06/26/16 - Washington D.C - Fedex Field

downzy

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

Well, for starters his voice shouldn't be raspy on SCOM because the song HAS NO RASP IN IT TO BEGIN WITH.  And pretty much the same thing with November Rain.

Please stop with all this rasp no rasp bs already. 

Great minds think alike Alex :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gnr estranged said:

It wasn't tarped off but there was no one up there, you can see it in this pic i took of jerry cantrell.

IMG_8833.JPG

The upper deck, red seats, was closed and people were allowed to go down to the next level below, maroon and yellow seats.  The purple and green colors above the red seats are seats that the stadium closed up/took away so that they could still consider games as sold out even though they had 20,000 empty seats. A little shady but I guess it has to do with TV and blackouts NFL rules or some shit.  The place was packed on the floor, first level, and second level.  It would have not looked as good or full if the upper level red seats weren't allowed to move down.

True, AFD version of SCOM does not have rasp, but in also does not sound anything like Mickey, so it is different.  It was also nearly 30 years ago, so I in no way expect it him to sound that way now.  I'd say he sounds better now on SCOM than he did in the UYI tours, which sounded nothing like AFD either.  

3 minutes ago, exnavymike said:

The upper deck, red seats, was closed and people were allowed to go down to the next level below, maroon and yellow seats.  The purple and green colors above the red seats are seats that the stadium closed up/took away so that they could still consider games as sold out even though they had 20,000 empty seats. A little shady but I guess it has to do with TV and blackouts NFL rules or some shit.  The place was packed on the floor, first level, and second level.  It would have not looked as good or full if the upper level red seats weren't allowed to move down.

yep, I think this was actually the largest NFL stadium before they covered those seats up top.

You say its been 30 years, well yeah you are right. But when he started performing after 8 years in 2001 he sounded bad. He recovered his voice in 2006. maybe he will recover again to the classic axl voice, btw im not saying he sounds bad now, dont get me wrong he sounds amazing. But 2006 was a incredible year for him, I hope that will happen again. And he should lose some weight... He doesnt look fit at all l

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

He sounds good in SCOM now. That one improved a lot and its true, it wasn't recorded with rasp.

Better sounds mickey though :( and it recorded with some rasp.

Once again lack of rasp does not equate to Mickey.  

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Last night Better sounded like Mickey.

And I said not all Better was recorded with rasp, just some parts, but the main verses are not clean voice either.

Yeah he didn't sound good on the verses of Better last night. His tone is way off.

Sorry to interrupt this discussion a bit, but, does anyone know what time the merch trucks started opening up?  Were there any outside the stadium in either DC or Detroit?  Looking to get the Chicago specific shirts this weekend, and was going try and walk around the stadium in the afternoon on Friday.

Most people dont care if he uses rasp or not, people just want the band and axl to sound good and as of right now, axl still sounds like absolute shit in SCOM and November rain....axl's nasally and weak voice for those 2 songs doesnt equate to anything near the studio versions regardless of not using rasp for both. It's quite obvious after watching the acdc shows, he is 100% capable of sounding great it just pisses a lot of us off when he resorts to the nasally falsetto in a lot gnr songs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, QC GNR 57 said:

Sorry to interrupt this discussion a bit, but, does anyone know what time the merch trucks started opening up?  Were there any outside the stadium in either DC or Detroit?  Looking to get the Chicago specific shirts this weekend, and was going try and walk around the stadium in the afternoon on Friday.

They were outside the stadium, not sure when they open but they were upon when I got there at 6..

• Like 1

The problem isn't really the lack of rasp. Like I said above, its the tone he sings in when not using the rasp is the problem. As people noted, there is no rasp on the studio vocal for Sweet Child. If he sang with that tone live it would sound right. The tone he is using makes his voice sound weak. Rasp really has nothing to do with it.

2 hours ago, Apollo said:

I don't know, bruh. This guy seems to nail it.

That was atrocious! He's out of tune and out of time. Nevermind the fact that he screws up the words.

It is a very difficult outro to sing in your car without getting out of breathe. YCBM outro might be even tougher actually. 

I sing and I've had years of training when I was younger. There are exercises you do to be able to stretch out notes while limiting the breathes you need and you learn when you can sneak a breathe in. In all the years of gnr cover bands and youtube videos I've yet to see someone match my Axl rasp. I struggle with the breathing now that I don't get regular training. Your vocals cord is a muscle. It is only natural that with the throat surgery and all the years of inactivity Axl would suffer a bit but that's why he has a vocal coach. When he is on his game it is quite obvious he has training and doesn't just roll out of bed one day and decides to go tour the world.  

You can't expect Axl to run around for 3hrs at 54 and nail it each and every time. As the tour rolls along his vocal cord will strengthen, he will be in better shape physically and won't get out of breathe as much.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Last night Better sounded like Mickey.

And I said not all Better was recorded with rasp, just some parts, but the main verses are not clean voice either.

I understand, but to me....i listened to studio version of better and last nights version back to back.  They sound very similar to me with the exception of the rasp missing.  I just don't think that's Mickey voice like we've seen in the past (rio, bridge school, etc).  It's just a song with high pitch in places intentionally.

29 minutes ago, exnavymike said:

It's not that we were allowed to move down ... We had to move down. They made us exchange our 400 level tickets for 300 level ones. We had no choice, as they closed off the entire upper level. It was quite a clusterfuck, as no one knew this until we got to the top level and found a massive line waiting for us to swap out the tickets. 

2 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I understand, but to me....i listened to studio version of better and last nights version back to back.  They sound very similar to me with the exception of the rasp missing.  I just don't think that's Mickey voice like we've seen in the past (rio, bridge school, etc).  It's just a song with high pitch in places intentionally.

I have to listen again because to be honest i just listened to it once, from the periscope last night and I was cringing. He sang Better better (lol) in Vegas, I think.

Call it mickey or whatever but yes, it was a weak voice like a little kid, nothing to do with how is sounds in the album.

9 minutes ago, Loseyourillusions98 said:

Most people dont care if he uses rasp or not, people just want the band and axl to sound good and as of right now, axl still sounds like absolute shit in SCOM and November rain....axl's nasally and weak voice for those 2 songs doesnt equate to anything near the studio versions regardless of not using rasp for both. It's quite obvious after watching the acdc shows, he is 100% capable of sounding great it just pisses a lot of us off when he resorts to the nasally falsetto in a lot gnr songs.

exactly!

11 minutes ago, Loseyourillusions98 said:

This, to me, is flawed thinking.   The reason he sounds better with AC/DC is bc those songs are generally easier to sing.  They have nothing that is challenging like Coma or YCBM.

He sounds great on less challenging songs is the conclusion I personally draw.

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I have to listen again because to be honest i just listened to it once, from the periscope last night and I was cringing. He sang Better better (lol) in Vegas, I think.

Call it mickey or whatever but yes, it was a weak voice like a little kid, nothing to do with how is sounds in the album.

Right I get that, but I think that's the issue.  I think Mickey voice is she he sounds like Mickey, not every time he's imperfect.