08/09/16 - San Francisco, CA - AT&T Park

downzy

1 hour ago, spiderbaby667 said:

Amazing concert despite the three white trash pit-tr olls on the right of the pit who bullied one petite girl out of her place and were getting physical with my girl until I had to body-shield her. Worst type of fans!

The couple in front of us (at the railing) were really nice and if you're on this thread, many thanks for letting my gf at the railing for one of her favorite songs. You guys rocked and really enjoyed the show. Best type of fans!

All in all, the fans in the pit were awesome.

Which side of the pit were you guys on? I was on the left facing the stage with the red Charles Manson shirt.

2 hours ago, pjjk said:

Watched some of the show on Periscope last night and it looked packed by showtime.  How was the show?

Yup absolutely packed by showtime. ..show was great. They started at 8 and just played hard nonstop...they and the crowd were full of energy and I think Axl felt and saw that cause like I said in earlier posts..the whole stadium was up on their feet like the whole show! :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J. Rose said:

Which side of the pit were you guys on? I was on the left facing the stage with the red Charles Manson shirt.

We were on the right facing the stage, a little left of Slash's left wah-wah pedal. I figured the center section wouldn't be a great view but Axl and Slash hung out there quite a lot. Really, not one bad position in the pit with the amount they moved about. It was hard to take a photo of Axl half the time! They really know how to work the stage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CDogg said:

Wow.  That was an amazing performance.  Now I understand about 2010 comments.  I hate to say it but Ax may have hit his apex of vocal ability back then.  That rasp is rarely heard for a full song on this tour.

Crazy thing is he brought it big time for AC/DC on raspy songs like Thunderstruck and Hells Bells. I think he had more to prove with AC/DC fans. He knows the GN'R fanbase will support him regardless. 

43 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Crazy thing is he brought it big time for AC/DC on raspy songs like Thunderstruck and Hells Bells. I think he had more to prove with AC/DC fans. He knows the GN'R fanbase will support him regardless. 

Well those are higher where he can show a lot of power, just like outta get me/ i never wanter you to be.. In better etc

17 hours ago, AxlCole said:

I think people are forgetting, or looking at things with 'rose' colored glasses (pun sort of intended), that even in his heyday, his voice has been pretty inconsistent live.  Hell, my wife and I couldn't sit through a '92 show we tried watching the other night because he sounded so strained.  

Axl's heyday in 1992?

What?

:blink:

In short, comes 1992 and it was Axl, Slash, Duff and a circus (much like now) playing for sold out stadiums. That can be considered heyday in terms of how many people were attending the shows and how much money the (remains of the) band was making, but thats just about it. What you had on stange in 1992 was a sad, bad, incomplete version of the best rock n roll band ever. Axl basically didnt want to be there, he changed himself from a loose-animalesque singer that seemed to enjoye himself onstage into this professional and controlled performer who clearly would rather be somewhere else. Oh, and Slash and Duff were basically walking dead zombies. To call 1992 Guns n Roses heyday is just... wrong.

Now just remove 1992 from the picture... and we can talk GNR and Axl heyday 1986-1991. And then I have to ask you something serious. Do you really think that Axl was "pretty inconsistent live in his heyday?" What? What the fuck are you talking about? No one could touch Axl Rose and Guns n Roses from 1986-1991. That bad was gold NIGHT AFTER NIGHT AFTER NIGHT. I havent to this day listened to ONE SINGLE BAD PERFORMANCE from Axl and Guns n Roses from that period.

:headbang:

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

n short, comes 1992 and it was Axl, Slash, Duff and a circus (much like now) playing for sold out stadiums. That can be considered heyday in terms of how many people were attending the shows and how much money the (remains of the) band was making, but thats just about it. What you had on stage in 1992 was a sad, bad, incomplete version of the best rock n roll band ever. Axl basically didnt want to be there, he changed himself from a loose-animalesque singer that seemed to enjoy himself onstage into this professional and controlled performer who clearly would rather be somewhere else. Oh, and Slash and Duff were basically walking dead zombies. To call 1992 Guns n Roses heyday is just... wrong.

