A new song HAS to follow...

I don't often start new threads around here, and it may be the beer or lack of sleep talking, but I think a new song has to be their next step. 

The promotion for this gig has been well done, but seriously, where to from here. From a marketing point of view,  anything less than a new song would be standing still.

A slow(ish)  tease,  followed by a new song before the tour starts would be the perfect way to build the hype and boost sales. Anyone else agree?

Edited by uncivil war
Spelling

6 minutes ago, GNRSkidRow1 said:

Don't you think they would've played it last night then?

Not necessarily. They may be keeping a few surprises to keep the hype going. It's only hypothetical anyway. Just interested in where others think their next move should be (if they were in charge of promotion) 

I would be surprised if they don't cash-in on this reunion by putting out a new Best Of and perhaps tack on one or two new tracks. But I think a new albums is a pipe dream unfortunately.

It was kind of cool to see them back together again last night, but also a bit of an anti-climax if I'm truly honest. The only way I would've felt pumped about this reunion is if they'd done a new album first and then went out in support of it. Anything else is just transparent cashgrabbing.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Blabbermouth says they have a new record deal with Geffen, so maybe something is coming?

I think that was bad wording. They probably meant that the Troubador gig in 1986 was where they got their first record deal with Geffen.

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

I think that was bad wording. They probably meant that the Troubador gig in 1986 was where they got their first record deal with Geffen.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I bet you're right.

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Guns N' Roses are now a corporate 'legacy act' and have been for some time, well back into the 'nu' era. The idea of new music from this band should be consigned to the dust bin.

9 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I would be surprised if they don't cash-in on this reunion by putting out a new Best Of and perhaps tack on one or two new tracks. But I think a new albums is a pipe dream unfortunately.

It was kind of cool to see them back together again last night, but also a bit of an anti-climax if I'm truly honest. The only way I would've felt pumped about this reunion is if they'd done a new album first and then went out in support of it. Anything else is just transparent cashgrabbing.

good to see others starting to see the light and be realistic about things. it took me a while myself because i wanted so badly for things to be different, but they're just not when you really look at it.

hate to say it, but i almost don't want them to release anything new out of fear of how poor it could sound. honestly wouldn't want to feel embarrassed for them again. their legacy has been so thoroughly tarnished over these last 25 years of pure absurdity. sometimes you just have to sit back and look at everything that's happened and... just laugh.

as great as GNR was for about 5 years (and yes, they were magical), this is nothing more than the final remnants of what became of Axl and Slash the 'cartoon' characters. one last run at some money which is the way most acts exit. and it satisfies the fans' feelings of nostalgia at the same time, so everyone's content.

but no one should be surprised if someone in this current incarnation ends up pulling the plug during the coming tour. when you think about it, last night would've actually been the perfect time for them to call it quits... a full circle return to the Troub and then hang it up for good.

I don't see it as cynical as that. But each album has been an event. The biggest debut ever. The simultaneous release of the UYI, the Feud album, and next is… then the reunion album. A self titled album maybe. It's unfinished business.

• Like 1

First off, you gotta say, never hold your breath on new material. HOWEVER, I have no doubt there were some games going on behind the scenes with the label not exactly being receptive to supporting a new album after CD. Now that the reunion has happened, I imagine the label is going to make it as easy as ever for Axl to release something. That is what gives me some hope, along with Axl apparently seeming reinvigorated. I'm going to get rid of the cynicism and enjoy the ride.

So much positive momentum seems to be rolling... After all, these guys want to have a huge legacy it seems. They are selling this tour as  we are back, kickin ass n takin names.... This has been cooking for a long time... Axl's ghost was in the studio... Richard said "it will be out by then"... 

I think something is gonna surface between Coachella and 6/23....

11 hours ago, Towelie said:

I think there's still room for more to come here. I mean they're doing a STADIUM tour.... that's a huge production. To hold the attention of 40,000-50,000 people.... they've gotta have some more up their sleeves, right?

Can they really do successful stadium run if it's just the UYI tour again?

Release a new song as a singe, with a live b-side or something. THen do a greatest hits type thing, but with the new song (or two). Those will all be gobbled up and continue the nostalgia vibe. All the while its build up/hype for a new album.

Realistically I don't think a new album will be around till well after the tour. Too much at stake to add the pressures of a record on top of the current multi million dollar tour.

IMO they do need to capitalise on the events of late and the results of the first few big shows of the tour, and part of that should be at least a song or two.

1 hour ago, Axl owns dexter said:

First off, you gotta say, never hold your breath on new material. HOWEVER, I have no doubt there were some games going on behind the scenes with the label not exactly being receptive to supporting a new album after CD. Now that the reunion has happened, I imagine the label is going to make it as easy as ever for Axl to release something. That is what gives me some hope, along with Axl apparently seeming reinvigorated. I'm going to get rid of the cynicism and enjoy the ride.

That's what I think too. We saw the support for the new tour and the Troubador gig in the last couple of days that we never ever saw in the entire CD era. 

IMO, it only makes sense from a business point of view. With the band sounding that great, everyone would get to a new material/album at the end of the day - if they didn't already, of course.

I honestly don't care who is playing with Axl on a new song, I would just like to hear a new studio release with Axl singing :thumbsup:

I'd prefer it to be a surprise, a bit like Melissa..... I think part of the reason I don't give Chi Dem much attention is because I wore out songs like Madagascar, The Blues, Rhiad etc all the way back in 2001 on bootleg. Would hate for GNR to play a "new" song in 2016 only for it to be considered old news by the time the label finally approve it for release in 2023.