07/29/16 - Orlando, FL - Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium

downzy

I'm thinking about traveling from MI to see this show. I'd be staying in New Smyrna Beach area, does anyone know how early I should plan on leaving to get to the stadium? At least for by the time GnR should start. I have no idea how bad traffic gets around there during events.

On July 17, 2016 at 10:43 PM, pinkforgirls said:

If you are planning on buying parking ahead of time in one of the stadium lots probably should do it sooner rather than later. Looks like they are starting to sell out. Of course they are through Ticket Master.

http://www.campingworldstadium.com/plan-your-visit/directions-parking

Thanks a lot! Hope I can make it!~ Ive seen GNR in june 1993 last show with UYI line up. with my friends from school, great experience, 10 years later we open with my band for Gilby Clarke featuring S, Adler. dreams come true. 

52 minutes ago, aubrey1111 said:

I'm thinking about traveling from MI to see this show. I'd be staying in New Smyrna Beach area, does anyone know how early I should plan on leaving to get to the stadium? At least for by the time GnR should start. I have no idea how bad traffic gets around there during events.

Orlando tends to have a good amount of traffic especially on a Friday night. My hotel is only 10 minutes away in the downtown area but I got in touch with the hotel manager and he said traffic is an issue. Plus there is construction on I-4. Safe travels! 

3 minutes ago, Chowy said:

Thanks a lot! Hope I can make it!~ Ive seen GNR in june 1993 last show with UYI line up. with my friends from school, great experience, 10 years later we open with my band for Gilby Clarke featuring S, Adler. dreams come true. 

awww that's awesome!! I only saw them in 1991 in Miami. I've waited a long time for this! 

21 hours ago, pinkforgirls said:

Orlando tends to have a good amount of traffic especially on a Friday night. My hotel is only 10 minutes away in the downtown area but I got in touch with the hotel manager and he said traffic is an issue. Plus there is construction on I-4. Safe travels! 

Thanks for the info! Maybe I will try to avoid I-4, Google maps gave me a few different options. 

18 hours ago, aubrey1111 said:

Thanks for the info! Maybe I will try to avoid I-4, Google maps gave me a few different options. 

Coming up I-4 from the southwest (if you are coming up Florida's Turnpike this is the direction) shouldn't be too bad.  Just get off at John Young Parkway and take that north.  Once near the stadium the end of the route will depend on where you are parking.

If you are coming from east of downtown Orlando, take a route that avoids I-4 and takes 408 just to be safe.

I've only been to Camping World Stadium (formerly the Citrus Bowl) for football games but the local street traffic right by the stadium can get pretty bad.  I'm planning to get to the parking lot around 7PM to avoid any stress or issues.

12 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Coming up I-4 from the southwest (if you are coming up Florida's Turnpike this is the direction) shouldn't be too bad.  Just get off at John Young Parkway and take that north.  Once near the stadium the end of the route will depend on where you are parking.

If you are coming from east of downtown Orlando, take a route that avoids I-4 and takes 408 just to be safe.

I've only been to Camping World Stadium (formerly the Citrus Bowl) for football games but the local street traffic right by the stadium can get pretty bad.  I'm planning to get to the parking lot around 7PM to avoid any stress or issues.

Thanks! I'll be coming from the east so I think I'll take the 408 way. I was worried about the traffic around the stadium, I was trying to decide if it was worth it to buy a parking pass at the stadium or just wait until the day of. 

17 hours ago, lhalver said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Several various rows of floor seats have been released for regular price on ticketnaster for anyone who hasn't bought tickets yet.

Update- Pit as well

They have released tickets for this show in a very strange manner.  The rear sections of the floor they have been releasing 4 rows at a time as they sell.  That makes sense because I assume whatever they don't sell on the floor they don't set up the seats for.

The way they've held back other seats is weird.  A few weeks ago, they released 2 side sections (one each side) towards the far end.  After those sold out (except single seats) they released all of the partial view side stage seats.  Within the last few days they released pretty much 2 more side sections that are closer to the stage than the ones released weeks ago and at the same prices.  They also released "stripes" of seats in 4 of the far end sections that face the stage.

I guess there must be some method to their madness but I don't understand why they would release worse seats before better seats.  Had people that bought those side sections 2 weeks ago waited for this week they could have bought seats 1 section closer to the stage for the exact same price ($100 or $150 depending on row).