I wouldn't use such strong words, but yes, what you're saying is pretty much the reality. As for Axl, he was trying to be professional and controlled like Jagger, but he couldn't, because he couldn't act. He couldn't pretend that he was having fun on stage when he wasn't.

5 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Axl's heyday in 1992?

What?

In short, comes 1992 and it was Axl, Slash, Duff and a circus (much like now) playing for sold out stadiums. That can be considered heyday in terms of how many people were attending the shows and how much money the (remains of the) band was making, but thats just about it. What you had on stange in 1992 was a sad, bad, incomplete version of the best rock n roll band ever. Axl basically didnt want to be there, he changed himself from a loose-animalesque singer that seemed to enjoye himself onstage into this professional and controlled performer who clearly would rather be somewhere else. Oh, and Slash and Duff were basically walking dead zombies. To call 1992 Guns n Roses heyday is just... wrong.

Now just remove 1992 from the picture... and we can talk GNR and Axl heyday 1986-1991. And then I have to ask you something serious. Do you really think that Axl was "pretty inconsistent live in his heyday?" What? What the fuck are you talking about? No one could touch Axl Rose and Guns n Roses from 1986-1991. That bad was gold NIGHT AFTER NIGHT AFTER NIGHT. I havent to this day listened to ONE SINGLE BAD PERFORMANCE from Axl and Guns n Roses from that period.

I don't agree with this at all.  Yes, it was down to Axl, Slash and Duff as original members, but it's still Axl in his prime, and, yes, even in the 80s he was inconsistent. Hell, the Ritz show is one of my favorite shows of all time, but Axl's voice sounds more than a bit strained and hoarse in many parts. Again, still great, but at the show I saw here a few weeks ago he actually nailed that last note in SCOM _better_ than at that Ritz show.  Just watch their "Welcome to the Jungle" performance from the '88 MTV awards, where he sounds like he swallowed a piece of sandpaper, versus their performances on Fox's Late Show, from the very same year where his voice sounds clear and smooth with just enough rasp on it its upper range... pretty much exactly how he sounded on "Appetite" and "Lies".  That's inconsistency, and that's not a knock on him, that's human, and _every singer goes through it_.  Hell, if anything, he's been _more_ consistent overall on this tour. 

But you threw something extra in there: you said "I havent to this day listened to ONE SINGLE BAD PERFORMANCE from Axl and Guns n Roses from that period.".  Maybe not, but I didn't say 'bad', I said 'inconsistent', and those aren't the same things.  And that can be anything from a show-to-show inconsistency, or a song-to-song inconsistency, which, again, I find is easily the case on pretty much every show I've watched from the 80s, as well as the ones I attended in the early 90s and have watched on youtube.  Like I said, his voice wasn't _quite_ up to par throughout the entire Ritz '88 show, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fucking great. I mean, it's rock n roll.... great isn't about perfection.  Hell, could anyone honestly call one of the shows on this tour 'bad'?  I don't think so.  From everything I've watched, they've ranged from 'great' to 'absolutely fantastic'. 

Anyway... long story short.... yeah, I consider Axl's 'heyday' to be between the start of the band through even the Spaghetti Incident, as he still sounds great on that record, and he's still easily in his prime age-wise.

Edited by AxlCole
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, AxlCole said:

I don't agree with this at all.  Yes, it was down to Axl, Slash and Duff as original members, but it's still Axl in his prime, and, yes, even in the 80s he was inconsistent. Hell, the Ritz show is one of my favorite shows of all time, but Axl's voice sounds more than a bit strained and hoarse in many parts. Again, still great, but at the show I saw here a few weeks ago he actually nailed that last note in SCOM _better_ than at that Ritz show.  Just watch their "Welcome to the Jungle" performance from the '88 MTV awards, where he sounds like he swallowed a piece of sandpaper, versus their performances on Fox's Late Show, from the very same year where his voice sounds clear and smooth with just enough rasp on it its upper range... pretty much exactly how he sounded on "Appetite" and "Lies".  That's inconsistency, and that's not a knock on him, that's human, and _every singer goes through it_.  Hell, if anything, he's been _more_ consistent overall on this tour. 

