06/29/16 - Kansas City - Arrowhead Stadium

downzy

1 hour ago, Vissud said:

I don't know what you mean by low turnout.   When I would turn around during the show, it looked like every seat available was full.

The

1 hour ago, Vissud said:

I don't know what you mean by low turnout.   When I would turn around during the show, it looked like every seat available was full.

The

I've heard the whole upper section was closed off. Estimates of 25,000 or so.

6 minutes ago, axlinkafayette said:

If you think this show was less than full...wait till you see Sunday's crowd in chicago, i'll be there, but there won't be more than 20K

I'll be there too - A3 Row 7.  I'm guessing they remove some of the rear floor sections and move those people up - in addition to closing the upper bowl.  Whatever...I'm sure it will be a great show, and it's still impressive to me that they sold that many tickets at those prices, with promotion shortcomings, and with a fairly weak opener.  If they sold 70K between both shows, that's still the equivalent of about 4 United Center sellouts, right?

7 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

Slash is stealing the show in this reunion, big time. His return was clearly the main draw to fans, and personally I'm glad he's upstaging everyone else. Don't really care what Axl sounds like personally because Slash is the main man. GNR fans seeing Slash play the hits again is the #1 draw in this reunion, and instead of trying to cover for Axl's poor vocals, we should be heaping a shit tonne of praise on Slash.

i absolutely agree that Slash is KILLING this reunion but i believe it's the AxLash magic feeding them both!:axl92::heart::slash:

at this point i think i'll see a unicorn swimming alongside the Loch Ness monster going to visit Big Foot :rofl-lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Use Your Delusion II said:

I'll be there too - A3 Row 7.  I'm guessing they remove some of the rear floor sections and move those people up - in addition to closing the upper bowl.  Whatever...I'm sure it will be a great show, and it's still impressive to me that they sold that many tickets at those prices, with promotion shortcomings, and with a fairly weak opener.  If they sold 70K between both shows, that's still the equivalent of about 4 United Center sellouts, right?

Sure...no doubt there

4 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i absolutely agree that Slash is KILLING this reunion but i believe it's the AxLash magic feeding them both!:axl92::heart::slash:

at this point i think i'll see a unicorn swimming alongside the Loch Ness monster going to visit Big Foot :rofl-lol:

Can't wait to see that energy! It's great Slash finally found that sweet tone, Goosebumps will rise when Godfather theme is played.

• Like 1

One more thing I forgot to put on my review.  At the end of the show Axl threw his microphone into the crowd.  It landed pretty close to me in Section C probably row 12 seat 2 or 3.  There was a dog pile of guys jumping in to get that microphone because it slipped through some guys hands and went to the floor.  Axl threw that thing pretty far into the crowd.  If you've got the chance to catch that thing you need to either catch it or get the fuck out of the way.  There were some girls in that area that got hurt.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Un42nutzly said:

Yep! Section 235, can't wait for show day. I know as soon as it begins, it will be over. 

one year i lived in Rocklin Ca where the *barf* SF whiners used to train. anyway i was in one of my DC t -shirts getting gas and i saw all these huge hulking men and they kept kinda glaring at my shirt. as i went to pay i heard the gas station owner saying "Yeah those are them, they come over here a lot ". and then i realized the men were SF players from training camp and they were looking at me like how DARE she wear a Cowboys shirt here?? i laughed and pointed at my shirt as i sauntered by them :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

one year i lived in Rocklin Ca where the *barf* SF whiners used to train. anyway i was in one of my DC t -shirts getting gas and i saw all these huge hulking men and they kept kinda glaring at my shirt. as i went to pay i heard the gas station owner saying "Yeah those are them, they come over here a lot ". and then i realized the men were SF players from training camp and they were looking at me like how DARE she wear a Cowboys shirt here?? i laughed and pointed at my shirt as i sauntered by them :P

WOW! hahahaha Go Cowboys!

• Like 1

Reading all the negative comments about the show last night made me think I was in store for some dreadful videos.  Then I watched a few and Axl didn't sound all that much different to me than he did in the first few shows.  Is it possible that so many people had great things to say about the Detroit and Washington D.C. shows that expectations rose to a level where a letdown was inevitable for some people?