It looks like there are probably a little less than 2500 seats available that aren't partial view assuming they've released everything by now (it seems like they have based on single seats and resale tickets).  It looks like most of the upper deck partial view will sell out ($60.50 and $75).

5 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

They have released tickets for this show in a very strange manner.  The rear sections of the floor they have been releasing 4 rows at a time as they sell.  That makes sense because I assume whatever they don't sell on the floor they don't set up the seats for.

The way they've held back other seats is weird.  A few weeks ago, they released 2 side sections (one each side) towards the far end.  After those sold out (except single seats) they released all of the partial view side stage seats.  Within the last few days they released pretty much 2 more side sections that are closer to the stage than the ones released weeks ago and at the same prices.  They also released "stripes" of seats in 4 of the far end sections that face the stage.

I guess there must be some method to their madness but I don't understand why they would release worse seats before better seats.  Had people that bought those side sections 2 weeks ago waited for this week they could have bought seats 1 section closer to the stage for the exact same price ($100 or $150 depending on row).

It looks like there are probably a little less than 2500 seats available that aren't partial view assuming they've released everything by now (it seems like they have based on single seats and resale tickets).  It looks like most of the upper deck partial view will sell out ($60.50 and $75).

That's a common practice, putting the worse tickets for sale first because they're harder to sell.  It gives fans the false impression that those seats are the best  of the remaining unsold tickets, and they think they have to buy them or risk getting shut out.  Then Ticketmaster puts the better seats for sale because they are a lot easier to sell.  Gone are the days when all the best seats go on sale first.  It does help prevent the scalpers from scooping up all the best seats though, because they don't know when the better ones will go on sale and they can't be bothered to keep checking.

I wonder if there's gonna be anything special happening at this particular show, as I think it's the first major event in Orlando since the shooting.  Still a lot of people in the area trying to cope and heal. 

Sorry for all of the out-of-towner type questions and I don't know if anyone can answer this, but would you recommend using the free shuttle? I'm just curious if it would be better for parking price, traffic, safety, etc. I've never actually been to a venue that offers a shuttle service.

Edited by aubrey1111

1 hour ago, aubrey1111 said:

Sorry for all of the out-of-towner type questions and I don't know if anyone can answer this, but would you recommend using the free shuttle? I'm just curious if it would be better for parking price, traffic, safety, etc. I've never actually been to a venue that offers a shuttle service.

Are you staying downtown?  If you've already got free parking at your hotel then yeah it's a good way to save a few bucks, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.  The lots and garages downtown will charge around $15, only $5 less than parking in the venue's lots.  Worst part about free shuttles is after the event it's a very long wait to get on board the next available shuttle, I've done it with the Daytona 500 and it was a 2+ hour wait to get on a shuttle.  I also was next to a couple of very drunk folks that looked like they were going to vomit so they were handed bags. LOL!  Personally I'd rather spend that time tailgating in the lot or sitting in my car than standing in a line, especially with the heat and frequent possibility of rain this time of year.

11 minutes ago, The Linguini Occurrence said:

Are you staying downtown?  If you've already got free parking at your hotel then yeah it's a good way to save a few bucks, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.  The lots and garages downtown will charge around $15, only $5 less than parking in the venue's lots.  Worst part about free shuttles is after the event it's a very long wait to get on board the next available shuttle, I've done it with the Daytona 500 and it was a 2+ hour wait to get on a shuttle.  I also was next to a couple of very drunk folks that looked like they were going to vomit so they were handed bags. LOL!  Personally I'd rather spend that time tailgating in the lot or sitting in my car than standing in a line, especially with the heat and frequent possibility of rain this time of year.

Thanks! I won't be staying downtown so I think I will definitely just plan on finding some parking lot near the stadium or buying a pass from the venue beforehand. I didn't even think about the heat or possibility of rain either, and being from Michigan I'm not as used to that kind of heat/humidity haha. 

1 minute ago, aubrey1111 said:

Thanks! I won't be staying downtown so I think I will definitely just plan on finding some parking lot near the stadium or buying a pass from the venue beforehand. I didn't even think about the heat or possibility of rain either, and being from Michigan I'm not as used to that kind of heat/humidity haha. 

