08/15/16 - Glendale, AZ - University of Phoenix Stadium

downzy

50 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Its insane to call Lies an average EP. You're entitled to enjoy Franks drumming, but thats it. 

The same way that many people didnt like the former GNR guitarist changing up Slash's solos or adding their own takes on them. The same way many feel about Adler's and Sorums drumming and they dont like Frank adding fills. Yeah, Steven played on 1 album and an EP, But he did more with those 2 projects than most drummers do in their entire career. 

And not to get _too_ nit-picky, but he also played on one song on the Illusions, and originated a few of the others live (Don't Cry, Back Off Bitch...).  :)

7 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

The same way that many people didnt like the former GNR guitarist changing up Slash's solos or adding their own takes on them. The same way many feel about Adler's and Sorums drumming and they dont like Frank adding fills. Yeah, Steven played on 1 album and an EP, But he did more with those 2 projects than most drummers do in their entire career. 

That is incorrect. They didn't like it because the changes were for the worse. Robin butchered a lot of solos, not with changes but with unmusical playing. When the changes were for the better, everyone liked them (examples nightrain both buckethead and bumblefoot outro). Frank ads fills that are more musical and creative than the original. The same way GNR improved KOHD on the original.

In conclusion. It is not about who changes what but does the change improve the musicality of the song or not.

3 minutes ago, the rush said:

That is incorrect. They didn't like it because the changes were for the worse. Robin butchered a lot of solos, not with changes but with unmusical playing. When the changes were for the better, everyone liked them (examples nightrain both buckethead and bumblefoot outro). Frank ads fills that are more musical and creative than the original. The same way GNR improved KOHD on the original.

In conclusion. It is not about who changes what but does the change improve the musicality of the song or not.

No, Its not incorrect..Its a simple opinion..The same as what is highlighted yellow that you said is JUST an opinion as well. To you the changes that Frank makes to the songs by adding his fills into them are making them better...Unfortunately for you, many do not share that same like for his fills.

Im one of them that doesn't see the need for it. The same way I hated when previous Guitar players decided to butcher Slash's parts or change them. Its like putting a bumper sticker on a Ferrari. Frank's fills happen to be the bumper sticker on Steven Adler's OG drum parts (The Ferrari). Its Unnecessary.

At the end of the day, its all taste. Far from being a fact, or being right or wrong. Everyone has different likes and dislikes.  Its OK that you like his fills. And its OK for me to see them as unnecessary. But, Its also not a deal breaker for me personally. Ive long since come to terms with it that he is the drummer, and for what its worth, aside from his fills, he's not that bad, and he seems a chill guy as well.

• Like 1

I guess I wasn't clear or you misunderstood. The proof of that is you mentioning butchered solos that were universally disliked which I already mentioned. It is incorrect that they were disliked because they were changed. They were disliked because they were not good musicality-wise. Slash's take on TIL was not good musicality-wise, at the start, It seems he's getting there. The last solo I saw was great except for a few places where it doesn't flow. 

Frank's changes flow. That is a musical fact. What you are calling an opinion is whether you like the flow or not. Not whether it flows because it does. Also, two different solos can flow. One might be more melodic than the other but they still both flow.

Steven's drums also flow but are more simple. Frank's drums also flow but are a bit more expressive and creative, they have more to say. I like that, you don't. That is an opinion

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gibbo said:

How amazing is to see a 54 yrs old guy running across the stage singing without losing a breath... Without losing a note..!

This is pure Axl and he's fantastic... He's happy and he shows it night after night.

But yeah..  "Look at his bellyyyyyy. He needs to lose some weight guys.. My goooood"

• Like 1

he's been nailing that patience outro ever since Nashville.. didn't think he could do it while running though

a week earlier he was still doing that weird old woman's voice on it.

seems like it was just a choice to sing it like that from 2011-July 2016 :shrugs:

Edited by spliff

6 hours ago, the rush said:

I guess I wasn't clear or you misunderstood. The proof of that is you mentioning butchered solos that were universally disliked which I already mentioned. It is incorrect that they were disliked because they were changed. They were disliked because they were not good musicality-wise. Slash's take on TIL was not good musicality-wise, at the start, It seems he's getting there. The last solo I saw was great except for a few places where it doesn't flow. 

Frank's changes flow. That is a musical fact. What you are calling an opinion is whether you like the flow or not. Not whether it flows because it does. Also, two different solos can flow. One might be more melodic than the other but they still both flow.

Steven's drums also flow but are more simple. Frank's drums also flow but are a bit more expressive and creative, they have more to say. I like that, you don't. That is an opinion

I disagree with a lot of this.  My wife and I were blown away by Slash's solo on TIL so much from one of the Vegas shows that we have watched it dozens of times since, and even made an mp3 of it to listen to.  He improvises on the general theme a lot, which, like all improvisations, means some nights will be better than others.  But, yeah, it's been great plenty of times.  The main difference between what he's doing on the solos for the CD stuff, verses what other guitarists did with his solos, besides the musicality... the feel... (you're right there), is that the solos he did on those records are almost as important (in some cases _just_ as important) and recognizable as the main melodies.  His playing and solos, particularly on the classic Guns stuff, are very lyrical... very memorably melodic.  So, a proper analogy would be if someone replaced Axl and then, when singing SCOM, sang maybe two or three notes of the actual melody, but changed the rest.  The same, however much some here don't want to believe it, just can't be said for the CD solos.  They're just sort of.... there.  They aren't emotional.  they aren't memorable.  They aren't extensions of the main melody and part of the fabric of the actual song.

As far as Frank's drumming.  I agree with you that his drumming flows much better now, but in the early part of this tour it definitely wasn't on the Illusions stuff.  I don't have an issue with him adding fills, but the placement of those fills was really awkward in the early part of the tour, which is what made them stand out so much.  He's settled in a lot more now. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AxlCole said:

I have to say, I completely agree. 

18 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Patience - Fucking Classic
Used To Love Her - Fucking Classic
You're Crazy - - Fucking Classic and better than the Appetite version
One In A Million - - Fucking Classic
Reckless Life - Fucking Classic
Nice Boys  - Fucking Classic
Move To The City - Fucking Classic
Mama in - - Fucking Classic

Not sure how any Guns fan can call that average.... Call it an EP  but it is still 8 songs.. Just as many if not more than most of the classic 70's albums out there. It is really two EP's. LIES and LLAS combined together for 8 songs which is enough to constitute an album. 

Bah. I agree on patience and crazy. There are good songs on it. It's just... Used to love her is funny and o.k.. I mean it's not great. I just prefer illusions over it. For me lies has good songs but no fuckin classic apart patience n crazy (and crazy is a classic for huge fans like us)

37 minutes ago, riot said:

Bah. I agree on patience and crazy. There are good songs on it. It's just... Used to love her is funny and o.k.. I mean it's not great. I just prefer illusions over it. For me lies has good songs but no fuckin classic apart patience n crazy (and crazy is a classic for huge fans like us)

You're killing me smalls ;)

• Like 2