06/23/16 - Detroit - Ford Field (More Pre-Party Info, Pg 10)

downzy

Just heading to bed since I need to be up in 4 hours to drive home, but generally speaking I enjoyed it. Not my favorite GN'R gig I've seen though, as most people tried to tell me it would be - I'm convinced that honor will always belong to the 6/6/14 show. This was somewhere in my top 5 though I'd say. 

I'll give more of my thoughts tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Eh fuck it, I can't sleep so I'll write a review

In short, I (surprise, surprise) loved the show. Greatest fucking show ever. Started the day early at Russ' party. Had such a blast spinning records and meeting everyone both new and old. My gf even stopped by for a few minutes. Yay for me.

I headed to the venue at about 5 ish but because of traffic didn't get into line until 20 minutes before doors opened which was wayyyyy later than I thought. Luckily, everything went really smooth and I got a great rail spot front row on Slash's side.  Lots of my family and friends were at the show but none wanted to splurge on the pit but I met ton of cool people and even people I knew from past shows in the pit. Everyone was super energetic and awesome by my spot throughout the night. I got lucky.

AiC came on and killed it. It was my third time seeing them and I caught a guitar pick at the end this time. The wait for Guns was exciting as always. Any fears about ticket sales quickly were subsided. My jaw dropped seeing Ford Field fill up in between sets. I've been there for ACDC and Lions games and even played on it for 2 high school state championship games but only today did I get a sense of how massive it is. Looking back fro, the pit and seeing such a huge place full was awesome. Guns is really back. They're huge again. It's fucking awesome.

The logo graphic then appeared and the guns kept changing and firing bullets. Really cool to get you hyped. Then, to my shock, the house lights went down. Shortest wait ever. They took the stage at quarter to 10! Crazy! I won't go into specifics for each song, but everything was just top notch. All the kinks from the April shows - tempos, drumming, volume levels, song arrangments, etc were ironed out to a T. This was just a stellar performance. Axl's energy level and voice was surreal, Slash was Slash, Duff was active as ever, and the rest of the band was stellar. Frank in particular did a great job compared to some of the April shows (which were still great to me).

The setlist was similar to the Vegas show I was at but with Raw Power (cool, eh?) Instead of New Rose, OTGM and The Seeker added, and Don't Cry instead of Patience. It's a varied and great set imo but I agree that they should play Don't Cry AND Patience every show. LALD and Knocking both sounded really good so I say keep them. Either way, everything sounded superb. Tonight's Nightrain was insane, Coma was excellent, Estranged is my personal favorite, Don't Cry sounded awesome, OTGM... fuck it, I loved it all. Oh... this was the BEST This I Love yet, too, imo. I also thought the stage shof was great. Good use of pyro and screen graphics. It's like a modern UYI stage with plenty of room for them to move around.

It also seemed like there was a LOT more interaction between Axl and Slash tonight. Axl in particular went up to Slash a lot, it was great. One of my favorite moments of the show was when Slash was noodling at the end of SCOM and Axl just stood on the other side of the stage staring with this goofy grin. Little shit like that was great to experience up close.

So yeah, superb show. Stellar in every way. If I had one nitpick it would be for them to turn Slash's guitar up during the Coma outro solo.

Can't wait for all of you going to experience this tour!!

Cool mate! Did you go to any of them vegas shows? 

Edited by Gibbo 27

8 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Eh fuck it, I can't sleep so I'll write a review

In short, I (surprise, surprise) loved the show. Greatest fucking show ever. Started the day early at Russ' party. Had such a blast spinning records and meeting everyone both new and old. My gf even stopped by for a few minutes. Yay for me.

I headed to the venue at about 5 ish but because of traffic didn't get into line until 20 minutes before doors opened which was wayyyyy later than I thought. Luckily, everything went really smooth and I got a great rail spot front row on Slash's side.  Lots of my family and friends were at the show but none wanted to splurge on the pit but I met ton of cool people and even people I knew from past shows in the pit. Everyone was super energetic and awesome by my spot throughout the night. I got lucky.

AiC came on and killed it. It was my third time seeing them and I caught a guitar pick at the end this time. The wait for Guns was exciting as always. Any fears about ticket sales quickly were subsided. My jaw dropped seeing Ford Field fill up in between sets. I've been there for ACDC and Lions games and even played on it for 2 high school state championship games but only today did I get a sense of how massive it is. Looking back fro, the pit and seeing such a huge place full was awesome. Guns is really back. They're huge again. It's fucking awesome.

The logo graphic then appeared and the guns kept changing and firing bullets. Really cool to get you hyped. Then, to my shock, the house lights went down. Shortest wait ever. They took the stage at quarter to 10! Crazy! I won't go into specifics for each song, but everything was just top notch. All the kinks from the April shows - tempos, drumming, volume levels, song arrangments, etc were ironed out to a T. This was just a stellar performance. Axl's energy level and voice was surreal, Slash was Slash, Duff was active as ever, and the rest of the band was stellar. Frank in particular did a great job compared to some of the April shows (which were still great to me).

The setlist was similar to the Vegas show I was at but with Raw Power (cool, eh?) Instead of New Rose, OTGM and The Seeker added, and Don't Cry instead of Patience. It's a varied and great set imo but I agree that they should play Don't Cry AND Patience every show. LALD and Knocking both sounded really good so I say keep them. Either way, everything sounded superb. Tonight's Nightrain was insane, Coma was excellent, Estranged is my personal favorite, Don't Cry sounded awesome, OTGM... fuck it, I loved it all. Oh... this was the BEST This I Love yet, too, imo. I also thought the stage shof was great. Good use of pyro and screen graphics. It's like a modern UYI stage with plenty of room for them to move around.

It also seemed like there was a LOT more interaction between Axl and Slash tonight. Axl in particular went up to Slash a lot, it was great. One of my favorite moments of the show was when Slash was noodling at the end of SCOM and Axl just stood on the other side of the stage staring with this goofy grin. Little shit like that was great to experience up close.

So yeah, superb show. Stellar in every way. If I had one nitpick it would be for them to turn Slash's guitar up during the Coma outro solo.

Can't wait for all of you going to experience this tour!!

out of likes, but thanks!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gibbo 27 said:

Cool mate! Did you go to any of them vegas shows? 

Yes! Went to the first niht. Absolute special trip and show, will never forget a second of it. This show was even better performance wise, though. Sooooo fuckinggg good lol

• Like 1

Cool review :  http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160624/review-guns-n-roses-tour-kickoff-blows-the-roof-off-at-ford-field

Thanks for all the people giving their own personal reviews! It means alot to us people that can't go to a show...  Great to see GnR sticking it up the people that are against them and Axl is kicking arse !  :-)

• Like 2