06/26/16 - Washington D.C - Fedex Field

downzy

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

omg that guy Ollie! He's the one who knows us GNR fans veeeery well! :wow:

Hes good at stealing other peoples videos!

Give this credit not a thief

Edited by Gibbo

29 minutes ago, Estranged Reality said:

Yep. Hard not to feel disappointed after some of those AXL/DC videos... 

Yeah. I don't mind clean, but I don't understand it sometimes. It's got nothing to do with a weak mid-range either, listen to Got Some Rock n' Roll Thunder.. all mid-range, nails it.

10 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

Yeah. I don't mind clean, but I don't understand it sometimes. It's got nothing to do with a weak mid-range either, listen to Got Some Rock n' Roll Thunder.. all mid-range, nails it.

There is some reason to it, but I think we'll never know. With AC/DC he sounds like he is straight from the 90's. Wi Guns he is doing great, but a good tier below.

Listen to YSMANL, if there is a song I thought he'd be weak on it was this one and yet he nailed it with a mix of clean and rasp. He's trying to sing like he's 26 with gnr but he really needs to take the two or three songs he was bad at with gnr and completely start over instead of falling into his comfort zone.

ACDC took him out of this zone and he had to learn the songs from the ground up, the result was some great vocal work that stays true to his current abilities 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

Listen to YSMANL, if there is a song I thought he'd be weak on it was this one and yet he nailed it with a mix of clean and rasp. He's trying to sing like he's 26 with gnr but he really needs to take the two or three songs he was bad at with gnr and completely start over instead of falling into his comfort zone.

ACDC took him out of this zone and he had to learn the songs from the ground up, the result was some great vocal work that stays true to his current abilities 

That makes sense. I wonder if he uses different mechanics and techniques with both bands - with AC/DC, he had to learn the songs from scratch, and apply to them techniques he's been working on with his vocal coach, achieving a great result. With Guns, maybe he sticks to years old techniques that, given his current age and state of his voice, do not produce such great results at this time, even though he still sounds good for most songs.

I think he is enjoying himself and trying to sound as good as he can with both bands, but vocal chords are muscles, and muscle memory and decade old habits of doing things in a certain a way can play a role. YSMANL is a great a example, lot of shifts in tone, middle range used, nailed for the most part. If you want blood and Shoot to thrill are others. Then there are the mostrous Thundestrucks, HB, and BIB, which are different ranges style. Still, even his titanic moments with GNR are less titanic than those with AC/DC.

There's still a lot of time on the tour though, maybe something changes. I'm not shitting on him, really, I just think the potential is there for even greater heights. If I'm wrong then whatever, what we've got now is awesome already.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2016 at 7:34 PM, MrSoftie said:

Don't know if anyone's posted this yet:

At the part where Axl was supposed to come in, you can see him standing on the right of the stage watching Slash. He just let him go for it. Very cool.

What the fuck was that? There was no discernible melody whatsoever, it was literally just noodling on the scale, which is cool on fast songs like Nightrain, but all those sixteenth notes on a solo in a slow song like TIL?

Credit where due, Slash has created some amazing guitar solos in his time, but that is not one of them.

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

What the fuck was that? There was no discernible melody whatsoever, it was literally just noodling on the scale, which is cool on fast songs like Nightrain, but all those sixteenth notes on a solo in a slow song like TIL?

Credit where due, Slash has created some amazing guitar solos in his time, but that is not one of them.

I think he killed it (in a good way).  I'll always cherish the Finck solo. But slash just took it somewhere new and that's exciting in a weird way. 

• Like 1

I've been wanting to post in this thread for a few days but I've had to wait for my account to be validated. My old username was still available somehow. I posted here a lot about 10 years ago back when I was an angsty teenager. Not sure how many people from back then are still around, but it might be for the best if you guys don't remember me.:lol:

I went to the DC show with a friend who didn't want to pay too much, and I can't blame him, the tickets are expensive, so we wound up with upper deck seats. I was pumped that Alice In Chains was the opener because they're a top 5 band of mine. Unfortunately, I had to miss the first half of the Alice set because of them closing the upper deck and making everyone wait in a line with only 2 people working behind the desk. I appreciate that we got moved down a tier, although I specifically bought seats for Slash's side and we were moved to Duff's side. So that whole situation was pretty annoying. It seems like they could have sent out an email or made some kind of announcement ahead of time so I could have gone in early and not missed part of the show I paid for. Oh well...ANYWAYS...

Once GN'R started, I had to fight back tears for the first half an hour. Seeing those guys on the stage together, running around going crazy with the energy of those first few songs was overwhelming. It's amazing to think about the state of the band when I first joined this forum and what's happening now. It's a great time to be a GN'R fan.

When I first bought the DC tickets, I thought that would be the only show I would be able to attend. Luckily, I'm also going to be able to make the 2 Foxboro shows, so DC was just an appetizer. I'm in the pit for the second show and still figuring out where I'll be for the first one. It's been great to follow the tour so far and I look forward to joining you guys watching the streams each night!

P.S. if anyone does remember me from back in the day, drop me a PM and say hi!

• Like 1

I've finally got around to uploading some videos to youtube, I've got a couple more that I'll add eventually. Pardon the shaky camera and the ladies around me with their shrill screams from time to time.

It's So Easy: https://youtu.be/7INC6Pm1AIQ

Mr. Brownstone: https://youtu.be/ENw6p7DDnPc

WTTJ: https://youtu.be/xsmwMTkNuYc

Double Talkin' Jive: https://youtu.be/N9Oi081dI-Q

Live And Let Die: https://youtu.be/HfV0IMOss_M (I gave Axl a little "COME ON" encouragement before his first yell)

Rocket Queen: https://youtu.be/IMq6451sSeA

You Could Be Mine: https://youtu.be/XbpTyfuGyfo

• Like 2