Portland Neighborhood Divided Over ‘British Colonial’ Restaurant

Amir

Just now, Jumpin' Jack Flash said:

Your original comment was unclear. 

It seems only to you. I shall be more mindful of the reading ability of those who may see my posts in future and simplify them accordingly. I shall clarify them additionally for those, such as yourself, who are clearly of a sensitive disposition.

• Like 1

Just now, PappyTron said:

It seems only to you. I shall be more mindful of the reading ability of those who may see my posts in future and simplify them accordingly. I shall clarify them additionally for those, such as yourself, who are clearly of a sensitive disposition.

Only to me? Because I was the only one that responded to it? That is because it was addressed to me. Why would anyone else express the fact that it is unclear? Also, instead of using "you" in that original comment, it would have been much more articulate of you to have used "they" since you are indeed referring to other students. Would have spared you that little tantrum that you threw, thanks to the mods for cleaning that up, btw.

5 minutes ago, Jumpin' Jack Flash said:

Only to me? Because I was the only one that responded to it? That is because it was addressed to me. Why would anyone else express the fact that it is unclear? Also, instead of using "you" in that original comment, it would have been much more articulate of you to have used "they" since you are indeed referring to other students. Would have spared you that little tantrum that you threw, thanks to the mods for cleaning that up, btw.

Tantrum? Hardly. Like I said, if you ever feel like correcting my English just save yourself the time and don't bother because it will only require me to correct your "correction".

Yes, "they" is also a suitable and applicable word. However, that does not mean that "you" is also not a perfectly accurate and valid word to use in its place, especially so when the point was clarified at the end of the paragraph. Like I pointed out to you, my use of the word "you" is a synecdoche, but you seem determined to think that the word is somehow "incorrect (in its) usage". You could have simply avoided your foolishness by politely asking what I meant rather than your childish "I don't know where the fuck you got the idea that you know what I think about this".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PappyTron said:

Tantrum? Hardly. Like I said, if you ever feel like correcting my English just save yourself the time and don't bother because it will only require me to correct your "correction".

Yes, "they" is also a suitable and applicable word. However, that does not mean that "you" is also not a perfectly accurate and valid word to use in its place, especially so when the point was clarified at the end of the paragraph. Like I pointed out to you, my use of the word "you" is a synecdoche, but you seem determined to think that the word is somehow "incorrect (in its) usage". You could have simply avoided your foolishness by politely asking what I meant rather than your childish "I don't know where the fuck you got the idea that you know what I think about this".

Well, the mods did have to delete it. You're right. At the end of the paragraph you were using "they", why didn't you keep using your synecdoche? You realised it was much more clear to use "they"

1 minute ago, Jumpin' Jack Flash said:

Well, the mods did have to delete it. You're right. At the end of the paragraph you were using "they", why didn't you keep using your synecdoche? You realised it was much more clear to use "they"

I think that you'll find that they deleted your posts just the same as mine. I didn't continue to use a synecdoche because it is a figure of speech, not a replacement word. Talking of which, you still haven't clarified what it was you were referring to when you asked whether I was using the word "synecdoche" incorrectly "again". You seem to have abandoned that line of statements completely.

• Like 1

I didn't continue to use a synecdoche because it is a figure of speech, not a replacement word.

Lol, you're reaching. If you had been articulate from the beginning, this wouldn't have happened. Maybe you weren't using it as a synecdoche originally and were referring to me. And, maybe, just maybe, you changed your tune after I first responded because you realised you had no reason to assume my stance on the issue. Yep.

9 minutes ago, Jumpin' Jack Flash said:

Lol, you're reaching. If you had been articulate from the beginning, this wouldn't have happened. Maybe you weren't using it as a synecdoche originally and were referring to me. And, maybe, just maybe, you changed your tune after I first responded because you realised you had no reason to assume my stance on the issue. Yep.

LMAO. Reaching? Reaching for what? I'm really not going to point out that "reaching" is completely the wrong word to use here and that the only person who is reaching is the person making the claim, which would be you. I know what I intended when I made the post, which is why I made it, but seemingly you have no idea what the word means and are simply yammering for the sake of it. I'll ask you again, because you seem incapable of answering: what was incorrect about my usage of the word "synecdoche"? I know why you won't answer and so do you, but apparently I'm the one reaching. Believe me, if I wanted to say something about you then you'd be the first to know about it.

• Like 1

LMAO. Reaching? Reaching for what? I'm really not going to point out that "reaching" is completely the wrong word to use here and that the only person who is reaching is the person making the claim, which would be you. I know what I intended when I made the post, which is why I made it, but seemingly you have no idea what the word means and are simply yammering for the sake of it. I'll ask you again, because you seem incapable of answering: what was incorrect about my usage of the word "synecdoche"? I know why you won't answer and so do you, but apparently I'm the one reaching. Believe me, if I wanted to say something about you then you'd be the first to know about it.

You're still reaching. Using "you" as a synecdoche did not articulate your point well, imo. Honestly, it does not look like that was your original intention at all, imo. Yeah, my English is not as good as yours but it is my third language.

