Post Pop Depression - Iggy Pop

Len Cnut

On 4/5/2016 at 6:12 AM, wasted said:

Yes I've listened to it. It reminds me of David Lynch's last album. It's like recorded in Karen O's basement. It has that Warhol Velvet underground vibe. 

Yeah him and Josh chilled out in the desert for like 2 weeks and just banged the album out. For some reason when the good ones do stuff like that, the results are usually special. All Eyez on Me, double album, 14 days, Pac never left the studio.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J Dog said:

For the first part, yeah I see what you mean. I first got into the first Stooges albums then kind of didn't check anything out by Iggy until later. When I finally did it was like, well this is different. I think it was Lust for Life, I was just impressed how natural he sounded doing something different. None of it really sounds forced either like with a lot of other artists. Whether different or weird, it all still sounds true. Post Pop Depression sounds like Iggy Pop.

The second part, people like that amaze me. Maybe it's because I know people like that, and I see how lazy/unmotivated/out of touch it makes them. So to see people like him go through all that and still be making good music, not just good but like you said have a musical vision, that shit's impressive.

Yeah...not only that but, yknow, you have any number of junkie rockstars...but the sheer depth of his self destruction and self abuse was like...fucked up, it werent some rich guy with more money than sense, he was jus sheer down and out.  And also, behind everything he does, EVERYTHING, there is an artistic motivation, a weight of intellect, a wit, a purpose, even cutting himself and getting his dick out, its not just some random shit, hes a highly intelligent, well read, thoughtful and focused human being...even at his craziest he was that...and his craziest beats everyone out there, including people like GG, for all that people sing him up GG was just a moron, Iggy has a point and a purpose ALWAYS.

15 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah him and Josh chilled out in the desert for like 2 weeks and just banged the album out. For some reason when the good ones do stuff like that, the results are usually special. All Eyez on Me, double album, 14 days, Pac never left the studio.

Bowie also said Iggy tended to improvise all his lyrics on the spot, which i find mindblowing cuz i think his lyrics are the most underrated out there.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2016 at 8:36 AM, Len B'stard said:

Word is this tour might be his last.

I'm just assuming from age and wear and tear. I gotta say, in that interview where him and Josh sort of announce Post Pop Depression, that's one of the first times where I thought, damn, Iggy is old.

14 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I'm just assuming from age and wear and tear. I gotta say, in that interview where him and Josh sort of announce Post Pop Depression, that's one of the first times where I thought, damn, Iggy is old.

Last time i saw him was 2010 and he was FUCKING mental, best rock n roll show i ever been to, he was into the crowd like six times, sweating, bleeding, running, jumping, just doing it all, even landed on me during a stage dive, the cunt :lol:  He even incited a stage invasion and had like 50 or so people onstage with him losing their shit, one of was my cousin (i tried but a particularly enthusiastic security guard kept me at bay :lol:).  It was crazy though, he played all the way through Raw Power then some Funhouse tracks then a bunch of obscure B sides that i could never have dreamt in my wildest that I would've ever lived to see The Stooges play live.  It's why it makes me laugh why people on here go on about Axl and stage presence and performance, they just haven't got a fuckin' clue.  

What was funnier was listening to the security before the show, i was up front nice and early (cuz i weren't missing a second of this for all the tea in the pot) and this security guy was briefing this guy obviously new on the job and he was like:

'do you know anyfing about this fella?  He's a bit a fuckin' wrong un, a bit mental, know what i mean?  He'll be all over the place, up the walls, down the sides, into the crowd.  His trousers come down, all sorts.  Bit of a dirty fucker too, sweating, bleeding and that.  If he gets in the crowd we gotta yank him out but if the old keks come down then fuck him'

:lol:

My cousin was drunk as fuck and so patronising to em too, this security guard (who was black), he'd recently got his security badge so he was like 'where's your badge, it's meant to be displayed, y'know if it ain't on your arm you can fined xxxx' and i'm like 'shut the fuck up, please!', last thing you wanna do is piss off security eh?  He was even like 'do you even like Iggy, what kinda music do you like, do you like hip hop?' :facepalm:  I think thats why he made a point of stopping me during the stage invasion, i grabbed the barriers and tried to vault over and this guy put both hands of my chest and shoved me back so hard i went flying.  Had another go and it was the same result and he just wagged his finger at me like 'not tonight sunshine' :lol:  Problem with being 6'4 is nothing you do looks discreet or graceful :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:00 PM, Len B'stard said:

Has anybody else heard this album?  Opinions? I think its fucking brilliant.  And i really mean that, its mindblowingly good, a lazy description might be a return to The Idiot or Lust for Life era forum but its different.  Joshua Homme is in there with him and its ummm...one of the reviews called it obssessed with sex and death.  It was made between January and March and released a week or so ago.

and would you believe it, its top of the charts, a raw authentic garage rock kind of album is top of the billboard charts...and its Iggy, who never tops the charts.  Its a really unique and authentic and...i dunno, its album strange to hear a seriously quality garage rock type album in 2016, let alone one top of the charts.

If you've not heard this you should REALLY give it a go.  And pay for it if you can, support good music.

I'll give it a go and I especially agree with the last bit about paying for it. I don't pay for everything, but I always pay when its worth it.