07/01/16 - Chicago, IL - Soldier Field

downzy

5 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Wasn't the line for GA separate though?   Or could you go in any gate and the go to get your wristband?  I know soldier has had GA before, surely they wouldn't have a loophole like this.

there was a line for the field once you were in the stadium, when you were in that line all you had to do was show your ticket and you were given a wristband, they didn't scan the tickets, just looked at them

and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mistake, for the 7/3 show Print at home is not available, and I could have sworn print at home was not available initially for the 7/1 show, but who knows they may have accidently added the option when they released more Pit tickets in the last couple of weeks

Edited by k12

1 hour ago, Gackt said:

CmaEtUVVMAAOE05.jpg

Axl and Slash with their arms around each other, I honestly thought there was a better chance of seeing martians landing on earth than seeing something like that a year ago

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OTHAFA said:

There's no denying that he sounded 10x better on the AC/DC tour than he does right now with GNR. We can debate until we're blue in the face about why that is, but it's really an undeniable fact. 

there's no debate, he sounds like shit at least 75% of the time. so does Fortus and Frank, but that's a different subject i suppose.

1 hour ago, paranoyd androyd said:

there's no debate, he sounds like shit at least 75% of the time. so does Fortus and Frank, but that's a different subject i suppose.

Sounds like shit 75% of the time? Nope.

Have you even been to a show?

Just now, Ak1nney said:

Sounds like shit 75% of the time? Nope.

Have you even been to a show?

It seems that most people that think he sounds like shit are people that are watching youtube videos and periscope. I can't recall one person saying that he sounds bad that actually attended a concert.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

You know Axl is in good mod when he introduces Dizzy with - 'fucking'..!!:lol: Btw... why did he show a middle finger to the person in the crowd?

Haha looks like he was laughing about it so either the fan flipped him off or was holding one of those middle finger not in this lifetime foam hands. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nikosgnr said:

Wow its like Slash took my advice here. This is so much better! True to the original phrasing, not just mindless fast noodling as less is better with this song.  And he still managed to make it his own. Kudos Slash or whoever told him to clean it up!

No if only the entire band can clean up Nigthrain Metlife will be a success for me;)

5 hours ago, ericy210 said:

How many people have you heard imitate Brian's vocals to the point that it's hard to tell which is real?  I've heard a lot.

how many people have you heard imitate Axl successfully?  Remember the analysis done a couple years ago that said he was the singer with the greatest range, even over Mariah Carey?

the two bands call for different vocal skills.  Ask a professional singer or vocal coach.

the idea that he tries harder for ACDC than GNR is absurd.

can we get back on the topic rather thank having the same silly debate that will never be resolved?  I saw Axl work his ass off yesterday, and I'll see the same tomorrow.  Good night.

The greatest range was incorrect however I agree with the rest of your post.

Best not to respond to conspiracy theory loons making claims of Axl intentionally holding back or the equally retarded people who cant wrap their small minds around the fact that time waits for no man.

All HD I have heard sounds very good all things considered. I have also heard low def shite recordings of the same performances.

a couple notes from watching this

Slash is a monster, he is incredible

Axl just seemed so pumped about this finish, it wasn't angry energy he just looked beyond happy

the vocals sound studio like when duff and Melissa join in, I'd like to have them sing on more parts unless Axl brings the rasp back to PC

i enjoyed this performance though, it was great! Chicago seemed to treat them well 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

a couple notes from watching this

Slash is a monster, he is incredible

Axl just seemed so pumped about this finish, it wasn't angry energy he just looked beyond happy

the vocals sound studio like when duff and Melissa join in, I'd like to have them sing on more parts unless Axl brings the rasp back to PC

i enjoyed this performance though, it was great! Chicago seemed to treat them well 

Watching Axl it's hard to believe that just a few weeks ago he was sitting in a chair with a broken foot 

(I hope he stays safe, I'm a bit worried when I see him jumping on the telepromters or what is it :smiley-confused2:)

13 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

60 000 Sold out..fuck yeah!!!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/07/live-review-guns-n-roses-light-up-chicagos-soldier-field-71/

Is it me or is this the best concert of the tour so far...?

Easily the best, the crowd was into it, the band looked on point and into it, everything seemed to flow their way and I think the fact that they walked out to a sold out football stadium was thrilling and pushed them to go up a notch. To me they are really starting to find their comfort zone, I guess playing the same set 4 times in a week will do that, but they all just seem to be finding their rhythm on stage. Frank was much better here than Kansas City, and I'm really pulling for Frank I think he's fine in the band, but sometimes he needs to take control and slow the tempo down. The fans appreciate it, I'm sure Axl's voice will appreciate it, and if Slash can fall into that tempo then things will keep getting better. 

Overall I say it's the best, excited to see if they give a new feeling to the show on Sunday 

• Like 1

Kick ass Jungle. You know Axl is on point when he add "God damn it..I'm gonna watch ya bleed..." Just need Gonna bring you "mf's" down at the end to make it perfect.

Still think Coma from Vegas, nights 1 n 2, were the best so far this tour.

Edited by AFGnR

2 hours ago, scooby845 said:

60 000 Sold out..fuck yeah!!!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/07/live-review-guns-n-roses-light-up-chicagos-soldier-field-71/

Is it me or is this the best concert of the tour so far...?