Example: I keep reading how Slash has been improving on his "This I love solo" each show, but I watched my own video from 4/8 and I felt like it was better/tighter that night than some of the recent shows.  The progression of discussion in here was generally:

Slash's version of this solo could be epic -> Eh, too much noodling, This I Love still sucks, he should have played the original version -> Slash's This I Love solo keeps getting better -> This song is one of the highlights now because of Slash

I think we're all crazy...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DizzyReed63 said:

These threads have become insufferable with nit-picky, "This player isn't doing what I want him to do, this song isn't perfect, I demand the GnR I KNOW AND LOVE AND THINK IS THE BEST" comments. Ya know, sometimes bands play a little faster when they're excited and having a good time. And nobody's f'n perfect.

The best part is, 90% or more of the negative comments are people watching on a shitty periscope video. Almost every person that goes to the shows loves it and says it's amazing. Hell, I saw Axl back in 2011 and thought he had a stellar show that night and I really enjoyed it. I can't imagine how great these shows are going to be. Live rock and roll is meant to be seen live and loud. The mix is better in person and the energy is there. I've said it multiple times at this point. As far as nitpicking Axl's voice, it's going to be stronger on certain nights and on certain songs, and weaker on others. It's the nature of the beast. It was even that way in his prime, except back then it was like an overload of rasp instead of clean that made it sound like shit. I watched the first half hour or so of last nights show on periscope and thought it was fucking great, and I've been keeping up with Axl's voice since 2002.

Edited by Ak1nney
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Eddie Money said:

Someone asked about Adler and Izzy - if I knew I would tell you.  It seems that izzy and Matt Sorum may have followed the rapper playbook and wrote a song that may be inflammatory toward their former bandmates.  I have no doubt that they are unhappy about how things went down. I don't know anybody who is close with Sorum but from reading his comments in the press, he seems hurt that he wasn't asked.  I've heard from a guy that I know that izzy was unhappy that he wasn't offered the opportunity to be involved on an equal level to Slash and Duff. I find it hard to believe that Izzy would have wanted to be fully invested and play all of the shows but I don't know izzy.  All I know is that he was offered something and he turned it down. The song is called FP Money. What's that mean? fucking Pussy Money? 

That was me Eddie, thank you for the response! 

Yeah my immediate thought now is , well, since when do Matt Sorum and Izzy Stradlin start writing and recording music together? Hasn't happened since velvet revolver... It is incredibly random.

I think you're right.. I think Sorum is pissed he wasn't asked and I think izzy is pissed they won't deal him back into the partnership, even though izzy stradlin isn't reliable. Stevens silence I still wonder about..

4 hours ago, Eddie Money said:

Someone asked about Adler and Izzy - if I knew I would tell you.  It seems that izzy and Matt Sorum may have followed the rapper playbook and wrote a song that may be inflammatory toward their former bandmates.  I have no doubt that they are unhappy about how things went down. I don't know anybody who is close with Sorum but from reading his comments in the press, he seems hurt that he wasn't asked.  I've heard from a guy that I know that izzy was unhappy that he wasn't offered the opportunity to be involved on an equal level to Slash and Duff. I find it hard to believe that Izzy would have wanted to be fully invested and play all of the shows but I don't know izzy.  All I know is that he was offered something and he turned it down. The song is called FP Money. What's that mean? fucking Pussy Money? 

Marc told me the same thing when I met with him back in April. He said he didn't know for sure cause he hadn't taked to Izzy in a long time, but from what he knows about Izzy, he believes he wanted to be a full time member and get the same as Slash and Duff. Apparently, that offer wans't on the table. Putting these pieces of information together, I believe that's what really happened with Izzy.

I have now seen DTJ, Coma and PC from Youtube and Axl seemed to hold his chest a couple of times during Coma, I wonder if he had some problems with his throat/lungs then? I just hope he doesn't blow his voice or anything like that. He seemed to struggle a bit during Coma but I gotta give thumbs up for him fighting through that absolutely difficult and enormous song, it has to be painfully hard to sing that live after all these years.