But you threw something extra in there: you said "I havent to this day listened to ONE SINGLE BAD PERFORMANCE from Axl and Guns n Roses from that period.".  Maybe not, but I didn't say 'bad', I said 'inconsistent', and those aren't the same things.  And that can be anything from a show-to-show inconsistency, or a song-to-song inconsistency, which, again, I find is easily the case on pretty much every show I've watched from the 80s, as well as the ones I attended in the early 90s and have watched on youtube.  Like I said, his voice wasn't _quite_ up to par throughout the entire Ritz '88 show, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fucking great. I mean, it's rock n roll.... great isn't about perfection.  Hell, could anyone honestly call one of the shows on this tour 'bad'?  I don't think so.  From everything I've watched, they've ranged from 'great' to 'absolutely fantastic'. 

Anyway... long story short.... yeah, I consider Axl's 'heyday' to be between the start of the band through even the Spaghetti Incident, as he still sounds great on that record, and he's still easily in his prime age-wise.

totally agreed with you until the 88 MTV Jungle part. That is the greatest jungle of all time IMO

this is where he sounded like he swallowed a piece of sand paper

Edited by spliff
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, spliff said:

totally agreed with you until the 88 MTV Jungle part. That is the greatest jungle of all time IMO

this is where he sounded like he swallowed a piece of sand paper

I remember seeing that Jungle version live and exclaiming "What the fuck is wrong with his voice?!", but, hey, if you dig it and it speaks to you, who am I to argue?  Goes to show just how subjective it can all be. ;)

But yeah, those other two clips you posted are even worse.  He must have had laryngitis or something there.

1 hour ago, AxlCole said:

I remember seeing that Jungle version live and exclaiming "What the fuck is wrong with his voice?!", but, hey, if you dig it and it speaks to you, who am I to argue?  Goes to show just how subjective it can all be. ;)

But yeah, those other two clips you posted are even worse.  He must have had laryngitis or something there.

The second clip (of the three posted) is from the second Deer Creek show in May, 1991 and he did have a very bad cold at that time.

Edited by tsinindy

1 hour ago, Carburetta said:

Great review. Why is Coma being knocked by the media though? Partly ignorance I guess.

Dude... some people around me in SF used both Coma AND RQ for beer runs... I was like, WTF is wrong with you people? :blink:  #Ignorant

Edited by Axl_Fetish
derp

8 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Axl's heyday in 1992?

What?

The one downside I remember from the very end of the 1991 heyday (12/31/91 in Miami) was that Axl would sprint across the stage while singing.  This would lead to very out of breath moments that would sound like when I am on the treadmill and try to talk to somebody on the phone.  In these recent shows I think it sounds better that he doesn't do that anymore.  Sure he moves and will dance or run between verses sometimes but he isn't struggling to get the words out.

48 minutes ago, Axl_Fetish said:

Dude... some people around me in SF used both Coma AND RQ for beer runs... I was like, WTF is wrong with you people? :blink:  #Ignorant

2 hours ago, Carburetta said:

Great review. Why is Coma being knocked by the media though? Partly ignorance I guess.

So when people don't like the same songs that you guys do...it's because they are ignorant? Interesting logic.

Glad to see the shows are still kicking ass and getting almost all positive reviews. Can't wait to see if this lineup releases any new music or plays anything new on the tour.

Edited by Apollo

The casual fan doesn't know Coma and the fact that it's one that Slash likes to play  and how hard it is to sing  to be honest I didn't really know Coma or This I love and now they are my personal favorites one could say I'm not a casual fan anymore  :lol: