06/23/16 - Detroit - Ford Field (More Pre-Party Info, Pg 10)

downzy

44 minutes ago, Your Illusion said:

Totally agree with you.
He can still sing powerfully gnr songs just like 2010. There was 1 show he song november rain with rasp. I think it was bucharest. It was the best november rain since 1993.
acdc is 2010 power axl.
He can still sing gnr songs like in 2010. But he prefers not to do. It's strange.

This is acdc axl voice. I haven't heard Rocket queen like this in this tour.

he sounds good during the main part of the song, but still sounds super mickey on the coda.  also, this was a long time ago.

6 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

For those of us that were ACTUALLY at the show, we all say the same things. It was a fucking amazing concert. Was Axl (album) quality perfect? No. Was he still fucking great? Yes. Did he give it all he had? Yes. Is he somehow "trying" harder in AC/DC? No. He did not hold anything back, not from what I could see. I wasn't as close as ZOSO, but I was still pretty damn close. He was in a great, yes GREAT mood all night, cracking jokes, smiling, just plain having a good time. Did I notice 2 or 3 times where I thought "those vocals weren't amazing?" sure, but that was only a couple of tumes, most of the time I was blown away by how he sounded. He sounded really, really fucking good everybody. 

I had family at this show (aunt and uncle). I had some friends also at this show (not counting my peeps from the forum). And seriously EVERYBODY is saying the same thing "best concert ever." My aunt and uncle in particular are by NO means Axl loyalists. They would say he sucked if they thought he sucked. But they keep posting pics and sending me texts about how awesome the show was. It had THAT kind of effect on everybody that went. We all walked away feeling like we just witnessed magic. The likes of which NO other band on the planet can match.

+1

The only small negative I'd add to that description is Axl had practically no interaction with the crowd between songs.  The songs came one after another like machine gun blasts for 2 hours w/o any dialog between.  For people like @ZoSoRose that were in the pit and could see Axl's face and gestures on stage, that may have offset Axl's general lack of vocal charisma/rapport with the larger crowd between songs.  I was in the $150 seats - stage right, 3 sections back from stage, 4th row - and I couldn't see his facial expressions or other gestures very well unless he was up on the HD boards (which were very good BTW).  I think that's one of the downsides of these arena tours -- even the good seats are pretty far from the stage, unlike many outdoor festivals.  After seeing how well behaved the pit was, I kinda wished I'd have grabbed tickets down there.

3 hours ago, PITBOSS said:

To the folks that attended,  was it loud enough? My main beef with Vegas is that it wasn't very loud. 

I had no complaints.  I've been to much louder concerts, but didn't find myself wishing it was louder.  From an audio mix perspective, I found the drum level to be too high, Slash's guitar about right (maybe a shy quiet), and Axl's voice a little too low when he sang/talked (fine when shouting).... but that's just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, BatVin said:

These complaints about Axl sounding better with AC/DC are just nuts. Whenever you hear Axl with GNR sounding weak, think whether the stuff he's singing at the moment could be done with the kind of register you remember sounding great from AC/DC. Of course not. It's because the GNR material is very versatile and you can't just scream your way through it + it's often much more difficult in terms of breathing. 

i have always thought this as one of the reasons...

We were in the club seats in the back corner, and it could've been louder. We couldn't understand a word Axl was saying when talking to the crowd...but that stuff happens in stadiums, especially ones with roofs. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

We couldn't understand a word Axl was saying when talking to the crowd...but that stuff happens in stadiums, especially ones with roofs. 

Agreed.  His level when talking was low, plus they still had whatever effects turned on when he said a word or phrase in between (reverb, etc.).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

@KURT19, @ZoSoRose, @downzy, @Wagszilla and myself are all pictured above. @Powerage5 is in there too and he has far better pre-party pics than I do!

Out of likes but the one when you're drunk as fuck with your wife is really great! also: I still remember the Ashba incident with your wife so it's nice to finally see what she looks like. Now I can replay a more accurate scenario in my head where she told him off about his This I Love solo and his inability to play it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

Out of likes but the one when you're drunk as fuck with your wife is really great! also: I still remember the Ashba incident with your wife so it's nice to finally see what she looks like. Now I can replay a more accurate scenario in my head where she told him off about his This I Love solo and his inability to play it.

She's just the best. I got to tell that story more than a few times on Thursday :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

I never said the show sucked. I think it is the best show since 1993 Argentina. I think fake GNR was a complete joke even when Axl had strong vocals in 2010. So Axl doesn't have to be 100% vocally for the show to kick ass. The entire band was tight(except for Frank) and they put on an entertaining show. For the first time in 23 years, we got a GNR concert. I can't wait for the San Diego show. I am more excited about  it after watching this Detroit concert.

My problem with Axl is that we now have something else to compare his vocals. Had Axl never joined ACDC, I would have been praising him for his vocals with GN on Thursday. I would have assumed that he has lost the power in his voice, but still put on a great effort. Many of us got really excited listening to the ACDC shows because we figured his vocal coach and motivation had improved his voice and he was going transfer that to the GNR tour. We assumed he was going to be vocally stronger than he was at Coachella. Obviously that didn't happen and people are making excuses for it now. 

this notion that Axl is not using rasp because the recordings on the album didn't have any is ridiculous. If that was the case he wouldn't use rasp on any of the GNR songs he sang on Thursday. The fact of the matter is he did use rasp on a few and sounded good. That to me tells me that he is intentionally turning it off on some songs. Why would Axl prefer to sing in his clean voice if he was trying to sound good? He no longer has a powerful clean voice, he lost that many years ago. His clean voice is so weak it is cringeworthy. I think he knows this, but just doesn't care.Axl is a mystery to me. What was his motivation to sing powerfully in 2010? Why did he turn it on? Why now that he is reunited with Duff and Slash is it not motivation/incentive to return to that voice? I have no idea. 

The Axl of ACDC is the Axl of GNR of 2010. He can choose to go to that voice whenever he wants. This to me angers me a bit. Axl could sing paradise city strongly if he wanted to. 

This is how I feel about the situation, and I am sure many will disagree.

p.s Somebody tell Axl to stop singing during Slash guitar parts at the beginning of PC. It sounds silly and it messes everything up for the whistle part.

My thoughts exactly!

Just now, RussTCB said:

Short version: She walked up to DJ(tm) backstage on the 2011 tour, pointed at me across the room started talking. I quickly ran across the room to hear her at the tail end of asking DJ why he doesn't play the TIL solo right. She was like "...and I know he would never want me to ask, but I'm going to anyway because he gets SOOOOOO mad every time you do it" :lol::lol:

He then went into a long winded story as to why he can't do it which basically amounts to "I don't have to talent". I do give him credit though because he couldn't just been like "Because go fuck yourself, that's why" but he was actually really nice to her about it. 

haha your wife has bollocks!! 

( thats a good thing,lol, not an insult)

• Like 1