07/01/16 - Chicago, IL - Soldier Field

downzy

2 minutes ago, bumblecool said:

In AC/DC he played to thousands of people jumping and enjoying, not people dancing in front of their pit's seat

There are no seats in the pit, the seats are all behind the pit. 

Also, this has absolutely nothing to do with AC/DC or GN'R. It's a thing that happens at all US stadium shows no matter what band it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

There are no seats in the pit, the seats are all behind the pit. 

Also, this has absolutely nothing to do with AC/DC or GN'R. It's a thing that happens at all US stadium shows no matter what band it is.

It's like a FAQ would be good for this topic...but then it would have to be read :) 

• Like 2

I should not have posted this during the end of the show....bad time to ask questions when we are all hyped!!!  So I'm doing it again!

Thanks everyone for posting awesome information.  I'm just sitting here getting pump AF for Sunday.

Can anyone who went to the show last night answer a few questions?

What entry gate do you go to, to wait in line for GA PIT entry? 

Doors at 6:30?  Would 2:00 PM be early enough to get there and get a decent rail spot you think?  Judging by the pics of when AIC started, I don't know how that wouldn't be early enough. 

Do they let you bring in closed bottles of water?

Thanks!

Edited by OutTaGetMesomeNightrain

41 minutes ago, KiernanProud said:

I respect your opinion and all, but Axl's singing is strong this tour. If you wanna see an example of the voice you're referring to, watch the Golden Gods performance from 2 years ago. I remember Axl leaning on Bumblefoot and skipping entire verses of songs to catch his breath. His singing is improved, and theres rasp where it needs to be. If he's not using it when he should be, it's because he's physically unable due to 30+ years of screaming. But that's rarely the case. I'll cut him some slack. AC/DC songs are virtually all in the same range, where Axl is at his best, and if you compare it to the GNR shows, I'm sure Axl is singing the same when that range is present. 

Yeah, Nightrain and Out to get me are two songs that fall nicely into the ACDC range, as does chunks of Jungle/Live and let die. Its no wonder he sounds his best during those songs.

• Like 1

Awesome! Just watched all the videos from yesterday. :headbang:Waiting for a good clip of Rocket Queen, from what I saw on Periscop it sounded fantastic. Fanholyfuckingshittastic!!! And I must admit that This I Love is really growing on me. Good job guys, keep on rockin'.

P.S. Great to see Axl and Slash running on stage again :dance:

(just a couple of pictures I found and really like)

gnr3.jpg

gnr.jpg

gnr2.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

No, the "ACDC is easier to sing" excuse is complete bullshit. This is Axl fucking Rose we're talking about.

I don't think there is any doubt that AC/DC is easier for Axl to sing. It comes more natural to his current voice. The alternative is that he is deliberately not doing his best with GN'R ;)

Slash saves Guns N' Roses at Soldier Field

Mmiiatj.jpg

Here’s a capsule rundown of what happened Friday night at Soldier Field: Axl Rose took a bunch of breathers to change hats and T-shirts, and Slash played a lot of virtuosic guitar solos.

After the smoke from the last battery of fireworks cleared, this much was apparent in the first of two weekend concerts: Guns N' Roses may be Rose's band, but it was Slash's night. The guitarist with the cascading ringlets of hair and stove-pipe hat is easily the most compelling musician in the septet, and he salvaged what was otherwise a competent but rarely inspired performance by his newly reconstituted band.

Back in their '80s and early '90s heyday, the scruffs in Guns N' Roses looked like a gang that started dumpster fires in convenience-store parking lots. The outlaw image bled into reality, and the band became as notorious for starting riots, overindulging in drugs and scuffling with police and security guards as it did for its music.

For a generation of teen and preteen suburban kids, that music became a rite of passage, and Rose's volatile persona and snake-hipped stage presence struck a chord that translated into multimillions of album sales. He was the dead-end, small-town kid from the Midwest who went to the Sunset Strip to chase his dreams, and burned bridges everywhere he went. It all imploded in the early '90s, with Rose holding on to the Guns N’ Roses name but not much else as he fired everyone in the band but himself. In the subsequent two decades, he was able to release only one GNR album, the bloated “Chinese Democracy” in 2008.

On Friday, the band delivered a show that tried to pick up where the band left off in 1993, the last year that core members Rose, Slash and Duff McKagen were onstage together. Those three are back, minus two other key contributors to GNR’s best music: songwriter and rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin and drummer Steven Adler, whose loose sense of swing has never been equaled by a string of successors.

The current seven-piece incarnation of the band delivered high-end spectacle on a four-tiered stage with three massive video screens. It loaded up on arena-rock cliches: pyro, fireworks, strobes. All that was missing were the lasers and smoke machines. The 2 1/2-hour set was heavy on '70s tropes, including a bevy of covers merging classic rock (Wings' “Live and Let Die,” Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door”) and punk (the Damned’s “New Rose”). There were double-neck guitars; leather vests, fringe jackets and cowboy hats; silver bracelets, rings and chains; and guitar solos — lots of guitar solos.

Though the band surveyed its career, including three mostly forgettable songs from “Chinese Democracy,” the music that resonated the loudest was from the band’s ill-tempered 1987 debut, “Appetite for Destruction.” Slash's clarion riff for “Sweet Child O' Mine” was greeted with roars and sighs, and the locomotive roar of “Nightrain” and rumbling “Welcome to the Jungle” still punched dents in sternums. McKagen’s bass in particular sounded terrorizing as it sent waves of subterranean vibrations through the audience.

But the band’s subsequent music, ostensibly more sophisticated, has not aged as well: The overwrought “November Rain” and three-part “Coma” came off as the work of a more earnest (and far less compelling) band. And several extended instrumental passages began to feel like padding as the concert was stretched out with rote interpretations of Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” and Derek and the Dominos' “Layla.”

Rose, whose wicked shriek once was the band's signature instrument, has lost much of his cutting upper-register edge, and he often sounded winded, necessitating frequent breaks. So it was up to Slash to reignite GNR’s torch, and he delivered, from a sly Jimi Hendrix quote in “Civil War” to a sensual reading of Nino Rota's “Love Theme from The Godfather.” His ferocious rhythm-lead playing on “Out Ta Get Me” and “Double Talkin’ Jive” split the difference between punk ferocity and thrash metal velocity.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-guns-n-roses-soldier-field-review-kot-20160701-column.html

34 minutes ago, JY2016 said:

Last time that I am going to reply to my own message. First of all, it was really amazing yesterday, the adrenaline beat my 7 hour jet lag (today is a different story though) and definitely looking forward to tomorrow's show with better (i.e. GA PIT) tickets.

Just met Richard somewhere on the Magnificent Mile while I was doing some shopping and walking. Thanked him for the good show yesterday, and when I answered to his question where I was coming from and that I was only in Chicago for the two GNR shows, he and his wife were genuinely surprised that some people do things like that. Took a picture and with a "we'll definitely be in Europe next year", we shook hands and said goodbye... Saw Frank shortly thereafter and spoke briefly as well. Both really nice guys!

Did they say where they were going to tonight?!!!??  I'm up for stalking....  ;-)

I'm a huge fan, and I rarely post. That show last night was absolutely incredible. I saw some of the videos of prior shows and didn't know what to expect. I can honestly say it was one of the best shows I've ever seen and the band killed it. It's been a long time since a crowd that big were treated to a rock n' roll spectacle like that. They nailed it. 

• Like 3