Post Pop Depression - Iggy Pop

Len Cnut

Has anybody else heard this album?  Opinions? I think its fucking brilliant.  And i really mean that, its mindblowingly good, a lazy description might be a return to The Idiot or Lust for Life era forum but its different.  Joshua Homme is in there with him and its ummm...one of the reviews called it obssessed with sex and death.  It was made between January and March and released a week or so ago.

and would you believe it, its top of the charts, a raw authentic garage rock kind of album is top of the billboard charts...and its Iggy, who never tops the charts.  Its a really unique and authentic and...i dunno, its album strange to hear a seriously quality garage rock type album in 2016, let alone one top of the charts.

If you've not heard this you should REALLY give it a go.  And pay for it if you can, support good music.

• Like 2

I love "Gardenia", that's all I've heard so far...havent been near a record store to actually buy the album yet.

Seems reminiscent of the Idiot/Lust For Life sound without being derivative...I've always liked the more melodic side of Iggy (as well as the ROCK, of course) and nice to see him doing that again.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

I love "Gardenia", that's all I've heard so far...havent been near a record store to actually buy the album yet.

Seems reminiscent of the Idiot/Lust For Life sound without being derivative...I've always liked the more melodic side of Iggy (as well as the ROCK, of course) and nice to see him doing that again.

I keep listening to this one :)

• Like 2

Just now, DR DOOM said:

That's a great song.

Funny thing is that I'm no means a Josh Homme fan (or hater for that matter) but yeah, real quality.

I heard another song from PPD a while ago that reminded me of " Baby" 

You know I wasn't real big on Josh & Queens either but after I found out about PPD I decided to give them a legit listen. I'm a fan now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Really love that line about 'greatest living American poet'.

...but here you are-gas, food, lodging and Gardenia.

Classic Iggy number.

I love how the album is really reminiscent of the Bowie and New Wave albums but without being derivative or a rehash.

Beat Em Up was the last album of his that I thought was really strong, I found the Weirdness to be pretty underwhelming.

3 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

...but here you are-gas, food, lodging and Gardenia.

Classic Iggy number.

I love how the album is really reminiscent of the Bowie and New Wave albums but without being derivative or a rehash.

Beat Em Up was the last album of his that I thought was really strong, I found the Weirdness to be pretty underwhelming.

To be honest i like em all on some level, The Weirdness was a Stooges thing rather than Iggy solo, had some cracking moments on it though, Trolling, My Idea of Fun (best lyrics on a rock song i heard in ages), The Weirdness the song.  

36 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

To be honest i like em all on some level, The Weirdness was a Stooges thing rather than Iggy solo, had some cracking moments on it though, Trolling, My Idea of Fun (best lyrics on a rock song i heard in ages), The Weirdness the song.  

I like all those songs you mentioned (in particular The Weirdness, LOVE that one) and a few others but it's a patchy album at best.

Fair call that most of Iggy's albums post Lust For Life are patchy but I found Beat Em Up to be really cohesive and strong all round.

I've always liked Avenue B a lot too, pairing that one and Beat Em Up is a nice combo.

11 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

I like all those songs you mentioned (in particular The Weirdness, LOVE that one) and a few others but it's a patchy album at best.

Fair call that most of Iggy's albums post Lust For Life are patchy but I found Beat Em Up to be really cohesive and strong all round.

I've always liked Avenue B a lot too, pairing that one and Beat Em Up is a nice combo.

New Values is class man.  Soldier is pretty cool, Party is pretty cool, Zombie Birdhouse you got a point, Blah Blah Blah is fantastic, American Ceasar is pretty good.  Perhaps I'm too much of a fanboy to have a clear view on the matter when it comes to Iggy.

25 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

New Values is class man.  Soldier is pretty cool, Party is pretty cool, Zombie Birdhouse you got a point, Blah Blah Blah is fantastic, American Ceasar is pretty good.  Perhaps I'm too much of a fanboy to have a clear view on the matter when it comes to Iggy.

Don't get me wrong, I can put on most any Iggy album and enjoy it but some are definitely a lot stronger and more consistent than others.

What's your take on Instinct? That would have to be getting pretty "greaser" for you, no?

Way back when, I bought this "Best Of Iggy Pop Live" compilation that featured "ultra metal renditions of all his best songs"...it's culled from a few different tours, 86-89 if I recall correctly- Andy McCoy is on there on a few.

Years later I got the King Biscuit show from the Instinct tour and recognised a fair few of those performances from that "Best Of".

The Lust For Life is really very cool, Iggy goes on about "all you little Nazi pricks wanting my dick in your face" and "Eat my dick- I play rock!" etc etc :headbang:

The cool thing for me about the album is, as old as Iggy is, and as much as he has done with music, this still has a feel of being different/fresh/something he hasn't really done before. I'm not saying it's completely new and sounds nothing like anything else, but for the most part it's fresh. Which is impressive for a guy who's been in the music biz for what, 40 years or so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J Dog said:

The cool thing for me about the album is, as old as Iggy is, and as much as he has done with music, this still has a feel of being different/fresh/something he hasn't really done before. I'm not saying it's completely new and sounds nothing like anything else, but for the most part it's fresh. Which is impressive for a guy who's been in the music biz for what, 40 years or so.

He's always been like that, its like he said after Raw Power was done he knew he had 'shot my shot' in terms of rock n roll and had to do something different, hence The Idiot, Lust for Life, New Values etc etc, he's been stretching his shit since forever.

To think this junkie who was near homeless and out of his mind, living in people garages, with managers waking his up in the backstage toilets with a needle in his arm with a pukey mouth before he got onstage, and he had such a clear musical vision.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

He's always been like that, its like he said after Raw Power was done he knew he had 'shot my shot' in terms of rock n roll and had to do something different, hence The Idiot, Lust for Life, New Values etc etc, he's been stretching his shit since forever.

To think this junkie who was near homeless and out of his mind, living in people garages, with managers waking his up in the backstage toilets with a needle in his arm with a pukey mouth before he got onstage, and he had such a clear musical vision.

For the first part, yeah I see what you mean. I first got into the first Stooges albums then kind of didn't check anything out by Iggy until later. When I finally did it was like, well this is different. I think it was Lust for Life, I was just impressed how natural he sounded doing something different. None of it really sounds forced either like with a lot of other artists. Whether different or weird, it all still sounds true. Post Pop Depression sounds like Iggy Pop.

The second part, people like that amaze me. Maybe it's because I know people like that, and I see how lazy/unmotivated/out of touch it makes them. So to see people like him go through all that and still be making good music, not just good but like you said have a musical vision, that shit's impressive.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 1