There are a bunch of local lots near the stadium that sell parking to events.  The last time I was there for a football game I just kept driving closer until the traffic stopped moving and then pulled into whatever lot happened to be next to me for $10.  The place holds 65,000 for football games so there will be plenty of parking around with 20,000 less people.  You will have to walk a few blocks but it won't be a huge deal.

9 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

There are a bunch of local lots near the stadium that sell parking to events.  The last time I was there for a football game I just kept driving closer until the traffic stopped moving and then pulled into whatever lot happened to be next to me for $10.  The place holds 65,000 for football games so there will be plenty of parking around with 20,000 less people.  You will have to walk a few blocks but it won't be a huge deal.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I was thinking of doing that, I usually do that when I go to Ford Field in Detroit because of the traffic being so bad the closer you get. Is safety an issue around the stadium, or will there be enough people around to not worry about it? I'd rather not have to worry about getting to one of the parking lots at the stadium if I don't have to. 

50 minutes ago, aubrey1111 said:

Ah yeah brace yourself for the heat. Orlando is inland so it doesn't quite get the ocean breeze. Wear lightest clothes possible and drink that water. I am actually more nervous about the heat than the traffic. I went ahead and bought a stadium parking pass for $27 just to have some peace of mind. 

1 hour ago, aubrey1111 said:

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I was thinking of doing that, I usually do that when I go to Ford Field in Detroit because of the traffic being so bad the closer you get. Is safety an issue around the stadium, or will there be enough people around to not worry about it? I'd rather not have to worry about getting to one of the parking lots at the stadium if I don't have to. 

I think the number of people around will depend on where you park and how big the private lot.  There's no curfew, so I'm guessing the concert will be over around 12:30 AM ... not a good time to be wandering into the wrong area.  I recommend going to crimereports.com or crimemapping.com and get familiar with the area around the stadium.  I don't mean to scare you, but Orlando has some really bad areas ... that's why it's got a crime index of 2 (out of 100).  http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/orlando/crime/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aubrey1111 said:

The area around the stadium is not the greatest area but there will be a lot of people around.  As long as you park north of the 408 and either along orange blossom trail or west of it you won't have any issues.  Between the police presence and the crowd it will be fine.  I've been to football games at night there and never felt in danger on my way back to my car.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2016 at 7:39 PM, aubrey1111 said:

I would give yourself 2+ hours at least....traffic...plus the time to park and get into the venue. Etc...I'd leave New Smyrna no later that 5:30/6 pm.

4 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

The area around the stadium is not the greatest area but there will be a lot of people around.  As long as you park north of the 408 and either along orange blossom trail or west of it you won't have any issues.  Between the police presence and the crowd it will be fine.  I've been to football games at night there and never felt in danger on my way back to my car.

Uhm....I wouldn't park anywhere near Orange Blossom Trail...lol....

Your safest bet is to pay the $20 and park in an official stadium lot...trust me. 

Or park downtown and take a $5 Uber to the stadium.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, aubrey1111 said:

It's actually very easy to get in and out of the stadium lots because they are spread out 360 degrees around the stadium and each lot has separate exits....with police usually stopping traffic helping you get out.  Longest it's ever taken me to get out of a lot there was maybe 15 minutes, tops.

Stadium lots are you safest best.  Avoid private lots and unlike some others here have told you, avoid parking anywhere on the street around Orange Blossom trail or even east/west of it...not safe for a girl to be walking around that area at night...more than likely nothing would happen but no need to risk it either.

If you don't want to pay the $20 for a stadium parking you could always park underneath I4 in downtown and take a $5 Uber to the stadium.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I would give yourself 2+ hours at least....traffic...plus the time to park and get into the venue. Etc...I'd leave New Smyrna no later that 5:30/6 pm.

Uhm....I wouldn't park anywhere near Orange Blossom Trail...lol....

Your safest bet is to pay the $20 and park in an official stadium lot...trust me. 

Or park downtown and take a $5 Uber to the stadium.

While I certainly wouldn't be hanging out on Orange Blossom Trail on a normal evening, it is different when there is a large event.  I've parked at a lot just north of 408 on OBT for night football games.  Yes, the stadium lots are the best bet but Orange Blossom Trail is only 1/4 mile east of the stadium.  It's not like the stadium lots are suddenly in Beverly Hills and the surrounding private lots are Compton.  I wouldn't park east of Orange Blossom Trail but right along it or to the west towards the stadium should be fine.

