 minute ago, thirdeyeuss400 said:

Some of you might disagree with me here but I think they should drop some of the apetite songs and play more Use Your Illusions songs especially the ones that have never been played live like don't damn me, garden, locomotive, breakdown...and play others like coma, yesterdays, dead horse, right  next door to hell, shotgun blues etc...I'm sure tons of people would love to hear those and it would be an upgrade nonetheless.

I agree with you...but they should drop the covers IMO, get rid of LALD, KOHD, The Seeker, New Rose (actually maybe keep this one).  But, between that nd a longer set I think we'll see more of those UYI songs.  But, I don't want any of the AFD songs dropped, when there are covers they can drop instead.

• Like 1

LALD and KOHD probably aren't going to be dropped because they are covers that GnR basically made their own and they are show staples that all fans, hardcore and casual alike, expect to see.

New Rose is good, there will probably always be a cover or two for Duff to sing while Axl gets a breather.

10 minutes ago, CardinalGunner said:

Its not realistic for a band to tour with multiple drummers alternating between songs.    Pointing to a one-off special occasion like the HOF is just that, a special occasion and that happens often at the HOF with band's alumni.   

Bringing this guy to play one set of songs, and that guy to play another set of songs is not how things in work for bands on tour.   

GNR is not an "average" band - never has been and never will be.

They've never done things "like every other band" - which is part of what makes them great.  And both Matt and Stevie have indicated they have no problem sharing a stage with each other. So, I don't see this is an issue at all. As long as the two are willing to split the paycheck, I don't see any hurdles to making this happen.

1 minute ago, madison said:

GNR is not an "average" band - never has been and never will be.

They've never done things "like every other band" - which is part of what makes them great.  And both Matt and Stevie have indicated they have no problem sharing a stage with each other. So, I don't see this is an issue at all. As long as the two are willing to split the paycheck, I don't see any hurdles to making this happen.

Of course they aren't an average band.  Furthest thing from that.   But I don't see a multi-drummer lineup as a realistic long-term setup.     My opinion.

Edited by CardinalGunner
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, thirdeyeuss400 said:

Axls weight, hair, voice will always be a debate.

Well if he lost weight, his voice and stamina would likely improve.  I don't think many people would be clamoring to "bring back fat axl"

His hair transplants have grown in nicely so he's doing all he can with that.

I hope they do spontaneous setlists like back in the day... like even when they didn't know what they would perform next... That would be awesome. I like having Slash and Duff back in the line up it takes stress, pressure, spotlight off Axl now that people want to see the 3 of them and not just Axl. Good times are ahead.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thirdeyeuss400 said:

Some of you might disagree with me here but I think they should drop some of the apetite songs and play more Use Your Illusions songs especially the ones that have never been played live like don't damn me, garden, locomotive, breakdown...and play others like coma, yesterdays, dead horse, right  next door to hell, shotgun blues etc...I'm sure tons of people would love to hear those and it would be an upgrade nonetheless.

that would be great, but Axl needs a huge amount of rasp to sing most of those songs. 

23 minutes ago, Babooshka said:

The thing about Axl's voice, is whether it's down to his weight or not. He clearly isn't going to change.

I really thought that he would. But once that pic of him with Slash's daughter came out, the writing was on the wall. He either can't or won't improve things. Even if Steven and Izzy were back, he would still sing like that and be the same size.

From what we've seen, the vocal performance wasn't full on Mickey, he was mostly good. So maybe efforts have been made, but the Mickey voice is now part of how he sings. Unless they put out new material that better suits his current voice, this is it.

Well he bloated up prior to 2001, and then trimmed down somewhat, so I've been hoping he would trim down again.  But he's apparently a man who likes his indulgences - sushi, steak, beer, etc.  I guess we all have our vices.  Slash had opioids, axl has carbs and sugars and fats.

But the "it's because hes old" excuse doesn't cut it.  Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, Iggy Pop, and many others have shown you don't HAVE to let yourself go as you get older.

Some people just decide they get more pleasure out of gluttony than they get out of being healthy and in shape.

56 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

maybe its because I'm so used to this. 

To me this has always been horrible. As much as it works on CW from the same show, that much 'rasp' on SCOM is horrible. I like what we've heard so far.

And I'm happy to have Frank drumming. The nostalgia thing needs to stop, I believe this is GNR mark XXI (is that right, I've lost count).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

Getting Izzy has an extra advantage apart from everything that should be, he can sing 2-3 songs easily. (DTJ,14Y,DNB, even some of his solo songs)

Get Duff to sing 1 or 2, and Axl would have his max. 

This is actually the first time, i've ever give a serious thought for this... and: you're right.... you're totally right, it could work

So thanks for pointing to me, that a reunion with Izzy has some rational reasons too!

Just now, NicoRourke said:

To me this has always been horrible. As much as it works on CW from the same show, that much 'rasp' on SCOM is horrible. I like what we've heard so far.

And I'm happy to have Frank drumming. The nostalgia thing needs to stop, I believe this is GNR mark XXI (is that right, I've lost count).

one man's trash is another man's treasure.

15 minutes ago, thirdeyeuss400 said:

I hope they do spontaneous setlists like back in the day... like even when they didn't know what they would perform next... That would be awesome. I like having Slash and Duff back in the line up it takes stress, pressure, spotlight off Axl now that people want to see the 3 of them and not just Axl. Good times are ahead.

there is no way in this day and age they are going to do the spontaneous set list, everything nowadays is so controlled with the lighting and the mixing that the Set list is well established hours before the concert, I am sure every night might have a couple of songs that were different from the night before, but I am guessing at least 90% of the set list is exactly the same each night on the tour

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChineseIRS said:

Yeah he played a rhythm part in the last verse with a slide, it sounded pretty cool! Id say the solo was more in line with Robins but Slash definitely put his touch on it, i remember really diggin the end of it in particular.

Thank you. Sounds really interesting. :)

4 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

Am I the only one who's quite happy that Axl doesn't lick his fingers anymore after singing ''You're a very sexy girl''?

It was becoming increasingly disturbing with each passing year. Haha. 

• Like 1