Troubadour Show - 1st April 2016 - Review Thread

On 3 April 2016 at 6:13 AM, ChineseIRS said:

Okay just got home from work...idk how well written this will be, still cant really find the words to grasp how amazing this night was...to start the vibe was just really positive all around. The security was letting us drink outside the venue waiting for the doors to open. All they said was if the sheriffs come by just get rid of it so we dont get in trouble ha. Inside the venue the place just buzzing, it was electric. I ended up getting front row on Slashs side right in front of the monitor. Doors opened a little after 10pm and the lights when down a little before midnight. No intro (which i totally thought it was gonna be McBob) Slash walked out first and everybody followed, crowd erupted and Duff launched into Its So Easy. And from there the band didnt stop firing. Slash jumped up on the monitor during Easy for the first time and everyone around me lost it. Slash couldnt help but smirk at our reaction. The band was killing it and they knew it. They were all smiles and i just remember Duff looking up one point at Lenny Kravitz with a face like "yeah, we're back motherfucker!"

Axl sounded the best he has since 2010. He had the fire in his belly and that look in his eye. Rasp was everywhere to be seen. The song i paid most attention to vocally was YCBM cuz i know thats one he hasnt done good on for the last 5 years and he nailed it. He slayed the "breakin down my back" section! He was in a great mood and was definitely slimmer than he has been and he was not out of breath. Slash was very focused but he was rocking out for sure. To see him rocking out HARD to the chorus of Better was so surreal! It was just mindblowing to see him playing these songs and standing on stage next to Axl, i really couldnt believe it at some points. He was in top form and nailed every solo. At first they didnt interact too much but by the middle of the set Axl was throwing his arm on Slashs shoulder, he leaned up against his back rocking out during some solos and they exchanged a couple laughs between some songs.

As the setlist is out there, here is some highlights that stood out.

-Axl lost his footing during Brownstone and ended up ripping his jeans in the crotch. During the solo he walked over to the side of the stage and pointed up at Lenny Kravitz and back down at his crotch and said "Penisgate" or somethin to that effect and they both started laughing.

-Frank started a long countoff on the hihat and Slash launched into the Chinese Demoracry riff. I was like no way are they fucking playing this right now. It was very raw and punk rock sounding. It was pretty awesome and Slashs spin on the solo was great.

-Double Talkin' Jive!! Holy fuck was it awesome to hear that live. The band killed it and Axl sounded mean!!! He did the "i got...lies" part just like he sounded on the record.

-before the slide solo in Rocket Queen Slash did an extended talkbox solo, when he finished it Axl had a huge smile on his face and looked at us and said "you missed that, didnt you?"

-Godfather Theme was awesome! Before he started it Axl said "Heres a man that needs no introduction, but gets one anyways. Ladies and Gentlemen, Slash."

-Seeing Slash play the Sweet Child solo right up front and him and Axl doing that outro right next to each other was just insane. I remember looking back and Jim Carrey had the biggest smile on his face and i remember thinking "all is right in the world." Haha.

-Better had a whole new intro. It was this really heavy riff that just kept building and we're in the crowd goin holy shit theyre playing a new song. The riff kept building until it somehow came to a crash with Duff starting "no one ever told me when..." It was epic and strange seeing Slash completely rocking out in the chorus. Again he did a killer solo and did a cool slide part in the last verse. Again Axl slayed the "i never wanted you to be so full of anger" section.

-before Michelle Axl and Duff were talking and into the mic Axl goes "im goin by your guys' list tonight. Im follwing your lead" Duff starts laughing and Axl goes "thats very rare for me. I mean you guys know im an agreeable kinda guy. Im like Trump, i consult with myself." Funny moment.

-Heavens Door was probably the most special moment of the show. Axl starts the first sing along section and then right when he looked like he was gonna start the 2nd he kinda stopped himself and looked around the stage and said "this is the first time in 23 years us 3 have been on stage together, 1993, July i believe it was" the crowd just erupted. He did another sing along section and after that one he said "we worked very hard with the city to make this show happen, and we worked hard with the sheriffs and that in itself took 24 years" and laughed. It was amazing to see him almost taken back and acknowledging the magnitude of the night. 

-another cool moment was Nightrain when they kicked into the first verse. It was "Look out" and both Axl and Slash started the foot stomp, gliding across the stage, stoping for a brief second in front of each other, and spinning off. It was bad ass!

-During Paradise City the crowd was getting crazy and after the first chorus Axl started yellin to the crowd "you guys gotta step back people in the front are getting crushed.... (crowd didnt really move).....i said you people need to step the fuck back now!" They finally did and Axl signaled the band to keep going and he jumped into the next verse. Reminded me of somethin that would happen back in the day haha.

Im probably missing a bunch of stuff and its really hard to convey my emotions throughout the night. But this show will go down as the best show i have ever seen in my life. Just to see the first time Axl and Slash back together and have it be in such an important club to the bands history and to be right up front is just magical. I truly feel so lucky to have witnessed it. Im so looking forward to Vegas next weekend! See you guys there! You will not be dissapointed!!!

And for celebrities i saw: Lenny Kravitz, Kate Hudson, Nic Cage, Jim Carrey, Andrew Dice Clay, Dave Kushner, John 5, Colin Hanks, Norman Reedus, Sean Kinney, Bubbles, Bradley Cooper, the sports guy in Anchorman. Im sure there was way more, hard to make out everyone in the VIP section.

I actually felt really teary reading that... Thanks for sharing. Great review.. You have lived so many others dream!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have to say that this give me goosbumps,

and I - as you lot know - am a cynical bastard so this is heady praise indeed. Axl looks a new man from how he was 2011-14.

See they are even winning you over, lol.

