Troubadour Show - 1st April 2016 - Review Thread

I know this has been discussed elsewhere (how could it not be!) But I figured it was a good idea to start a thread to report on the show. Any forum members manage to get tickets?

If so, use this thread to tell us your experiences once the show's over! Setlists! Line ups! Stage announcements! Figured this would be a good place to put all that...

• Like 2

I want to see footage.  My daughter had a violin recital last night in the valley and we had family in town from New York.  

Otherwise, I would have been there to check out this new player on the keys!  See you in Vegas and Mexico City. 

Looks like a handful of 10 second clips and a couple of photos made it past security. You know what? I'm glad. Much as I'd like to see stuff, mobile phones and the idiots waving them about ruin so much these days. Good for them on enforcing that policy, if only for this one show...

But in the meantime... Any witness reports? And PLEASE - not people speculating from those 10 second clips, my intention for this thread was to hear from people who were actually there...

Thanks for re-opening @alfierose

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Carne_asaDA said:

I wanna know if there was any banter or even "rants" between any songs. Or was it just straight down to business?

The guy Periscoping after the gig said there were no rants or anything. Axl made a few jokes and mentioned Trump however :lol:

31 minutes ago, IkaruFunk said:

The guy Periscoping after the gig said there were no rants or anything. Axl made a few jokes and mentioned Trump however :lol:

Axl introduced Slash by saying "This guy needs no introduction, but I introduce him anyway".

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, xfreekx said:

Man. what a night. I still can't believe i saw what i saw. 

I haven't searched but did anybody mention that the shirts were different at the show than they were for the tower event? They were similar but said "I was there" on the back. Pretty cool. i had to pick one up in addition to the other couple i bought.

The band sounded amazing, and most importantly....seemed really happy. Axl's rasp was unbelievably good from down in the front. Although he tired a bit towards the end, nobody seemed to care. Duff's background vocals were great...especially on the CD songs which sounded even better with this lineup. The better intro was awesome. 

When Axl fell, I was honestly worried the show was going to be over but he layed there for a second and then smiled as he kept going. 

As much as i wish Izzy was there (he was always my favorite member) it was hard to care. I heard people talking about how impressed they were with Fortus. This is a good thing for him too because instead of being buried as the third guitarist, he was able to showcase his skills and play some solos himself. He looked extremely happy as well.

I was up for 24 hours and am up again after about 4 hours of sleep so i'm a little haggard mentally, but all i can say is that it was a once in a lifetime event and i'm still processing it. 

Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, xfreekx said:

Man. what a night. I still can't believe i saw what i saw. 

I haven't searched but did anybody mention that the shirts were different at the show than they were for the tower event? They were similar but said "I was there" on the back. Pretty cool. i had to pick one up in addition to the other couple i bought.

The band sounded amazing, and most importantly....seemed really happy. Axl's rasp was unbelievably good from down in the front. Although he tired a bit towards the end, nobody seemed to care. Duff's background vocals were great...especially on the CD songs which sounded even better with this lineup. The better intro was awesome. 

When Axl fell, I was honestly worried the show was going to be over but he layed there for a second and then smiled as he kept going. 

As much as i wish Izzy was there (he was always my favorite member) it was hard to care. I heard people talking about how impressed they were with Fortus. This is a good thing for him too because instead of being buried as the third guitarist, he was able to showcase his skills and play some solos himself. He looked extremely happy as well.

I was up for 24 hours and am up again after about 4 hours of sleep so i'm a little haggard mentally, but all i can say is that it was a once in a lifetime event and i'm still processing it. 

Edit: Here's the slightly different shirt design especially for the show. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0852.JPG

Congrats on being there!

Can you confirm the setlist:

01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Welcome to the Jungle
04. Double Talkin Jive
05. Live and Let Die (unconfirmed)
06. Chinese Democracy
07. Rocket Queen
08. You Could Be Mine
Godfather theme
09. Sweet Child O' Mine
10. New Rose (unconfirmed)
11. Better
12. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
13. My Michelle
14. Nightrain
15. The Seeker (unconfirmed)
16. Paradise City

Edited by SoulMonster

8 minutes ago, Caraibes said:

The Slash/Fortus guitar combo is perfect. It's all about the right sound and the right chemistry. 

It might just be! Slash brings that amazing bluesy solo skills while soothing the sensibilities of those that feel it isn't GN'R without him, while Richard is a thouroughly competent rhythm guitarist who can also play all kinds of leads. Together they sort of combine the best of beautiful melodic soloing with technical repertoire and speed. I really, really, really hope they get to make new music together.

• Like 2

looks like it was amazing. wonder how many grown-ass men were crying? honestly i'd love to see izzy and adler on board, but if they aren't offering that for the whole tour it would be stupid to have them at the first show- to set expectations like that would be wrong. i'm pretty stoked for next weekend.

Did they have a cap on how many of those shirts you could buy?  You should have bought as many as you could get your hands on man.  That is some seriously limited shit.  If the regular ones are going for $150 on eBay, that has to be a $500 shirt.

Did Axl toss the mic at the end of the show?

On "Live and Let Die," he looked up at Jim Carrey and winked at a group of girls next to him with such bravado than Carrey, by the end on the song, was staring at Axl as if he'd just seen the greatest performance of his life. 

:lol:

• Like 2