Slash's Demeanor Last Night At The Troubadour

1 hour ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

He'll look more alive in Vegas. He just performed with Axl for the first time in 23 years and performed with Frank and Fortus who he hadn't played a live show with prior to last night. Plus it was a small crowd. Bigger crowd = more energy and more energy = a more active and badass Slash 

yeah we will have 20,000 of us screaming and going crazy in Vegas! they will feed upon that and it will be awesome. plus they have one reunited show behind them so that takes a lot of pressure off IMO. I.CANNOT.WAIT!!!!!!!:headbang:

He just seemed to be focused and into what he was playing.

I think the comments about emotions running high are probably spot on. It was his first show with Axl in 23 years, in a club that has a lot of significance to the band's history. I would imagine that all sorts of emotions were there for ASD, and they would be robots if some of them didn't filter through to the show.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mashandflutter said:

That's me.

Dude I love your channel! I learned What Do You Want To Be and Avalon! For the most part.... haha

Edit: You should do some GNR related lessons along with the Slash stuff. Most GNR guitar lessons don't get the parts right or don't have the right feel :(. I know it's a lot of work, though. Keep rockin!

Edited by Ant

I don't think it helps all this speculation that, after all those years of mudslinging and open hostility, the guys have patched things up so...quietly. It just kind of happened and suddenly they're hitting the road again, with no real explanation. I could see why that'd make people suspicious of the guys' every movement.

2 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Here's the thing:  We tend to forget that our favorite professional worldwide-known musicians are humans too.  They also get nervous, anxious -- like everybody else.  Slash has always been a shy person.  Back in the day when REAL Guns N' Roses ruled the world, he had drugs and alcohol helping him more relaxed and free.  Not anymore.

I remember his performance when REAL Guns N' Roses were inducted into the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame, he was nervous too.  He gave a very nervous-like speech.  His playing was a bit off at times and he looked laser-like focus, which is exactly the same term the OP used to describe this first performance of Guns since Argentina, 1993.

It will take him some time to 'get used' to it.  Or, better said, to get back to what it once was.  In my opinion he was just focused on not fucking it up.  I know, he has played most of these songs, his own songs, songs that he has written, a million times, but have we never failed at doing something we have done countless times?  I know I have, and that's specially when I get nervous.

Let's not forget that these gentlemen are humans, too.  For what I have seen, and I have not seen too much, Slash killed the fucking show.  We'll see a more 'loosen up' Slash as the tour unfolds and more venues are played but he's a beast playing guitar and his playing has never been better.  He's killing it left and right.  Day and night.

To be honest, there's no "I have to prove to something to Axl" yada yada bullshit going on.  They're playing together again.  The end.

Out of curiosity, is what we have now, the current lineup, "REAL Guns N' Roses" to you, or is it just another variation of "FAKE Guns N' Roses"? :-D

Slash knows the stakes... Slash has to live up to professionalism and playing abilty of the former GnR members he's replacing like Ashba. He knows that one wrong note or one late melody would get him thrown out in an instant. Axl isn't going to put up with people in his band screwing up songs. :lol:

2 hours ago, SlashisGOD said:

Jesus Christ, Axl and Slash just played together again for the first time in 23 fucking years and all this speculation that it's already going to hell? 

I don't think the OP meant that.  He just over-analyzed, CSI:GNR'ed Slash's demeanor.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chevelle said:

I don't think it helps all this speculation that, after all those years of mudslinging and open hostility, the guys have patched things up so...quietly. It just kind of happened and suddenly they're hitting the road again, with no real explanation. I could see why that'd make people suspicious of the guys' every movement.

Also, we don't know 'since when' things were fine between Axl and Slash.  We think it's been a recent event but I would say things were "normal" between the two since 2013 at least.

When Slash started looking for his 1990 Goldtop Les Paul - which he primarily used to play November Rain, Estranged - I thought something was up but I considered the idea of Axl really talking to Slash again to be 0% so, I completely forgot about it lol.

I think he was nervous as fuck and anxious over playing some of those songs for the first time for 23 years and some first time ever.

He was focused on playing and impressed me. 

Its alot of pressure for those guys. 

Some of you analyze things waaay too deeply. Slash is on a small stage, concentrating on his playing and by all accounts completely smashed it (as did the rest of the band).

But all of a sudden because he didn't high five Axl after every song he looks depressed and may be down about his divorce and Lemmy dying? 

Gimme a fuckin break

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Dude I love your channel! I learned What Do You Want To Be and Avalon! For the most part.... haha

Edit: You should do some GNR related lessons along with the Slash stuff. Most GNR guitar lessons don't get the parts right or don't have the right feel :(. I know it's a lot of work, though. Keep rockin!

Thanks man, I sincerely appreciate that, and I'm humbled that you learned something from my channel. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time in the last year to devote to creating new videos. However, if GnR were to write some new material, that would inspire me to make a lesson video, or do a cover at the very least.  

4 hours ago, killuridols said:

I was not an Slash follower of his solo career

And that's it. I can tell you, there's a lot of interaction between him and Myles or Todd. He's having a blast with every single show cause he does not have to worry about his frontman's vocals condition or his drummer playing in time ;) We've seen like 3 minutes of footage so far and people are making such threads and comments, ridiculous.

• Like 1

He looked subdued when compared with the old shows of Guns but that is probably because he is no longer on the booze and drugs. In the old days he would get bladdered and pull all the fancy 'rock god' shapes to impress the crowd. These days he is more professional.

If you watch Made in Stoke he carries the same demeanor.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Its nerves pure & simple.

Slash being so focused is a bi-product of wanting to do great and wanting to validate the hype of having him back in GNR to Axl and the fans of NuGnr, Classic GNR, casual fans, industry people, the people writing checks for their tour & festivals and everything in between. Lets face it, Slash probably feels a little pressure to do great for the fans that came on board during the Chinese Democracy Era as well, showing these people why Slash is SLASH. 

Its the first show! of course you want it to be perfect & not mess up!. If you're on a Foot Ball team, you certainly don't want to lose your season opener!. Slash will be Slash as this thing goes on he will feel more comfortable, but the first gig was a big deal to get right!. Lets face it, not even Axl or Slash probably knew they would do as great as they did as a band, 23 years of expectations...

I agree with most of the above, a combo of nerves, sense of occasion and focus. They clearly did what they could to avoid footage leaking out, no doubt the last thing they wanted was potentially hundreds of YT videos  of 'slash fucks up SCOM solo' or similar (not that it was likely to happen, he's not DJ :lol:). This is why he was so focused - it was a big deal to them too.

Get a fricking life, will ya. My god, if I read shit like this, or the 'Axl wears a Mickey Mouse, must mean something' comments, I really think you people spend way too much time outside of the real world. Seems to me everyone was focussed on delivering a great warmup show, nothing more. And the fact that Axl wears a Mickey Mouse shirt has no meaning. It's a USD380,- P. Plein designer shirt and he has the money to buy it, that's why he's wearing.

This was probably the most scrutinised performance they would  ever perform. This thread shows how people are not just looking to seek how well they played.

As others have said, nerves would play a massive part . Slash isn't known to be the most vocal of members on stage.  He lets his playing do the talking.

I think had there been more interaction between him and Axl it would have been analysed as false/forced anyway.

Its going to take time for them to find and fall into their new, natural place in the band as older, wiser musicians with a lot of history.