Fortus and Izzy

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

I have no idea what the circumstances are about Izzy.. I personally don't think it was ever on the table to invite him back but that is another story.

I would love the Appetite Line Up back but I'm not hating on anyone that isn't in it for the hell of it.  Fortus is prob a great player but I don't think he fit's the Guns N' Roses sound. I don't like his tone and almost industrial effects. He is too loud in the mix. I don't like the way he alters and ruins perfect songs like Rocket Queen by trying to show off his abilities instead of staying true to the songs. I don't particularly think his and Slash's styles mesh very well. He is a lead guitarist.. 

The guitar work on Slash's last album was phenomenal.. Throw Axl and Duff on that and you would have something great.  Something that sounds like Chinese Democracy.. Not so much..

I totally get that it may be impossible to get that classic band back but anyone except Axl that detracts from the music is fair game for criticism.. There are plenty of players out there that aren't Steven or Izzy that could make this thing sound better.

It is what it is though. Slash and Duff joining NuGnR. It is NuGnR with a bad ass lead guitarist.

Fair enough....I actually agree with everything you said here....to a T.  

I just felt you were knocking Fortus bc he isn't Izzy.  Glad I was wrong on that!

• Like 1

Izzy had a sleazy guitar sound, the way he played 'Welcome to the Jungle' is actually difficult to replicate. I'm working on that style myself and it's not easy to play with that lazy strum and be in time with the other players. Alan Niven said (paraphrased) that "Izzy had a unique way of playing". He's not just hitting the strings like you're taught to in most lessons.

• Like 3

Izzy & Slash are two of my many heroes.

I cried when Izzy appeared with GN'R about 10 years ago.

I'm starting to think that the 2016 version of Guns N' Roses is it for now.

Would I like to hear what Fortus & Slash could come up with? Yeah, I'm curious.

Would I prefer it if Izzy & Steven were there instead? Absolutely.

I would love it if the Appetite 5 played the encore together.

Is that realistic? Probably not.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 3:56 PM, theconspirator said:

I think Izzy probably just doesn't care or practice much anymore. I assume he still plays a lot of acoustic stuff since he posted those videos, but I doubt he's playing electric everyday (and those are two very different instruments, I don't care what anybody says).

Also, I know Slash wanted Fortus but for which band and what year? The Conspirators?

I keep reading this BS... The guy is a good guitar player and Duff even said last fall before he got gagged that Izzy's playing is the best its ever been...

Stop living in Axls 1992 quotes....

It is not GnR without Izzy, just a cover band with a top hat....

It is now rather trendy to criticise Sorum, Gilby, Adler and even Izzy, hitherto on his way to sainthood, now. I suppose these chaps have replaced Slash on Axl's hate list, now that Axl and Slash have decided to get what cash they can from the prawn sandwiches. The fans consequentially direct their ire elsewhere, like the changing seasons.

14 minutes ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

Just listen to this...These two are a powerful duo!!! They have great chemistry and play off each other really well. It reminds me of Keith n' Mick Taylor.

Simply fuck off!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is now rather trendy to criticise Sorum, Gilby, Adler and even Izzy, hitherto on his way to sainthood, now. I suppose these chaps have replaced Slash on Axl's hate list, now that Axl and Slash have decided to get what cash they can from the prawn sandwiches. The fans consequentially direct their ire elsewhere, like the changing seasons.

Simply fuck off!!

Adler has always been the 'joke' of the originals. There is plenty of support for Sorum on the forum, and for that matter Adler (more positive support about him over the last year or so than any other year tbh).

Izzy has had a bit of stick, noticed a couple of posts, but come off it...... hardly ppl ripping into him.

Sounds like you're on the tied old bandwagon of assuming everyone or anyone who doesn't agree with you or has different impressions of members than you, means they're Axl fan boys. So sick of reading stuff like that, equivalant of a cheap shot or a 'i know you are but what am I' argument :P

This current lineup is the most positive I've seen this forum regarding Guns in a long time, when there are discussions about current lineups, ex players, 'what if' scenarios around lineups and appearance, who plays what better etc. etc. etc.

Anyways On Topic - exicted to see how the FOrtus & Slash combo evolves, but i don't think the Wish You Were Here jam is any indication of their chemistry or how well they play off each other. Slash is noodling around on the main licks/solos of the song, which lots of ppl can do, whilst Fortus is 'soloing' the melody,.....not sure that shows that they're a good combo or not. 

4 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

Sounds like you're on the tied old bandwagon of assuming everyone or anyone who doesn't agree with you or has different impressions of members than you, means they're Axl fan boys. So sick of reading stuff like that, equivalant of a cheap shot or a 'i know you are but what am I' argument :P

I do not know if you are 'Axl fan boys' or something else. You could in fact be 'Slash boys'. But you lot are certainly as fickle as the wind. Let me ask you one question: where is Stinson now? Stinson is discarded. The General, the 'saviour of GN'R', is now on the scrap heap of history. Yet, If Axl had kept Stinson and reunited with merely Slash, you lot would be discussing ''the amazing interplay between Stinson and Slash''. Fickle as the wind.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not know if you are 'Axl fan boys' or something else. You could in fact be 'Slash boys'. But you lot are certainly as fickle as the wind. Let me ask you one question: where is Stinson now? Stinson is discarded. The General, the 'saviour of GN'R', is now on the scrap heap of history. Yet, If Axl had kept Stinson and reunited with merely Slash, you lot would be discussing ''the amazing interplay between Stinson and Slash''. Fickle as the wind.