8 minutes ago, Jumpin' Jack Flash said:

You're still reaching. Using "you" as a synecdoche did not articulate your point well, imo. Honestly, it does not look like that was your original intention at all, imo. Yeah, my English is not as good as yours but it is my third language.

And lo and behold, you still haven't answered why you stated that my use of the word was incorrect. You know that it wasn't but simply don't want to say it.

If English is your third language then you are doing well. You might want to tone down your accusatory tone, such as in your initial reply to me, though. Comes across as mighty dickish. Anyway, if you don't want to admit that your calling my use of "synecdoche" as incorrect was wrong, then don't bother replying as it's simply a waste of time and space. Be a man and admit the mistake, or don't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PappyTron said:

If English is your third language then you are doing well. You might want to tone down your accusatory tone, such as in your initial reply to me, though. Comes across as mighty dickish [sic]. Anyway, if you don't want to admit that your calling my use of "synecdoche" as incorrect was wrong, then don't bother replying as it's simply a waste of time and space. Be a man and admit the mistake, or don't.

Lol tone policing :lol:? But yeah, I already explained why I felt your supposed synecdcoche (ex pos facto) wasn't the best option. It did not articulate your point well. Look at the comment again. The first sentence focuses on "you", then you use "they" which led me to believe that you were first addressing me and then my peers. Don't pretend you don't see that.

8 minutes ago, Jumpin' Jack Flash said:

Lol tone policing :lol:? But yeah, I already explained why I felt your supposed synecdcoche (ex pos facto) wasn't the best option. It did not articulate your point well. Look at the comment again. The first sentence focuses on "you", then you use "they" which led me to believe that you were first addressing me and then my peers. Don't pretend you don't see that.

It doesn't matter whether you believe it to be the best choice of words or not, only whether the actual usage is correct or not. In short, I don't much care whether you think that "they" would have been the better choice, because you don't get to decide what is, and what is not, correct English: Jumpin' Jack Flash non supra grammaticos.

Edited by PappyTron
  • Like 1

Says who?

Why did you edit your post? ;)

Says who? Me, the person who is informing you of what the usage of the word meant, or do you intend to tell me that you believe that you know my intentions better than I do?

I edited my post, not ten seconds after making it, because I saw that I had inserted a space between the end of a word and the following period.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Says who? Me, the person who is informing you of what the usage of the word meant, or do you intend to tell me that you believe that you know my intentions better than I do?

I didn't articulate my point all that well. What I meant to say is "why doesn't it matter what I believe?"

I edited my post, not ten seconds after making it, because I saw that I had inserted a space between the end of a word and the following period.

tbh I wish you had used that considerable degree of attention on your first post regarding my initial comment.

I didn't articulate my point all that well. What I meant to say is "why doesn't it matter what I believe?"

tbh I wish you had used that considerable degree of attention on your first post regarding my initial comment.

It doesn't matter what you believe in the sense that my opinion is supreme when it comes to stating my intention over what I did or did not say or intend. If I asked you whether you prefer apples or oranges and you chose the latter my opinion over what you prefer doesn't come into it because only you know which you like more. Likewise, when you tell me that I meant something contrary to what I told you that I meant, especially when I explained the exact English usage that lead to your mistaken understanding, it is irrelevant; we aren't discussing which football teams we prefer.

2 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

It doesn't matter what you believe in the sense that my opinion is supreme when it comes to stating my intention over what I did or did not say or intend. If I asked you whether you prefer apples or oranges and you chose the latter my opinion over what you prefer doesn't come into it because only you know which you like more. Likewise, when you tell me that I meant something contrary to what I told you that I meant, especially when I explained the exact English usage that lead to your mistaken understanding, it is irrelevant; we aren't discussing which football teams we prefer.

Using a synecdoche just didn't communicate your point effectively. Move on.

4 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

I believe that it is Horace, not Tombstone. You are right though; your continued lack of understanding over everything posted is unchanging.

It was used in a film entitled Tombstone. What I don't understand is why you don't know how to use synecdoches properly. 

Edited by Jumpin' Jack Flash

2 minutes ago, Jumpin' Jack Flash said:

It was used in a film entitled Tombstone. What I don't understand is why you don't know how to use synecdoches properly. 

I know how to use them which is why I did. Seemingly you have no idea what they are, as a figure of speech, because you keep suggesting that I don't know what they are, whilst simultaneously suggesting that "they" would have been a better choice of word than "you". If I had used the word "they" it would not have been a synecdoche.

It was used in a film entitled Tombstone

I don't believe that I have seen it.

I know how to use them which is why I did. Seemingly you have no idea what they are, as a figure of speech, because you keep suggesting that I don't know what they are, whilst simultaneously suggesting that "they" would have been a better choice of word than "you". If I had used the word "they" it would not have been a synecdoche.

It would not have been a synecdoche, but it would have articulated your point much more effectively because there would have been no doubt that you were referring to my peers and not to me. Does that make sense? Be honest.