Guns N' Roses PLAY TROUBADOUR LOS ANGELES, FRIDAY APRIL 1, 2016: Axl, Slash & Duff Reunited

1 hour ago, thewolfshead said:

I think people also tend to forget that what you hear at the show and what you hear in youtube clips is often vastly different.

I don't know... I mean I have seen GNR and many many other bands and I have never encountered any clip from youtube or any audio recording that is not an accurate representation of the show I went to.  I have never encountered anything that was different at all compared to the real thing

5 hours ago, rudolf1978 said:

I cant belive the guy sing like Mickey Fucking Mouse in the biggest reunion in years.Sweet child mickey mouse,Paradise city mickey mouse, theres only RQ and You could be mine to confirm the guy its done.

Based on the little clips we have so far Axl sounds great, and he is very energetic too.  I think that it is great seeing Axl so positive and vibing with the crowd and the band (and escpecially Slash)

Edited by WhazUp

54 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I don't know... I mean I have seen GNR and many many other bands and I have never encountered any clip from youtube or any audio recording that is not an accurate representation of the show I went to.  I have never encountered anything that was different at all compared to the real thing

I know from personal experience that I saw Oasis in 2009 and I thought Liam Gallagher (another singer whose voice has suffered over time) sounded great.  Listened to youtube clips and a bootleg audience recording and thought his voice sounded much much worse.

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Totally agree with this!

Problem is most GN'R songs have those high pitched things :wacko:

I noticed here that Axl sang with a lower. stronger register than he does now. 

I wonder why he doesn't try this out now, rather than the higher, cleaner approach.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Totally agree with this.  The Mickey thing is way overblown.  People need to listen to the studio version of AFD more often....half the songs in it have little to no rasp at all.  So just because he isn't using rasp doesn't mean he's going Mickey.  Some songs just don't have the rasp sound in them. 

This. Axl sang "clean" in some sections throughout the show but it was not mickey. Unlike 2011-2014 there was power and passion in his voice. He definitely was not phoning it in....and ur totally right about studio AFD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNRFan53 said:

I wonder why he doesn't try this out now, rather than the higher, cleaner approach.

Always loved this version, my favourite version of WTTJ actually. But it's probably very hard to sing it this way as well, so much power.

• Like 1

His voice was always likely to change over the years. The drink, drugs and smoking probably gave him the rasp in many are accustomed to, but the guy is 54 and has matured. Look at Phil Collins, one of the worlds greatest singers and yet when he returned to Genesis for the 2006 reunion, he sang in a more grainy lower key and the band slowed the play down to compensate for it. My point being, Axl is not in his 20's and will likely never sound like that again.

People can take the p*ss out of his voice if they want, but i personally think in the clips i have seen, he sounds much better than he has done for the last 5 years or so. I saw them in 2006 in Glasgow and the voice in these new clips is not too dissimilar.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GNRFan53 said:

Axl sings in two different tones on Jungle. He switches from line to line, the clearest example is at that golden gods show where you hear him go with that Mickey voice then it turns to a lower throat trying to be raspy voice. But you can hear it on any recent performance, the last time he sang the song like the 90's was in 06. 

I I think the reason he goes from that higher voice to a lower voice is to get his breathing right to get all the lyrics out in time. Switching allows him to control his breathing a little better than singing in one register. 

1:17 he switched to low register throat rasp, then at 1:26 he switches back to high register

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 2

I just don;t think he can do it anymore, I think he has more or less butchered his mid range and now has to choose to either push his chest voice up, or do his higher pitched voice. You can him struggling with it as far back as 2010, especially later in the year (Its very noticeable on November rain at Bucharest, sounds AMAZING but you can hear struggling.

What he can do is probably push himself harder, I think instead of pushing his voice to its limits he has instead often just taken the safe option. The Axl of the past (even to an extent upto 2010) would have forced it, but these days that rarely happens. He did push it hard at times at Vegas (the Nightrain on the 7th June is a decent example of that, where he normally goes for 'mickey' after the first verse, at this concert he forced his stronger raspy chest voice and it made it sound so much better)

Even though I think he has really messed up his mid-range, that doesn't mean he still can't give great performances, he pretty much completely was void of it in 1993 and he nailed most of those shows (all either high pitched rasp or lower chest voice though).

3 hours ago, agno said:

Always loved this version, my favourite version of WTTJ actually. But it's probably very hard to sing it this way as well, so much power.

He's clearly out of breath here in a few moments and it is only one song! What a lazy, fat, taco bell eating, careless and disrespectful fuckhead he must have been to come so unprepared for such an event!

I'll never understand why Axl didn't go back and re-record his vocals for the Chinese Democracy album after he got in shape for the 06-07 tour

Hearing some of those songs in 2010 for the first time with Axl singing with rasp...man, they were 100 times better than the album

46 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

I'll never understand why Axl didn't go back and re-record his vocals for the Chinese Democracy album after he got in shape for the 06-07 tour

Hearing some of those songs in 2010 for the first time with Axl singing with rasp...man, they were 100 times better than the album

We know he re did This I Love with raspier vocals, so it's likely he did more.