Fucking great, and there were some, who said the should only do Arena tours. lol 

Edited by lassie

8 minutes ago, Fabiano Negri said:

I see some people comparing Axl's performance in AC/DC and Guns.
Well, I am vocal coach for 20 years and I will try to explain what happens.
My english is not great, but I hope you understand.
The AC/DC songs are in a much more favorable range for the rasp, for the current Axl situation, than the Guns songs. They are in higher register and the melodies are more direct, less worked. See Thunderstruck or Back in Black for example.
Axl lost the natural rasp in the middle region. This will never return. The Guns songs abuse this region. The last part of Estranged is a good example of what I'm talking about. Even if he tries, he will not be able to stare at that pitch. It will sound forced, ugly.
Guns melodies are much more well composed, have more tonal variation and there is a region in Axl's voice that accompanies it anymore as before. Unfortunately it is the range most used in the Guns songs. The medium-high, with drive.
Axl is giving as much as he can. His voice changed and will not be as it was before.
If he insists on putting the rasp in the middle parts, he will blow his voice.
He must have heard it from a professional.
And he's doing the right thing. 

Well said, and it makes sense. Why has Axl lost his Middel voice? If you know what can cause it.

Edit. i can see that you may have answered it. all those years of Guns hard songs has change his voice.

Edited by lassie

Just now, lassie said:

Well said, and it makes sense. Why has Axl lost his Middel voice? If you know what can cause it.

Because of the wrong use of the technique and breathing.
Today Axl is a much more technical singer than before.
But the human material is not the same.
If I were Axl's couch, I tell him to do exactly what he's doing.
That guy has a career that cannot end tomorrow.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fabiano Negri said:

I see some people comparing Axl's performance in AC/DC and Guns.
Well, I am vocal coach for 20 years and I will try to explain what happens.
My english is not great, but I hope you understand.
The AC/DC songs are in a much more favorable range for the rasp, for the current Axl situation, than the Guns songs. They are in higher register and the melodies are more direct, less worked. See Thunderstruck or Back in Black for example.
Axl lost the natural rasp in the middle region. This will never return. The Guns songs abuse this region. The last part of Estranged is a good example of what I'm talking about. Even if he tries, he will not be able to stare at that pitch. It will sound forced, ugly.
Guns melodies are much more well composed, have more tonal variation and there is a region in Axl's voice that accompanies it anymore as before. Unfortunately it is the range most used in the Guns songs. The medium-high, with drive.
Axl is giving as much as he can. His voice changed and will not be as it was before.
If he insists on putting the rasp in the middle parts, he will blow his voice.
He must have heard it from a professional.
And he's doing the right thing. 

Well you say he will never get his mid back again. But in 2001 era he had lost his mid range too, he couldnt sing the mid range parts. In 2006 he COULD sing mid parts, he sounded great, so maybe its not impossible to recover mid voice. Am I right ?

7 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I love the Axl/DC versus Guns N Roses Axl debate, I think it's highly interesting and while at first I was sold on the "they are completely different" argument I've begun to appreciate stuff he did with ACDC and have refused to write it off as simply the songs being "different".

take a song like High Voltage for example...take a look at 1:51 and listen to that mid range...it's so beautiful and crisp and precise, this voice is highly useful for Axl bc it's technique driven and doesn't require him to blow his voice but it sounds brilliant. The question is why his mid range is so weak with GNR. 

One reason I've given is GNR has more words to manage so it's harder to get out something like this, also tempo is faster with GNR which speeds up his voice and makes it higher than it is. 

But the vocal coach thing is what I keep coming back to. He learned high voltage and others from the ground up, a vocal coach got him in the correct range and got Axl to find some sharpness to his voice. With GNR he doesn't allow himself to imagin singing these songs different. He's stuck singing sweet child in his head voice with little emotion to it. YCBM could be sung completely in his chest voice like he does with the end of the song but he doesn't do it.

the biggest improvement is in November Rain though, I think he took some of the technique learned with ACDC and applied it to that song bc it doesn't sound as weak as it did in the past, it's closer to a crisper sounding clean voice than that dreaded Mickey. Along with NR Live and Let Die sounds amazing also. However back to NR I'd love for him to transfer back to his chest voice and belt the song out for old times sake...even if he over powers the instrumentals it will sound amazing and the song is slow enough for him to do it on. 

Now idk how to explain this shit but wtf! This song YSMANL is so much closer to his mid range than some of you think, he's not screaming this, he's singing in a range I can't compare to in the GNR set, I imagine SCOM, YCBM, RQ all benefiting from this voice

3:21-3:30 such a small part of this great performance but it is just incredible to me and I have no idea where he is finding that voice

But anyways, I promise this post isn't here to hate or whatever, Axl is unbelievable in both bands but I think there is so much he could use from ACDC and apply to Guns, they aren't completely different...he's not singing in 20 different ranges, there are only a handful of ranges he can pick from and his range is simply in better form with ACDC for the reasons I listed above. 

I'm fascinated by this argument though and am really happy we now have all these new songs with Axl's vocals to to compare and actually hear how dynamic he still is 

Thank you for making sense. People don't realize what it takes to sing ACDC songs. This is why nobody can convince me otherwise that Axl is not giving it his best for GNR. This whole idea that he lost his mid range voice is nothing but nonsense.  He still has a strong enough voice to sing these GNR songs and make them sound good. I don't remember what ACDC song it was, but I recall Axl ending one of them exactly like he ended the Don't Cry studio version song. Axl was doing a bunch of different things with is vocals for ACDC.