Chinese Democracy Tracks: Who plays the Buckethead/Bumblefoot parts?

5 hours ago, scooby845 said:

This is the thing I a most interested in... given how many of you, including me like TWAT where solo makes 90% of the song, I am really interested in Slash's take on it. AS much as I love him, I would really love him to stay true to that kickass solo or give it to Fortus... Thoughts?

Some song's solos are integral to the entire song itself. Sort of like Estranged and November Rain, the melody of said songs, are key to the song (especially for weathered listeners / fans of the song).....changing solos drastically in these types of songs, changes the song itself as well. I think TWAT is one of these, and Slash will have to be closer to the original than not - there is still plenty of room for him to push it elsewhere and his own spin, style and sound to it, which will be great.

In fact, there is probably more room in TWAT to do this, than there was in Estranged & Nov. Rain for FInck/Bucket/Bumble.

Lots of ppl have mentioned how difficult the TWAT solos are, but when listening i don't necessarily hear how its any more advanced than other things Slash has done in the past. Its perhaps more liner, structured, and specific, but I don't think is technically out of Slashs realm (more stylistically out). Pretty sure they'll nail the song, and going by the soundcheck version....sounds like that statement may be true. 

Slightly off topic - i'm slowly starting to think this might be the best modern incarnation of the band, and like how they're not ignoring CD songs (however, to me, Better just stands out / doesn't fit with this band in the set. THe other CD songs so far I don't get that vibe).

49 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I think the whole thing's gonna miss the 3rd guitar hugely. Every Guns album's been recorded with 3 guitar parts, note parts rather than tracks, not just duplications for filling the sound out.

They did alright back when there were only Izzy and Slash then Gilby and Slash. You're never gonna get the 3 guitar thing of Appetite without 3 guitar players, and tbh, Bucket's parts already don't sound as good live as when Bumble played those.

What's cool about the Slash/Fortus combo is that you get a mean and lean sound and they fill out the spaces nicely.

It didn't feel like there was any empty space without the 3rd guitarist in all honesty - credit to the guys for reworking some of the Chinese Democracy stuff to suit the situation.

Chinese Democracy - Slash takes the Robin solo, Richard takes on the Buckethead killswitch solo.

Better - Richard takes the sweeping bit after the first verse, Slash takes main solo

This I Love - Slash takes (and absolutely nails) the main solo.

14 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

It didn't feel like there was any empty space without the 3rd guitarist in all honesty - credit to the guys for reworking some of the Chinese Democracy stuff to suit the situation.

Chinese Democracy - Slash takes the Robin solo, Richard takes on the Buckethead killswitch solo.

Better - Richard takes the sweeping bit after the first verse, Slash takes main solo

This I Love - Slash takes (and absolutely nails) the main solo.

Slash did not absolutely nail anything yet. But I believe he will nail all the solos for the Chinese material with time. He's just improvising and when he has enough time with the chord progressions, killer solos with musical direction come out of him.

At least it will sound better compared to now which is also pretty good imo. No complaints, he sounds great.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

Slash did not absolutely nail anything yet. But I believe he will nail all the solos for the Chinese material with time. He's just improvising and when he has enough time with the chord progressions, killer solos with musical direction come out of him.

At least it will sound better compared to now which is pretty good imo. No complaints, he sounds great.

I thought he was fantastic on that This I Love solo. Maybe our definition of 'nailing' something differs? The solo sounded like he had practised it and wasn't completely improvising as they sounded very similar both notes. I absolutely love Robin's solo, but wonder how Chinese Democracy would've fared if they had actually included Slash on a couple of songs like Axl had wanted, especially on this song.

9 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

I thought he was fantastic on that This I Love solo. Maybe our definition of 'nailing' something differs? The solo sounded like he had practised it and wasn't completely improvising as they sounded very similar both notes. I absolutely love Robin's solo, but wonder how Chinese Democracy would've fared if they had actually included Slash on a couple of songs like Axl had wanted, especially on this song.

I enjoy and appreciate all of Slash's noodlings in Guns. I just think he's still trying to nail it down which means not losing musical direction between licks and chord changes during the solo. Robin's This I Love solo is a perfectly connected melody. Slash is playing his own kind of melody so it takes time to get all the notes right, the phrasing, timing, etc.

Some of Slash's This I Love solo is great while other parts don't sound like a part of the melody which is the solo itself. I love his takes on the Chinese material though. Even if it's not as good as the originals.

Nailing it is when Bucket played the outro for Nightrain for example. Again, I think Slash will get there with enough attempts.

Edit: he did nail the solo for The Seeker so I was technically wrong but that was just a cover. His playing in general is much better and not just technically, the fire is back like in Safari Inn studio.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

Slash's intro to Chinese Democracy and Better are great, fantastic. His tone on the opening riff of CD sounds incredible to me.

Not too happy with the TIL solo. Its ok, not that its shite but Robin's solo on the album is great and i'm kinda thinking it will be almost impossible to top.