Fan at center of ‘Riverport Riot’ would welcome Guns N’ Roses back

http://fox2now.com/2016/03/30/fan-at-center-of-riverport-riot-would-welcome-guns-n-roses-back/

ST. LOUIS (KTVI) - Some rock fans wonder if it’s a joke. They find it difficult to believe Axl Rose and Guns N’ Roses would return to St. Louis. But the GNR website indicates St. Louis will be a stop in 2016. July 2, 2016 marks the 25 year anniversary of the “Riverport Riot.”

“No pun intended, but I think it’s a riot,” said Bill “Stump” Stephenson.

Stephenson was at the center of the 1991 concert. He was taking photographs at the concert, even though photography was prohibited. Rose called for security to get the camera and eventually jumped into the crowd himself. The concert ended and fans started ripping out chairs and throwing pieces of equipment from the stage.

Stephenson said he was eventually strapped to a medical board even as the riot continued.

“I’m still seeing bottles and chairs and all kinds of stuff flying around,” he said.

Stephenson said he told the medic to either flip him face down so he couldn’t see what was hitting him or to get him out of there as quickly as possible.

Stephenson believes there was plenty of blame to go around for the riot, but does not regret taking the photographs. He believes Axl Rose should have welcomed the attention.

“If you want to be a celebrity and be in the limelight, autographs and pictures are part of that,” Stephenson said. “If you don’t want to be a celebrity get on the couch, get out of the way. There’s somebody that wants that job.”

Rose was eventually dragged into court over the riot and has repeatedly bad-mouthed St. Louis (consult the liner notes for Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II). Stephenson said even after everything that’s happened, he will attend the concert if Guns N’ Roses returns to St. Louis. Stephenson plans on reuniting his own band, South Side 5, for an upcoming concert at Kenny’s Bar and Grill in Barnhart. His band has also played with a GNR tribute band.

Stephenson hopes to copyright some of the photographs he took in 1991 and sell a limited number of them for the upcoming 25-year anniversary. There is no specific date or venue location for a 2016 concert in St. Louis.

sorry if this has been mentioned already! 

admin edit- c&p the actual article.

• Like 1

“If you want to be a celebrity and be in the limelight, autographs and pictures are part of that,” Stephenson said. “If you don’t want to be a celebrity get on the couch, get out of the way. There’s somebody that wants that job.”

Great quote..

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Great quote..

Yeah but that was a different era and bootlegging was a real problem speaking from a capitalistic viewpoint. The second part of his quote sounds like a dumb comment from someone who views a celebrity as a commodity and not a person. I'm not surprised you like it @Tom-Ass given you disdain for Axl haha.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Great quote..

Agreed. If you form a rock band you really should avoid being too good.

Know the entire story before quoting this tool as if his opinion on the incident matters.

He was being a problem all night. Just just for Axl but for all the fans around him. And security refused to do anything because he knew them or was part of the crew who was off that day (can't recall exact detail on this one). So finally Axl got fed up and stage dived right at him. This little fanboy would later ask Axl for an autograph AFTER the lawsuit was over, and Axl actually signed it for him.

Everyone shares some of the blame for the riot, but most of it should fall squarely on the shoulders of the security there for not doing their jobs.

And yes, it was a different era where you could actually control photography. Nowadays with every phone also being a camera, you can't ban such things from venues.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Asia said:

O boy, another five minutes of fame for that douche. He didn't even desrve the first five. Pathethic.

I was thinking that when I read the story this morning. I bet that dude is going to run around telling EVERY. ONE. IN. THE. VENUE. that he's "The Riot Guy". A total of absolutely no one will give a shit, but that's probably not gonna stop him.

10 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Great quote..

Not given the circumstances and situation. Axl didn't protest a fan or photographer taking his picture under normal circumstances. This guy was knowingly taking unauthorized photos. Big difference.

Back then, every concert tickets said "NO CAMERAS". It was well-known. Even today, when you go to a Dave Chappelle or Kevin Hart concert, cell phones are banned. You can't take pictures or video anything. If they see you with one, you will be forced to leave.

Having to deal with piracy is not part of the celebrity lifestyle.

Edited by thunderram

3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Know the entire story before quoting this tool as if his opinion on the incident matters.

He was being a problem all night. Just just for Axl but for all the fans around him. And security refused to do anything because he knew them or was part of the crew who was off that day (can't recall exact detail on this one). So finally Axl got fed up and stage dived right at him. This little fanboy would later ask Axl for an autograph AFTER the lawsuit was over, and Axl actually signed it for him.

Everyone shares some of the blame for the riot, but most of it should fall squarely on the shoulders of the security there for not doing their jobs.

And yes, it was a different era where you could actually control photography. Nowadays with every phone also being a camera, you can't ban such things from venues.

Yeah, and same guy approached Slash and tried to buddy up with him in a 'we both hate Axl', don't we? way. Slash wrote that he was not impressed at all by this guy. 

2 hours ago, BetterDay7 said:

Yeah, and same guy approached Slash and tried to buddy up with him in a 'we both hate Axl', don't we? way. Slash wrote that he was not impressed at all by this guy. 

you serious? this "stump" guy approched Slash? he's a grown-ass man acting like a total **** and still trying to make a profit/fame from this incident (selling photos)...one would think he would grow up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolranchdressing! said:

you serious? this "stump" guy approched Slash? he's a grown-ass man acting like a total **** and still trying to make a profit/fame from this incident (selling photos)...one would think he would grow up?

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't slash make it seem like this was a random encounter with this dude and his biker friends and it almost seemed like they were about to jump slash? i can't remember. been a while since i read it 

15 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

I'd like to see his photos from that day

there was a video posted awhile back that had a pic he took of Axl during Rocket Queen

15 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

I'd like to see his photos from that day

there was a video posted awhile back that had a pic he took of Axl during Rocket Queen

7 hours ago, BetterDay7 said:

Pretty sure he handed Axl a card stating he was affiliated with a biker gang during the show as well trying to intimidate him, if you watch the show it happens around the 15:55 minute mark. I also remember reading somewhere (maybe in Slash's book) that a threat had been made to Axl by some guy because he screwed his girl last time they were in town hence the bulletproof vest, so great vibe at that show all round!

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 4:56 AM, KeyserSoze said:

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't slash make it seem like this was a random encounter with this dude and his biker friends and it almost seemed like they were about to jump slash? i can't remember. been a while since i read it 

yes, a random encounter I think