For Michigan based perspective, that is the same distance as Ford Field is from Woodward Ave.  Parking west of Orange Blossom Trail for Camping World Stadium is, distance wise, like parking in the surface lots on the grounds of Comerica Park when going to Ford Field.

The worst part of Orange Blossom Trail that gives it the reputation it has starts a little bit south of the stadium area, south of 408.  The area within 1/4 mile of the stadium is more of a commercial/industrial area.

There are going to be 40,000+ people around after the concert.  Given the recent events not far away, I'm sure there will also be a significant police presence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

While I certainly wouldn't be hanging out on Orange Blossom Trail on a normal evening, it is different when there is a large event.  I've parked at a lot just north of 408 on OBT for night football games.  Yes, the stadium lots are the best bet but Orange Blossom Trail is only 1/4 mile east of the stadium.  It's not like the stadium lots are suddenly in Beverly Hills and the surrounding private lots are Compton.  I wouldn't park east of Orange Blossom Trail but right along it or to the west towards the stadium should be fine.

For Michigan based perspective, that is the same distance as Ford Field is from Woodward Ave.  Parking west of Orange Blossom Trail for Camping World Stadium is, distance wise, like parking in the surface lots on the grounds of Comerica Park when going to Ford Field.

The worst part of Orange Blossom Trail that gives it the reputation it has starts a little bit south of the stadium area, south of 408.  The area within 1/4 mile of the stadium is more of a commercial/industrial area.

There are going to be 40,000+ people around after the concert.  Given the recent events not far away, I'm sure there will also be a significant police presence.

Like I said, most likely nothing would happen but the area between OBT and the stadium or within 2-3 blocks is plenty bad....plenty of crack heads, crack dealers and prostitutes....I used to drive by it several times a week when I used to run some car lots in the area.

The entire strip from 50 to well past I4 on OBT is among the highest murder and crime rates of all of Orlando....so no, I would not recommend parking on Orange Blossom Trail, especially to someone that is from out of town. Directly East (across the street, less than 1 block) of the part of OBT where your're telling her to park is Parramore (Considered one of the most dangerous places to live in the U.S....right up there with Detroit and DC)  ...so no, the bad area doesn't just begin "past the 408".  And you being from Orlando should know better by telling someone that.  Just because you or I wouldnt mind it so much...doesn't mean it's safe for  people (especially a girl) coming from out of town ...because it's not.

If anyone has any doubts, feel free to contact the Orange County Sheriff's office and see what they tell you about parking on the street (especially by Orange Blossom Trail) in that section of town...lol.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:
33 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Like I said, most likely nothing would happen but the area between OBT and the stadium or within 2-3 blocks is plenty bad....plenty of crack heads, crack dealers and prostitutes....I used to drive by it several times a week when I used to run some car lots in the area.

The entire strip from 50 to well past I4 on OBT is among the highest murder and crime rates of all of Orlando....so no, I would not recommend parking on Orange Blossom Trail, especially to someone that is from out of town. Directly East of that part of OBT is Parramore...so no, the bad area doesn't just begin "past the 408".  And you being from Orlando should know better by telling someone that.  Just because you or I wouldnt mind it so much...doesn't mean it's safe for  people (especially a girl) coming from out of town ...because it's not.

If anyone has any doubts, feel free to contact the Orange County Sheriff's office and see what they tell you about parking on the street (especially by Orange Blossom Trail) in that section of town...lol.

The stadium lots aren't that much better is my general point.  Some of the stadium lots are within 400 feet of Orange Blossom Trail.  There isn't some magic barrier that makes those lots a utopia and Orange Blossom Trail a war zone.  Some of the stadium lots are south of 408.  I haven't ever heard of a murder happening near the stadium during an event.

I'm sure you can pick up a nasty prostitute if you so desired or score any substance known to man if you want to but between the police presence and the crowd it is very unlikely to be in danger before or after the concert.  With the way the world has been lately, you're probably in more danger at the high end Mall at Millenia 5 miles south.  The concert will have law enforcement and security around in large numbers.

If I thought there might be an issue, I wouldn't give that kind of advise for a female that could be alone (although I think she'll be with another person anyway).  If you can get a stadium lot (which I think are still available) it is probably the best plan but I wouldn't be afraid if you have to park within 2-3 blocks of the stadium.

• Like 1