06/23/16 - Detroit - Ford Field (More Pre-Party Info, Pg 10)

downzy

I'm not overly impressed with Axl's vocals. Not bad by any means, just not overly impressive. I expected a few of the more rock'n'roll songs to sound a bit like, let's say "Shoot to Thrill", for instance. Performance was very, very similar to the pre Axl/DC shows. 

There is the "AC/DC plays right into his range" defence. I don't really buy that, having fully listened to pretty much every AC/DC show. Axl/DC is far from just high pitched screaming. There is everything there - screaming, big shifts in tone, high range, medium range, and Axl manages to nail all that in full rasp on different songs. Having listened to it several times, I find nothing that suggests he wouldn't be able to sing a song like RQ in full blown rasp.

I guess he is not that excited singing GNR anymore, or maybe won't risk ruining it for the US leg of AC/DC. I think there's also a possibility that he is trying to closely emulate the studio sound - unlike some people thing, those are very rarely too raspy. I'm a bit bummed by it, expected a bit more, but it's all good still. I'm glad to be witnessing this, it's great.

6 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I'm not overly impressed with Axl's vocals. Not bad by any means, just not overly impressive. I expected a few of the more rock'n'roll songs to sound a bit like, let's say "Shoot to Thrill", for instance. Performance was very, very similar to the pre Axl/DC shows. 

There is the "AC/DC plays right into his range" defence. I don't really buy that, having fully listened to pretty much every AC/DC show. Axl/DC is far from just high pitched screaming. There is everything there - screaming, big shifts in tone, high range, medium range, and Axl manages to nail all that in full rasp on different songs. Having listened to it several times, I find nothing that suggests he wouldn't be able to sing a song like RQ in full blown rasp.

I guess he is not that excited singing GNR anymore, or maybe won't risk ruining it for the US leg of AC/DC. I think there's also a possibility that he is trying to closely emulate the studio sound - unlike some people thing, those are very rarely too raspy. I'm a bit bummed by it, expected a bit more, but it's all good still. I'm glad to be witnessing this, it's great.

Yes this, I think somewhere deep down he knows he cant go full 100% for a full show, because that could harm him in the long run. But then honestly he never/very rarely did a quality vocal performance of a full show, either for unknown reasons or because he was always running around the stage as if his ass was on fire :) 

Edited by DocArunas

Sorry ... but this... sounds like ... work ...

good days work  absolutely ...

i dont see were they light eachother on fire just for being with eachother playing music again ... looks like they know what is expected and is delivered...

Bottom line: its for the fans and its a good thing to give back to the fans ... thats what you do....when you in a big huge band lije gnr with people devoting their life to the band.... you give back ...

but i .... didnt see sparx flying ....

Doesnt mean they not back tigether for god and many records coming ...  it just mean that i did not see it ...feel it .....

nothing more...

Edited by night prowler
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, night prowler said:

Sorry ... but this... sounds like ... work ...

good days work  absolutely ...

i dont see were they light eachother on fire just for being with eachother playing music again ... looks like they know what is expected and is delivered...

Bottom line: its for the fans and its a good thing to give back to the fans ... thats what you do....when you in a big huge band lije gnr with people devoting their life to the band.... you give back ...

but i .... didnt see sparx flying ....

Doesnt mean they not back tigether for god and many records coming ...  it just mean that i did not see it ...fell it .....

nothing more...

i hope so...last sentence i mean :)

I'm just seeing the videos now, and I agree it was a good performance. Band sounds great, tempos are much better, the guitar tones are amazing, they're as tight as ever.

Axl delivered a good performance, but not Axl/DC level. And don't come with 'Guns is harder to sing than AC/DC'. It's not that. I can't understand why we can't get a better RQ, or at least a fuckin raspy outro of Estranged, when he sings BIB and Thunderstruck the way he does. I expected more from him vocally.

Nevertheless I really think the show was good, and I really loved the chemistry that was going on stage :wub:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

This is going to be the last I say about a new album in this thread because the conversation doesn't belong here and it's disrupting an otherwise mostly positive thread about the show.

I guess people will read what they want into the China Exchange interview.  A nuguns fan will take Axl saying he had Slash and Duff listen to some of his material and saying they liked it as "Chinese Democracy 2 coming out" where as a more realistic fan of the band will view it for exactly what it is...

...Axl, Slash and Duff could possibly collaborate on a new album that may feature some material that Axl wrote during the CD era. A far cry from "CD 2 starts now".

;)

No one said CD 2 starts now. I don't want to derail the thread but don't present it like it's more realistic that Axl, Slash, and Duff will mostly collaborate on a new album from scratch and will add a few songs from the vault when we know Axl said Slash may or may not be a part of it, that Axl enjoys singing the Chinese material the most live and that he is a fan of the previous line up and all sorts of shit that at least insinuates Axl has no plans of leaving the CD era material behind. You think he'll give up the best songs from the vault when he has 3 albums worth of material or even 1? please...

He played Slash and Duff some of it and shared that information with the fans. I think that's at least an indication that it's more likely that a considerable amount of the album will be made up of Chinese era tunes or reworked vault material.

We don't really know, but it sure as fuck doesn't point to mostly an album made up of Slash and Duff tunes. It's like you've ignored and/or misinterpreted everything we've learned recently. ;)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I really don't get why people are complaining, like yeah ok I do understand he had a very shitty voice from 2011 to 2014 and the band just din't sound like GNR and totally butchered the songs. But man this show was the best show since the AFD era.

They sounded so awesome, like man the GNR sound is back, Axl sounds really great.

Its weird some people are saying he sounded better with AC/DC, I just found it weird cause most prob. Im used to Brian on AC/DC songs.

I just hope Axl maintains this voice cause man this was perfect.

All of this is coming from a person who hated how nugnr played GNR songs. Now when they sound so good then there is nothing to complain.

Im not a fan of Frank, but yeah he did a good job, but as a fan I would want Steven back just cause he really deserves to be there, the dude has been crying for a reunion since the past 20 years.

• Like 3