07/27/16 - Atlanta, GA - Georgia Dome

downzy

4 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

My net was not working, so well whats up?

Any surprises? Was Erin at the show? 

Amazing performance as usual. From the periscope that I was watching (until OTGM that is, before it died on me and I went for my workout) Axl sounded great, I have no complaints. 

Nobody saw his ex wife. 

Last night was my fourth show this tour and Axl seemed the most animated and confident I've seen yet.  Never thought I'd say this but I find myself looking forward to This I Love now and they crushed it last night.  Also for the setlist - I'm always up for more changes personally (in a greedy way), but it seems like I've had someone by me each night cheer in excited disbelief when Coma starts.  So I think the setlist is still pretty cool for most.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

This ↑↑↑↑↑ and this ↓↓↓↓↓

The setlist is meant to entertain the people paying to see the show each night, not people watching every show on the internet.

It would be hard to spontaneously change songs with so many pieces and parts. They're at the venues working songs out instead of being holed up in their hotel rooms. There's also going to be enough of a break in between legs of the tour that the setlist will probably change over time. Some songs are set in stone though. 

42 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

It would be hard to spontaneously change songs with so many pieces and parts. 

Frankly I don't know how they did it on the UYI tour, Gilby had to learn every single song when he came in, on the chance they'd call an audible on the night. And some nights they would!

• Like 1

I am new here, but have been a fan since the '91 riot show in St. Louis. I saw them live 4 times in 1991-1992.

I totally get both sides of the set list argument. My problem with it is that for the last couple shows, they haven't played Sorry or Catcher, and they didn't replace it with another song, so essentially, they've shortened the show.

When you cut out the fluff, they are really only playing about 18 GNR songs.  Also, way too many covers for a band with this great of a catalogue.

Either way, I will be there on Sunday night in New Orleans and I am beyond excited to see the greatest band of all time in concert once again.

44 minutes ago, lemonhead said:

I am new here, but have been a fan since the '91 riot show in St. Louis. I saw them live 4 times in 1991-1992.

I totally get both sides of the set list argument. My problem with it is that for the last couple shows, they haven't played Sorry or Catcher, and they didn't replace it with another song, so essentially, they've shortened the show.

When you cut out the fluff, they are really only playing about 18 GNR songs.  Also, way too many covers for a band with this great of a catalogue.

Either way, I will be there on Sunday night in New Orleans and I am beyond excited to see the greatest band of all time in concert once again.

it's the same length they started with in Detroit, the extra stuff has been the exception.

Edited by fallglimmer

Yeah, after the Toronto show my mate told me he had a great time, but thought the set was a couple of songs too long at 2 hours 45 mins; it can get pretty tiring for people at the show. I'd say it's just about the sweet spot for me; I find the 90-120 min concerts most bands do to be on the short side, and the 3 hour plus Springsteen gigs I went to were fantastic but draining.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Frankly I don't know how they did it on the UYI tour, Gilby had to learn every single song when he came in, on the chance they'd call an audible on the night. And some nights they would!

Because they are professional musicians.  They could easily do that now if they wanted to.  Note I'm not  saying they should...just that they could.  Note I'm not saying they shouldn't either...just that they could.

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

Because they are professional musicians.  They could easily do that now if they wanted to.  Note I'm not  saying they should...just that they could.  Note I'm not saying they shouldn't either...just that they could.

Prince was pretty famous for that on his tours, he'd call pretty much any song and the band had to have it down tight no matter what it was. Although in recent years with 3RD Eyed Girl they pretty much just played the hits.

1 minute ago, moreblack said:

Prince was pretty famous for that on his tours, he'd call pretty much any song and the band had to have it down tight no matter what it was. Although in recent years with 3RD Eyed Girl they pretty much just played the hits.

Still I saw Prince 10 times between 2014-2016 and the set was never exactly the same for any of the shows! 

Anyone watch David Padilla's periscope? at one point someone posted in the comments "mygnrforum practice ritual annihilation" or something close. curious if there's more to that...but I find it fun anyone refers to this forum. 

• Like 1

As far as the setlist goes I think we can see how the rest of the tour will go. We shouldn't expect a surprise at this point. 

Part of it is they are in America, I think the setlist for this part of the tour wanted to be safe and stick with the hits. Kinda a "let's get this thing started right" Deep cuts may not be as impactful here as they would be in let's say South America. 

In April the only big setlist chances took place when they played Yesterday's and There Was A Time in Mexico. 

So i dont see them reaching too deep into the catalogue until the SA tour. They can take chances there and the audience will be right there with them. 

They have mixed It up more than a lot of major acts and more then they did on the UYI tour.

This comment is just plain ridiculous.  Go look at the setlists for the UYI shows.  They opened with different songs all the time, played songs at completely different times throughout the show.  There isn't even a comparison.  that band at that time was unique night to night.  Now we get the corporate"movie" every night.

I've seen 5 shows and I haven't watched a single periscope feed. I understand the fact most people don't go to multiple shows, but don't you people who think it's ridiculous to complain about the setlists, think it would be cool to see an actual organic experience instead of a canned production ?

10 minutes ago, sibidy7 said:

They have mixed It up more than a lot of major acts and more then they did on the UYI tour.

This comment is just plain ridiculous.  Go look at the setlists for the UYI shows.  They opened with different songs all the time, played songs at completely different times throughout the show.  There isn't even a comparison.  that band at that time was unique night to night.  Now we get the corporate"movie" every night.

I've seen 5 shows and I haven't watched a single periscope feed. I understand the fact most people don't go to multiple shows, but don't you people who think it's ridiculous to complain about the setlists, think it would be cool to see an actual organic experience instead of a canned production ?

I was actually around and attended shows on the UYI tour and no the setlist did not change all that much. What does rotating the same songs In the setlist have to do with playing different songs?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I can't see Guns playing stadiums again In the US after this tour. And I can't see huge demand for another US tour without a classic new GNR album to support.

Completely disagree. Went to Nashville and lived it. Would go again in a heartbeat

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SEPTEM said:

did anybody noticed the axl/slash thing right before TIL last verse??

It was kind'a  " you killed this one dude, nah u did, no you, we both". It was an honest, magical, hugely IMPORTANT and MUTUAL gesture that shows how healthy/respectfull/chill/cool/mature/FRIENDLY are things on this Guns N' Roses inside world.

BY THE WAY,  this i love was beyond wonderfull.  For me was the most perfect, acurate, right, artistic performance ever of this song.. Axl did PERFECT  memorable, the band on point.., and slash.. Ohh u son of a b... For me last night was the MOST PERFECT/INSIDEFULL/DEEP til solo ever.   Im pretty sure they both noticed each others performances and thats why they did those  "outta boy" reverences .

I didnt, but i was about to drop a few tears when a saw that.

PEACE

Agreed. Axl really sings it beautifully. Specially the last line "I'll never say goodbye". He just delivers that with wonderful vocals. That's like really good singing right there.

It doesn't.  It has to do with spontaneity.  

And also, look at the setlists.  They may have not changed at your shows but they were more varied than what is happening now.

For me it's about seeing a performance versus a production .