Edited by Judezki

17 minutes ago, emybdc said:

Marc told me the same thing when I met with him back in April. He said he didn't know for sure cause he hadn't taked to Izzy in a long time, but from what he knows about Izzy, he believes he wanted to be a full time member and get the same as Slash and Duff. Apparently, that offer wans't on the table. Putting these pieces of information together, I believe that's what really happened with Izzy.

I have mixed emotions about this one.  If Izzy wanted in full time, I'm obviously disappointed they couldn't work it out.  However, Axl would have to be a heartless bastard to kick Fortus out of the band right before their biggest tour in 23 years.  When you work closely with someone for that long, you typically build a relationship beyond professional loyalty.  I personally couldn't do someone dirty like that.

1 hour ago, AFDFan8 said:

Here is my review of the show.  This and 50 cents will get you an unreliable truck stop rubber, so take it for what it's worth.

First and foremost, last night was the best concert I've ever been to and likely the best I will ever go to.  I was on the floor, section B row 8, seat 13.  I don't pay super close attention to how the songs are played to tell you if something was played too fast or too slow.  I drank about 8 beers before I made my way to my seat and I was there to party, not pick apart the performance or video tape the concert on my damn cell phone.  

Crowd:  From my vantage point, the crowd was electric.  There were middle aged men all around me hugging it out as if the last time they felt this way was 1992.  Everyone was on their feet the entire concert and most of the time everyone had their hands in the air screaming out the lyrics to each song.  I sure as shit know that I was.  There was no lack of energy coming from the crowd.  They did close off the entire upper deck and upgraded everyone who bought tickets up there to the main level.  The floor, main level and middle level looked to be 95% full.  Arrowhead holds 80k and I have to guess with the floor being 95% full there was around 40,000 people there.  I wish it would have sold a little better, but it was still a damn good crowd.

Axl: I thought Axl gave the show everything he had and he was amazing.  I appreciate that he played about half the concert with no hat/sunglasses on.  Being able to see his eye's makes it a much more real experience.  He was full of energy and looked to be having a great time.  I am a hard core AFD guy and I have never gotten into the Illusions songs very much, aside from You Could Be Mine and Civil War which in my opinion both still have the AFD Sound.  I have watched the 88 Ritz video in it's entirety about a thousand times.  I've watched a few of the UYI era shows on Youtube and I felt like Axl sounded about the same last night as he did on the UYI tour, which is pretty damn good considering it's 25 years later.  I didn't hear any mickey mouse tone, but his pitch on Sweet Child O' Mine, Rocket Queen and some other AFD songs definitely isn't the same as it was in 1988.   I wish people would stop commenting about Axl's weight.  I heard several people say things last night.  Axl looks fine for his age.  Slash is no thinner than Axl and nobody ever says anything negative about his appearance  Axl sure as shit wasn't lazy on stage last night.  His appearance is just fine  for a 54 year old.  I hope i still have that much hair when I'm 54.  

Slash:  Slash completely owned that show last night.  He was all over the stage and probably got more time on the big screen than anyone else.  He was dripping sweat the entire show and he never took any kind of break in the 2.5 hour set list.  Simply amazing and everything I was hoping to see.  Slash is by far my favorite guitar player and he gave me my money's worth last night.

Duff:  Duff was awesome as well.  He looks great and sounds great.  It is clear that this show is about Duff, Axl and Slash.  There were many times that the three of them were together at the center of the stage with everyone else way in the back out of the spotlight.  I could have done without Duff singing lead on one of the songs, but others around me were clearly into it.

Richard:  He was there and I could hear him playing his parts, but he's nothing special to me.  He was just fine.

Frank:  I wish Steven Adler was there.  I don't see what it would hurt to have Steven play the AFD songs and then have Frank play the rest.  I'm sure he would do it for free and he is clearly capable of handling the job.  Frank is nothing special to me, just another drummer.  The concert would have meant more to me if Steven were there.

Dizzy:  I've never been a fan of having a keyboard player in GNR but if there going to have one, I guess Dizzy is as good as anybody.  I could only really hear him playing on a few songs.  Otherwise I didn't even notice him most of the time.