I understand people upset over Izzy and Adler not being there. But having said that, you can't deny that this IS (at very least) the best version of Guns n Roses since 1993. Which is pretty freaking awesome, if you ask me.

38 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

Did they have any other merch for sale at the show or Tower that wasn't show specific? 

I saw from a Periscope that they had a couple of Illusion era tees, like the one with the skull that has bullets going into it, if you know which one I mean

• Like 1

Mark in the morning got a ticket to the show for his tech guy, he gave his short review of the show this morning. It should be available on podcast soon, but to sum it up he felt Guns N Roses were back with a force, and that the atmosphere was incredible...the building shook the entire time, nothing was louder than when they started the chords for its so easy. Axl putting his arm around Slash was a great moment bc it loosened up Slash a bit who looked uptight for the first few songs, RQ was a big highlight for him.

he was a little coy about the show bc Mark and the other people on that show are super critical of Axl, but from everyone's review so far Axl was the star, he never looked out of breath, he had the energy and was really the frontman everyone forgot he was. 

It was cool insight, Nark actually got the ticket by texting Slash who at first told Mark he had no more to give.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

and I - as you lot know - am a cynical bastard so this is heady praise indeed. Axl looks a new man from how he was 2011-14.

Holy shit, Diesel hearing you say that warmed my GNR heart

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pedrolg said:

Guys, a friend of mine who was there says Axl rasped Rocket Queen entirely and a good chunk of YCBM 2010 style, no fucks given. Can anyone confirm that?

There's that weird all black pocket video of RQ where Axl is rasping the hell out of the song but it sounds like Live Era audio...if it's from the Troubadour then it's incredible 

12 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

There's that weird all black pocket video of RQ where Axl is rasping the hell out of the song but it sounds like Live Era audio...if it's from the Troubadour then it's incredible 

is it his one?

Amazing. The rasp sounds very 2010-ish, but in the middle of it all (around 0:26) there is a "OH!" that sounds very typical of current/recent Axl. It might be authentic

Edited by Pedrolg

21 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

is it his one?

Amazing. The rasp sounds very 2010-ish, but in the middle of it all (around 0:26) there is a "OH!" that sounds very typical of current/recent Axl. It might be authentic

This might not be Troubadour, but it's not the Live Era version

6 hours ago, DarkFairy81 said:

Can anyone make out what that logo says in the ISE video? Chef Vess's? Maybe we could find more video.. Cause that uploaders other video had no logo and that's not the name of his channel, either.

I'm pretty certain this is the guy who's logo and youtube channel host the two videos. His twitter timeline matches some of the other videos and he seems to be a regular VIP at Hollywood shows.

https://twitter.com/vernoncardenas

https://twitter.com/Veee1

The second twitter account that seems to be abandoned has a similar name to the logo and youtube account name.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Y'know what, I was wrong.  From what little can be gleaned from a short clip, i was wrong about my consistent assertion that they should never get back together cuz musicians kind of move apart and chemistry fades and dies, in my defence it probably does with many but that actually sounded like that band that I spent a most of my 20s on here ranting about how they were the dogs bollocks.  I think the club setting has a lot to do with it also but this is it, this is that thing that I've been talking about. 

Y'know what'd be fuckin' amazing?  A tour full of these, just randomly fuckin' pop up in a different club in a different place all across the world, a tour of suprise gigs if you like.  Dunno why but i think they'll suffer on the larger stage, i hope not for the simple sake of the fans paying all that fuckin' money to go see em but, yeah, that did sound alright, i must say.  Better than alright, good.

What i wanna know is, where all those cunts that was slagging off Slash all them years they were suckin' on NuGnR, where are ya eh, where are ya? :lol:  Nice to see em getting on too.  For all the chat and bad blood that went on you can see ginger bollocks missed it too, bless him.  Same for the rest of em really.  Tell ya what though, get Izzy in on that and you got a fuckin' blinder there. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Y'know what'd be fuckin' amazing?  A tour full of these, just randomly fuckin' pop up in a different club in a different place all across the world, a tour of suprise gigs if you like.  Dunno why but i think they'll suffer on the larger stage, i hope not for the simple sake of the fans paying all that fuckin' money to go see em but, yeah, that did sound alright, i must say.  Better than alright, good.

Agree 100%. GNR was and must remain a club animal. Or at least limit itself to not too big indoor venues. A clubs tour would sign me in even without the AFD5, cause I know it would be cool and fun.

26 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Y'know what, I was wrong.  From what little can be gleaned from a short clip, i was wrong about my consistent assertion that they should never get back together cuz musicians kind of move apart and chemistry fades and dies, in my defence it probably does with many but that actually sounded like that band that I spent a most of my 20s on here ranting about how they were the dogs bollocks.  I think the club setting has a lot to do with it also but this is it, this is that thing that I've been talking about. 

What i wanna know is, where all those cunts that was slagging off Slash all them years they were suckin' on NuGnR, where are ya eh, where are ya? :lol:  Nice to see em getting on too.  For all the chat and bad blood that went on you can see ginger bollocks missed it too, bless him.  Same for the rest of em really.  Tell ya what though, get Izzy in on that and you got a fuckin' blinder there. 

True. I wish I could see them in a venue like that, clearly having fun.

I don't get some of these posters feeling disappointed or betrayed. I was always an Axl fan and went along with everything he did, but looking at these (shitty quality) clips, I don't see how anyone can deny, this is how it's meant to be. It feels so natural and so good. And I feel like for the first time in years, I see Axl being happy and at ease.

I was so scared of Axl fucking it up or there not being chemistry on stage or it feeling forced, but I couldn't be happier with what I'm seeing up till now. Much better than I anticipated or dared hoping for.

• Like 1