THE CULT TO OPEN FOR GNR OUTSIDE USA

THE CULT guitarist Billy Duffy has revealed to Vanyaland that his band will share the stage with the reunited GUNS N' ROSES in the coming months. And while Duffy didn't elaborate, he did say the dates wouldn't be taking place in the U.S.

"I believe we will be playing with them at a couple of shows that are not in the United States. I think I can say that, I believe," Duffy said. "I just found out."

GUNS N' ROSES is rumored to be playing an intimate warm-up show on Friday (April 1) at the Troubadour, one of the Los Angeles clubs where the band first played before the release of its debut album, 1987's "Appetite For Destruction". More information is expected by Friday morning, at which point a limited number of tickets will go on sale to the general public.

With the first GUNS N' ROSES reunion show scheduled for just over a week from now, on April 8 in Las Vegas, the band has still not officially announced the lineup of musicians who will take the stage beyond singer Axl Rose, guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan. But a new photo posted at the group's official Twitter account has sent fans into a frenzy. The picture of Ahead brand drumsticks fueled speculation that original drummer Steven Adler was returning to the group, especially after past and present GUNS drummers Matt Sorum and Frank Ferrer both denied they used the sticks.

According to The Pulse Of Radio, fans first approached Sorum on Twitter, with the one-time GUNS drummer confirming that he used Ahead sticks from 1991 to 1993 but did not currently use them.

Ferrer also responded to the image, saying the Ahead ones weren't his and that he used Vater sticks.

That left Adler, who has remained silent about the GUNS reunion since it was announced and also did not comment on the photo of the sticks. Adler, like Sorum, has used Ahead sticks in the past but not recently.

Recent reports have suggested that Ferrer, who has been in the GUNS lineup since 2006, will play the bulk of the show at the band's upcoming dates, although Adler could appear as a special guest.

GUNS N' ROSES has six shows scheduled in April: two in Las Vegas, two in Mexico City and two at the Coachella Music And Arts Festival in Indio, California. The band has also announced the cities for a 21-show North American tour, although dates and venues have yet to be confirmed.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-tour-to-expand-beyond-u-s-the-cult-to-open-select-dates/#l8oXhBROHIjSJT8F.99

1 minute ago, cooker said:

Will Matt be the Cult's drummer? 

I just wondered the same, perhaps Matt will be involved in these shows.

If not it's a bit of a FU and I can't see Slash and Duff being okay with that, they all seem on good terms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alfierose said:

If not it's a bit of a FU and I can't see Slash and Duff being okay with that, they all seem on good terms.

Matt hasn't been the Cult's drummer for decades. Not an FU at all. The Cult will be their current lineup.

1 minute ago, alfierose said:

I don't think so he would be Cults Drummer, he left that band ages ago. 

its a big FU that he is not involved, He has played on 2 full records and then playing with Slash and Duff for so many years and so many albums. Honestly he contributed so much more than Frank to GNR.

I really don't get how Slash and Duff agreed to play with Frank and not Matt. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

As much as I like a few Cult songs, I don't think they're gonna help GNR sell out any shows. Maybe this is for the SA tour where Guns will sell out anyways?

I'd say it's more of a favor to The Cult. They gave GN'R a chance to open for them back in the day before GN'R blew up into a phenomenon. This is a chance for the GN'R guys to say thank you to the Cult guys.

• Like 2

Just now, axlslash said:

Matt hasn't been the Cult's drummer for decades. Not an FU at all. The Cult will be their current lineup.

Perhaps not, I suppose it depends on whether Matt is involved or not and how he feels about that. Just seems an odd choice given Matt's history, I could be reading too much into it of course.

3 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Perhaps not, I suppose it depends on whether Matt is involved or not and how he feels about that. Just seems an odd choice given Matt's history, I could be reading too much into it of course.

As @GNRfan2008 pointed out above, I think the more significant history here is that GNR opened for the Cult when GNR were still nobodies, so it's a bit of a full-circle thing. Don't think Matt was ever part of the equation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, axlslash said:

As @GNRfan2008 pointed out above, I think the more significant history here is that GNR opened for the Cult when GNR were still nobodies, so it's a bit of a full-circle thing. Don't think Matt was ever part of the equation.

Yeah that does make sense, still seems like it might be a good indication that Matt could be involved in a few shows. As always, wait and see I guess! :lol:

4 minutes ago, Ender04 said:

Wonder if this is for Mexico city and Toronto (since AIC is only announced for Vegas) or for some new, not yet announced gigs

That's what I've thought. It has to be Mexico. I belive both, Astbury and Duffy live in LA, right?

That is a great pairing IMHO and if they were touring with them here in the U.S. I would actually be willing to pay a little more for tickets to see that billing as I am a bigger Cult fan then I am a NuOldGun fan at this point.

I have seen the Cult every tour since the 80's, have a ton of bootlegs and all of the Instant Live shows from recent tours and actually would go just to see them.

Regarding the current Cult drummer it is John Tempestra (Exodus, Testament, White Zombie) and, while I am certainly no expert, IMHO I think he is more talented than Steven, Matt or Frank.........

12 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I don't think so he would be Cults Drummer, he left that band ages ago. 

its a big FU that he is not involved, He has played on 2 full records and then playing with Slash and Duff for so many years and so many albums. Honestly he contributed so much more than Frank to GNR.

I really don't get how Slash and Duff agreed to play with Frank and not Matt. 

$,$$$,$$$

1 minute ago, CheapJon said:

Another thing. The Cult's current drummer seem to be their longest serving drummer as well the drummer on more albums than any other drummer they've had. They won't ditch him for Matt. 

YEah, John Tempesta has been with them since 2006 or so.

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Can't they get a more modern band for openers?

Sucks :thumbsdown:

Considering NuOldGuns is a classic rock band at this point, the fact that they started around the same time as the Cult did in the mid 80's, do you see the irony in your request?

4 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Considering NuOldGuns is a classic rock band at this point, the fact that they started around the same time as the Cult did in the mid 80's, do you see the irony in your request?

No, I dont see the irony in my request. GN'R popularity cant be compared to The Cult's and I dont see why they have to stick to the 80's. We're not in the 80's.

Flawed logic.