Punk Rock Chick: I can't remember her name and I really don't know why she's there. I could hear her singing backup on a few songs but I cannot tell you what kind of sound she's adding to the band with her keyboard, headphones and double computer monitors. You could just put her on the side of the stage with a microphone and it would sound the same to me.

I will never give Richard, Frank, Dizzy or the Punk Rock Chick much credit because I don't feel like they deserve it.  They didn't risk it all like the 5 AFD guys did.  They didn't hitch hike their way from California to Seattle just so they could play in front of a crowd.  They didn't damn near starve to death and live in a storage unit.  They didn't go through hell to make it big.  Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven did.  And for that they all have my ultimate respect.

Don't read too much into the order they were standing in when they gave the bow at the end of the show.  Axl is the one who rounded everyone up and it looked like wherever they were standing on the stage at that moment is where they ended up on the line.  No rime or reason to the order.

Setlist:  I agree with most that they need to lose some of the cover songs like the seeker and replace them with their own songs.  I would have liked to hear Yesterdays, My Michelle or any number of GNR songs instead of the covers.  And where the hell is Patience?  How can they use that as the song to announce the tour a few months ago and then not even play it?  That is a huge hit for them and I can't believe it's not in the setlist.  I was super happy to hear Out Ta Get Me.  Like I said earlier I'm a huge AFD guy and I love that song.  My favorite song of the night was You Could Be Mine.  The energy from the crowd was at it's peak when that song was played.  It was awesome just to be a part of that.  I missed Don't Cry because I had to piss so bad.  Before I got to my seat I bought a 24oz bud light to drink while they were changing over the equipment from Alice in Chains to GNR.  By about the 2 hour mark in the show I was literally in pain I had to piss so bad.  After Nighttrain I couldn't hold it anymore and I freaking ran from my seat on the floor to the closest bathroom and then ran back.

Bottom Line:  This was an amazing experience and I'm so glad I could witness it.  I'm forever grateful that God put these guys on earth and gave them their gifts.  GNR is my favorite band and a part of me is now whole because I have seen them live, even if it's only 3/5ths of them.

I'll gladly take this review over anyone watching perescope, myself included. The songs do seem a little fast paced, so I'm guessing Frank sucks...?

5 minutes ago, Mandy123 said:

some of ya'll are crazy. I came back from the show fully expecting everyone to be as amazed as me and saw things like "feel bad for the KC people" or "glad that's not MY show" like stfu. I was there and it was phenomenal! 

The crowd was INSANE. Guys a row or two in front of me passing a joint back and forth, everyone on their feet the entire time, people high fiving each other after songs lol. Girls puking as we were walking out. You have to walk up this embankment to get back to the road and people were literally crawling up it on their hands and knees. TOTALLY felt like 90's era crowd. 

A couple of things:

- couple of guys sitting beside me said RQ was their favorite song of the night. Another guy, while leaving yelled "they sing The Who better than The Who!" All the GnR staples got massive roars when they'd start, SCOM probably the loudest. 

-Axl was super smiley last night. Someone was holding up a sign and he pointed at it and said "that's good". After Coma he goes "well that was festive". 

- Slash also pointed and smiled at someone in the audience during Seeker. He's more mellow on stage and it's super easy to get pics of him because of it lol. He also became more undressed as the night went on. 

- Duff has CRAZY stage presence! He's on the left, then the right, up the stairs, down the stairs. He plays with the crowd a lot, I can't tell you how many picks he goes through each concert. He sounded awesome, his background vocals really come through

When you're actually there, you're not paying as much attention to song tempo or a missed song lyric. You're just in the moment and on the most intense adrenaline high. I thought Axl sounded fine, he'd let out a scream and the crowd would go wild. ONLY "mistake" a heard was him blowing the whistle late on PC but even that was like something to registered for a split second and then I didn't think about it again until reading the comments here. I came out of it wanting to leave my life and just become a groupie, it was one of the best nights of my life. I probably looked like an idiot the entire time, I couldn't stop smiling. 

so yeah, I know it;s easy to sit at home and be like "mess up there...oh, missed a note there...." but everyone who went that I saw was like THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME"

Dont mind the nit pickers lol

• Like 2