I genuinely like the Fortus/Slash combo even if I prefer the rare perfect combination of Izzy and Slash. It's not like people forget how amazing they sounded on Appetite together, but Slash and Fortus do sound good in this incarnation of Guns to many here it seems.

Tommy was a part of one of the best bands ever. He's drinking nowdays. No one is Mick Taylor but Mick Taylor and he looks very funny now but can still play. I'll duplicate two Mick Taylors and it will probably still sound versatile. But Fortus was influenced by him as well.

Edited by Rovim

On 4/3/2016 at 5:50 PM, SoulMonster said:

Izzy is good at writing music, Richard is good at playing guitar.

Izzy is terrific at writing music and is just as good -- if not better -- at playing the guitar.

Its not how many chords you can play or how many notes you can hit. Its the groove, the rhythm.. Its in the right hand. Very few people in rock n roll world are as gifted as Izzy at playing rhythm guitar. He is up there with the best of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

Just listen to this...These two are a powerful duo!!! They have great chemistry and play off each other really well. It reminds me of Keith n' Mick Taylor.

i hope this richard fortus guy can have his own band so he can solo like that all he wants just as far away as possible from GNR

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I like Richard, I don't have a problem with him being Izzy's replacement (would be ok with Gilby as well, he did a great job back then). What I don't understand is why some people try to convince everyone that it's better for GNR to have Fortus instead of Izzy, it's absolutely senseless! You can somehow like Fortus more and I totally respect that, but nothing's better for GNR that those guys who made it what it is, and Izzy's relevance was HUGE. If Izzy doesn't want to do it (pure speculation so far and doesn't seem to be the case) then I'm glad they have Richard, but of course it would be better with Izzy.

Also, I hope Richard apologized to Slash for the shit he's said until just a few months ago.

What did Richard say?

He said:  And he (Axl) won't talk. He won't defend himself. People like Slash know that. They know Axl's not going to defend himself in the press. So they'll say whatever they want about him knowing he's not going to refute it

He said that last July, when Slash had said nothing but good things about Axl for years. http://rock.about.com/od/Interviews/fl/Interview-Richard-Fortus-Talks-Guns-N-Roses-and-The-Dead-Daisies.htm

Don't know who your second post was directed at, I LOVE Richard's playing. He's my favorite member of the "NuGNR" after Bucket.

Oh come on...

It's really a question who's the better guitarist? I mean, you're all really standing inside of the pit and think "oh my god, Fortus is so much better than Izzy..."?

I'd bet every single one of you would piss their pants in excitement if Izzy would walk up on stage... ?

2 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

He said:  And he (Axl) won't talk. He won't defend himself. People like Slash know that. They know Axl's not going to defend himself in the press. So they'll say whatever they want about him knowing he's not going to refute it

He said that last July, when Slash had said nothing but good things about Axl for years. http://rock.about.com/od/Interviews/fl/Interview-Richard-Fortus-Talks-Guns-N-Roses-and-The-Dead-Daisies.htm

Don't know who your second post was directed at, I LOVE Richard's playing. He's my favorite member of the "NuGNR" after Bucket.

He also pulled that stupid stunt when Slash guested with Thin Lizzy, melodramatically refusing to play with Slash so as not to offend the redhead.

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

And lol, if you are criticizing Fortus' playing get your ears checked. Enjoying his style with Slash has nothing to do with Izzy being there or not. 

Yeah. He may not be Izzy, but he's 10000x better than Gilby and his and Slash's playing really flows together well. Izzy isn't there right now, but Fortus shouldn't be condemned cause he's not Izzy. No one hated on Gilby because he wasn't Izzy back in the day.

Fortus is writting his own History with Guns N' Roses and Guns N' Roses is writing its own History with Richard Fortus.

It's a natural feeling. He is a BAND MEMBER. He is part of the BAND. He is part of the familly.

To me, Richard is the Ronnie Wood of Guns N' Roses : I'm sure he'll still be here when he turns 70.

I saw the band 3 times in 2066, 2010 and 2012 and Fortus was BY FAR the best guitar player in the band. I mean BY FAR. No questions asked.

And the guy knows how to write! Listen to the Dead Daisies album, Fortus is phenomenal. Listen to "You and I" or "Make the best of it"... it's as good as Slash!!

I love Izzy but the Present and Future of Guns N' Roses is Richard Fortus.

Fantastic player, fantastic artist and Fantastic entertainer.

This guy is a genius and a true Gunner now! he is part of the familly. 

Edited by Caraibes

2 hours ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

Yeah. He may not be Izzy, but he's 10000x better than Gilby and his and Slash's playing really flows together well. Izzy isn't there right now, but Fortus shouldn't be condemned cause he's not Izzy. No one hated on Gilby because he wasn't Izzy back in the day.

Most people aren't condemning Fortus because he isn't Izzy. It is because they don't think he the right fit for this.. I don't think he is.. He could be worse but I don't think him and Slash flow together at all. And no way is he 1000x better than Gilby for this band. I saw the band 3 times with Gilby and as good as last week in Vegas was, it wasn't as good as those shows. There are a million bootlegs out there that say the same. The R&RHOF lineup sounded more like Gn'R than this lineup does. Gilby also had great backing vocals.