07/01/16 - Chicago, IL - Soldier Field

downzy

2 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

A lot of you need to understand that the band isn't designing the setlist for those of you following along nightly on Periscope. There are a lot of people who don't sit on MyGNR every night and are only seeing this show one time - and the band wants to give them the most complete show possible.

And again, this is a big stadium show and also their first (and who knows? Maybe only) time coming back around, which means they're drawing a lot more 'casual' fans than a typical tour might. Trust me, when you're on that stage, you want the crowd going nuts as much as possible: I had great seats right up front in DC, and as much as I loved Coma, there was a significant portion of the crowd that, while they were into it, clearly didn't know the song as well as, say, Brownstone or Patience. The band doesn't want to turn off half the crowd while they run through 8 minutes of Locomotive, a deep cut for the diehards. They gave us Coma - that's for us (and Slash). Plus, all the Chinese stuff is pretty foreign to most of the crowd - especially TIL and Better.

As for why they play The Seeker? The simple answer is that the band probably likes the song. And isn't that what we want? A band playing a song at their most energized? Trust me - when I was listening along to the Periscopes, I was like "eh, this song is pretty boring." When I saw it live in DC - when I saw Slash jumping up and down rocking the fuck out to the song - I loved it. Some things aren't meant to translate well over the internet.

This!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, radioflyer said:

The crowd looks dead because they are either too rich and entitled to get loose, or they are normal people wondering how they are going to pay rent and eat after spending all of their $$ for "VIP" pit seats. 

The difference in my physicality at concerts is night/day compared to ten years ago. Back then I was 35, still jumping around and going apeshit. I was also very high strung in general. Now I'm much more chill, and outright sedate at concerts compared to my younger self. Doesn't mean I like the show any less, or that I'm not getting into it. In addition I'm easily in better shape than I was 10 or even 20 years ago, but as far as cutting loose...that's just not how it is anymore. 

Great This I Love again, Axls vocals are not far from 2010 levels at this show and the song seems to be the most improved since the warm up shows (dare I call them that!)

Civil War also seems to be more energetic as well these days, Axl is giving that song more umph than recent times for sure.

4 hours ago, shjtjustgotreal said:

there's a fucking subreddit??? :D 

There's a subreddit for everything ;)

I must say Axl looks fucking fantastic, very fit. He sounds... okay. Not terrible, not as great as he could, but I gather his voice is tired and there's nothing more he can do.

Edited by MrSoftie

31 minutes ago, di_rose_portugal said:

WOW this is an out of this world performance... 123.gif

Axl sounds perfect, look at those amazing vocals, what a king :wub:

Setlist is perfect (miss IUTLH)

It sounds great, what is IUTLH?

GnR seem to be kicking some major ass this tour.

My point of reference is the "09 Osaka NuGnR show I attended, which was a great show in its own right.  But even that didn't match the energy level I see in these current shows.  That, and Japanese audiences tend to be a bit more reserved overall.

Good stuff.

Peace.